Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4575242 - 07/24/21 12:07 AM The 2 guys in the Battle of Britain movie.  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

When the guy answer the phone and he tells the CO it's a 2 section scramble and the CO said don't be wet. We just came down and still refueling. Then bombs starts to hit the airfield and everyone runs for the nearest fighter plane.

Why are those 2 guys sitting on the little wings attached to the tail?

[Linked Image]

You can see it at 47 minutes when a pilot is running toward the plane.

[Linked Image]

10 seconds later the pilot is trying to get in cockpit and those 2 guys are still there.

[Linked Image]

Will they jump off or did they plan to take a ride into the sky?

They also appear very content, maybe too content, to sit there while the pilots are running for fighter planes, fighter planes rushing to take off, German bombs are exploding around them.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4575245 - 07/24/21 01:23 AM Re: The 2 guys in the Battle of Britain movie. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Shadrik Offline
Shadrik  Offline

Sitting on the horizontal stabilizer to provide some ballast was fairly common with spitfires, the "rough weather procedure". And there was a person who actually did take a ride into the sky, Margaret Horton.

https://rafa.org.uk/blog/2021/03/08/magaret-horton/

#4575246 - 07/24/21 01:36 AM Re: The 2 guys in the Battle of Britain movie. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

I Google rough weather procedure and don't find a WIKI page.

#4575247 - 07/24/21 01:38 AM Re: The 2 guys in the Battle of Britain movie. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Shadrik Offline
Shadrik  Offline

Well, there probably isn't one, here is some information on it.

https://britishairshows.com/sitting-on-tail-of-spitfire

#4575248 - 07/24/21 01:52 AM Re: The 2 guys in the Battle of Britain movie. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I can remember who said it, but the Spitfire was said to "have been a lady in the sky, but a #%&*$# on the ground". Rhymes with witch.

Last edited by LB4LB; 07/24/21 01:53 AM.
#4575249 - 07/24/21 02:01 AM Re: The 2 guys in the Battle of Britain movie. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
"Little wings attached to the tail." I see where your name comes from....you really DON'T fly, do you?

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4575250 - 07/24/21 02:09 AM Re: The 2 guys in the Battle of Britain movie. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/artefact-month/the-waaf-who-flew-a-circuit-on-a-spitfire

In early 1945, Margaret Ida Horton was a WAAF (Fitter Mechanic Airframes) at RAF Hibaldstow, a satellite airfield to RAF Kirton-in Lindsey, Lincolnshire. Friday 9 February 1945 dawned a cold and overcast day with slight drizzle. However, by late morning the wind had increased considerably and the Duty Controller instructed that ‘rough weather’ procedures should be observed. These procedures included measures to ensure the safety of taxiing aircraft.

Margaret Horton was instructed to assist the pilot of Spitfire AB910 by sitting on the tailplane whilst he taxied to the take-off position. This was common practice in such conditions to prevent the aircraft ground looping.

At the end of the runway the pilot turned into wind and carried out his pre take-off checks. Forgetting Margaret was still on the tail, he commenced his take-off run. Margaret realising she could not jump off safely, clung on to the Spitfire’s rudder upright. After take-off the pilot quickly realised that his aircraft was not handling correctly; the reason for his predicament had also been seen by people on the ground. Fortunately, he was able to turn into the circuit and managed to land safely with Margaret still clinging to the aircraft.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4575251 - 07/24/21 02:22 AM Re: The 2 guys in the Battle of Britain movie. [Re: Pooch]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Pooch
"Little wings attached to the tail." I see where your name comes from....you really DON'T fly, do you?

Dad tells me to keep your feet on the ground.

Originally Posted by Shadrik

Thank you Shadrik.

This thing? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(aviation)

I did not know planes do that. Do airliners like a 747 do that?

#4575252 - 07/24/21 04:56 AM Re: The 2 guys in the Battle of Britain movie. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
LOL
You ought to take a wild guess now and then FB or, alternatively, read in full the Wiki page you shared with us all ;-)
There is a direct reference with a link to a 747 ground-looping at KaiTak Int’l Airport. This : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines_Flight_605

Fun fact. I was meant to be on that flight, but missed it. My car broke down on the highway while heading to the airport.

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4575254 - 07/24/21 08:52 AM Re: The 2 guys in the Battle of Britain movie. [Re: Shadrik]  
Chef Online content
Chef  Online Content

North Carolina
Originally Posted by Shadrik

Someone needs to trot this over to Mark Felton so he can do a video on it.

The road less traveled is filled with fewer needy people.
#4575255 - 07/24/21 08:57 AM Re: The 2 guys in the Battle of Britain movie. [Re: LB4LB]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Originally Posted by LB4LB
I can remember who said it, but the Spitfire was said to "have been a lady in the sky, but a #%&*$# on the ground". Rhymes with witch.

Indeed, due to it's narrow inboard undercart, especially on the many grass airfields of England at the time. That is why many pilots preferred the more robust Hurricane with wide track gear and a bit more tail-down forward vision over the nose than it's more glamourous sister. The Bf109 was even worse, many new and even experienced Luftwaffe pilots writing off kites, injuring themselves or being killed by it's notorious ground-handling. (You know all this I expect LB4LB, t'is for benefit of OP smile )

"I say Squiffy old bean, any claims?'

"I should say so Sir!
Top hole. Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.
Then I shot orf his little wings attached to the tail."

"Jolly good show Squiffers old chap, wizard prang what?"

#4575256 - 07/24/21 09:04 AM Re: The 2 guys in the Battle of Britain movie. [Re: BD-123]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by BD-123
Originally Posted by LB4LB

Indeed, due to it's narrow inboard undercart, especially on the many grass airfields of England at the time. That is why many pilots preferred the more robust Hurricane with wide track gear and a bit more tail-down forward vision over the nose than it's more glamourous sister. The Bf109 was even worse, many new and even experienced Luftwaffe pilots writing off kites, injuring themselves or being killed by it's notorious ground-handling. (You know all this I expect LB4LB, t'is for benefit of OP smile )

"I say Squiffy old bean, any claims?'

"I should say so Sir!
Top hole. Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.
Then I shot orf his little wings attached to the tail."

"Jolly good show Squiffers old chap, wizard prang what?"

Cabbage crates coming over the briney!

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.