Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 259 of 385 1 2 257 258 259 260 261 384 385
#4574835 - 07/19/21 09:19 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? *** [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I saw two good movies this weekend, which is a bummer because that means next weekend I will see crummy ones:

1) "Ms. 45" -- Assaulted twice in the same day, this lady has had enough. Watch as she snaps, is pushed over the edge, and shows her fellow man what a woman scorned can really do. Or so a tagline could read. Not only is this film fantastic, it should be required viewing for anyone seriously interested in the horror/revenge/slasher/thriller/crime genres. Many a director has drawn influence from this picture, including the likes of Quentin Tarantino. This is essential viewing. Billed as a crime revenge thriller, this movie is more. For the first time we have a "reverse slasher" film. In typical slashers, the focus is on the victims and their survival. In this film, we have someone bent on revenge who isn't so in the "justified" Bronson "Death Wish" way, but instead along the likes of Mike Myers and Jason Voorhees, where the focus is on the killer, not her subjects. She, the harmed, maimed and defamed, becomes lady death herself. I give this film a lofty rating of *** 3/4 stars out of 4. A true work of art.

I just watched this movie. I may have watched it many,many years ago but I certainly couldn't remember the vast majority of it. It was definitely a great movie, very hard-hitting but boy did it make me ashamed to be a male of the species at times. I didn't recognise the main actress so looked her up (Zoe Tamerlis Lund) and was surprised to see she died at the young age of 37 from a drug overdose.

Last edited by Chucky; 07/19/21 09:20 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4574866 - 07/20/21 03:04 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Allen]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Allen
Star Trek (reboot) 2009 release. .

The strongest aspect of the JJ Trek films for me is the main cast. Those actors really have a lot of chemistry and they gel very well together. The stories are less impressive though and have quite a few plot holes and there are certain parts in the third film (ST: Beyond) that just seemed like unnecessary action scenes.

I don't know if you've read recently but a fourth Star Trek movie using the same cast has just been recently green-lit by Paramount.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4574867 - 07/20/21 03:05 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG

I thought he was in "Caligula", but that was somebody else apparently. duh

Which actor in "Caligula" did you confuse with Sting?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4574892 - 07/20/21 12:05 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I thought he was in "Caligula", but that was somebody else apparently. duh

Which actor in "Caligula" did you confuse with Sting?

I thought Caligula was Sting. smile I know now that he was Malcolm McDowell.

In fairness to my ignorance, I watched Caligula only once, in the mid-80's. My future brother-in-law had introduced me to late-night cable television, HBO and Cinemax (back when there was only a single channel of each). Although he might have had "Caligula" on Betamax, I don't remember...except that we watched racy stuff after the ladies went to bed. Another racy movie we watched was "Cat People" which also starred Malcolm McDowell.

And to my greater surprise, Malcolm McDowell is the bad guy in a movie I watch often, "Blue Thunder".

++++++++++

On a side note: Given SimHQ’s demographics, I can’t be the only one who remembers when their family got cable, and then mentally trying to unscramble the squiggly lines on the Playboy Channel. biggrin

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4574894 - 07/20/21 12:20 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
. Another racy movie we watched was "Cat People" which also starred Malcolm McDowell.

And to my greater surprise, Malcolm McDowell is the bad guy in a movie I watch often, "Blue Thunder".

LOL yes. McDowell was often cast as bad guys or bad guys in racy movies. You can thank "A Clockwork Orange" for that. smile

#4574908 - 07/20/21 02:59 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Man! The 1980 had a lot of silly and strange TV

Cover Up https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086690/

A fashion photographer and a veteran special forces soldier posing as her model go on intelligence missions around the world.

For Love and Honor https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085016/

Fort Geller Texas is training center for paratroopers with instructors China Bell and more lenient Eugene Allard molding diverse recruits into a unit. Their captain is rascist Stephen Wiecek whose adulterous wife Phyllis drinks excessively.

Manimal https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085051/

A man who can change himself into any animal helps police solve crimes.

Battle of the Network Stars https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0321394/

Television stars are the contestants as the three major networks ABC, NBC and CBS battle each other in a variety of games including the tug-o-war and the obstacle course.

OMG! Ony 3 channels on TV!!

The Greatest American Hero https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081871/

A teacher is asked to be a superhero using a special alien suit with powers he can barely understand or control.

Sledge Hammer! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090525/

The adventures of a deranged and dumb police detective who always looks for the most violent solution to any problem.

There was even a talking car with the Baywatch guy. LMAO! Knight Rider https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083437/

A lone crimefighter battles the forces of evil with the help of a virtually indestructible and artificially intelligent supercar.

The Dukes of Hazzard https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078607/

The adventures of the fast-drivin', rubber-burnin' Duke boys of Hazzard County.

II want to watch this! World War III https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084919/

In 1987, Soviet paratroopers drop into Alaska to sabotage the oil pipeline in retaliation against a United States grain embargo

#4574921 - 07/20/21 04:22 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

We had 6 local channels in 1980 in Atlanta, if I recall, maybe 7:

ABC
CBS
NBC
PBS

I seem to recall there being 7, but I forget the last one. We had an antenna on our roof which was operated by dial in our living room. In 1983 or 84 we got cable...

Greatest American Hero, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazzard, Sledge Hammer! -- those are all iconic classics from the 80s and excellent shows. There was also The Fall Guy, Moonlighting, Miami Vice to name a few others... Later on there was MacGuyver. Don't forget Scarecrow and Mrs. King. That was another fun one.

For sci-fi in the 80s, there was "V" for starters, which was tops for the decade. Then there's the 8-episode classic "Otherworld" which deserved more episodes and seasons. Also, there was Buck Rogers... Which has the best introduction in sci-fi television history and Erin Gray as a bonus.

The 80s had not good, but great television. The 70s had some really good shows too.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 07/20/21 04:28 PM.
#4574922 - 07/20/21 04:30 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
"Manimal" was cancelled after about 8-9 episodes were aired by the network. It was a show with a laughably absurd premise and I really can't conceive of how or why that show was green lit in the first place. This show is right up there in the annals of "worst tv show idea ever" with that "Cavemen" show that was based on the Geico commercial cavemen.

#4574924 - 07/20/21 04:40 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

Buck Rogers was decent for when it originally came out but now it's really unwatchable in my opinion due to the high amount of cheesy/campy acting.

#4574925 - 07/20/21 04:43 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Television stars are the contestants as the three major networks ABC, NBC and CBS battle each other in a variety of games including the tug-o-war and the obstacle course.

Wrong! I'm sure most people had at least 4 stations (in Baton Rouge, LA, we had 4). smile

Instructions:
=========
1. Get lazy butt outta chair or sofa and walk to TV.
2. Turn TV on.
3. Select station (see details below).
4. If necessary, adjust antennas for best reception (rabbit ears for VHF and the square or round one for UHF...IIRC), as well as contrast and brightness knobs (and color knob if you have a color set).
5. Adjust volume (often same knob as On/Off).

Selecting stations:
==============
Turn VHF knob for VHF station (using BR stations as example):
2 ABC
9 CBS

Or turn VHF knob to U and then turn UHF knob to select UHF station:
27 LPB (Louisiana Public Broadcasting)
33 NBC
==============

Repeat many times.

At midnight go to bed as TV is off air until morning.

++++++++++

Unless there was something you *really* wanted to watch [EDIT: and you knew when it was coming on...TV Guide or newspaper], it just wasn't worth the hassle. So instead...

Go outside and play, ride your bicycle or play basketball with neighborhood friends until old enough to chase girls.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4574926 - 07/20/21 04:49 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Watching this that begin past Sunday. First 2 episodes of 8 episodes aired and are free to watch on History website. Remaining 6 episodes will air each Sunday through September.

The Machines That Built America https://play.history.com/shows/the-machines-that-built-america#episodes

“The Machines That Built America”
(Eight one-hour episodes)
TV. Radio. Phones. Airplanes. Motorcycles. Tractors. Home Appliances. Power Tools. These are “Machines That Built America.” This docuseries reveals the surprising stories and rivalries behind the ground-breaking innovations that turned America into a superpower. Blending dramatic reenactments and archival footage with interviews from experts, biographers, and others, “The Machines That Built America” brings to life some of America’s most storied inventors: Nikola Tesla, William Harley, Alexander Graham Bell, Duncan Black, Alonzo Decker, and many more. In eight episodes, viewers will meet these larger-than-life characters, inhabit their rivalries, and ride the rollercoaster of triumph and failure as they search for a breakthrough that will change humanity.

#4574971 - 07/21/21 01:04 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Watching first 2 episodes of The Machines That Built America

Episode 2 is about Air Pioneers: Douglas, Boeing, Fokker and Ford.

https://play.history.com/shows/the-machines-that-built-america/season-1/episode-2

I did not know this. Donald Douglas of Douglas Aircraft Company (later McDonnell Douglas, the company that made the F-15) was the first aircraft company to built an airplane that flew around the world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_aerial_circumnavigation

Using this plane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_World_Cruiser

Can you imagine flying around the world in those planes with open cockpit, no pressurized cockpit, no heating, no oxygen. They didn't have satellite and GPS. They did it with whatever paper maps they had on hands which at the time flight chart maps made for flying didn't exist. Then you add that flying was a new thing for the pilots of the 4 planes, it's incredible!!

WIKI:
The aircraft were equipped with no radios nor avionics of any sort, leaving their crew to rely entirely on their dead reckoning skills to navigate throughout the venture.

Boeing almost went under during its first few years after World War 1 when no one, civil and military, needed airplanes. He had no money to pay his employees. He was working as a digger in a potato field just to earn money to eat.

At the time airplanes were a curiosity. Whenever an airplane arrived in a town for a flying show, barnstorming they call it, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnstorming countless people went to see the show.

They wanted to see something they never seen before and more than anything, many in the crowd wanted to see it crash.

I know it was not a mile. 250 yards?

[Linked Image]

#4574972 - 07/21/21 01:18 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Quiet Place 2. Never saw the first. WOW. Where did did these creapy creatures come from. Going to have to watch the first.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4574973 - 07/21/21 01:20 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

First one sucked so much. So many holes i was putting my face into my hands and wanted to scream which would had gotten me thrown out of the theater, which would had been a blessing. Don't waste your time with it. I won't see part 2. The guy needs to be in another Jack Ryan season, not in sheety sequel to a sheety movie.

#4575062 - 07/22/21 02:05 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

A great film. Free to watch as much as you like with Amazon Prime membership.

https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Britain-Harry-Andrews/dp/B07NZ9X7TY

Don't have Prime? Full movie:

#4575068 - 07/22/21 03:28 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
A great film. Free to watch as much as you like with Amazon Prime membership.

https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Britain-Harry-Andrews/dp/B07NZ9X7TY

Don't have Prime? Full movie:

Seen it in the theater when it was released with my Dad. At that time.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4575094 - 07/22/21 02:50 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Battle of Britain was a classic. Had a good soundtrack too.

#4575115 - 07/22/21 08:52 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

I just order this from Amazon, $19.99, free PRIME shipping. Might be interesting & naughty French movie. biggrin

It's Criterion. Never hard pass Criterion.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/La-Piscine-Blu-ray/289463/

https://www.criterion.com/films/30223-la-piscine

[Linked Image]

#4575141 - 07/23/21 02:52 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

This just drop on Prime. https://www.amazon.com/Jolt-KATE-BECKINSALE/dp/B097QB7MDZ I will watch it because it's free to watch. But I am not expecting much. 44% Rotten Tomato. Only 91 minutes.

Why is she not killing Vampires & Werewolfes?

Where's Morgan Freeman?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10228134/fullcredits/

#4575144 - 07/23/21 03:04 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wormfood]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by wormfood
Battle of Britain was a classic. Had a good soundtrack too.

The movie really has no major weakness in my opinion. Some modern day viewers might say the film has a rather sanitized view of war but that applies to all war movies that were made before the mid 70's.

Page 259 of 385 1 2 257 258 259 260 261 384 385

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.