MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
As if music isn't subjective enough, now it's what you jog/run to... smile

Back to the Future - Run For Fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouCVJIpSmEE

Here's my "My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs" (and not all of my Rocky tunes made it)...

[Linked Image]

++++++++++

My top two favorites (previously posted on "The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread", the first being the original Rocky theme)...

Rocky 3 - Training Montage (1080p)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYvJrlgVaRE

Went private, replaced with...

Rocky 3 - Training Scene (High Quality)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVY8SbQGW-Y

Rocky III • Eye of the Tiger • Survivor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERT_7u5L0dc

++++++++++

A few side notes...

- I don't care so much for the heavy synth/electronic 80's sound that many 70's Rock bands transitioned to, but I do appreciate the steadier beat for exercising to (especially Rush).

- It occurred to me that I mostly like to exercise to Rock/New Wave, and for someone with plenty of black artists in their library (mostly 70's/80's 'Motown' and RnB), very few made the cut (Living Colour, Prince and Seal being exceptions).

- This is not a strength training playlist, else it would have included AC/DC's "Hells Bells" and Rush's "The Camera Eye" (for stretching). You can workout and walk to almost anything, but you have to be more discriminating with songs you run to. That is, if you even like listening to music when you run; I know some of you don't as it affects your stride. I need music as fuel.

- I'm not running much at all right now, this thread is more in preparation for fall.

- Subject to change, hasn't been thoroughly tested on pavement yet (picked 100 out of almost 300 songs).

- "Various" means that I either never entered the artist (most of my MP3s were burned from CDs with offline manual editing...my preference) or that I spliced multiple MP3s together (also sometimes clipping the intro or ending for an exercise version).

++++++++++

So... I'll be happy to harvest songs from your own favorites... tuner

Attached Files Running_playlist.JPG
Last edited by MarkG; 03/17/22 01:38 AM. Reason: Updated playlist

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4575927 - 07/30/21 01:03 AM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Dump “Run To The Hills” and add this one instead.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4575949 - 07/30/21 10:39 AM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
"Run Like the Wind" by Christopher Cross would be another great one. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4575962 - 07/30/21 01:15 PM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
NH2112, can't do it... nope "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" is an interesting song though and certainly fits the theme, apparently based on a story from a book. It'll at least make my runner-ups and might make my Top 100 after a few listens [EDIT: Added].

But come on... "Run to the Hills" is Iron Maiden's "Tom Sawyer", probably long worn out by Maiden fans but still a great tune for the rest of us. smile

++++++++++

PM, "Ride Like the Wind" was a difficult cut, as was Bob Seger's "Against the Wind" and Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty". Sometimes the theme works and I like the song, but it doesn't make my lazy legs want to move (the *really* subjective part). Slight adjustments will be made as these songs are tested over time. For example, Shooting Star's "Last Chance" is one of my most motivational songs, but it might get cut or moved to my workout-only playlist which I'll post at some point.

++++++++++

I remember being introduced to mid-to-late-'80's Rush (which I had mostly shunned) by exercising to their concert CD "A Show of Hands" that a friend had loaned me. And now I'm missing "Mission" and "Manhattan Project" (and that live version of "Witch Hunt" which is wicked good), so adjustments will be made.

EDIT: When running to Rush, I usually go with a live version for the concert energy and to reminisce. Sometimes when I'm really tired and ready to stop, I push myself to the end of a song or concert setlist, imagining a tired Neil Peart on stage doing the same.

Last edited by MarkG; 08/03/21 04:26 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4575968 - 07/30/21 01:49 PM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
And one small treadmill pic, currently a necessary evil with the heat and rain...

[Linked Image]

The sun is in the east
#4576096 - 07/31/21 03:20 PM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm going to get back into running shape with just testing this playlist on my treadmill! runningdog

Going to have to replace a couple: Shooting Star's "Last Chance" (expected) and Queen's "One Vision", as they just don't have enough of a running groove throughout. Might also lose ZZ Top's "Just Got Paid" (a few on Eliminator that are better for this purpose).

Wanted to note that my playlist (using iTunes, although I have no Apple account or products since my last Shuffle died) is around 8 hours of music. When a final is decided, this will give me 4 separate playlists (~2 hrs ea.) to choose from. That's 4 starter songs, and one of them is absolutely perfect IMO: U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name". Oh man, the way the song starts as you're walking in preparation of running, then the song builds as you quicken your pace to a jog. Absolute perfection. tuner

++++++++++

A couple of my favorite obscure songs, the first being an instrumental and the second with lyrics that inspire performance...

The Alan Parsons Project - Mammagamma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S-q_3NFFzs

Rush-Cut To The Chase (Lyrics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3H7kFDpQDM

The sun is in the east
#4576102 - 07/31/21 03:45 PM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Ah hell, may be overplayed, but too good not to post as the ultimate starter (official video is great too, but not applicable...too much background stuff)...

U2: Where The Streets Have No Name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FsrPEUt2Dg

The sun is in the east
#4576147 - 07/31/21 09:15 PM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
My legs are feeling like Jello...lol.

Guns N' Roses' "Sweet Child O' Mine" and Edie Brickell & New Bohemians' "What I Am", inducing two of the happiest memories of my life (being engaged and driving a Porsche 911 from the Atlanta airport with my new bride respectively), are getting cut. Happy thoughts/songs aren't giving me the energy boost I need. My playlist was premature and needs some work.

The sun is in the east
#4576171 - 08/01/21 01:21 AM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
You guys are going to turn me into a Maiden fan yet! biggrin Ok, I'm adding "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" to my Top 100 (decided after my 3rd listen) which I'll update tomorrow.

++++++++++

Also making room for more Rush, all live except for "Cut to the Chase" posted above (there is no live version). The songs are a mix from several concert CDs and transition surprisingly well, almost seamlessly. Live (not studio) Rush is still my greatest motivator when running, and this one is top dog...

Rush - Red Sector A (Live "Grace Under Pressure" Tour)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ytkyn3vUU

Also, RIP to Geddy's mom who died earlier this month...

==========
Mary Weinrib

Geddy Lee’s mother, Mary Weinrib has passed away at the age of 95. Mary was an Auschwitz survivor. After being liberated in 1945, Mary and Morris Weinrib married and moved to Canada, where they raised their family. Morris passed away suddenly in 1965, but Mary lived to see their three children grow and have success.
==========

The sun is in the east
#4576220 - 08/01/21 03:53 PM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
*** Updated playlist ***

++++++++++

Examples of two different non-80's (non-electronic) styles from the same source that make me want to move (1st one is studio version w/live footage)...

Heart - "Barracuda" (1977)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeMvMNpvB5M

HEART - Straight On (1978)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE2-gpM2tNc

EDIT: "Magic Man" and "Crazy On You" (both from Dreamboat Annie) just didn't work for me in this application. frown

Last edited by MarkG; 08/05/21 04:49 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4576243 - 08/01/21 06:55 PM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
May as well post the other two Rock babes in my playlist (more adjustments might be made but these ladies aren't going anywhere)...

Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar - HQ/HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIosHNpGjTE

Quarterflash - Find Another Fool (Music Video 1982)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcICuFnkxe4

^ Electric violin reminds me of Rush's "Losing It" on Signals which came out around the same time.

++++++++++

And my favorite Rush concert intro for running...

Rush - Dreamline -Different Stages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9IpIX26zM8

The sun is in the east
#4576264 - 08/02/21 01:40 AM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Ok, one more, and then I'll give it a rest...because I *have* to (although a treadmill is easier on the knees and feet than pavement)!

Still my ultimate running-related song (low rez, but favorite version and the one I listen to)...

Rush - Marathon (A Show Of Hands - Live 1988)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x119LztC0t4

- Rocky
- Live Rush
- Rock babes
- A variety of other stuff

I think I'll be happy with this playlist for a while.

<sniff sniff...ugh> shower

The sun is in the east
#4576611 - 08/05/21 04:45 PM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Being tested on pavement now with the slightly cooler temps, and while building some endurance. I'm replacing The Police's "Don't Stand So Close to Me '86" (which I thought would be better than the original for this purpose) with Quiet Riot's "Bang Your Head (Metal Health)". Everything else is working well so far (songs are fast enough to keep pace with, or slow enough to double-step to).

Again, I can 'power walk' to just about anything, but even a slower-paced jog is far more difficult than any walking (and I never was the athletic type).

The sun is in the east
#4576612 - 08/05/21 04:50 PM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG

Again, I can 'power walk' to just about anything, but even a slower-paced jog is far more difficult than any walking (and I never was the athletic type).

Even when I was MUCH thinner in high school I still couldn't run that much before I felt wiped out.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4576614 - 08/05/21 04:59 PM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Remember having to run in high school gym class (maybe it was late-middle school)? biggrin

Go to 2:58...

Ferris Bueller's Day Off 1986 Chosen scene 0 test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7otPa-7Fb0

EDIT: I think I still have in storage one of my old PE uniforms (t-shirt and shorts with school logo and my name written in Marks-a-lot).

Last edited by MarkG; 08/05/21 05:47 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4576626 - 08/05/21 07:38 PM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
My brother in law and some friends of mine used to run in marathons all the time. They would run something like 5 to 10 miles a day. If they didn't get their run in, they were mad about it. My niece is like that now. I guess the whole "runner's high" dopamine thing is very true. I always hated jogging or going to the gym. I would love to go play 2 hours of drop in ice hockey at the local rink though. Sweat out all those toxins and drink a ton of water, was the best exercise and stress reliever I could ever find.

#4576645 - 08/06/21 02:33 AM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
I used to love to run when I was in the army, I’d go for about an hour or so every other night and 2 or 3 hours on weekends. Total was about 40-50 miles a week. Sometimes I’d wear my boots and carry a 40-50lb rucksack, I’d usually alternate sprinting/jogging/walking every few telephone poles. 3 guesses as to the main reason my knees are so jacked up now!

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4576657 - 08/06/21 11:30 AM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm like the cowboy in the first video... "Run for fun, what the hell kind of fun is that?" Lol.

The closest I come to getting a runner's high in my current non-running conditioning (otherwise in decent shape)...

I get on treadmill while not feeling it (most times), deciding to casually walk for 30 min. and just enjoy my tunes. Then after a couple of songs, body warmed up and blood circulating, I keep bumping up the speed until I'm just short of jogging (speed high-3s). Then the right song comes on and compels me to move even faster (I actually want to) as I break into a jog and maintain it for the duration of the song. Song ends and I bring it back down to a fast walking pace, maybe jog again for the next song.

Listening to a booster playlist won't be so important as I build my stamina back up, but for now it matters.

++++++++++

Feels ok at the moment, but my right knee sometimes gives me trouble, as do both of my ankles. I could never inline/blade skate on these ankles (genetics), although 4-wheel roller skates are fine. Keeping a lower weight helps tremendously as does owning a decent treadmill with absorption system (sides lined with coils). Going cheap on an exercise bike (only wife uses) is working out well, but I knew not to try a cheap treadmill.

The sun is in the east
#4576658 - 08/06/21 11:32 AM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
It's still soaking in for me that Ferris Bueller's Day Off is now 35 years old.

#4576660 - 08/06/21 11:41 AM Re: My Top 100 Jogging/Running Songs [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
This could be a runner-up (pun intended)...

OH YEAH-FERRIS BUELLER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG_6CopW9GQ

++++++++++

One with a promising title but didn't work for me...

Pat Benatar - You Better Run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvSbQB6-UdY

^ EDIT: Second song to air on MTV (August 1981):
----------
1. "Video Killed the Radio Star" - The Buggles
2. "You Better Run" - Pat Benatar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_music_videos_aired_on_MTV

The sun is in the east
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.