Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 58 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 57 58
#4583571 - 10/25/21 12:40 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
the newer Doom, .

I'm curious, what was it about the latest Doom that failed to grab you?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4583572 - 10/25/21 12:47 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hard to say, not really my type of game, I guess, if I'm honest. Too busy maybe, a pacing issue. I bought it mostly to play with my son, and we played a couple of hours but never returned to it.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4583573 - 10/25/21 12:50 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Hard to say, not really my type of game, I guess, if I'm honest. Too busy maybe, a pacing issue. I bought it mostly to play with my son, and we played a couple of hours but never returned to it.

Understood. Yeah, all Doom games are essentially the same type of scifi horror frantic game play. As with anything else, that type of game play either does it for someone or it doesn't.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4584065 - 10/31/21 05:20 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er

#4613314 - 11/10/22 01:41 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Over the past year I thought from time to time about firing up Fallout 4 and giving Nuka World a go. I had visited it briefly before, after struggling with the gauntlet a bit on the way, and then when I wanted to tackle it finally I burned out and stopped playing. The main campaign was completed, but I had hardly had a sniff of Nuka World. When I loaded in my save I was in the base, with all of the DLC ahead of me.

Let's see what I think of it. I wasn't so keen on Far Harbor if I'm honest, though it's not bad, just didn't quite click for me, and I think it's the short ranges caused by the radiation fog. Nuka World has a vibe that isn't up my alley either, in terms of plot at least. But I really like Fallout 4 and more of it is good. A year is enough time to let the burn out wear off.

Fallout 4 is one of the most surprisingly good games I've played. Not sure why I doubted it. I loved FO3 and New Vegas of course, as mentioned in this thread. I guess I suspected that Bethesda would be mailing it in, and that FO4 would appeal to the console generation rather than me. And while I liked the game a lot once I gave it a go, it was when I restarted in Survival mode that the game turned in to one of my all-time favorites. Certainly right at the top of the list of games I've played in the past few years.

#4613318 - 11/10/22 01:54 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Fallout 4 is a great game indeed and I put in well over 200 hours into it. I'm still playing Fallout 76. Bethesda keeps putting out frequent updates for it so I keep coming back for more.

On a related note, I am also very curious to see how this Amazon Fallout series turns out. I believe they are still in the process of writing the scripts for the first season.

#4613331 - 11/10/22 03:26 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've just crossed 360 hours in Fallout 4.

I've given 76 several looks, mostly on your recommendation, but have not been fully convinced or pulled the trigger.

Not aware of the series and don't have the service anyway. Although I just bought a 55 inch OLED TV with smart stuff. So maybe I'll finally get around to this stuff (streaming services, netflix etc) but I'm way old school you know.

Since last playing FO4 I also bought a 32" curved monitor and Fallout's even better now smile

#4613332 - 11/10/22 03:32 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I also bought a 32" curved monitor and Fallout's even better now smile

I've had one of those for about a year now and I absolutely love it.

Like I've mentioned before with Fallout 76, it has a full single player experience just like Fallout 4 but it's set in West Virginia instead of Massachussetts. I'm pretty confident you will like it if you ever decided to give it a shot.

#4613359 - 11/10/22 09:59 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
OLED TVs make great monitors.

As for my two cents on Fallout 76. I wasn't really a fan. I preferred my Fallout single player and with options for mods. I'm not a fan of the level scaling, or when you level up you get a random pack of perks that you use to make your character. Adds some randomness, but until you're at or near max level you're usually using weird perks and weapons based off some RNG rolls, not on how you want to build your character.

The map is ok and they recently added an expansion (haven't played it). It can also be fun to run around multiplayer. Main story wasn't too bad, even if it didn't originally have any NPCs.

#4613396 - 11/11/22 01:08 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I also bought a 32" curved monitor and Fallout's even better now smile

I've had one of those for about a year now and I absolutely love it.

Same. Wasn't sure how I'd like a curved monitor but turns out I like it a lot smile

I searched something related to Nuka World last night, where to find a doctor most likely, and was reading reddit threads. This one was right below and I clicked on it to see what the discussion was

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/ym32ot/i_would_really_enjoy_fallout_76_if_you_could_play/

Essentially they are complaining about the always-online thing, which isn't a problem in itself necessarily, after all I have a number of games that are the same way, like Hitman for example. But the overall tenor of the comments is negative. Maybe just a collection of the most disheartened, and I'm sure many love 76. Panzer sure likes it.

#4613397 - 11/11/22 01:12 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Now that I've fired Fallout 4 back up, may as well keep on keepin' on with the direction of the thread.

Hit level 77

Level 76 -- Medic. At this high level I'm rather running out of attractive perks. Training SPECIALS to open more choices is probably going to be needed. But in Survival the additional healing and rad removal is handy. Each one does 40% now.

Level 77 -- Hacker. Who knows, might pay off here and there and gives me new or alternate options and some good loot too.

#4613463 - 11/12/22 01:33 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Check that. After selecting those perks I played some more and found the Splattercannon rifle for sale in the market. Until now I've not dropped a point in Commando, which boosts automatic weapons. Everything I've used in the past 370 hours has been semi automatic. My build is focused on this, along with stealth and silenced weapons. As a result I get too little damage with autos, so I never use them.

But the idea of starting to use automatics began to take root. Why not after all this time, switch it up and give the run a twist. Autos are fun in VATS too. So I reloaded a save from before I had spent those points, and instead spent them in Commando. Popped a grape mentat and bought the rifle. It comes with a long scope and that won't do. With none of my crafting materials here in Nuka World I had to scavenge a bit and then swapped out the scope for a dot reflex sight. With only two points in Commando I only get a +40% damage boost, but I'll keep sinking points. Splattercannon has the Furious legendary effect which grants increasing damage for every bullet which hits consecutively. And on automatic with a high fire rate this gun can be insanely good. The drawback is it uses 7.62 ammo, which is both heavy and can only be found in Nuka World.

My plan was to swap the receiver to 5.56 but it appears the Splattercannon cannot take a receiver change other than to semi-automatic.

So updated it is...

Hit level 77

Levels 76 and 77 -- Both points in Commando

However I read that once you advance the Nuka World plot to the point where you are expected to start taking over Commonwealth settlements, Nuka World raiders can start appearing there, meaning there can be a source of 7.62 ammunition in the main game world. But I think the idea has to be to just stock up on several thousand rounds everytime you can. Caps aren't really an issue at this stage so I can afford it. With this new aspect to my build I can use any type of weapon with good effectiveness, except heavies maybe? And melee which I've not really pursued.

But the Sandman perks give me 10x melee sneak damage. Nuka World of course has a number of unique weapons, and one of them is a knife called Throatslicer, which does 80 damage plus 25 bleed damage. With a 10x sneak attack, that's well over 800 damage, more than a bottlecap or nuka mine with full Demolitions Expert. But just after spending thousands of caps on that knife I got another great knife (no bleed effect though) that did equal damage from a drop off an enemy at the Kiddie Kingdom. So after the reload and mulligan with my perk points I did not buy Throatslicer and got the other knife to drop again and saved all those caps.

For those who don't play, the grape mentats boost charisma by 5 for a short time, so can be used to get better pricing at the vendors, and here it saved me a couple thousand caps.

As for the Nuka World DLC itself it's OK. Like Far Harbor I don't find it special really. It's different and essentially a way to keep earning XP and find some new gear. The plot and theme are fine I guess, but nothing here blows me away. And I plan to run 'em all out anyway. After all the work done in the Commonwealth to build it up I'm not going to throw it all away now. So I'm the trojan horse, just biding my time before turning on them.

Does anyone know if I leave Nuka World whether I'd need to re-run the gauntlet upon return?

#4613466 - 11/12/22 02:41 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It's Ninja, not Sandman, which gives the melee sneak attack bonus.,

#4613476 - 11/12/22 03:16 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
In the event someone here might know the answer.... I want to both obtain the Ace Operator perk and do Open Season. It can be done right? What is the optimal path here?

Do Grand Tour, then Home Sweet Home? Then start Open Season?

When do the faction perks get awarded?

Ace Operator is +25% damage to all silenced weapons and -10% visibility. Both of these are perfect synergy for my build.

#4613531 - 11/12/22 11:25 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
In one of my playthroughs I have Raiders taxing most of my Commonwealth settlements.

The resulting easy income is huge, although at this point there's not much left to do with the money besides buying resources to build a bunch of combat robots to serve as provisioners and settlement guards, and also rebuilding some of my earlier settlements with concrete and DLC objects that weren't available initially.

#4613628 - 11/14/22 01:20 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I might have to go that route too, because Nuka World is hard on survival. The thought of battling through all these raiders in this mode is daunting.

I've cleared and flagged two parks so far, Dry Gulch and the Bottling Plant.

I had nearly cleared the Galactic Zone. I spent probably two hours methodically working through it, and as I neared the final area I got hit by a freakin' courser! Killed me dead as I panicked when he started lobbing plasma grenades or something. Not only does he lob the grenades, he runs after them. A violent assault and I wilted in the face of it. Lost all that time, a level and plenty of kit that was found as I went through the facility. That's survival.

I was so disheartened by this that I left NW and went back to the CW, where I did a few quests, but I'm back in NW now. I think that courser is there because of a quest I have called Variable Removal. There are like 20 possible locations for him to be and of course here he was.

A time or two Panzer had mentioned the Nuka mixing and yeah, this is great. Some of these flavors are amazing, and any of them that restore health and don't give rads are great in this mode.

Hit Level 78

Level 78 -- Commando 3. More damage from automatics.

#4613865 - 11/16/22 01:20 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Nuka World isn't that hard really. The courser maybe made it feel that way, and the Kiddie Kingdom's radiation too. But it's not easy either. I came back to NW and forewarned with the location of that courser I laid out a few bottlecap mines. Got his attention (with a Nuka grenade!) and went the other way. He followed and set off a few mines and that was that. I've now cleared all the parks aside from Kiddie Kingdom, where I've cleared out the outside, with the buildings yet to come.

Hit Level 83 (I think).

Levels 79 and 80 -- Commando 4 and 5. Maxed out. Automatics do double damage and have higher stagger chance.

Level 81 -- Fortune Finder 2. Since starting to carry the Splattercannon (7.62 ammo) money's a little more precious. The description says "More caps in containers" but I think "Caps in more containers" is more accurate. Gotta have the cash for the bullets.

Level 82 -- Medic. It's survival mode and the struggle is real. More healing and rad removal per use.

Level 83 -- Hacker. Can hack Advanced terminals. More routes and loots.

No level cap is great, and more games should be like this.

#4614188 - 11/19/22 06:13 AM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er

#4614205 - 11/19/22 01:14 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That was good. I like how he detonated when he fell on the stairs. Very Fallout smile

Hit level 85 and spent the points in Hacker 2 and Hacker 3 so I can access any terminal. I looked at the stats, and even though I've now played for nearly 400 hours, I've only hacked 40 terminals. I can hack more of them now, (adding expert and master hacks) but it shows how rare it is. Maybe not the most efficient choice, but think it'll pay off. And anyway, I've already got all the perks I wanted.

I've been spending time back in the Wealth, running miscellaneous quests for the Railroad mostly. Bunch of freeloaders. With the Institute gone I'd think these layabouts would break up, but they're still down there smoking cigarettes and making me do everything. Bunch of nutters.

I've been rocking the same get up for so long now I've got the itch to mix it up. I'm wearing ballistic weave fatigues with ultralight shadowed combat armor and a ballistic weave newsboy cap. Light and stealthy. I wonder what other choice I might have that would change it up a bit but not forfeit the good sneak? What's the Commando armor like? Anyone else have a favorite light armor?

#4614245 - 11/19/22 07:24 PM Re: Fallout 4 (now with extra New Vegas!) [Re: DBond]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Marine Armor, although I don't think that can be classed as light, at least not out of the box.

Otherwise, the Courser uniform.

Page 17 of 58 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 57 58

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.