Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4574792 - 07/19/21 05:33 PM Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)???  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Anyone have this? I'm interested in purchasing (have original but on VHS). Some commenters are refuting that this is the original movie, while others are saying they're wrong...

Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)

Very confusing. confused

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4574802 - 07/19/21 06:13 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I absolutely love the album and it's one of those albums that I've listened to at least 50 times. The film though? I've seen it twice and that was enough for me. It just didn't do it for me.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4574809 - 07/19/21 06:58 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Almost like comparing the movie to the book? smile

Ah, I enjoy the movie as well, the cool animations and feeling like I'm watching the MTV videos of the songs. I just miss the larger album packaging that came with the LP vs. the small book included with the CD (same with "Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds"...both double-LP/CD).

The sun is in the east
#4574811 - 07/19/21 07:05 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I just thought of the perfect comparison! The album "Magical Mystery Tour" is fricking brilliant and it has some of the most iconic Beatles songs ever written like "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Penny Lane" and "All You Need is Love".

However, the film is dreadfully bad and just WEIRD. Have you ever seen it Mark?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4574815 - 07/19/21 07:19 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I just thought of the perfect comparison! The album "Magical Mystery Tour" is fricking brilliant and it has some of the most iconic Beatles songs ever written like "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Penny Lane" and "All You Need is Love".

However, the film is dreadfully bad and just WEIRD. Have you ever seen it Mark?

I don't think so. I only have the "Sgt. Pepper..." movie (also on VHS) with Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees. That one, like "Xanadu" and "Labyrinth" is kind of fun to watch if I've had enough to drink (like most musical movies...RHPS being the granddaddy).

The sun is in the east
#4574823 - 07/19/21 08:08 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Man, I need this for Friday (my turn to choose and I need a break from John Hughes smile ) so I'm just going to order it and hope that it's similar to my VHS original (some are saying it's exactly the same, while others are saying it has added and/or deleted scenes).

Also purchasing "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" on DVD, make it a double feature. popcorn

The sun is in the east
#4574869 - 07/20/21 07:30 AM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: MarkG]  
RedOneAlpha Online content
RedOneAlpha  Online Content

LEGE
Tommy and Quadrophenia, if you don´t have them are well worth it too,

Personally I think Tommy the album is a masterpice by The Who.

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4574881 - 07/20/21 10:34 AM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Red2112

Agreed. The entire album is brilliant and it's one of those albums that I've listened to countless times by now. I can hear that introductory horn right now!

#4574882 - 07/20/21 10:37 AM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG

I don't think so. I only have the "Sgt. Pepper..." movie (also on VHS) with Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees. .

I saw this only once when it was shown on one of my local TV channels back when I was about 13 or 14. Even back then I knew the movie was terrible. The trivia section for the film on IMDB is a VERY interesting read to say the least. smile

#4574895 - 07/20/21 12:26 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou

I don't think so. I only have the "Sgt. Pepper..." movie (also on VHS) with Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees. .

I saw this only once when it was shown on one of my local TV channels back when I was about 13 or 14. Even back then I knew the movie was terrible. The trivia section for the film on IMDB is a VERY interesting read to say the least. smile

My wife actually saw this at a theater (guess she was about 10) in downtown Baton Rouge. Her family wanted to see one last movie at that theater before it shut down (theaters were moving out to the malls). She liked it, but that doesn't surprise me given her LP collection at the time: 33's and 45's including Bee Gees and Frampton. But she also likes "Xanadu" so go figure (I like the soundtrack). smile

The sun is in the east
#4574896 - 07/20/21 12:43 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
But she also likes "Xanadu" so go figure (I like the soundtrack). smile

I'm a big ELO fan so I really like the music in Xanadu. The movie itself though is pretty silly.

#4574941 - 07/20/21 07:08 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
But she also likes "Xanadu" so go figure (I like the soundtrack). smile

I'm a big ELO fan so I really like the music in Xanadu. The movie itself though is pretty silly.

Yeah, that one is a 2 drink minimum (both a double: 4 x 1.5 oz shots of 80 proof).

I am a fan of Costco...

Attached Files DSCF0003.JPG

The sun is in the east
#4574942 - 07/20/21 07:15 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Red2112
Tommy and Quadrophenia, if you don´t have them are well worth it too,

Have the album "Tommy", must get the movies now. Thanks.

The sun is in the east
#4574956 - 07/20/21 09:12 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: MarkG]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I remember the mall movie theatre by were I grew up would always show the same three movies at midnight on Friday nights. Pink Floyd's the Wall, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and Led Zepplin's The Song Remains the Same. The parking lot was always a weird combination of people partying before going in to see their respective movie. There were never any problems though. Everyone was feeling "pretty good" I guess. I must had seen The Wall dozens of times there.

The Who's Quadrofenia was a pretty good movie IMHO. The album was a masterpiece.

Last edited by LB4LB; 07/20/21 09:14 PM.
#4574959 - 07/20/21 09:26 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: LB4LB]  
RedOneAlpha Online content
RedOneAlpha  Online Content

LEGE
Originally Posted by LB4LB
I remember the mall movie theatre by were I grew up would always show the same three movies at midnight on Friday nights. Pink Floyd's the Wall, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and Led Zepplin's The Song Remains the Same. The parking lot was always a weird combination of people partying before going in to see their respective movie. There were never any problems though. Everyone was feeling "pretty good" I guess. I must had seen The Wall dozens of times there.

The Who's Quadrofenia was a pretty good movie IMHO. The album was a masterpiece.

Yeah those were the times!

Must have seen The Song Remains The Same 3 or 4 times too. The last midnight theater movie I saw back then was a Black Sabbath concert. I also remember a animated Lord of the Rings movie, and the movie Heavy Metal among the ones already mentioned. Wasent "The Warriors" a midnight movie back then? I miss the 80´s!

Cool pic MarkG biggrin

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4574966 - 07/20/21 11:57 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: MarkG]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
The movie Heavy Metal was showing at the drive in back then. Remember those? Cranking that music on the cheap speaker in the window was hysterical.

#4575198 - 07/23/21 04:45 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
"Heavy Metal", another VHS that I need on DVD (or Blu-ray if available, which it's not on "The Wall").

Still curious as to exactly what I'm getting...

==========
"I'm writing this review to refute (unfortunately) the top two reviews. I've done a lot of research on this and I can find no evidence that this version of the The Wall was edited from the original 1982 release. If anything, according to the IMDB section of Alternate Versions, this version may have more scenes than the original, and includes throwing the schoolmaster into the fire."
==========

...but unfortunately it won't be tonight, Amazon (I don't have Prime) didn't ship it in the box I'm getting today but with the USPS, which almost always takes longer to ship (crazy shipping routes...stuff arrives within 50 miles of my location, then goes somewhere 300 miles away, then comes back). Oh well. frown

But marriage is compromise...and for my good deed of recently sitting through the entire "Sixteen Candles", she's *finally* going to sit through the entire "The Day After", followed by one of her all-time favorites, "WarGames". A nuclear Armageddon double feature!

So "The Wall" and the other movies recommended on this thread (getting them all) are in my queue.

++++++++++

Only in the 80's will you find a song about being nuked while making love to your sweetie!... biggrin

Modern English - I Melt With You (Official Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuN6gs0AJls

The sun is in the east
#4575200 - 07/23/21 05:03 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I wonder if that was the only hit song Modern English had in the US? I can't think of any other songs from them.

#4575244 - 07/24/21 12:30 AM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: MarkG]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
If I remember correctly the original album did not include this song. I always wondered why. Great song, and great part of the movie.

#4575317 - 07/24/21 10:06 PM Re: Pink Floyd: The Wall (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)??? [Re: LB4LB]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I wonder if that was the only hit song Modern English had in the US? I can't think of any other songs from them.

Neither can I. I have only the one Modern English song in my collection.

++++++++++

Originally Posted by LB4LB
If I remember correctly the original album did not include this song. I always wondered why. Great song, and great part of the movie.

Yeah, the album just has a two min. "Empty Spaces" lead-in to "Young Lust".

Just watched the "Pink Floyd - Young Lust" movie video which apparently got past the YT censors (usually you won't see topless chicks without a YT account...and BTW, they are old-school fine yep ).

++++++++++

"The Day After" ...um, yeah... I didn't think this one through for a date night flick. duh I'd forgotten how horrific some of it is (and yes, I've seen "Threads" which is arguably worse on a humanitarian, if not special effects, level).

However, I think it's a good movie to watch as a couple/family if just to remind yourselves to be prepared for disasters, natural or otherwise.

The sun is in the east

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.