Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 61 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 60 61
#4614249 - 11/19/22 08:01 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That's a great suggestion, as it's really good armor that can be bought. The legendary or whatever effects are strong too. However it's the most expensive stuff in the game isn't it? and I can't afford it. Plus it's heavy, one arm piece weighs about as much as my entire get up. I think it's too expensive to try and find it's not for me, but I could always just reload a save I suppose. If I could afford it! Have you used it Crane? I read you can upgrade it to even better (heavier) armor called Inquisitor or Zealot, I forget.

Commando armor's out, as I think there's only a helmet and chest piece, and it looks silly. I'd love a good duster like the ones from Lonesome Road or Fallout 3. What I'm wearing now feels like the best compromise between ballistic protection and light weight stealth. Just don't like how it looks.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4614251 - 11/19/22 08:24 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
The lightweight mods really bring the weight down to a reasonable level on the Marine armor.

I used the Inquisitor version on one of my playthroughs, it's good aside from not being able to wear it under Power Armor IIRC.

All things considered, it's hard to beat a Courser uniform with maxed out ballistic weave though.

#4614256 - 11/19/22 08:44 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I have one of them. Do you happen to know what the ratings are with full weave on it? I'll have to look that up

Oh wait, I tried this a couple days ago. I couldn't put armor pieces over it and I think with full weave the Courser uniform is only a little better than a plain set of fatigues with full weave.

Yeah, I looked it up. Courser uni with full weave is 140 Ballistic, 135 Energy, 15 Radiation, +1 Perception and +1 Endurance. That's pretty good, but without being able to put armor over it is way behind what I am wearing. Outside of Survival I'd be fine with it. But I need more protection haha.

Yeah, I don't think a better alternative is in FO4 for me honestly. Which game did I play recently where you could make any armor look like any other armor? I need that.

Last edited by DBond; 11/19/22 08:50 PM.

#4614344 - 11/20/22 04:20 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I took a look at what I am wearing and the weights.

Fatigues 3
Chest piece 1.5
Arms .8 x 2
Legs .8 x 2
Newsboy cap .4

Total 7.3

That is super light. Ultra-light, technically smile With the weight of the armor affecting stealth I wanted to go as light as possible while still getting decent protection. The numbers on this get up are 279/320 ballistic/energy with 15 radiation. That's good protection from kit so light I think, plus each piece of armor has Shadowed on it to further enhance the stealth and visibility. The chest piece does not have Shadowed, although I have one with it. But I'm rocking a BoS piece that grants increasing DR in inverse proportion to remaining health.

Of course this is only possible with ballistic weave, which is one of the most OP things in the game.

#4614388 - 11/21/22 12:40 AM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I thought my arm pieces would weigh the same, after all they are identical. The right side one is .8, but left is 3.4? Maybe it matters the order you do the modifications? Like could this have been caused by putting ultralight on before shadowed instead of the other way around? Don't want to be heavier than I need to be so I want to see what's going on.

Just patrolling around south of the city where I haven't been in a while so the repop cooldown had cooled down so it's busy, lots of targets. Carrying just a .308 OG after swapping the scope for a reflex, and Deliverer. Gained two levels pretty quick and points unspent. Survival mode offers double XP on kill, and with Idiot Savant firing occasionally, combat is a fast XP earner in this mode. I'm closing in on level 90 and I'd guess I'd be well short of that in a different mode. Combat is a massive part of it so the double XP must add up to a lot.

Anyone taken the Ricochet perk? I like the sound of it, as it grants a chance an enemy's ranged attack could bounce back and kill him. But I wonder how often it fires? It's also possible that friendly fire could result in you having caused the death of the friendly, turning them hostile? Or it can kill a companion?

The companion thing doesn't worry me as I only use the dog, and he's got no weapons. But I could see answering the call to the many checkpoint defense battles in the post-main quest world causing me to turn them hostile if someone tries to shoot through me. Plus I'd have to sink three points in to Luck to reach it. I'd like to test it but it's too steep to do that.

#4614530 - 11/22/22 01:38 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
All this Fallout 4 talk has given me some interest in reinstalling it. Maybe I'll do so after I finish up a couple of my current games. I went with supporting the Institute during my playthrough so if I play a second time I may end up supporting either the Freedom Railroad faction or the Brotherhood of Steel. I think the only achievements I missed out on are the mission-specific ones for supporting those factions.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4614563 - 11/22/22 07:52 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
All this Fallout 4 talk has given me some interest in reinstalling it. Maybe I'll do so after I finish up a couple of my current games. I went with supporting the Institute during my playthrough so if I play a second time I may end up supporting either the Freedom Railroad faction or the Brotherhood of Steel. I think the only achievements I missed out on are the mission-specific ones for supporting those factions.

If I could ever bring myself to do another playthrough, it would be with extensive mods.

There's only so much you can do in the vanilla game.

#4614568 - 11/22/22 08:05 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: Crane Hunter]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter

I agree but quite honestly I wouldn't know what I would want modded. I really have no complaints about the game. I guess an enhanced graphics/textures mod would be nice. I know for a fact that Fallout 76 looks better than Fallout 4.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4614579 - 11/22/22 09:34 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er

I agree but quite honestly I wouldn't know what I would want modded. I really have no complaints about the game. I guess an enhanced graphics/textures mod would be nice. I know for a fact that Fallout 76 looks better than Fallout 4.

That's the thing, there are too many choices!

At the very least I would go with something that improves the combat mechanics, and expands the existing gameworld a bit. For example there are many mods that improve the factions and some that add new ones.

Or, you could wait for something like Fallout Miami.

#4614620 - 11/23/22 11:37 AM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: Crane Hunter]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Or, you could wait for something like Fallout Miami.

I just can't see that working. For the Fallout experience you really need a varied topography which incudes mountains, valleys, caves, plateaus, etc. Miami has none of that.

#4614622 - 11/23/22 01:12 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
All this Fallout 4 talk has given me some interest in reinstalling it.

Yes sir. I'd highly recommend doing a survival run. Mod it if necessary, but for me straight vanilla's in a good place. The combat alone is worth playing this way I think and the double XP is sweet to build a more robust character..

I finished the Grand Tour quest in Nuka World. Cleared all four parks and assigned them to factions. Two to the Operators and two to the Pack, the Disciples got nothing and don't like it. Done this way for the faction perks, which I might not get, because I read that if you do Home Sweet Home not only does Preston hate you (I knew this) but the Minutemen turn hostile (which I didn't know). The way I did the end of the main quest was to achieve a certain state in the post-quest world, and the minutemen have established checkpoints all around the map, and I'd like to keep them friendly. I'd also like to select which settlements become raider, and I left a number untouched through the game for this purpose. But I don't think I'll get to choose, instead handed a list. I have yet to talk to Shank and went back to Far Harbor for a bit.

Grand Tour was pretty tough. Especially Kiddie Kingdom which I broke in to three parts. The radiation is insane. The park had mist water sprayers to keep park-goers cool before the war, and now the water coming out is radioactive and it's everywhere. In survival this is a b!tch because radaway and rad-X cause all sort of issues, like thirst, insomnia, illness and fatigue. It was quite the challenge but I finally made it through yesterday. Had a good time, but it was no walk in the park.

Hit level 92!

Level 86 -- Big Leagues. +20% Melee damage.

Level 87 -- Blitz. This gives more range for VATS melee attacks. I don't use melee much, but these two points just spent give it a boost

Level 88 -- Spent one point in Luck (8)

Level 89 -- Used that point to take Grim Reaper's Sprint which grants a 15% chance to refill AP on VATS kill

Levels 90 through 92 -- Spent three points in Perception (8) to get to Concentrated Fire at level 10

#4614684 - 11/23/22 10:39 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I just can't see that working. For the Fallout experience you really need a varied topography which incudes mountains, valleys, caves, plateaus, etc. Miami has none of that.

I don't think the real life Boston area has particularly varied terrain.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah there some mountains way off in the distance, but it's hardly Skyrim were you've got a different biome every 5 minutes walking distance.

#4614813 - 11/25/22 12:28 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Fallout 4 wasn't just Boston but also a considerable area west of the city. The entire State of Florida would be pretty dull geographically speaking for a Fallout game in my opinion.

#4614815 - 11/25/22 12:59 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Personally, where these games are set isn't important, as it's all smashed up anyway. It could be set anywhere, and I'd be OK with it. The actual place is rather inconsequential to me. It;s neat to see the local flavor, like Fenway, the Strip or the Washington Monument, but this could be true of anything they choose to do. Even a Fallout game set in a completely fictional location would work. This formula would work anywhere.

#4614832 - 11/25/22 04:33 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
But think of the fauna in a Florida Fallout. You got spiders, gators, snow birds, hogs, sharks, snakes, and florida men.

Okay, so maybe two of those are just wacky character types, but someone could make it work.

#4614836 - 11/25/22 04:40 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I forgot to mention the "decrepit industrial town" aspect. All Fallout games have had towns featured which were once hubs of heavy industry whether it be automobile plants, oil refineries, steel mills, etc. The nuclear post-apocalyptic theme works perfectly with these industrial towns since you see first hand how things were destroyed (ie the rust belt effect). Florida doesn't have that aspect at all since it's not an industrial state.

#4614839 - 11/25/22 05:43 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
New Vegas didn't have that. Or where is the industrial part you are talking about?

I think Fallout would work anywhere, as long as the smashed bits resembled not-smashed bits as they were before the bombs fell. It could be in the mountains, along the sea, under the sea even. For me settings are like a stage here, a backdrop that adds flavor and place names. But you could replace them all with other ones and the game would still feel the same. FO3 in DC has become iconic, but if FO3 had been set in say, Dallas or Prague or Wemadeitupville it still would have been a great game, just with different scenery.

Of course these famous locations ground the game, and give a broad base of players some common ground with locations we all know, I don't think it would have hurt the game if it was set somewhere else, even Florida. Wormfood's point about the creatures, and how they could be re-imagined as mutated, is actually quite enticing now that he put that thought in to my head. Death-egrets.

I'd like to see an installment that focused on the post-apocalyptic Fallout world some distance away from ground zero. It think there is a lot of license there. How a region not directly impacted by the detonations still fell in to disorder and survival even if it wasn't an irradiated hellscape.

#4614877 - 11/26/22 02:42 AM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted by DBond

I'd like to see an installment that focused on the post-apocalyptic Fallout world some distance away from ground zero. It think there is a lot of license there. How a region not directly impacted by the detonations still fell in to disorder and survival even if it wasn't an irradiated hellscape.

Fallout 76 almost started with that. Except there were still mutated creatures and a weird plague that killed off everyone and caused further mutations.

#4614882 - 11/26/22 05:37 AM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
New
Originally Posted by DBond

That was kind of New Vegas, with only a handful of nuke impacts in the Vegas area.

#4614890 - 11/26/22 01:46 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, you could say that New Vegas falls in the middle of this scale. Still plenty of radiation. And now that I think about it, the radiation is too central. A region without it would struggle to justify mutated creatures, and what's Fallout without the mutants?

But that's what fallout is, literally, right? Bombs falling over there cast their radiation over here and it could still mutate over that distance, theoretically and in Fallout's world.

Page 18 of 61 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 60 61

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.