Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 321 of 366 1 2 319 320 321 322 323 365 366
#4574581 - 07/17/21 02:12 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

e power of course better landing skills could have helped

#4574601 - 07/17/21 06:20 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, I’m at a point where I’ll need to reinstall WoFF just to see if it isn’t a user error. It just doesn’t make any sense and I don’t believe OBD would make their otherwise lovely AI behave like that. It has to be a glitch on my machine otherwise someone else would notice this behaviour.
It did look like the other two Albatroses must have had better engines, or the one in the back was already damaged. Either way - advantage Kevin.

Carrick, too bad about Henri. Time to get more flying lessons. Better luck with the new man.

17 July, 1918
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Leutnant Klaus Gustav Raben PLM HHO EK1 EK2
Fokker D.VII
44 confirmed kills

“- Get up Klaus. We need to go.” A familiar voice and a stern prod of a hand woke Klaus from a deep sleep. He tried to match the voice to a face.
“- What time is it, August?” Klaus was trying to rub the sleep out of his eyes.
“- Five o’clock. Get dressed, pack your dress uniform, and get some breakfast in you. We’re leaving for Berlin in one hour.” The C.O. kicked the leg of the bed Klaus was sleeping in to urge him out of it.
Half an hour later Klaus was finishing his ersatz kaffee when August walked in. He smiled at his cousin.
“- Ready to go?”
Klaus had his bag packed and ready. August explained to him he received a phone call earlier in the morning that the Kaiser will be attending a banquet and requests presence of his latest hero. They would take the Jasta hack to fly to Berlin, accept the award, sleep over and return the next morning.
The sun was already up over the eastern horizon when their two-seat machine took off. Klaus in the observer’s seat fell asleep somewhere over Frankfurt. They landed at Johannisthal near noon and the weather was the least accommodating to welcome them there. After checking in to their hotel, August retired to his room to catch a few winks after the trip, while Klaus went for a walk about the city. He didn’t stray far as not to get lost. The people on the streets appeared downtrodden and certainly malnourished, apart from occasional fat General or an Oberst always with a fancily dressed woman on their arm. It made no sense to Klaus how most of the population was on the verge of starvation while the military were enjoying the luxuries of life. While he was standing and inspecting one of the poorly stocked storefronts he noticed a line of children walking down the street holding up signs which read: “Who signs the war loan, shortens the war.”

[Linked Image]

“- So that’s how the Generals can afford all the frivolities.” Klaus had finally understood how this war worked. He was hardly surprised. This is how the war coffers have always been filled. With people’s sense of patriotism. Klaus has had enough of sightseeing and sauntered back to the hotel.
The evening was upon them and it was time for the presentation. Ever since the afternoon Klaus had become less than enthusiastic about the whole affair and frankly would prefer to avoid it if at all possible. August on the other hand made up for it with his enthusiasm of meeting the Kaiser. The two men have put on their dress uniforms and came down to be taken to the venue. Once there, they were greeted by the dignitaries, high ranking officers and ladies alike. Klaus more so than August. The older man didn’t mind. He was there along for the ride, after all. Klaus was getting annoyed with all the attention directed at him. It was almost like fighting two-seaters back in the skies of Verdun. He looked to his older cousin for help but he was already chatting up a girl with a very high-pitched laughter. He’d have to go on alone. He considered August already MIA.
Finally the moment arrived and the Emperor was announced when he walked into the room. Everyone stood up and joined in in welcoming the ruler with a energetic rendition of Heil dir im Siegerkranz. While singing, Klaus marvelled how much the melody of their national anthem resembled that of the British national anthem. The very same nation they were locked in deadly combat. The monarch raised his right hand and offered his royal greeting as a sign of appreciation. His wife, Empress Augusta Viktoria von Schleswig-Holstein followed him closely, then an arsenal of generals, with Ludendorff among them and other dignitaries and officials.

[Linked Image]

Wilhelm began the tour of the room greeting his guests individually. When it came time to meet Klaus, General Ludendorff made the introductions himself.
“- Ah, here’s our newest hero, I see.” The Kaiser responded after Raben’s salute. “- Dona, come look!” He addressed his wife. “- He’s even younger than Manfred. How old are you son?”
“- Twenty, Your Highness.” Klaus responded, hoping the answer would be satisfactory.
“- Mein Gott! Zwanzig! Dona, that’s younger than any of our children. Well done my boy. Hals und Beinbruch.” The monarch put his right hand on Raben’s shoulder.
“- I hear you’ve shot down 44 confirmed enemy machines.”
“- 47, your Royal Highness.” Ludendorff corrected the Emperor. “- Just yesterday Leutnant Raben brought down two Strutters and a SPAD.”
“- That’s quite a score.” Wilhelm agreed. “Not as spectacular as von Richthofen’s but impressive nonetheless.” He then reflected. “- What is this I hear you holding the rank of Leutenant? Clearly with a tally like yours, this deserves a promotion. Don’t you agree … Oberleutnant?” The Kaiser looked directly at Klaus.
“- Danke!” It was all Raben’s stunned brain could produce.
“- Make it so, Ludendorff.”
“- Jawohl!” The General was clearly surprised as well.
After the presentation Kaiser Wilhelm asked Klaus what he needed to win this war. Klaus didn’t have to think long. “- We need a weapon against those Sopwith Strutters. A sturdier plane or better armament. The French installed a canon that fires through the propeller hub. We need similar weapon to bring enemy planes with one shot to reduce exposure to our pilots from the return fire of rear gunners. Or better yet, remove the risk altogether. Those French have Le Prieur rockets to destroy our balloons from a safe distance. What if our engineers could design rockets to be able to shoot into the middle of the enemy formation from afar?”
The Emperor’s eyebrows went up from surprise at such radical thinking. He was not sure how to respond. General Ludendorff came to his rescue, “- I have just the man you may want to speak with about your ideas.” He looked around the room and spotted the person he was looking for.
“- Anthony, where is that partner of yours? Our hero Flieger has some ideas he may be interested in.” He asked the man. “- I know he’s a progressive thinker.”
Fokker looked around, “- Hugo should be here somewhere. There he is.” He pointed the man out. “- Let me introduce you to my business partner Hugo Junkers. He’s done some … interesting work.”
After discussing the problem with Junkers, the man was enthusiastic but skeptical. “- The problem with the French canon in the nose is that there is a lot of smoke in the cockpit when the canon is fired, leaving the pilot temporarily blind. The weapon is difficult to reload after each shot while piloting and the recoil is tremendous.” The engineer knew his stuff.
“- What if an automatic weapon with smaller caliber could be installed? Like the 20 mm Becker canon?” Klaus mused.
“- We thought of that too.” Junkers responded. “- The problem is not the weapon, but the engine. You see, the French canon is mated with a V-8 Hispano-Suiza engine. The barrel of the weapon lies between the banks of cylinders and can easily shoot through the hub of the propeller. The German most widely used engine is a Mercedes straight-six. There is no way to run a barrel between the cylinders and we can’t mount it on the cowling, like the Spandaus, because Becker is impossible to synchronize. We are working on new V-type aero engines, but the development is not going very well and it will be quite some time before it is ready.” Hugo wasn’t optimistic. “- Can I interest you in an all metal aeroplane? It is nearly impossible to shoot down. All the bullets simply bounce off the skin. It is a bit difficult to maneuver though and quite underpowered.”
Klaus wasn’t interested. Slow and low wasn’t the way to go. The conversation continued, but it was clear no solution could be found any time soon, despite the best of intentions.
After the banquet Klaus had to return to the hotel by himself since August was nowhere to be found. He stopped in front of his cousin’s hotel door to check on him, but before he had the chance to knock he heard the familiar very high-pitched laughter from within. One of the generals was surely very miffed at this moment. Klaus made his way back to his room and simply dropped on the bed, Blue Max and all. Tomorrow morning they have to fly back to Montingen.

Attached Files War loan.jpgWilhelm II and wife.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4574603 - 07/17/21 06:23 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fullofit - Our posts crossed. It does seem odd for sure. Your video shows your Jasta being attacked and then the next moment they've all scarpered. Not diving for home, not trying to pick a target, they just scarpered.

I've got a book listing all the French victories throughout the war. I'm going to do some homework and see how many victories were scored by Strutters and Breguets.

As much as the AI it's the structural strength of those Strutters when they're diving like that. I've flown a lot of Strutters in WOFF and they simply cannot dive like that without severe structural damage.

So Klaus has been to Berlin, and saw sights he wasn't expecting. The realities of wartorn Germany, shortages, hungry citizens, strikes and always the fatcat military and industrialists seem to suffer nothing. It was quite a do it seemed and the Kaiser seemed impressed.

So Junkers couldn't promise a miracle weapon anytime soon, as always it's going to rely on the skills and determination of the pilots.

Great pictures btw.

------------

Captain Kevin Carroll, DSO, MC, DFC
41 Squadron
Conteville

56 confirmed kills

17th July 1918

Kevin was awoken by a very loud bang and immediately leapt out of his bed. He ran to the window and was about to don his flying gear when he realised it was teeming with rain. The next moment a flash of lightening lit up the sky and a few seconds later a loud thunderclap shook the buildings.

Kevin realised what it was that had woken him up.

The mechanics had wheeled the aircraft into the hangers which was a sure sign that no flying was imminent.

This was confirmed a short while later as Major Bowman sent the Adjutant around to inform everyone that flying was cancelled for the day.

Kevin decided to get busy writing. He worded a letter to his parents, informing them what had gone on this last few weeks.

Then he set about writing to Olivia........

Miss Olivia McCullough
Number 5, British Red Cross Hospital
B Section
Abbeville

Dear Olivia,

I received your letter yesterday. Thank you for writing back to me. It really made me smile.

You were worried I wouldn't write to you? I could think of little else since meeting you. I understand what you mean though, men can have a singular vision when in uniform and in the presence of nurses.

You are right to distance yourself from the horrors of your profession. I also try not to get too involved in the frequent losses. Not to be aloof or uncaring, but to simply allow myself to stay focussed on my own job.

I didn't set out that evening to meet anyone, but having seen you for the first time, I was captivated. Well and truly smitten. To find out you were taken with me too, well that's good news although you are clearly better at innocent glances than I am.

Your Aunt Stephanie sounds like a good woman and she clearly did a fine job raising you alongside your Father.

I have now written to my parents and told them my news these last few weeks. My sister still lives at home as well, although she has started working in the local greengrocers, she is only 16.

My real intention in writing this is because I have news, good news for me and hopefully good news for you.

I am being presented with an award on Tuesday 20th July in Abbeville. I will be at the presentation around lunchtime. From then though my time is my own and if you can arrange a few hours we can most definitely meet up.

I will be at La Cloche in the afternoon and would be delighted if you would join me. If you can't get the time then maybe I can see you when you're shift ends.

I will finish now and think about meeting you again. It is a most pleasurable thought too.

I sincerely hope you can get to La Cloche on Tuesday afternoon and I cannot wait to see you then.

Take care sweet Olivia.

Yours

Kevin

Kevin enveloped both letters and put them in the mail tray. He then asked the Adjutant "What time does the mail go?".

"In about 20 minutes Captain, your timing is impeccable" said the Adjutant.

Kevin smiled, thanked the Adjutant and left.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4574612 - 07/17/21 08:08 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, no need to check. We all know Strutters weren’t such a big threat, especially by 1918 and especially not to D.VII, but these ones turn much better even than Nieuports, not to mention those dives. If they fly along SPADs, they’re there for the flying bricks’ protection. Why would anyone want to fly a SPAD if they had such a wonderful plane like the Strutter? Regardless, I’ll reinstall WoFF and see if that’s the issue. Somehow I doubt it.
No flying for Kevin due to inclement weather, eh? Good thing Klaus was able to get out just in time before the weather front settled in. It is good timing though, as Kevin had enough free time to catch up with his correspondence. Fingers crossed Olivia can make it for the rendezvous on Tuesday.
In my best Darth Vader voice: “- So, you have a sister.”

#4574618 - 07/17/21 08:59 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
I've totted up the victories by Strutters from 1917 through to the end it's looking around 20 odd and that's including probables.

The Breguets were far more successful and there were at least two Breguet aces. The Salmsons were also very successful with their own aces.

Maybe the superlative but unrealistic Strutter in 1918 is to make up for the fact we don't have the Salmson in the sim.

It should be noted that losses for all three types far outweighed their victories.

Yes Kevin has a sister......oi...no turning her to the dark side.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4574620 - 07/17/21 09:37 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Sixteen is such an impressionable age … oh, wait we we’re talking about Strutters, right? Well, typically if a plane is missing in WoFF, it is missing. No substitutes, but even if that was the case and the Strutters were intended to stand in for Salmsons (shame on you OBD) then it is still an unbelievable flight model. I wonder if they fly like this in 1916? That would be the plane to fly. I assume your experience with Strutters is pre-BHaH? I’ve flown the Strutter in one of my previous DiD incarnations for a while and the experience of losing wings in a dive was very similar to yours. Then again Strutters never did numbers like this pre-BHaH. The uptake is that Klaus must make sure their losses continue to far outweigh their victories.

#4574624 - 07/17/21 10:23 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
I don't think the Strutter is there in 1918 to replace the Salmson. But it's one of the few things that might make a modicum of sense. I think it's the AI together with half decent flight characteristics. It's not that the Strutter turns like that, it's that the gunner hits you more often than not, when the Strutter turns like that, throwing those incredible hi-G turns, even with the AI gunners set to 'less accurate'.

Yes my experience of Strutters was the same, dive for more than 5 seconds and you start falling to bits.....and pull too tight a turn and bang go your wings.

Maybe you need to be the CO, then the cowards will follow you without question. Shouldn't be too long, but you might need to switch Jasta's to do it.

#4574629 - 07/17/21 10:45 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
True, the rear gunner can take the wings off a fly from a kilometre away, often with the first volley. The range when they start shooting also has been increased in BHaH. But for me the most unbelievable aspect is their turn rate. I have problems keeping up with them when turning. Those Strutters have no issues with pulling the tightest of the tight turns without breaking a sweat, let alone a wing.
As to the rest of the Jasta engaging the enemy. It is rather spotty. They will ignore them completely one day, then the next, they will shove you out of the way to get at any enemy that is within reach. Klaus gets to lead the Jasta from time to time, so that is not the issue. It’s this unpredictability if they will follow, that keeps you on your toes. It’s sort of like that centurion leading his phalanx of legionaries against Asterix’s village. He ends up being the only one charging.

#4574689 - 07/18/21 06:22 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
41 Squadron
Conteville

56 confirmed kills

18th July 1918

The thunderstorms had relented and the warm temperature had helped dry the airfield. The rain continued to fall however the airfield was considered usable. A flight briefing was due around lunchtime.

At about 11.30am Kevin was getting his flying gear together. At that moment the airfield alarm sounded. Kevin grabbed his gear and ran out onto the airfield shouting for the mechanics to start the engines.

A few minutes later he was airborne and climbing for all he was worth, up towards the enemy bombers who were now being pounded by local flak batteries.

He was directly below the enemy aircraft now and could see they were DFW's. Four of the bombers had now formed back up and were heading home. Kevin positioned himself underneath these and came up slowly.

It worked and he came up directly behind the lead Hun. He poured bullets into the enemy who belatedly tried to evade. Another burst must have hit the German's controls as the aircraft lurched over and spun down into the ground west of Bruay airfield.

Kevin came around for another target. As he lined up again the DFW's swung around in order to evade and give their gunners a shot. Kevin swung behind one of them and fired into the Hun. Just then bullets whacked into his fuselage and Kevin saw the fuel line had been cut.

He now blasted the DFW with his remaining lewis gun ammo and vickers and finally the German went the same way as the first one did, in an uncontrollable spin down into the ground.

Kevin now switched off the engine to prevent a fire and glided down.

He wondered if he would land alongside his victim but he was actually struggling to find a suitable spot to set the SE down.

Everything seemed to be trees or fences. He eventually found a couple of hundred yards of flattish land and set the aircraft down safely.

Other SE's flew over so he had been seen. About 30 minutes later a car and a Crossley came trundling down a path.

"Everything alright sir? Are you hurt?" asked Sergeant Edwards.

"No I'm perfectly fine Sergeant thank you. Just get me back to Conteville will you" said Kevin.

Another 30 minutes later and Kevin was safely back at Conteville and went to freshen up and make his report.

Kevin went to see Major Bowman a little later.

"Glad to see you made it down alright Captain. At least it was a fuel line and not your controls." said Bowman.

"We'll have to wait for confirmation of your claims Kevin, no doubt the flak boys will have something to say about them" he continued.

"That's fine sir and yes I was lucky in a way although trying to find a strip to land her on was the tough part" said Kevin.

"I was meaning to ask you sir about the arrangements for Tuesday. Is the presentation at lunchtime?" asked Kevin.

"Yes it is. Why do you ask?" said the Major.

"Once it's finished, if you don't mind sir I've arranged to meet with someone" said Kevin.

Bowman's face betrayed a faint smile as he said "Oh, I see, Captain McCall and I are not considered sufficient company then?"

"Well sir, obviously under normal circu......" Bowman interrupted Kevin before he could finish his sentence.

"I'm joking you idiot, who is she? The nurse you met the first time? Good show. Yes I'm sure McCall and I can be discreet" said Bowman.

"Yes sir and thank you" said Kevin who saluted and left.

Attached Files 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

#4574704 - 07/18/21 10:04 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

good stories to go with my coffee Keep em up

#4574712 - 07/19/21 12:27 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, finally flying weather again. And just in time to chase away a few a Hun bombers. Two definitely will not be returning, but they’ve put up a good fight and nearly took Kevin with them. Luckily he was able to find a piece of clear land to land on. Then the plans to meet Olivia have been finalized. Let’s hope she can arrange for the time off.

18 July, 1918 15:20
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Oberleutnant Klaus Gustav Raben PLM HHO EK1 EK2
Fokker D.VII
47 confirmed kills

In the morning the two Rabens met in the hotel’s lobby to take the flight back to the airfield. Klaus was the one who got a good night’s sleep, but it was August with the smile on his face. They were back at the airbase by noon, just in time to rest and join the rest of Jasta on their afternoon sortie.
They were tasked with supporting the ground forces south of Pont-à-Mousson as it has become the norm for Jasta 18 lately.
A bunch of Bréguets showed up near their patrol area. The enemy went straight for Klaus and the rest of the Schwarm simply continued on in formation as if nothing out of the ordinary was going on. Klaus was able to avoid the attacks and involve some of the Fokkers. Soon the French bombers retreated with one being shot down in flames.

YouTube Link

Klaus continued the patrol until the Bréguets reappeared and renewed their attack on Raben. More Fokkers were now involved and the bombers lost their initiative. In fact, they were put in their place by the German scouts. Klaus engaged one of the impertinent two-seaters and after some time brought it down in flames near a troop camp west of Pont-à-Mousson. Many planes were damaged in this scrap and Raben thought it would be prudent to bring them all back home for repairs.

YouTube Link

#4574724 - 07/19/21 06:26 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Carrick - Enjoy the coffee, I also enjoy catching up with the other tales with a brew. So are you having a rest or are you starting afresh with another pilot?

Fullofit - Yes Kevin's plans seem to be coming together, but history tells us this is the most risky time.

More French two seaters for Klaus & Co. At least some of his Jasta got involved this time. They certainly look very sturdy those Breguets, like enormous SPADs. He certainly took care of that last one, a big flamer. Hopefully it gets confirmed.

#4574810 - 07/19/21 07:01 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Albert: No rest for the wicket so its one more time into the breach

#4574812 - 07/19/21 07:07 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
41 Squadron
Conteville

56 confirmed kills (awaiting two confirmations)

19th July 1918

Morning sortie

Kevin, Fred McCall and 'Dozy' Claxton were having breakfast before the morning briefing. "Are you not hungry Fred?" asked Kevin, "That's not like you" he continued.

"I'm ok, just a bit tired I think, a bit run down" said McCall.

"Yeah we could all do with some proper time off" said Claxton, "I can't see that happening any time soon" he finished.

"How long have you been feeling like this Fred?" asked Kevin.

"The last few days, i'm not going to see the MO, I'm ok" said McCall.

The airfield alarm started clanging and flak guns started pounding something.

Kevin grabbed his helmet and gloves and ran outside. The mechanics had already started the engines and Kevin jumped into his crate and was hurtling down the airfield.

The weather had improved thankfully and Kevin could already see the enemy aircraft high above.

As he climbed he looked back and could see several other SE's now getting airborne.

Kevin was climbing quickly and could identify seven DFW's in two formations.

He was now getting upto the enemy's height and crept up on the lead DFW as he turned around. He nosed up and fired a long burst into the Hun and dropped back down. He did it again, popping up, blasting the Hun and then back down behind the tail.

A third such burst smacked into the cockpit and the pilot fell forward. The DFW nosed down and went straight down into the ground near Bruay airfield.

As Kevin came around for another target the other SE's now tore in and started tearing up the other Hun aircraft.

Kevin thought better of getting involved again and stayed on the periphery and watched German after German falling.

Within 10 minutes it was all over and the SE's made their way home. All landed safely although 'Beery' Bowman had sustained some damage to his controls and another SE had sustained damage.

All seven Huns had paid the ultimate price for their outing.

Afternoon sortie

Kevin took the afternoon briefing with 'B' flight and explained they'd be heading towards the lines south of Bethune for a patrol. 'A' flight had already left to escort some Breguets over to the Arras lines.

The weather was still improving and the temperature was high with little wind to hamper the aircraft.

The formation climbed up to 14000 feet and headed out east. The journey out was going quietly until Kevin looked to the right and saw a formation of aircraft moving quickly.

Flak bursts were all Kevin needed to decide what to do, he swung the formation right and nosed up towards the enemy scouts.

'B' flight had now been seen and the enemy aircraft, now identifiable as Fokkers dived into the attack.

Kevin avoided the attacks and swung up and around looking for an opening. He found one as a Hun latched onto Fred McCall's SE. Kevin lined up before the German had a chance to fire accurately. He hit the Fokker who gave up his attack and rolled right.

Kevin went with him and followed him down. He blasted him again and as the Hun tried to climb away he put another accurate burst into the German. The pilot slumped forward and the Fokker went straight down into the ground near the lines.

Kevin could only see one other Fokker who was now well over the lines. He formed back up with several SE's and they headed home.

Five Huns had been downed and although an SE crashed on landing the pilot was not seriously hurt.

As the pilots headed in Fred McCall ran to catch Kevin up. "Hey buddy, thanks for getting that Hun off my six" said McCall.

"No problem Fred, you've done it for me in the past" said Kevin.

Kevin was informed later that the two claims today and the two from yesterday had been confirmed, bringing him to 60 confirmed kills.

He enjoyed a drink in the bar later but not too much. He had a busy day tomorrow.

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpg

#4574814 - 07/19/21 07:09 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Hercule Orville Lorrient
Sgt , Esc 44
Brequet 14AI
Esquennoy, Flanders

July 16 1918.

Arrived at the Esc and Test drove my Aero machine. Zee machine is large fly's smooth but not nimble. The Vickers is an old type maybe 9-10 rds a burst. My OB says the twin back guns fire a lot faster. with that done it was off to the party in town

Attached Files CFS3 2021-07-19 11-49-55-17.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 07/19/21 11:23 PM.
#4574819 - 07/19/21 07:44 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Carrick - A Breguet driver! Mon dieu! Get your tactics sorted with your gunner and it could be great fun. Bon chance.

#4574847 - 07/19/21 11:37 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Hercule Orville Lorrient
Sgt , Esc 44
Brequet 14AI
Esquennoy, Flanders

17 July 1918.

Mon Dieu ! A photo mapping mission turning into a Melee of Flyers turning and circling each other. Our 2 a/c and 5 Bristfit Escorts mixed it with Zee Boche. I couldnt see stooge -em around when a Jasta ( 46 ) jumped our escorts I learned quickly to keep the nose down when turning and dropping height for speed. I got off 97 rds .but didnt hit anything. my gunner Louis got off 200 rds before he got Killed ( he was the only lost. ) I didnt see any a/c go down. I am sure that we helped the Bristfits.

Attached Files CFS3 2021-07-19 15-55-55-10.jpgCFS3 2021-07-19 15-59-26-91.jpgCFS3 2021-07-19 16-01-31-12.jpgCFS3 2021-07-19 16-03-09-40.jpgCFS3 2021-07-19 16-03-34-43.jpgCFS3 2021-07-19 16-05-12-98.jpg
#4574848 - 07/19/21 11:40 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, unfortunately, as you will see soon enough, the bomber was denied. Too many cooks in the kitchen.
Kevin, on the other hand, is enjoying a nice streak of confirmed victories. Someone in the claims office must like him.
So, a DFW to go with his coffee and a Fokker after lunch. Kevin is just making it look easy.
Big day tomorrow!

19 July, 1918 06:45 morning mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
47 confirmed kills

The Bréguet on fire has been denied. Too many pilots were claiming it to determine who dealt the final blow.
This morning the Schwarm was sent to patrol enemy front lines between Malzeville and Pont-à-Mousson. The flight went by without much excitement until Jasta’s return trip when Schwarm Eins spotted a pair of Bréguets and went after them. Schwarm Zwei followed while Klaus observed from above. When the time was right he swooped down and attacked one of the bombers. His aim wasn’t true on the first pass and the French two-seater easily avoided the attack. The two began to circle each other and the rear gunner automatically targeted Raben’s Fokker, despite many other German planes attacking the large plane. The Frenchman hit the Fokker’s wing and quickly followed with another. Klaus felt his controls go slack and his plane was now less responsive. The German Flieger continued to track the enemy nonetheless. After another tight turn he heard a crack but couldn’t tell where the sound had come from. He looked to the right. The starboard lower wingtip was flapping in the wind. Klaus quickly checked the position of the Bréguet and only then he realized he was in trouble. His wingtip was flapping in the wind! It took a while to register, but he quickly disengaged after this discovery and promptly directed his plane to the closest airfield. Thankfully the rest of the Schwarm was keeping the bomber busy. Raben checked his plane’s stability after reducing his motor’s revs and he was satisfied he can keep it under control. He then proceeded to land his damaged crate. The rest of the Schwarm landed soon after and claimed both two-seaters. Meanwhile the carpenters and the riggers started work on Raben’s Fokker to get it ready for the next mission.

YouTube Link

19 July, 1918 13:25 afternoon mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
47 confirmed kills

“- Gentlemen, today we’re doing something different.” The room was quiet now as the C.O. commenced his mission briefing.
“- We are going after a French gasbag. Three pilots are assigned to do this. Brauch, Raben and Spindler. You’ll take care of the balloon near Malzeville and get back here as soon as possible. Understood?” August was already gathering his notes.
“- Who’s flying the top cover for us?” Klaus raised the question.
August looked straight at him and answered: “- Nobody. It’s just the three of you. It’s an observation balloon after all, not a formation of Strutters.”
Klaus pursed his lips in displeasure. Everyone now was leaving the room.
“- So, how do you want to do it?” Brauch was looking at Klaus expectantly, even though he was leading the flight.
Klaus was surprised Martin Brauch was asking his opinion. It felt good. It filled him with confidence.
“- We’ll go low and we’ll stay low. This way we should avoid all high flying patrols. We’d be outnumbered anyway. We’ll fly low but not too low to get hit by the Poilus below.”
“- What if we encounter a low flying patrol?” Spindler interjected nervously. “- We’ll be outnumbered then too.”
“- Our planes can outmaneuver anything the enemy can throw at us this low. Remember, they’ll not be able to dive to get away from us. If we meet any hostile machines, we’ll hit them hard. Get the gasbag and be back home for Schnapps und Würste. Ja?” Klaus reassured his flight mate.
Spindler smiled meekly.
“- Let’s do this, Gentlemen!”
Their flight across the mud was uneventful and once over the target, Flak opened up and Brauch went into a dive. Spindler followed and then Raben. The two Fokkers in front opened fire and the balloon started to smoke. Klaus kept back to make sure to finish the balloon off in case the men ahead don’t manage to pop it. There was no need for it however. The gasbag burned brilliantly. All three Fokkers formed up and returned across the lines post haste. After landing, Brauch made the claim and all three men headed for the Kasino. They could smell the sausages all the way from outside.

YouTube Link

#4574851 - 07/20/21 12:08 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Albert, lovely see that Olivia has not forgotten Kevin!

Carrick – no! Just when things were going so well for Henri. I hope you have an enjoyable time with your new Breguet jockey!

Fullofit – it’s getting late in the war. Klaus’s mates seemed to have formed a soldiers’ committee and decided to call rotating strikes, leaving your man all alone to deal with the Strutters from hell.

Journal of 2nd Lieutenant Robert Fergus Drummond
11 Squadron, Royal Air Force

Part 3

[Linked Image]
"We followed him over the lines and caught up just north of Bapaume..."

We had two days of rain, mist, and low scudding clouds that made it impossible to fly. The squadron has been thrashed about in the past week – I am one of the few new pilots to come through intact. We needed these couple of days to regroup. I was cheered to receive a letter from home, although somewhat less cheered that my father is still going on about my having held onto my tuition money. I have explained to him that it represents the only considerable reserve I have and told him that it is in my account at Cox & Co., where it will remain safe until I returned to Canada and take up university once again. Or perhaps prospecting or Arctic exploration…

Wade and I journeyed into Hesdin and did some idle shopping. We found a lovely little tearoom where the elderly matron served wonderful cream cakes. On our return I discovered it was my turn for an interview with Major Heath. He seems a decent sort and invited me to relax and have a smoke while we talked. He mentioned the incident of 8th inst. when my engine packed up and we were forced to land at La Bellevue. He said that the suspicion about me was normal under the circumstances but that he and the flight commanders were now absolutely sure that my explanation was valid. We discussed my experiences to date. I told him honestly that I felt we were unwise engaging much larger formations of Fokkers when we lacked height advantage. The Bristol is a fine machine but the Fokker is slightly better one on one, and decidedly better when we are outnumbered. The major acknowledged my point but stressed that the overall strategy for the air force was to carry the fight to the Hun. “It’s a matter of morale, you see,” he said. I shrugged my shoulders and observed that the site of Harrity’s machine shedding its wings while it fell in flames did not seen to have disheartened the Huns significantly.

The next day, 13 July 1918, we were dispatched far to the south beyond Amiens, where there had been reports of heavy enemy activity. We climbed above a low cloud layer into bright sunshine and began our patrol over the lines. Captain Hay, our leader, waggled his wings and turned east. After a minute I made out a cluster of black dots against the background of the rising sun. As we climbed to meet them, it became clear that we had encountered a flock of Albatros scouts. These were easier to turn with than Fokkers and we began an energetic scrap, circling, diving, and zooming all over the sky. I managed to put a burst just ahead of one Albatros that passed in front, and saw my rounds hit in several places along its fuselage. But just as I turned behind the Hun, little streams of phosphorescent smoke flashed past my head and two or three rounds hit our upper wing. Buckingham began firing his Lewis gun and I broke away to avoid remaining a target. I glanced behind and was dismayed to see that the fight had been joined by a second group of Huns mounted in Fokker biplanes! Not seeing any other Bristols in the neighbourhood, I decided it was time to leave the party and dived away westward toward the nearest bank of cloud.

We emerged over our lines south-east of Amiens and turned northwest. After a minute or two I headed north for the town of Doullens, my first landmark on the way home. We had just crossed over the River Somme when Buckingham slapped me on the shoulder and pointed behind. A single Fokker was chasing us. As I watched I could see that he had the quicker machine and was closing the distance between us. I continued northward until the Hun was within 500 yards, and then quickly turned about to meet his attack. I was unable to get my nose on him in the first pass, but Buckingham managed a good burst as he came overhead. Then the turning battle began – a losing proposition against a Fokker. But again Buckingham managed a good burst into the Hun’s wings during a turn and he broke off the fight, diving away to the east. There was no point in following; the enemy machine was too fast.

On landing, I was distressed to learn that Wade was missing. Moreover, A Flight had lost Lieutenant Shelby over Arras this morning.

The following morning, 14 July, we returned to the same sector south of the Somme for a line patrol. Once again we ran into a large group of Fokker biplanes. This lot were up for a scrap but were not as skilled as the previous day’s opponents. We drove them off after several minutes and retired northward, our machines shot about but every man present.

The squadron was still under strength as replacement Bristol merchants were a scarce item. On 15 July we pulled together two flights of five machines and headed for Arras around seven in the morning. The lead machines, those piloted by Beard and Smyth, took photographs of the German defences behind Vimy while the rest of us stood watch. A group of Fokkers approached from the south and we began an energetic dance about the sky. Although the Huns could outturn us, our gunners were able to aim their Lewis guns across the circles we carved in the sky. Buckingham did a splendid job. I picked out one EA, green with a red nose and a letter “L” on the side, and Buckingham managed to get a good crack it him as we turned about. The Hun dived away but was unable to outpace us because of the damage Buckingham had caused to his wings. We followed him over the lines and caught up just north of Bapaume, where I put a couple of long bursts into him from about seventy-five yards. The Hun crashed into a small copse and caught fire. I was elated and looked about the sky nervously, anxious to get home in one piece and report our success. Unfortunately, there were no other Bristols about when we did in the Hun, so I was not hopeful of a confirmation. HQ had become rather sticky about such things as late. For example, they were no longer rubber-stamping “out of control” claims as victories. But despite our lack of corroboration, we were delighted to learn just before lunch that one of our balloon companies had seen us chasing the Fokker and noted that the Hun crashed into a wood which soon after caught fire. Major Heath congratulated Buckingham and me on our first official victory. Celebration was muted, however, as the telephone in the squadron office remained silent. Buckminster, Yule, and Pollard, together with their observers, had failed to return from this morning’s flight. One Bristol, suspected to be Pollard’s, had been seen going down in flames. The fate of the others was unknown.

With the officers’ mess hollowed out and most of our remaining machines under repair, Wing stood the squadron down for the next two days.

Attached Files Kill 1.jpg
Last edited by Raine; 07/20/21 12:09 AM.
#4574871 - 07/20/21 07:50 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Carrick - That looked like an action packed first outing for Hercule. It's going to take a few sorties to get used to aiming the Breguet so at least he's still with us to carry on the learning curve. Not so for poor Louis.

Fullofit - It's time for Klaus to start flashing his.......PLM around when it comes to contested claims, would they have contested Boelcke's claims? I think not.

That fight with the two seaters again was a tough one. I counted four rat-a-tat-tats from that Breguet in the first instance, so with 2 guns that's 8 rounds and still he hit you enough to damage the controls. But then it all made sense when Klaus's wing crumpled, obviously the French gunners are firing mortar rounds. Well done getting down from there. A more rudimentary second outing even if it was probably a nervous one for the three of you....all you needed then was more Breguets and Strutters.

As for Kevin, yes the claim gods are with him at the moment compared to having three in ten confirmed a couple of weeks ago. The pendulum will swing once more I'm sure. Yes a big day, and what's more he's alive to take part in it.

Raine - Drummond is learning the ropes and can finally see some rewards for his efforts, but at what cost! It's all very well the CO saying to keep the aggressive tactics up to maintain morale, but now half the squadron is gone and they've had to curtail sorties for a couple of days, hardly a morale booster.

That's one thing I realised during my short stint as a Brisfit driver. They're considered 'fighters' and yet their flights only consist of three or four aircraft which is more in line with 'bomber' mentality. So you are always going to be outnumbered. If they really want you to act like fighters than the flights should resemble 'fighter' flights.....with seven or eight aircraft. Then if you have 'A' and 'B' flights up you've got sufficient numbers to stand a chance.

Page 321 of 366 1 2 319 320 321 322 323 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM