Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4530034 - 07/15/20 10:29 AM Re: No threads on the Bonhomme Richard fire? [Re: JimK]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted by JimK
Originally Posted by Lieste
It was in dock under maintenance. It had zero aircraft, zero helicopters.

I don't know modern naval practice, but earlier (age of sail) practice was to essentially strip all ordnance and stores from a vessel undergoing repair. This was universal for large repair, but common for merely returning to dock in some dockyards (though that from a limitation of channel depth and access as much as anything).

Thanks, but refurb work is even more dangerous on ship like this. To much flammable materials.

And most, if not all, normal procedures and features are unable to be used. Watertight doors are secured open and unable to be shut, fire suppression systems are disarmed, and usually not enough crew is aboard to form proper DC parties. Just look at the USS Miami fire from not too many years back. A painter in the yard wanted the afternoon off so he started a small fire with flammable rags to get the boat evacuated, and it ended up costing the navy a fast-attack sub.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4530041 - 07/15/20 11:15 AM Re: No threads on the Bonhomme Richard fire? [Re: Timothy]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Timothy
Originally Posted by F4UDash4

Comment from above:

"We can bet on one thing. Every single lessons learned that comes out of the LHD-6 fire investigation report will have been included previously on one or more prior reports concerning similar fires which occurred aboard other vessels being modified or repaired in port. Count on it."

Yep. This happened because prior lessons learned were ignored.

The US Navy has shifted focus from ship handling and ship safety / damage control to "other things" that have nothing to do with ships or war fighting.

Ooooooo ooooooo, I would love to guess, but it'd end up PWEC.

It almost makes you wish for a major war to break out so that the Navy can be forced back on the straight and narrow. Almost.

Either way, the USN of today is certainly not the USN of WW 2 and I'm not talking about the hardware either.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 07/15/20 11:16 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4530435 - 07/17/20 11:35 PM Re: No threads on the Bonhomme Richard fire? [Re: Discord]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
So...

I guess it's toast, literally. Luckily, nobody died, although I expect repercussions.

So what happened?

Why in the world does a ship being refit have a MILLION gals of fuel on board?

Wild guess, the contractor has nowhere near enough insurance to cover the loss, and some "upwardly mobile after retirement" person in the Navy, or even better, congressional influence, allows that to happen.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4530628 - 07/20/20 12:03 AM Re: No threads on the Bonhomme Richard fire? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Imagine if we had these during World War II in the Pacific and at Normandy.

Even better, imagine if we had a Nimitz class carrier during WW2!! We would have won the war in the Pacific in like 1 month!!!

I really wish that movie The Final Countdown would have gone there - even if it'd had been ultimately "erased for proper timeline continuity" in the movie plot.

They came so close to it, I remember thinking "Oh THIS ought to be sick", then things got so anti-climactic...

#4530775 - 07/21/20 03:09 AM Re: No threads on the Bonhomme Richard fire? [Re: Nixer]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by Nixer
So...

I guess it's toast, literally. Luckily, nobody died, although I expect repercussions.

So what happened?

Why in the world does a ship being refit have a MILLION gals of fuel on board?

Wild guess, the contractor has nowhere near enough insurance to cover the loss, and some "upwardly mobile after retirement" person in the Navy, or even better, congressional influence, allows that to happen.

Ballast?

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4575928 - 07/30/21 01:51 AM Re: No threads on the Bonhomme Richard fire? [Re: Discord]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

#4575947 - 07/30/21 10:35 AM Re: No threads on the Bonhomme Richard fire? [Re: Discord]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
What's your deal recently with reviving long dead threads?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4576062 - 07/31/21 09:00 AM Re: No threads on the Bonhomme Richard fire? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
What's your deal recently with reviving long dead threads?

I'd say it was appropriate in this case. That article is new, and on topic for this thread.

#4576119 - 07/31/21 06:07 PM Re: No threads on the Bonhomme Richard fire? [Re: Discord]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
What an inglorious end for s ship with such a glori0us name.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4576126 - 07/31/21 06:25 PM Re: No threads on the Bonhomme Richard fire? [Re: Discord]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

#4576633 - 08/05/21 09:01 PM Re: No threads on the Bonhomme Richard fire? [Re: Discord]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

#4576649 - 08/06/21 04:06 AM Re: No threads on the Bonhomme Richard fire? [Re: Discord]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I was gonna say "thank you Mr. Navy expert", but then I realized your experience in naval matters is probably limited to a family member and a rubber ducky in the tub.

You have ZERO right to judge anyone in the US military. I have no idea where the hell you came from but PLEASE go back...NOW!

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.