#4576061 - 07/31/21 08:42 AM Re: Olympics [Re: vonBaur]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by vonBaur
Who called her a "wimp/wuss/ snowflake"? Not I. NFB questioned the legitimacy of her claim based on her past experience, which showed that she'd handled it before, but he didn't denigrate her in any way. She's great. Possibly the greatest of her generation. But to be the greatest of all time you need to be able to handle the pressure. Every time. That was what I said then, that's what I say now, and that's what I'll say tomorrow. And in my opinion, to say otherwise denigrates the efforts of those who do handle the pressure every time.

I looked a bit on the internet for a picture, but was unable to find it. It was from the Olympics in the '70's or 80's, so some of the "more seasoned" members may remember it. It was of a female gymnast, Eastern Bloc IIRC, on the balance beam. She was lying on her chest with her legs bent over her head and her feet touching or almost touching the beam. The photographer had a perfect angle, right down the beam, looking right into her face. The look of concentration and focus wasn't one of someone who felt no pressure, but of someone who knew how to ignore the pressure when she had to.

Originally Posted by CyBerkut
What is often overlooked is that in quitting the team competition, she saved the opportunity for the team to win the silver medal. Had she continued vaulting the way her first vault went, the team would not have had a chance to take silver.

I'm not familiar with scoring team sports in the Olympics. Is it not the cumulative scores of ALL of the competitors on that team? If it isn't, it should be. The only way I can think of for her dropping out to benefit the team is if it's an average, which is BS because then you enter only your top two. A member of a team who does not compete should score a 0 for each missed round and/or event. I wrestled in high school. If we didn't have someone at a certain weight class, for whatever reason, it was a forfeit and it hurt the team.

ps
If you felt my referring to her as "Simon Biles" was some kind of insult, I assure you it was not. It was a typo that got past some obviously shoddy proofreading on my part, and by the time I noticed it it was too late to correct.

I didn't say anybody in here called her a "wimp/wuss/snowflake". My reference to "commentators" was to political opinion writers/podcasters/etc. such as Matt Walsh and Charlie Kirk who have been saying/writing some very negative things about her over this.

I get that they see a change occurring in the culture that puts less emphasis on toughing things out, and see that as a bad trend... and that is probably at least part of what is driving their criticism... but I think it is misguided in this case. What these young women do is physically dangerous. Note the reference to the "twisties" in the following article.

Right-Wing Twitter Loses Its Mind Over Simone Biles Withdrawing From Competition. Is it Fair?

I didn't mention the sexual abuse earlier that many of these young women suffered at the hands of the former team doctor. Simone Biles was one of them. Maybe that was a factor, maybe not.

A couple more worthy opinion pieces on her decision to drop out:

Simone Biles Did Nothing Wrong

Why Charlie Kirk, Seth Dillon, & Matt Walsh Should Stop. Immediately.

To the degree that accomplished athletes can be viewed as heroes, Simone Biles was an established sports heroine coming into this Olympics. Her decision to drop out didn't make her a villain, nor was it heroic. I do think it is fair to say it was selfless, as it appears that she set her ambition aside to preserve her team's chances to earn a spot on the podium.

In industry, we put a lot of emphasis on safety. One of the most important aspects of that to grasp and internalize is that the person most responsible for your safety is you. Nobody else has as much motivation and opportunity to protect me in the workplace as I do. If conditions are not safe, or if I become unfit for duty, I am expected to stop the job until the problem is resolved. I see no reason to afford Simone Biles any less consideration in her "workplace".

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4576065 - 07/31/21 09:25 AM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Well said Cy !!

Russ
Semper Fi
#4576122 - 07/31/21 06:16 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Speaking of the twisties, just saw this: ‘For Anyone Saying I Quit’: Simone Biles Posts Videos Of Crashing To Mat

So, she is specifically stating, and demonstrating, that she is suffering from the twisties, and how unsafe that can be.

There are still some events left that she could compete in, but it strikes me as unlikely that she is going to be able to compete.

#4576160 - 07/31/21 11:15 PM Re: Olympics [Re: CyBerkut]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted by vonBaur
Who called her a "wimp/wuss/ snowflake"? Not I. NFB questioned the legitimacy of her claim based on her past experience, which showed that she'd handled it before, but he didn't denigrate her in any way. She's great. Possibly the greatest of her generation. But to be the greatest of all time you need to be able to handle the pressure. Every time. That was what I said then, that's what I say now, and that's what I'll say tomorrow. And in my opinion, to say otherwise denigrates the efforts of those who do handle the pressure every time.

I looked a bit on the internet for a picture, but was unable to find it. It was from the Olympics in the '70's or 80's, so some of the "more seasoned" members may remember it. It was of a female gymnast, Eastern Bloc IIRC, on the balance beam. She was lying on her chest with her legs bent over her head and her feet touching or almost touching the beam. The photographer had a perfect angle, right down the beam, looking right into her face. The look of concentration and focus wasn't one of someone who felt no pressure, but of someone who knew how to ignore the pressure when she had to.

What is often overlooked is that in quitting the team competition, she saved the opportunity for the team to win the silver medal. Had she continued vaulting the way her first vault went, the team would not have had a chance to take silver.

I'm not familiar with scoring team sports in the Olympics. Is it not the cumulative scores of ALL of the competitors on that team? If it isn't, it should be. The only way I can think of for her dropping out to benefit the team is if it's an average, which is BS because then you enter only your top two. A member of a team who does not compete should score a 0 for each missed round and/or event. I wrestled in high school. If we didn't have someone at a certain weight class, for whatever reason, it was a forfeit and it hurt the team.

ps
If you felt my referring to her as "Simon Biles" was some kind of insult, I assure you it was not. It was a typo that got past some obviously shoddy proofreading on my part, and by the time I noticed it it was too late to correct.

I didn't say anybody in here called her a "wimp/wuss/snowflake". My reference to "commentators" was to political opinion writers/podcasters/etc. such as Matt Walsh and Charlie Kirk who have been saying/writing some very negative things about her over this.

I get that they see a change occurring in the culture that puts less emphasis on toughing things out, and see that as a bad trend... and that is probably at least part of what is driving their criticism... but I think it is misguided in this case. What these young women do is physically dangerous. Note the reference to the "twisties" in the following article.

Right-Wing Twitter Loses Its Mind Over Simone Biles Withdrawing From Competition. Is it Fair?

I didn't mention the sexual abuse earlier that many of these young women suffered at the hands of the former team doctor. Simone Biles was one of them. Maybe that was a factor, maybe not.

A couple more worthy opinion pieces on her decision to drop out:

Simone Biles Did Nothing Wrong

Why Charlie Kirk, Seth Dillon, & Matt Walsh Should Stop. Immediately.

To the degree that accomplished athletes can be viewed as heroes, Simone Biles was an established sports heroine coming into this Olympics. Her decision to drop out didn't make her a villain, nor was it heroic. I do think it is fair to say it was selfless, as it appears that she set her ambition aside to preserve her team's chances to earn a spot on the podium.

In industry, we put a lot of emphasis on safety. One of the most important aspects of that to grasp and internalize is that the person most responsible for your safety is you. Nobody else has as much motivation and opportunity to protect me in the workplace as I do. If conditions are not safe, or if I become unfit for duty, I am expected to stop the job until the problem is resolved. I see no reason to afford Simone Biles any less consideration in her "workplace".

hear hear! you rawk, Cy! smile

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
#4576166 - 08/01/21 12:49 AM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Even a right wingish guy like me was freakin appalled by the crap spouted off about this amazing young lady.

Loss of self confidence involving physical danger is not something a keyboard hero should even try to relate to, never mind even understand.. Just told one site I subscribe to that if I don't see some kind of serious repercussions for this clown they "employ", then they can kiss my little pittance goodbye.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4576173 - 08/01/21 01:22 AM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
CyB and Nixer. thumbsup

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4576176 - 08/01/21 01:42 AM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

China and USA have the most medals. Are they all chocolate?

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/medal-standings.htm

#4576236 - 08/01/21 05:20 PM Re: Olympics [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
China and USA have the most medals. Are they all chocolate?

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/medal-standings.htm

They only do that for the Winter Olympics. The Summer Olympics had trouble with them melting in the heat.

#4576240 - 08/01/21 05:41 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
And that`s the reason why so many norwegian athlets are struggling with their weight .....

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4576261 - 08/02/21 01:24 AM Re: Olympics [Re: KraziKanuK]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Her WIKI. She competed before many times. Look at all the Gold medals. Her can't take the pressure excuse is questionable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simone_Biles

You don't have a f..ing clue what kind of pressure her or anyone else is under to perform.

Profanity is unneeded to discuss the topic. Thank you.

You seem very butt hurt by it. Are you her BFF? Sister? Dad? Secret Stalker? BEA?

#4576267 - 08/02/21 02:46 AM Re: Olympics [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Her WIKI. She competed before many times. Look at all the Gold medals. Her can't take the pressure excuse is questionable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simone_Biles

You don't have a f..ing clue what kind of pressure her or anyone else is under to perform.

Profanity is unneeded to discuss the topic. Thank you.

Not your call to make.

You seem very butt hurt by it. Are you her BFF? Sister? Dad? Secret Stalker? BEA?

A number of your posts are troll-ish. Knock it off.

#4576272 - 08/02/21 07:55 AM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
Honestly, it was probably braver of her to not compete than to compete.

#4576273 - 08/02/21 07:58 AM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Leaving your team and country hanging isn't brave, it is cowardice.

If you're gonna drop out, do it before you're chosen for the games, and let someone more qualified to take the slot.

#4576297 - 08/02/21 01:34 PM Re: Olympics [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

If you're gonna drop out, do it before you're chosen for the games, and let someone more qualified to take the slot.

One never knows when the "twisties" are going to hit.

Anyways, the young lady that replaced Biles, Sunisa Lee did VERY WELL. She is the daughter of immigrants from China.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
#4576299 - 08/02/21 01:39 PM Re: Olympics [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida

Say hello to MyKayla Skinner, who got to take Biles' place, and win a Silver Medal:
Skinner hits both vaults to win silver in Biles' place

Biles dropping out when she did wasn't brave (except for knowing that she would face major criticism), but it wasn't cowardice either. It was a safety issue. The Olympics are not a war. The only life on the line was her own. Make no mistake, developing a loss of proper spatial orientation at those speeds/maneuvers could put someone permanently in a wheelchair or a casket.

The people in the best position to judge her decision are her teammates. As far as I know, there hasn't been any criticism of her decision from them. Realistically, they can thank her decision for preserving their chance at winning a Silver medal in the team all-around competition.

As for being qualified... per USA Today Sports: "In qualifications, Simone Biles became the first woman since 1992 to qualify for all six possible Olympic event finals." That sounds like she was pretty "qualified" to compete in the all-around competition, and that she wasn't having a severe problem with spatial orientation at the beginning of the Olympics.

Biles will reportedly be competing on the balance beam on Aug. 3rd, so evidently she believes she has gotten past the twisties, or will do a simpler dismount.
Simone Biles to return to Olympic competition for beam final

Last edited by CyBerkut; 08/02/21 09:07 PM. Reason: typo correction
#4576312 - 08/02/21 04:18 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Well that explains more than I'm knowledgeable of, Cyberkut, thanks.

I put the Olympics on my ignore list before they started when the PWEC type stuff started happening. If she had a legitimate health concern, then that is reason to step aside. I don't think she should be lauded as a hero, though.

#4576313 - 08/02/21 04:32 PM Re: Olympics [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
I don't think she should be lauded as a hero, though.

Simone Arianne Biles (born March 14, 1997)[4] is an American artistic gymnast. With a combined total of 31 Olympic and World Championship medals, Biles is the most decorated American gymnast and is considered one of the greatest and most dominant gymnasts of all time.[color:#3333FF][/color]

May be not for you,

but she is a legend. smile
I would have been very proud if she had represented my nation.

Last edited by Wigean; 08/02/21 04:33 PM.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4576315 - 08/02/21 04:43 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Not a hero for dropping out, Wigean, this is what I meant.

For her past merits, recognition is due in proportion to the magnitude of the accomplishments.

#4576336 - 08/02/21 09:25 PM Re: Olympics [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Well that explains more than I'm knowledgeable of, Cyberkut, thanks.

I put the Olympics on my ignore list before they started when the PWEC type stuff started happening. If she had a legitimate health concern, then that is reason to step aside. I don't think she should be lauded as a hero, though.

I too, was ignoring the Olympics for the same reason. I ended up taking notice of the Simone Biles situation due to a number of conservative writers (that I normally agree with most of the time) having some really negative criticisms. The criticism struck me as misguided, so I looked into it. I'm still not watching the Olympics though.

#4576379 - 08/03/21 11:56 AM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Biles won a Bronze on the beam.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.