Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4577100 - 08/12/21 12:19 PM "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all!  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Hiya Gents and the WOFF community.

Just thought I'd post a little note to all as an appreciation to supporting my lengthy and rather enjoyable career of skinning and modding WWI games.

The other day, Mark (Polovski) asked me to skin an upcoming addition to the WOFF BH&HII hangar which has been long awaited. In the most gut-wrenching way, I had to say no. For the first time in I can't remember how long, I'd like to say 1998 or 99, I will not be associated with some kind of project involving WWI simming or modding. Due to severe arthritis in my right hand and wrist, I just have to preserve what's left of the joints and call it a day. I'm a young 51 1/2, and still very active with the Fire Department, as well as other Aeronautical stuff and Vintage Car Clubs, so I want to be able to continue working on things and using my right hand.

The over-all look of my hand is now noticeable and irreversible. It's solely due to using a mouse for gaming since I was in my 20's, accelerating it by the way I create skins. Had I adopted the pen/pad style of creating skins, maybe I would not have had this issue. But I am stubborn and mastered my style one way only. But I can't look at it that way, I look at it that I was able to do something to preserve the history of these pilots and what they represented to their nations, as well as the planes that they flew.

From the time I stared working on Red Baron 3D, into The Sikorsky Project, forward to OFF and on, I strived to give our fans the best detail and over-all look I could muster with what was available to me. I'm no different than any of you, I learned to do this work because I wanted to recreate history and see it alive before my eyes...like any other artist does. They don't really think "boy, this one is going to make me a fortune". I just went from skin to skin and loved what I did. I wanted to be there, look over my shoulders and see other pilots...not boring generic default skins..no matter what side I flew for.

But time gets the best of us all... and it did. I'm saddened that this is the end of the road for my skinning days... but not at the fact that I've been able to touch so many of you by helping you achieve that dream of being in the cockpit and immersed in our beautiful game.

So just a quick note to tell you I'll be here, but officially retired from skinning. I've moved on to other projects that I love doing and enjoy immensely. I can still do graphical work, but it's at a lower level and a lot of time between projects to let my hand heal and recover.

Thank you all, the community, the friends I've made and grown to really appreciate...you!.. the fans of our game and most importantly Mark and Mark (or Marky Mark as I like to call them) for giving me this crazy awesome opportunity to join OBD and have so much fun over the past 10 years proving to the world that we (a couple of aging die-hards spread all over the world) could really do this thing we love so much. Especially... Thank you Ted (Shredder) for always being my right hand man during our RB3D days, for all your knowledge and drive to get every minute detail out of my work as you could and and for being a good friend over the years watching our little girls grow so #%&*$# fast! It has been one hell of an awesome ride!

Keep 'em flying boys!! Zoofa!

James 'OvS' Romano
The Black Baron of Boistrancourt

Attached Files ovs1.jpg
Last edited by OvStachel; 08/12/21 12:29 PM.

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4577103 - 08/12/21 01:02 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
James;

Sorry to hear of you succumbing to arthritis. To some degree I know your pain as I have also had to deal with finger/hand problems. For me it is trigger finger in both hands, a eupturing of the tendons due to aggressive repetitive movement..

I have always appreciated your contributions through your skinning of WOFF.
I look forward to your continued contributions to the forum and that you still can enjoy the sim.

Wish you well, and thanks for all you have given us over the years.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4577105 - 08/12/21 02:48 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Thank you James for your tireless work over the years. The skins in this series are absolutely superb they bring the skies alive, I cannot even begin to imagine how many or how much time you’ve spent creating them. From me personally..thank you thank you thank you, stay well Black Baron thumbsup

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4577109 - 08/12/21 04:36 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
James, i'm sorry to hear about your problems and real life has to take precedence no matter how hard we flight sim nuts try.

You're work on WOFF is there for all to see....no matter which version you own.... outstanding skins.

I remember your work on Red Baron and still use it to this day. You're tireless efforts helped give that sim not only a new lease of life, but kept it alive for many years, long after it's 'sell by' date.

I'm very glad you'll be staying around the community.

Thank you very much for all your efforts these.....wow.....20+ years.

Outstanding.

Albert

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4577110 - 08/12/21 04:58 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
salute Black Baron.

Your work over the years has been outstanding. I'm sorry that something you love is giving you such trouble but I am glad you are sticking around in the community.

#4577114 - 08/12/21 06:34 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Thank you James, for your super efforts on Red Baron modding and the great skins you have made for OFF/WOFF.
The flying for real looks more interesting though! Ask them if you can paint their aircraft in MvR colours wink.

My right index finger always hurts now. I'm sure it will fall off whilst clicking the mouse button one of these days soon. In the past I actually switched to left hand mouse work for a couple of weeks to try to give it a break (which seemed to work).

It looks like you have plenty to get on with anyway James so good luck with those!

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4577116 - 08/12/21 06:44 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
Hi James,
Warren Miller once said, in one of his much loved films, in a comment about life;
“One day, your kid will ski as well as you;
The next day, she will ski better.”
Says me; " I always knew that day would come,
I just didn’t know it would come at age 9."
Now she is 12, and I can’t begin to keep up.
But I still love skiing with her.
I don’t think of it as me getting old. Nor you. It’s just a stage.
Now that it is beginning to look like travel may be possible again one day, we are going to have to have that long anticipated rendezvous.
All the best,
Ted

Attached Files IMG_5260_rs.jpgIMG_4677.JPGIMG_5209.JPG

We will remember them.
#4577126 - 08/12/21 08:58 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

James, many thanks for the work you have done. It is fantastic and will be around for us to enjoy for years to come. You got to know when to fold’em. Good on you for realizing it’s time to stop. All the best with your other endeavours.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4577128 - 08/12/21 09:03 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
Sandbagger Offline
Hotshot
Sandbagger  Offline
Hotshot

Coningsby, Lincs, UK
Hi James,
Sad to hear this but great days skinning for OFF and WOFF.
When I started back in 2007, there was just the small team of Terry, Arto, me and of course you, with base skins by Pol or Winder.
Then of course there was Ted, with his unbounded enthusiasm and knowledge, keeping us all busy creating the thousands of skins.
A lot of hard work and deadlines to meet, but we got it done.
Now there are others creating skins from where we left off and that's good to see.

Mike

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro
#4577140 - 08/12/21 11:01 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Thank you, James, for the thousands of skins you have provided over the years, from Red Baron to BHaH2. Sorry to hear about the arthritis, but I hope it is not bad enough to prevent you from flying. Getting old, blows, doesn't it? Take care and enjoy your retirement.

Ironic that the "Black Baron of Boistrancourt" produced so many colorful skins! Thanks again!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4577142 - 08/12/21 11:04 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia
I'm not a big fan of the ageing process myself but you're still a young chap. (I wish I was 50 again).Good luck with everything OvS. Keep your chin up old boy.

#4577154 - 08/13/21 12:33 AM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Best of luck and I will be checking my six for that older (but wiser) Black Baron!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4577161 - 08/13/21 01:57 AM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
OvS, take care of yourself and thank you for all you’ve done for this sim and the community. And remember, you still have both good feet if you ever decide to come out of the retirement.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4577163 - 08/13/21 02:15 AM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Thanks OVS for all your hard work over the years, and what an amazing contribution to all our enjoyment of our little hobby. Much appreciated!

#4577188 - 08/13/21 11:58 AM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
Dezh Offline
Vice President Barmy OFFers Club
Dezh  Offline
Vice President Barmy OFFers Club

Hampshire, United Kingdom
Echoing everyone else in saying thank you for the unsurpassed legacy of thousands of skins, without which this sim would be a pale shadow of itself.

Stepping out to keep your hand in, as it were, is a wise decision.

Dej

Oh that I was back in the dear old PBI.
With no more Triplanes on me tail, nor tracer tracing by.
And no more flames and clickerty-clack and no more blooming sky,
And only a couple of feet to fall whenever I want to die.

No. 56 Squadron Song
#4577189 - 08/13/21 12:17 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: Dezh]  
jerbear Online content
jerbear  Online Content

Sorry to hear you have had to give up so much. Fifty one is awfully young to have something like that happen.

It would have been great to see what you could have done with the new aircraft.

Thanks for all you have done for the Sim, probably most of us don't know the half of it.

Jerry

#4577206 - 08/13/21 04:24 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
Becker01 Online content
Becker01  Online Content

Hallo @OvS,

I have read it only now.
I only can say THANKS to all, what you have done from RedBaron to WOFF!
Stay healthy and enjoy all things of flying as well as possible.

Greetings!

#4577212 - 08/13/21 05:27 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
OvS,

I am very sorry to hear that your hands are bothering you so much. Please know that your massive contributions to the RB3D/Woff community are deeply appreciated. Your talented work on skins adds immeasurably to the immersive pleasure of flying this sim.

Best wishes!

#4577220 - 08/13/21 06:26 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Many thanks OvS, hopefully you will keep dropping by to say hi to everyone!

#4577225 - 08/13/21 07:12 PM Re: "Official" Retirement and doing what we love...Thank you all! [Re: OvStachel]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Thank you for everything you've done and contributed over the years --- and letting us enjoy the fruits of your talent!
I wish you all the best in all your future endeavors, God Bless.

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse