Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4575095 - 07/22/21 02:55 PM Re: Olympics [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Olympics is for cities and countries to get money and nice new stadiums and swimming pools and gyms.

That are usually very expensive both to build and maintain and in the end they usually fall to ruin or are demolished.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4575097 - 07/22/21 03:05 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The World Cup is just as bad. Instead of just awarding it to a nation with the infrastructure already in place, the geniuses at FIFA tend to give it to a nation that has none or little of this, so that it needs to be built, costing enormous gobs of money. See South Africa, Qatar, Brazil, etc. These nations then spend hundreds of millions, or even billions, to get it in place, and when the circus leaves town these edifices to greed and corruption then sit vacant and unused. A decaying symbol of their own ineptitude, with the price costing them long after their usefulness has dried up. Only thing left is the plight of the people to bear the burden of the cost.

https://sastadiums.com/what-happened-to-south-african-stadiums-after-2010-fifa-world-cup/

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/...-happened-to-brazils-world-cup-stadiums/

How much public money has Japan spent to host this Olympics? How much do they stand to get in return? Especially without any gate?

The Japanese people appear to be in opposition to the Games, and it's not like it's a split. It's nearly all of them. I'm not the leading expert on Japanese culture, but they strike me as a people who are often willing to bear a burden if it's good for the nation, a real national spirit. And for them to be so strongly against these Games seems to be quite telling.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4575098 - 07/22/21 03:14 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Can you imagine the graft and corruption involved in the cities that host these events.

#4575113 - 07/22/21 08:33 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
By the way, I looked in to the cost for Japan of hosting these games. Estimates vary, and these things tend to be under-reported to make it more palatable to the masses. Original estimate at the time Japan made its bid was 7.4 billion. But now, and again the figures vary according to who is talking, it is looking to ultimately cost Japan between 15 and 20 billion.

With foreign visitors banned I can't see how they will come anywhere close to recouping the outlay. TV rights go to the IOC, I would expect. So how is Japan going to get its money back? How much will this ultimately cost the Japanese people?

#4575117 - 07/22/21 09:01 PM Re: Olympics [Re: DBond]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by DBond
it is looking to ultimately cost Japan between 15 and 20 billion. So how is Japan going to get its money back?

Sell more cars and stereos and tv?

#4575143 - 07/23/21 03:02 AM Re: Olympics [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
and stereos and tv?

You're still stuck in the 80's. Pretty much all consumer electronics are made in China, Taiwan or Vietnam.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4575154 - 07/23/21 09:38 AM Re: Olympics [Re: wormfood]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Originally Posted by wormfood
Olympics is for cities and countries to get money and nice new stadiums and swimming pools and gyms.

That are usually very expensive both to build and maintain and in the end they usually fall to ruin or are demolished.

Interested posters here may be interested in this:
BBC on Olympic cost and legacy.

As regards the London site, it is a great legacy success, turning a brownfield derelict area into a great asset to the city, with both parks and sports and leisure facilities which are well utilised today.
I do recall the litigious stance regarding the words 'Olympic' and '2012' within a certain radius of the Park. I had to hoon round East London removing bin graphics I supplied to a Waste Container company which contained those words.
There was even a legal action to order an East London Greek family-owned eatery, which had been trading as the 'Olympic Cafe' for at least two generations, to 'cease and desist' using the word, and to change their signage at their own expense to 'Olympia'.
Despite our endemic English pessimism, the 2012 games was one of the most enjoyed and successful of the events.

#4575156 - 07/23/21 10:11 AM Re: Olympics [Re: BD-123]  
bolox Offline
bolox  Offline

BD- there is another side,

Many small businesses were kicked out to make way for it. The roads around London were all roadworks for ~1year- just so visitors wouldn't see the state of our normal cart tracks.
I'm in live events and many events didn't/couldn't happen that year (eg Glastonbury cos Olympics had taken over all the portable toilets in the country). Personally I lost alot of regular work that summer, ~half never came back.
Of course there were some who raked it in that summer

"There are two things that are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity. And I'm not even sure about the Universe." - Einstein
#4575168 - 07/23/21 01:53 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I lived in Atlanta for 8 years (late-1988 to late-1996) leading up to and including the Summer Games in '96, and what I remember about the Olympics (besides attending one event, some obscure handball game) was the incredible job market.

I was an AutoCAD/Intergraph/MicroStation CAD Operator (draftsman) with only a high school education, but I had my own CAD 'workstation' (a stout 486DX2/66 w/large NEC monitor: ~$10,000 when including software) and was moonlighting contract work in the evenings and on weekends. The opportunities (quantity of jobs and pay) were insane in the construction fields for both full-time and contracting jobs (many of us with our own machines did both). It was the closest I ever came to matching my wife's salary (degreed Accountant) if for a relatively short period of time.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4575169 - 07/23/21 01:54 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
The only ones who make any money on the Olympics is the IOC who get their total money no matter how well the Games do financially.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4575170 - 07/23/21 01:57 PM Re: Olympics [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
The only ones who make any money on the Olympics is the IOC who get their total money no matter how well the Games do financially.

Not if the TV ratings for the Olympic games continue on their current downward trend.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4575171 - 07/23/21 02:05 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I don't know how it is structured, but I would bet that the ratings risk isn't on the IOC, but on the broadcasters. In other words, the IOC sells the rights, for whatever price they can get, which is billions upon billions across the world as they negotiate each nation separately. This is paid way in advance, for example NBC locked up through 2020 in 2011, and then in 2014 extended it through 2032. Total outlay was in the region of 12 billion dollars. To this add all the other nations' broadcasting rights.

So if ratings do indeed tank at any point, the risk is assumed by the broadcaster. They may indeed negotiate some sort of pro-rate to soften the blow for the broadcaster if ratings tank, or make adjustments for a pandemic, but in general I think the IOC gets its money regardless of how the actual ratings pan out.

#4575173 - 07/23/21 02:12 PM Re: Olympics [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond

So if ratings do indeed tank at any point, the risk is assumed by the broadcaster. They may indeed negotiate some sort of pro-rate to soften the blow for the broadcaster if ratings tank, or make adjustments for a pandemic, but in general I think the IOC gets its money regardless of how the actual ratings pan out.

The networks can simply choose to drop the Olympics from their broadcast schedule or they can demand deep price cuts on the rights to broadcast them. Either option WILL affect the bottom line of the IOC.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 07/23/21 02:12 PM.

#4575197 - 07/23/21 04:43 PM Re: Olympics [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK

Not if the TV ratings for the Olympic games continue on their current downward trend.

The last Olympics I watch on TV was the Australia, that was awesome. Also London 2012, I still remember the bikini wearing cheerleaders dancing between sets during the Women's Beach Volleyball.

https://tinyurl.com/2mbyd6ec

#4575815 - 07/29/21 01:24 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've broken my vow and tuned in a little. Far less than in years past, but I still flip to it to see if there's anything interesting to watch.

But what I have watched is boring. Maybe I've changed, I don't know. Maybe it was always the investment I felt in my country that rose above the actual competition, which I still feel, but diminished in some way. I feel no real emotion watching it. And partly that is due to how uninteresting I am finding the actual competitions, at least those that have been on when I tune in.

Women's handball? Horrible game. I'm sure it's the same for men's handball too.

Women's fencing? Or any fencing for that matter? Seriously boring, as they dance back and forth pointing their flimsy swords at one another. One match I saw the players got yellow carded because they weren't actually 'in combat', if that's what it is called.They just shuffled forward and backwards. And when they get a strike in they screech. It's all pretty embarrassing.

Beach volleyball? Boring too.

Canoeing? Come on. In the Olympics?

Water polo? Lame.

I watched a little BMX racing. Not the worst thing ever, but by the fourth heat it was like I had seen it all already. Every race looked exactly the same, the course has lots of dipsy-doos, but not enough turns and there's little overtaking or even crashes. Also boring.

I did enjoy the archery, believe it or not.

Maybe the track and field will breathe some life in to these games for me, I dunno. But so far, of what I have seen, it's been dull. I find it hard to care about it anymore. probably says more about me than the Olympics, but there ya go.

#4575818 - 07/29/21 01:29 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Just tune into the Midwest Olympics instead:

#4575819 - 07/29/21 01:30 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
There is always snooker you know. biggrin

Championship league is airing now.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4575820 - 07/29/21 01:33 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
It seems like less and less people care about the Olympics.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/nb...2L9jqoJLnx6ZTRjk03kHkfhQNMOFGq2LQG7-Nx9g

#4575823 - 07/29/21 01:48 PM Re: Olympics [Re: Wigean]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Wigean
There is always snooker you know. biggrin

Not sure that's much of an improvement biggrin

#4575828 - 07/29/21 02:04 PM Re: Olympics [Re: rwatson]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
You might see snooker in the Olympics in 2024. biggrin

I wonder if the ratings are bad because of the time difference and that you are able to stream the events instead of watching them on linear television?

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.