Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4569780 - 05/24/21 03:25 PM connection to flight members  
Loewenhardt Offline
Loewenhardt  Offline

I have tried a few missions in my first campaign and i have one problem: I am loosing the contact to my flightmembers very quickly, if i don´t keep my place in formation. When (as leader) i give the command "rejoin", i then get the answer "no flight members left". I understand, that they automatically choose another leader, when i am too far away, but it seems to me that the distance is very short to make that happen.
So for example when i am underway to my target area and i am a bit too fast or take a too quick turn, i loose control over the flight at once and my flightmembers go on to the target area alone without paying attention to me, even when i rejoin them. And even when the briefing said to control the area for 20 min, they return home instantly and i cant´t stop them. I catch them on their way back then sometimes, with an enemy following me above, but i cant´t make them fight, they don´t see the threat and follow their way home stubbornly.

In short, the ai members seem to have their own head and they dont´t stick to me as i am used to from other sims. Of course if it comes to combat, you can´t stay in formation, but this means everytime, that you can not call your wingman or your flight back, even when they are back in plain sight.

Am i doing something wrong? Most certainly....What are you doing to keep control over your flight? Thanks for any tips!

#4569860 - 05/25/21 08:54 AM Re: connection to flight members [Re: Loewenhardt]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

You need to turn with consideration, bank more gently etc so the flight can keep with you through the turn. If you bank away suddenly they cannot follow and will assume you are breaking off for another reason. Rejoin is used after a ground attack, and you are still leader. It does not work if you are no longer the leader - one of the other AI would be the leader then.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4574004 - 07/08/21 11:27 PM Re: connection to flight members [Re: Loewenhardt]  
Claymatzi Offline
Claymatzi  Offline

I love the game, its exactly what im looking for, but I feel I have more control over my wingmen in Flander Fields than i do with this game. Does the AI follow their leader? I dont see it. What happens if I’m Green1 and I see a target of opportunity, does my vic turn to the new target with me? If I order them to Attack will they engage? Friendly AI works better in WOFF. That said, being a wingman in the game is second-to-none. 😊

Last edited by Claymatzi; 07/09/21 03:15 PM.
#4574238 - 07/12/21 12:59 PM Re: connection to flight members [Re: Loewenhardt]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Glad you are enjoying it smile.

Yes the AI follow you IF you are the leader. To command them, use the TAC to target 1 enemy aircraft in a formation then press A, and they will attack that group. Same for ground objects.
You can sometimes just press A without TAC if you are close to enemies. TAC usage is covered in the WOTR FAQ document (found on the Support page of the website).

One thing don't bank around like a mad man if in formation then they will not follow you. Too severe changes and they may assign a new leader assuming you are breaking for home etc with damage or whatever.
This of course is much easier to do in a Spitfire than in an BE2c so gently does it in formation when turning etc.

If you are not the leader, they will not follow you.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4574438 - 07/15/21 05:37 AM Re: connection to flight members [Re: Polovski]  
Claymatzi Offline
Claymatzi  Offline

They most certainly do. I was expecting WOFF, and instead, I wasn't letting them catch up —as long as you're Squadron Leader/Leader/Red 1, they will follow. Perfect. Now, if only the Spitfire had a larger fuel tank... 😊

S!

Edit-Its quite a challenge to keep up with the AI’s prop pitch changes. They are quick to accelerate out of the turn. I've read that Spitfire pilots would stay in formation solely by using prop pitch. I'll try that next. 😊

Last edited by Claymatzi; 07/16/21 10:14 PM.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.