Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4577676 - 08/19/21 10:29 AM Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I have had my eye on this product for a while but it hasn't been available here in Aus anywhere and is rather expensive, finally bit the bullet and grabbed it from sunny England. 40 bucks for the product, 40 bucks for shipping and 30 bucks for signature post...and it turned up with a sticker on it saying 'no signature required'

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So a clay based wash over the oils i have been using which i hope will be awesome, meaning less work for better results biggrin and much easier clean up. Everything i have read about them over the last couple of years seems stellar so really looking forward to to giving them a go. I have also had some new clears sitting here for a month or so awaiting the arrrival of the Flory product and hoping this VMS product is better than the floor polish i have been using. It also has good reviews.

[Linked Image]

Also excited about finally doing a G6, i've always liked the cowl gun bulges on the G6, gives off a muscle car look. She's a cheap as chips Hobby Boss kit from my last model kit buying spree so i'm not expecting too much detail, mainly grabbed it so i can spend some time with the paint scheme. The included version of the scheme is a bit bland looking and hard edged

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll be looking to get it as close to this as i can, just need to do a bit more research regards the darker RLM colour.

[Linked Image]

Once again this will be a slow build so i'll add here once i get cracking.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4577883 - 08/22/21 02:01 AM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Hartmann is a really good subject.

All the BS about this aces score vs this other guy's is kinda confusing. But, one has to think a really good sniping pilot in a B&Z a/c like Hartmann, would certainly have had a "target rich" environment in the east.

Is there a study of his kills? Just wondering did he seriously pick and choose the "noobs" or did he dive into any threatening Russki formation with serious bad intent?

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4577892 - 08/22/21 03:30 AM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Gregs airplanes on YT did a decent vid on his kill score just recently. At it basic it was sorties v kills and Hartmann was in the middle of most high scoring aces, about one every 4.5 flights whereas there was plenty with a better kill v sortie ratio so it doesn't seem outlandish in any way.

Plenty of factors to go into it of course, never seriously wounded, not taken off the flight line to train other pilots like the American vets where, fighting in the East etc. Decent channel if you haven't already stumbled on it Nixer, mainly aircraft engineering, engines, turbo and supercharging and fuel types. The dude knows his stuff.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4577936 - 08/22/21 10:47 PM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Interesting subject I will be watching your build

#4577968 - 08/23/21 01:11 PM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by Ajay
Gregs airplanes on YT did a decent vid on his kill score just recently. At it basic it was sorties v kills and Hartmann was in the middle of most high scoring aces, about one every 4.5 flights whereas there was plenty with a better kill v sortie ratio so it doesn't seem outlandish in any way.

Plenty of factors to go into it of course, never seriously wounded, not taken off the flight line to train other pilots like the American vets where, fighting in the East etc. Decent channel if you haven't already stumbled on it Nixer, mainly aircraft engineering, engines, turbo and supercharging and fuel types. The dude knows his stuff.

Don't take what he says at face value.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4578035 - 08/24/21 09:18 AM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
His engine speak or his recent kills video? I'm not fussed about his observations in the kills vid if that's what you're referring to, and then you have the other end of the scale like Dimitri Khazanovs paper. It's an interesting subject with a lot of differing views on a matter that may never really be settled imo. Regards his engine and performance vids, i find it super interesting and backed with the naca reports and such and real world flying he has under his belt he seems to know his stuff and get it across nicely smile

Got some glue to plastic. Some close ups of the kit, decent detail, some imperfections in some areas like sinking in the plastic and some trimming needed on pieces like the prop spinner.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cockpit is basic but she'll do.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wing rads. I do have some left over photoetch rads from the Eduard kit, but nobody is ever looking in that tiny opening anyway so they'll more than do the job.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lots of sinky plastic in both wingtips which means putty work and sanding, rescribing and rivet work. If i can be a bit more precise with my putty work i can hopefully make it easy on my myself.0

[Linked Image]

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4578122 - 08/25/21 01:41 PM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
As always Ajay great to read your progress reports

Russ
Semper Fi
#4578200 - 08/26/21 03:12 PM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Ditto, and thanks for the info on that channel. Will check it out.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4578520 - 08/29/21 10:54 AM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Some baby steps on Friday night after work. Chilled outside for a quick hour before it got to cold and one had to hide indoors for the rest of the evening.

[Linked Image]

Got some primer down and rlm66 colour for the cockpit so i can join the fuselage and wings. Where the wing trailing edge meets the fuselage will need work, the lower fuselage/wing join is blech, the wing to fuselage upper gaps don't look so crash hot either.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The cockpit will turn out ok once she is spruced up, wouldn't win any awards though that's for sure. Extreme basics all done and i should be able to have a fuselage plus wings joining session next time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4578552 - 08/29/21 05:01 PM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
A lot of over spray, on the fingers. duck

Looking good.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
#4578590 - 08/29/21 10:57 PM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Yeah i was going pretty quick, temp was dropping and i don't function very well under 15c biggrin

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4578712 - 08/31/21 09:33 AM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Got a quick session in so i could button her up and get cranking on some putty work next time. Seat belts are just painted tape, they work well enough i think.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4578769 - 08/31/21 08:54 PM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
That cockpit triggers lots of IL-2 memories, so you're obviously putting in the relevant details biggrin

Mouse mat to work on?

#4578770 - 08/31/21 09:29 PM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Helps parts not fall into the table gaps and into the great beyond smile

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4578904 - 09/02/21 11:45 AM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ

Underneath she didn't end up too bad

[Linked Image]

on top requires basically all of the work. Red means bad.

[Linked Image]

The prop, average, i'll try and use it because i don't want to fork any money for an aftermarket job (and because i'm cheap)

[Linked Image]

The spinner base is all outta wack and by the looks of it the spinner is just too large for the nose. Annoying.

[Linked Image]

Had to scrape and sand away the engine cover in a few areas to get it to fit, both sides had uneven large gaps off the sprue.

[Linked Image]

Surprisingly the gun bulges fit fairly neatly, the other side is slightly off but with some pressure they will work.

[Linked Image]

Yuk, all of this.

[Linked Image]

Luckily... my weekend has now gone from a fun bbq and drinks lunch and dinner with a few people over to CANCEL IT ALL!!! for a couple of weekends to accommodate for one guy who is currently working weekends. Thanks RYAN. So i can do some work on the above instead, as well as mow the lawn. Yay?

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4580756 - 09/21/21 09:02 PM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Lots of body work huh Ajay.

Darn slave labor!

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4580970 - 09/24/21 11:45 AM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
She's a bit of a junker tbh. All bogged up and sanded, coat of primer done and now she needs rescribing and riveting. It's inspired me to look at 1/32. I'm finding the 1/48 scale just a bit finicky so after this one i'll move up.

Hoping between some yard work, covid shots, shopping, some Icarus beta weekend gameplay and some other exciting chores this weekend i'll be able to get some pics up smile

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4580993 - 09/24/21 03:46 PM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Question: why the don't the pieces fit properly?

How old are the molds? Modern molds designed with CAD/CAM should be a perfect fit.

I just pulled out an unfinished Ki-84 and can understand what you say about 1/48 models. Ajay. they are small.

#4581349 - 09/29/21 12:22 AM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
2015/16 kit going by Scalemates. New moulds apparently. I've read through another build of this kit and the guy found the nose covers to be 'oversized' which is weird as mine were definitely undersized. The instrument panel is also too large and pushes the canopy up, easy fix.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4581709 - 10/03/21 10:30 AM Re: Yay new stuff arrived, and the next kit, Hartmanns 109G6 [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Got a good session in today and last night, three day weekends are the bomb smile Rescribed and riveted, shaded and most of the paint work done. Fuselage splotching needs some fine work, couple of splotches that went awry. The first layer of the exhaust staining is down, going to build it up a bit darker yet.

I worked out by using messenger lite that my pics are not resized, it's when using standard messenger that they are compressed terribly and resized. This has been bothering me for a while so i'm glad i stumbled on the issue. Some of the following are lite and some normal so i just threw them all in frame for now and hopefully won't forget to only use lite mode next time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yes the lawn needs mowing...i just couldn't bring myself to do it today.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.