Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4576805 - 08/08/21 11:37 PM Newbie  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
OK where do I start? I'm talking about paid for games.

I love my WW1 sims and also the odd WW2 sim. Many years ago I flew more modern plane sims back when with had cardboard key layouts to go on our keyboard (since they stopped is when I've had trouble learning new jet sims and all the keys)! More recent sims I've folded due to the complexity, however I'm sure there is a great plane for a jet sim learner.

ALso what's Combined Arms (think that's what it's called) like as a wargame?

Are there any add ons that add infantry as targets?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4576840 - 08/09/21 01:04 PM Re: Newbie [Re: Wodin]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
There''s no WW1 in DCS. If that's what you want, go checkout Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven and Hell II.

Combined Arms gives you some ability to play as and control grounds forces. It also lets you act as a JTAC and call in and direct airstrikes.

As far as modules, they're complicated, so I wouldn't recommend getting too many to start with. For WW2 there's a free trainer version of the P51, I'd start with that. If you like it, get the actual combat version. The BF109 and Spit can be tricky on take off and landings.
For modernish planes the F18 is a good jack of all trades that will let you dabble in everything the sim has. After that they get kinda specialized: A10 for ground attack, Viggen for deep strike/antishipping, F16 for air to air.
F5 is easy to pick up, but has a crude radar and can only carry a pair of sidewinders so it can be tough against some other more modern aircraft.

No cardboard cutouts, but Chuck's Guide's can help with binding all your controls and I'll often have it pulled up on a tablet or second screen while flying: https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs/

#4576842 - 08/09/21 01:29 PM Re: Newbie [Re: Wodin]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Concerning DCS, I would skip on the WWII modules since there are currently no fleshed out campaigns, pilot careers, etc. In my opinion, the much better option is IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles. That sim will give you the total WWII experience.

As for the modern jet modules, are you more of a ground pounder or air to air pilot?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4576851 - 08/09/21 04:12 PM Re: Newbie [Re: Wodin]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
For modern jet aircraft in DCS, I'd recommend the F-5 as a starter aircraft.
It's moderately capable in AA (dogfighting with guns and heat-seeking missiles) and AG (dumb bombs and rockets). It has very simple systems, but they form the basis for a lot of more complex aircraft (basic radar, basic RWR, etc.).

Infantry are in the base game, it's up to the mission designer to add them in. They are generally quite hard to kill (small, and maybe tougher than they should be), but are good targets for gun/rocket attacks.

There are also the L-39 and C-101s as actual trainer aircraft, but I'd probably stay away from them. The real advantage of trainer aircraft in real life (harder to kill yourself in) is not that important in DCS, so jumping straight into a "real" plane is fine.

#4583253 - 10/22/21 08:26 AM Re: Newbie [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Gigolety Offline
Gigolety  Offline

Lugano
Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
It's moderately capable in AA (dogfighting with guns and heat-seeking missiles) and AG (dumb bombs and rockets). It has very simple systems, but they form the basis for a lot of more complex aircraft (basic radar, basic RWR, etc.).

Infantry are in the base game, it's up to the mission designer to add them in. They are generally quite hard to kill (small, and maybe tougher than they should be), but are good targets for gun/rocket attacks.

There are also the L-39 and C-101s as actual trainer aircraft, but I'd probably stay away from them. The real advantage of trainer aircraft in real life (harder to kill yourself in) is not that important in DCS, so jumping straight into a "real" plane is fine.

Thank you for your suggestion FlyingToaster.

I would like to know if the F-5 can be used to practice air-to-air refuelin, too. This is quite common in other simulator and when using more complex aircrafts

I speak many languages one of them is cesky
#4583269 - 10/22/21 10:25 AM Re: Newbie [Re: Gigolety]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
Originally Posted by Gigolety
Originally Posted by FlyingToaster

Thank you for your suggestion FlyingToaster.

I would like to know if the F-5 can be used to practice air-to-air refuelin, too. This is quite common in other simulator and when using more complex aircrafts

Nope, no AAR in the F-5
I think the AAR capable aircraft are:
Probe/Drogue: Mirage, F/a-18, F-14, Harrier
flying boom: F-16, A-10

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.