Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4577168 - 08/13/21 08:42 AM Alsace, difficult love ...  
Taal Offline
Taal  Offline

Poland

Recently, I have changed the front, not only ideologically. I'm flying over Alsace now. This turns out to be more of a challenge than I thought so far. Previously (flat Flanders) the enemy was the sky itself. Now it is also the so far friendly land. There is simply nowhere to land!

Mountains, valleys, high mountains, chasms, slopes, hills. Most of them are heavily forested. From time to time you can see a road below. Unfortunately, as in the mountains, it is narrow, uneven and usually winding. I don't know how to deal with it ... They didn't give parachutes - the officer had to fight to save his machine until the end. There were few of them and many officers. Simple bill.

I've been trying to fly along the road lately. Unfortunately, my weak Morane L was not always able to rise above the hill. It was too steep. I had to avoid them (!) flying into a nearby valley.

However, the views compensate for these inconveniences. Sometimes I just can't get a good look. It happens that I do not sit in the cabin watching the instruments, but using the possibilities of electronics I glide next to my airframe, watching its flight over this charming landscape.

I wonder if at such a moment it is something that could be called experiencing art? Well, yes, but this is a flight simulator. Brush masters don't come here.

best regards

Squadron 34
Belford, Alsace

#4577221 - 08/13/21 06:26 PM Re: Alsace, difficult love ... [Re: Taal]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Hallo @Taal,

welcome to Alsace!
It is my favourite region because of the landscape: Not only bcause of the beautiful view to the mountains and valleys. The special thing is, that not only the air is dangerous but the ground too! And you are between of them! Everywhere forest, only small streets, up and down, left and right, and so absolutely difficult to land.
I can remember that I was injured and did loose fuel with my AlbDII. Jasta 15. I looked for a landing-possibility, but there was only a small street. Then the fuel was empty and -like in real life- only a few hundred meters before landing I saw the topographic of the street exactly. I looked out of the cockpit via left side (STRG+Shft+Backspace) and did try it. I could not land on the street exactly, did need the rudder and on the last meters I have had a collision with a tree in a right curve, but ... I have survived. I was plain stunned, did lean back in my chair and looked at my smoking aeroplane for a few moments. "
WOW"!!! That's WOFF!

Greetings!

#4577260 - 08/14/21 02:05 AM Re: Alsace, difficult love ... [Re: Taal]  
cptroyce Offline
cptroyce  Offline

Always loved the Alsace..flew it in RB3/OFF/WOFF. Scenery and challenges of terrain terrific!

#4577270 - 08/14/21 06:07 AM Re: Alsace, difficult love ... [Re: Taal]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Ah the Alsace, will have to refresh my Chaps Saulnier Bouffant adventures with Esc. 49 (http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/escadrille049.htm), at Belfort, one of these days - nothing like flying Nieups. or SPADs above the lovely mountains and lakes. The sector is also a bit quieter than others, usually, so it allows for more sight-seeing.

Cheers all,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 08/14/21 06:09 AM. Reason: Edited post.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4577283 - 08/14/21 12:07 PM Re: Alsace, difficult love ... [Re: Taal]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Ah yes, the Alsace. A true love/hate relationship. smile2

As for Belfort, yet another of my aerodrome projects in need of polishing up and porting over into BHaH2. There are just too many things to do! dizzy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4577301 - 08/14/21 04:39 PM Re: Alsace, difficult love ... [Re: Taal]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

TOP @Lou!
... and much details around the airfield thumbsup

Greetings!

#4577302 - 08/14/21 04:42 PM Re: Alsace, difficult love ... [Re: Taal]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
You have to be careful using Auto Pilot in the Alsace, especially flying the N10 and N11 for the Lafayette Escadrille it will crash you into mountains if you don't pay attention.

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM