Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You can't get in the pod?

Is it "E"?

You are on PC?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4577998 - 08/23/21 06:17 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Got it DB turned around and went to a different pod behind me and looking in the Activate E choice showed and they shut the door on me.I tried using a game pad yesterday but didn't like it.I'm just getting my feet wet with Fallout.Bloody shot has me knackered a bit but at least I've gotten rolling with this game.It's good to take a break from flying

Russ
Semper Fi
#4578003 - 08/23/21 07:02 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK cool. I just zoned out for a bit and wondered what it would be like to have FO4 be your first Fallout game.

FO3 was mine and many things from that game have stood the test of time (and fading memory). Very memorable and unique compared to what I had played before. We're going back to 2008 here. I vividly recall emerging from vault 101 in to the blinding sunshine and just how freaking awesome it was. Nuka cola, Megaton, Lucas Sims, who had a cool vibe, and I dug his style. So much so that as soon as I could sport a long duster and a similar hat I did so. The Super Duper Mart, Reilly's Raiders. The trip with Liberty Prime to retake the Jefferson Memorial. The radio stations. Tranquility Lane, Big Town and Rivet City. Well I could go on and on. But all this sticks with me even 13 years later.

Emerging from the vault this time was less transcendent. How much of that is due to familiarity and how much due to how it is in the game is hard to say, but it did not have the same effect .

New Vegas is probably the better game from a mechanical and design standpoint, but it's hard to overcome the visceral effect that FO3 imparted. Too early for me to judge where FO4 falls within this particular trio, but so far it feels worthy of inclusion at the very least.

#4578027 - 08/24/21 03:43 AM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
The current Fallout 4 is quite different from the game I first played back in 2015, which was not only glitchy in the usual sense, but the difficultly scaling was wonky and you could be suddenly overwhelmed with random high level spawns.

Also, the game was stingy when it came to loot and building resources, and of course you didn't have access to the DLC content.

It all made for a more challenging start, which I kind of liked, although you become just as overpowered by the late game.

#4578044 - 08/24/21 11:23 AM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
although you become just as overpowered by the late game.

This is pretty much a universal trait for all of the FPS/RPG games that I've played so far. It was most pronounced in the recent Deus Ex games where you are essentially a demi-god once you have all of the abilities and skills unlocked and maxed out.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4578085 - 08/24/21 09:40 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
This is pretty much a universal trait for all of the FPS/RPG games that I've played so far. It was most pronounced in the recent Deus Ex games where you are essentially a demi-god once you have all of the abilities and skills unlocked and maxed out.

Fallout 4 is a pretty extreme example of this though, as you are pretty much invincible past the early game without even optimizing your character.

#4578115 - 08/25/21 12:22 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm now level 23 and I'm not close to invincible. Those #%&*$# bloodbugs are lethal! I ran across a legendary one last night and it kicked my ass. I'm still dying a fair amount. I'm wearing combat armor with level 1 ballistic weave on fatigues. I'll put more points in to armorer to keep bumping this.

Things got better though with the ballistic weave, which I only knew to get from reading the internet. Without that I probably would have played through the game without even knowing about it. This is a big boost to armor rating. The bottleneck is the ballistic fiber needed to craft it, but I found a vendor selling a shipment, which cost a small fortune. But I had not bought anything at all to that point so had plenty of caps. Grab every military duct tape you come across.

Settlement defense is a joke, and I'll probably just ignore it when I see on the map that a settlement needs help defending itself. I fast travel there and am immediately piled on by a swarm of enemies. Last night I tried it and as soon as I dropped in to the 3D I was pounced on by four tankbots, and stood no chance. Maybe if I fast traveled close by and then approached from a distance I'd have some chance with these? Not sure what the penalty is for not responding, but if I don't find a different approach that stands a chance then I'll just ignore it and take the hit.

Still not sold on companions. I've been running with Deacon as he's pretty cool and has a nice companion perk that gives +20% sneak attack damage which is strong and dovetails nicely with my playstyle. If there were 'formation' commands and I could ask him to trail me at a distance it would be better. The companions aren't much use in combat, other than as an agg magnet. I prefer going it alone and if I'm able to get Deacon's perk I'll probably go lone wanderer and then if I ever play FO4 again I'll maybe give the companions another shot.

Deacon seems to like everything I do and say, but as far as I can tell I've not maxxed him out. How do you know you've reached it? I guess I would see evidence of this perk in the Pip Boy? Is there a notification?

#4578116 - 08/25/21 12:32 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond

Settlement defense is a joke,

I largely ignored this aspect when I played. I think all I did was built a few MG turrets at a couple of my settlements and that's it. It just seemed to me to be unnecessary tedious stuff to keep tabs on.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4578123 - 08/25/21 02:03 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Is it true that if the defense rating is high enough that the settlements won't be attacked? Like if it's 'green' does that stop these attacks, or what is the requirement?

I only have defenses set up at three settlements, maybe I should make some rounds and set up more. it would be nice to put an end to this.

I talked before about how it nags at me that I spent my SPECIAL points the way that I did. Too many in Intelligence and not enough in Agility or Luck. So I decided to go find the Agility bobblehead last night to help mitigate this. It's on a boat with NPCs much higher level than I am, including a legendary boss. I made it on to the boat then spent about an hour! sniping from the pilothouse near the stern. Take a shot, which alerts the NPCs, hide until they revert, then another shot, and repeat. In this way I was able to get them all until it was just Rags left. For him I laid out some bottlecap mines, and then fired a shot to get him to investigate. He triggered a mine, which I guess crippled his leg and he sat down. I approached him to see if I could talk to him, but no, so I shot him with Deliverer and went to grab the bobblehead.

I got a fantastic gun somewhere along the line. It's a lever action, double shot legendary, but takes .45-70 rounds of which I've seen none so far. The stats says it does about triple the damage of my best guns now.

I'm having a swell time with Fallout 4, this was a good choice smile

#4578132 - 08/25/21 03:43 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I agree with that that DB.Best game I've played in a long time.A bit hard to learn but having fun with it.The learning will come in time.Well worth the effort to spend time working stuff out.Good break from flight sims that were getting to be the same old same old.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4578137 - 08/25/21 03:59 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Anything you want to know? Post it up.

#4578140 - 08/25/21 04:58 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Since I'm just a little ahead of you it's all fresh. Here are a few things I would offer as tips

-- Get armorer perk and ballistic weave. This allows you to boost the AR on clothing and hats. So you can wear fatigues for example under your armor pieces and get a big boost to the rating, at top tier a set of army or military fatigues can reach 110 AR before the armor pieces are added in, plus add either +1 STR and +1 AGL (army) or +2 AGL (Military). Follow the Freedom Trail quest you'll get in Boston to unlock this. It takes a while, but very much worth it.

-- Do quests for all factions. Eventually you need to choose one, but that's way down the line.

-- Carry a gasmask. Radiation is an issue, and Radaway is precious early on. Carry a gasmask to give you some protection. Of course you might opt to use power armor all the time, which takes care of that. But who runs around in power armor. Seriously. biggrin

-- Choose early perks wisely. Lots to choose from, and depends to an extent on how you spent your SPECIALs. But some are more beneficial than others. Perks like Lead Belly and Toughness might seem a good idea at first, but these are the sorts of perks that will fade as the game goes on and you might regret that point. 10 DR is nothing later on. Early on I'd suggest focusing on a gun type (Rifleman, Gunslinger, Commando) to hit harder. Locksmith, Medic, Sneak.

-- Carry several guns using different ammo types. Ammo is scarce early on, and if you don't do this you will run out. So carry multiple weapons and rotate them to build ammo stocks. I took one level of Scrounger to help here, but now at level 23 I have gobs of it. So one point early will help when ammo is an issue, but done right you won't need to drop another point in to it.

-- Embrace crafting. Gather everything. This can be ignored, but I think that's a mistake. Grab Gun Nut and Armorer perks so you can modify these items. Gather as much as you can when out on patrol or missions, drop it at a settlement. To modify your equipment and to do the settlement thing you'll need lots of stuff. Grab every military duct tape or ammo bag you see, as these provide the ballistic fiber needed for the weave enhancement. Learn what items yield which materials and which items have the highest utility versus weight so you can be selective since capacity is limited. Cooked food has some nice effects too. Drop it all at the same workshop until you get Local Leader perk (if you do). Aluminum, adhesives, fertilizer, watches for gears and more are key mats you'll always need.

-- Hold R to holster weapon

-- Hold E to exit power armor

-- Hold Tab for Pip-Light

-- Sneak is really powerful. Not only do you get a constant alerted status for SA, you get an automatic critical when attacking an unalerted enemy from sneak. So take the Sneak perk, boost Agility and look for any other items that enhance it (muffled, shadowed, etc). Some players won't want a stealth build, but it is really strong in this game.

-- Scrapping weapons and armor removes their mods for later use, if so equipped

-- You can use VATS to scout and find mines

#4578145 - 08/25/21 06:16 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Thanks DB,Getting some great information from this thread.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4578153 - 08/25/21 07:42 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Anytime, but if you have specific questions just ask. You may have known all that I just posted.

I'm just saying this because you posted that it's hard to learn, and there are several vets here who know the game and I'm getting there. And of course I like discussing these sorts of things and am happy to help.

#4578156 - 08/25/21 08:44 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Settlement defense ratings are misleading because it does not account for important factors like settler equipment and the majority of fortification features.

A settlement that's filled with well armed and armored settlers, is effectively walled off, and has well sited defensive turrets beats the crap out of one with a much higher rating where that isn't the case.

Of course, the latter will fair better when you're not actually there.

#4578192 - 08/26/21 12:25 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That makes sense but what I'm wondering is is there a point where the rating is high enough that the raids or attacks stop spawning? Will they only happen when below a certain level? Or will they always happen regardless?

My settlements are far from having walls. At most it's two turrets. I had brought up arming the settlers earlier, but I have yet to do this. I've not really gotten in to settlement building and management aside from what is needed to do the Minuteman quest line. I have three with any level of improvement, and the rest are left to their own devices. After visiting four or five I saw where this was headed and I stopped visiting more. And then you get the Railroad's safe houses, and the castle from a Minuteman mission. It doesn't take long before you've got a bunch to tend to.

For now I'm mostly ignoring it, but I can see the appeal for some players. I'm about ready to start the quest line that will lead to the Charisma bobblehead, which will raise it to 6 and then I'll take Local Leader and maybe start getting more involved once I have the supply lines in place. I was thinking I could give power armor and heavy weapons to each of the supply line 'runners'. Get them out on patrol.

#4578199 - 08/26/21 03:11 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Back to companions....

OK so I've used three so far, Dog Meat, Piper and Deacon. I've spent quite a bit of time with Deacon now trying to get his companion bonus. "Deacon liked that" has flashed on the screen plenty of times, I've exhausted all of this dialog options at every chance. But still no companion perk as far as I can tell. I want to ask again, how will I know? Is there a notification that flashes up, or will it appear n the perk list in the Pip Boy?

I get that some folks will enjoy the flavor that these companions provide, the dialog, the backstories. But I'm not feeling it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but Deacon and I did a mission last night, the confrontation with Kellogg in Fort Hagen. I've given Deacon a combat shotgun, a sniper rifle, a laser rifle and handgun, and some ammo for each. We go in to the fort and he is using the sniper rifle in close quarters, hip firing. Very slowly lol. Next to useless in combat. Anytime we get jumped I'm firing away and he's off doing something other than firing his weapon it seems. After the enemy is dead here he comes like nothing happened and I say something sarcastic. I've been speaking out loud to these companions, and little of it is good.

For example when I was with Piper I came across the USS Constitution (which was a great quest for what it's worth, very Fallout). I had trouble finding the entrance for a bit, then as the quest rolls on I have to leave and return several times. So over the course of all this coming and going, Piper said, at least one hundred times (maybe a little exaggeration)

"This didn't sail up here did it?" Over, and over and over.

So I start taking back. I mean me, not my character, Dave.

Yeah Piper, it sure did. High tide don't you know. Must be the ebb at the mo.

Sure Piper, this is dry dock.

Let me roll my eyes a little farther and I'll see.

And plenty more snark, outta me, I reckon.

She's kinda cute, and bubbly and still I got rid of her and tried Deacon, who seems cool, but again, just about useless in combat. So I start wondering if I should just ditch these companions. Yeah, I'll miss their perks, but if every one takes as long as it is taking with Deacon, I'll not come close to getting them all. Lone Wanderer is that much closer now.

So the question is, if I take Lone Wanderer, does that mean I can no longer use companions? Or just that if I do take a companion I don't get Lone Wanderer bonuses while they are in the party? Dog Meat is actually quite handy in combat (and I bet Danse is too). I can take LW and still have the dog along, and I think once I get Deacon's bonus I'm going solo with the mutt.

The dog doesn't say stoopid stuff, doesn't judge your actions, finds useful things, does not break stealth, does not try to shoot through me, does not cross my line of fire and is useful in combat. Plus I love dogs. One of my favorite sayings is

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog"

#4578239 - 08/26/21 06:21 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by DBond
That makes sense but what I'm wondering is is there a point where the rating is high enough that the raids or attacks stop spawning? Will they only happen when below a certain level? Or will they always happen regardless?

My settlements are far from having walls. At most it's two turrets. I had brought up arming the settlers earlier, but I have yet to do this. I've not really gotten in to settlement building and management aside from what is needed to do the Minuteman quest line. I have three with any level of improvement, and the rest are left to their own devices. After visiting four or five I saw where this was headed and I stopped visiting more. And then you get the Railroad's safe houses, and the castle from a Minuteman mission. It doesn't take long before you've got a bunch to tend to.

For now I'm mostly ignoring it, but I can see the appeal for some players. I'm about ready to start the quest line that will lead to the Charisma bobblehead, which will raise it to 6 and then I'll take Local Leader and maybe start getting more involved once I have the supply lines in place. I was thinking I could give power armor and heavy weapons to each of the supply line 'runners'. Get them out on patrol.

I believe it you get the defense rating above 100, you'll only experience scripted and random attacks from enemies that spawn nearby. Not sure about vertibirds.

Getting the rating to that level is not easy to do at many locations, at least early on. I like to put turrets in groups of four on a two level scaffold, and have a bunch of these facing broadside to the most likely avenues of attack.

IMO, you're best off only developing a handful of the more easily managed spots until later on when you have lots of resources.

#4578254 - 08/26/21 08:51 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, good advice Crane. 10 defense is a long way from 100 defense lol.

I'm going to partially ignore this. Through time I'll make improvements here and there, or maybe repairs with this attitude.

It's feeling like something I would be more keen on if I decide to go off grid and live in the game world as opposed to following the quest lines. That's possible down the line, like I did with the Stalker games. So far though I'm not interested enough in the settlement side to the game. A little here, a little there, seeing it slowly morph over time. Thankfully the repercussions of inattention don't seem bad.

#4578319 - 08/27/21 12:14 PM Re: Fallout 4 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I logged on last night and the very first thing I did was spin around and talk to Deacon, and just like that I hit max affinity and got the companion bonus. To answer my earlier questions, the notification comes on screen and has to be clicked away so you cannot miss it and the perk is in the list in the Pip Boy. I haven't bothered with the stealth boy, but the +20% sneak attack damage is great. So I said "later" to Deacon and went and joined up with Danse and did some of the BoS quest line. Now this dude is effective in combat!

Alas, I have a problem. My faithful mutt was sent to Sanctuary when I hooked up with Deacon. I saw the dog there later, at the doghouse near the stream. During the Kellogg quest we had to do some tracking, and it was suggested that perhaps Dog Meat could get a scent off an item found in the target's house and lead us to him. As we left the house in Diamond City surprisingly Dog Meat was standing right outside and led us to the objective.

But since then I cannot find him. He's not in Sanctuary, I checked both doghouses. He's not at the Red Rocket, He's not still waiting outside the fort he led us to. I built the bell that is supposed to call friendlies, but Dog Meat did not show. Where is he? How can I find him?

Page 3 of 58 1 2 3 4 5 57 58

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.