Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23
#4574153 - 07/11/21 12:51 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC *** [Re: WangoTango]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
I downloaded it from Steam and could never get it run ..they did give muymoney back though..which was decent of them

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4574206 - 07/11/21 11:08 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
Never played it on PC. Best console game I've ever played mind you.

#4574237 - 07/12/21 12:59 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm not sure what advantages PC has, aside from graphical ones. Is the update that added things like Photo Mode also available on console? Regardless, the experience is good either way I'm sure. I'm on PC, but I have a controller hooked up. I use it occasionally for some activities, such as fishing, or to be able to sit back and relax while playing poker. I play in first person, but have it set to switch to third-person when I mount a horse, then switch back when I get off of it.

I think that update also included new gang hideouts, weapons, treasure maps, trinkets, horses and bounty missions, but maybe it was shared across platforms? I have no idea.

My return to the game has been great, really enjoying it again. Taking a slightly different approach, broader and less down the narrative path. I've dropped 25 hours already and striking a good balance between missions and free roam, but weighted heavily to the free roam side. I've been gauging the suitability for folks wanting to do the off-grid thing, that is mostly ignoring the story and R* track. A player could do this as soon as chapter 2 starts really, but there are things he wouldn't be able to do until unlocking it through missions. One of the ones that seems important to a player who wants to free roam exclusively is fishing, and it takes a while to get that mission (Fisher of Men). So while this is possible, I think to really get the most out of a free roam run the player would still need to play missions for quite a while or his options would be a bit limited. I think the best thing to do again is to strike that balance, doing some of each, with the split decided by the player.

I'd say that playing through in to chapter 3 would probably be best to then start a free roam existence, but that's a lot of missions and would run counter to the spirit of the idea. So while I advised Blastman that it would fit his criteria, now I think if a player is really averse to doing missions RDR 2 maybe isn't so well suited, unless you're willing to get to the point where it is. The gameplay to this point is excellent, and it would be a shame to miss out on it for reasons like this I think, but to each his own, eh?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4574240 - 07/12/21 02:00 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
I'm not sure what advantages PC has, aside from graphical ones.

In my specific case, I don't own a console gaming system and I'm 99% sure I never will so if I ever do play RDR 2 it will be on the PC.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4574245 - 07/12/21 02:49 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Same here, I'll never own a console gaming system, never wanted one, plus of course I'm crap at using a hand controller!

#4574246 - 07/12/21 02:51 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I own two consoles, PS4 and X Box, but I don't use them aside from when my son challenges me to something or other, like a Rocket League match. He usually beats me since I become disoriented lol. I'm just as likely to score in the wrong goal.

Back to RDR 2, it's funny, but I made a comment in this thread two years ago that if I ever replay it I would get more gold missions, since I now knew what was expected, but no. I've done no better in that regard. If gold were tied more to how well, and not how fast, you did things, I might do better. But this game is meant for savoring, not devouring, so things don't get done at hyper pace. So my lot is silver I think smile

Someone commented a few days ago about how RDR 2 handles horses and yeah, that's spot on. I really enjoy that whole aspect of the game, and I have an absolutely gorgeous horse for this run. She's the horse owned by the mark from the Valentine bounty mission. I borrowed her to finish that one, and was so smitten I decided to keep her. I'll grab a good screen sooner or later and show her off. Before RDR 2, KCD was my standard for horses in video games, but I like it even more RDR. I feel even more of an attachment in this game, even though it's very well handled in both games.

#4574248 - 07/12/21 03:03 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Ah, horses. One mission I ended up with a completely beaten animal. I wanted to nurse it back to health, but it ran away one day. Also found a donkey once, but wasn't able to keep it (real pity, I wanted to go for that Grizzly Adams vibe :-))

Been a while since I finished RDR2, will do another playthrough later this year. I know that once I start, it will be hard to draw me away from it.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4574258 - 07/12/21 04:31 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
I like taking my time in the first couple chapters, it's just unfortunate the southwestern part of the map is, in practice, blocked off to you.

And I'm with DBond and hating most of the gang. They're mostly insufferable. Some are OK, the only ones consistently doing work are Kieran and Pearce and they're hated by the rest of the gang.

#4574265 - 07/12/21 04:49 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Right on wormfood, bunch of freeloaders and malcontents. Having made that post a couple days ago I've been checking the camp ledger everyday to see who is actually "earning their keep", with Dutch van der Lynde nowhere to be seen. One of the guys put in $4.51 though, which is a fair bit. I've dropped several hundred already and at least 15 carcasses for the camp stew. Paid for the leather tools out of pocket. Arthur should be leading this lot, if you ask me. Give Dutch up to the Pinkertons in exchange for clemency and leaving us alone, make Arthur king of this anarcho-syndicalist commune. Then we can take turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.

You don't vote for Kings!

#4574299 - 07/13/21 09:00 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Did they add extra gangs in the console version or are you speaking of online mode? Apparently they added more gangs and even storied characters online which is a disappointment to me as I don't play online. Why would they not add that content as a single player experience to add to the game of customers who only want SP DLC? Also on console at some point they put in an update that among other things disabled ambient occlusion which has a significant impact on the graphics rendering. I don't know if they ever added the option back in(I don't think so)but that was a terrible thing for them to just do by fiat and in a way where they seemed to think no one would notice. I can't get it on PC now but if I do go back to it on PS4 I'll need to disable the internet so that the PS4 doesn't download and install that patch.

I still wish they'd put the original on PC. I would rather have that than a remake in the new engine. I also wish they'd make a good old fashion single player expansion and add more territory, story and gang and bounty hunter missions.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4574313 - 07/13/21 01:44 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I think the answer is in GTA. As is well known, GTA 5 is the most successful entertainment venture ever, including films and everything else. RDR is going to follow the same path, and I can't really blame R*. For GTA they added no DLC or additional content at all for single player. All of their updates have been for Online. And I reckon RDR will follow the same.

I agree that some additions would be great, but I have no reason to think it will happen with RDR 2.

As for my new run, I'm at the off grid point now, halfway through chapter 2. I did the mission with the kid and have a fishing rod, and went down to Lagras or whatever it is called to get the special lures. Going to spend some time tracking down the legendary fish and animals, took the coyote yesterday. Stopped off at a general store to top off my provisions and am heading up in to the mountains for a spell. Did you know that you lose honor if you have been away from camp for more than three days? I returned and saw the honor hit as I came in to camp and didn't know what had caused it. Now I know.

#4574322 - 07/13/21 04:06 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Yes, then they #%&*$# at you for not feeding them and that everyone is doing their part except you. When you go check the ledger, it's usually empty. So, I disappear for another 3 days. Catch and release a few fish, or just say hi to everyone as you ride through town, and it'll balance out the honor hit.

And for the story Rhodes between the Grays and Braithwaites and something I didn't find in an earlier playthrough:
Along the coast, North of St Denis you can find a old letter between the families where some of them, sick of the feuding, conspired to steal the gold. So that whole time you're looking for it, there isn't any. Of course, finding this doesn't give you any story changes or dialog options whatsoever.

#4574329 - 07/13/21 04:51 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, we're on the same page with this. Today Grimshaw came up to me and b!tched at me for lounging about and I had just done the following

-- Returned from a three-day hunt with a whitetail, a couple turkeys and some other small game, pelts all of which went in to the pot
-- Contributed $50 cold cash plus another $15 in valuables
-- Fed the horses (moving the hay in camp)
-- Split some wood
-- Carried sacks over to Pearson
-- Took the boy fishing
-- Completed two camp item requests

So yeah, quite the lay-about aren't I? Stuff it old woman.

I've been checking the ledger and some are earning their keep. Kieran is motivated to stay alive so keeps working. Charles, javier, Hosea. These guys are good ones and pull for the group. But I'd just as soon shoot Grimshaw, Uncle, Micah, or the Reverend, and if Dutch happened to be in the line of fire oh well. Aside from Grimshaw the women-folk get a pass.

#4574368 - 07/14/21 10:26 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
You sound like you play how I did DBond when it came to camp involvement. The game sets your character up as needing to do these things plus its fun scrounging around for things to chip in. To me it felt a little like Oliver Twist and disappearing for a day and then returning with your loot and trinkets to give Fagin.

I was always dumping in some dollars(which are hard to come by especially early on)along with pocket watches and other things. Then I'd look in the ledger and chuckle at what Marston or others had offered up. Plus I'd do a lot of those camp duties too for the fun of role playing. That being said I always saw Marston chopping wood and the cook at his station. I think I caught Bill Williamson steeling from the coffers once.

Last edited by Coot; 07/14/21 10:26 AM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4574377 - 07/14/21 11:20 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
If I play this again I'll refuse to pay anything in and see what happens... anyone given that a try yet?

#4574381 - 07/14/21 12:23 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I haven't and not sure I would, since I want to improve the satchel, and for that you need the leather tools, which requires camp funds. You could get there eventually just on NPC contributions I reckon, but it would take a while. So I just paid for them straight out of pocket.

But it might be funny to hear what the others say to the player if he never dropped a dime. Just yesterday Dutch came up to me saying how others are talking and that I'm not in with the gang as I haven't been doing my part. Yeah, well what about you Dutch, what have you done? Yeah, nuthin', that's right. Shut yer pie hole.

And that's because I had just returned from another days-long hunting and fishing trip. This time I headed east, to reveal Annesberg and Van Horn. I caught the legendary muskie and perch. In my first run it took a long time before I came this far east, and hadn't even realized there were towns here. I had to catch the muskie twice. It's in a location that's not great for fishing on foot, next to Van Horn lighthouse. So took a dip and stood on some rocks a little further out. When I caught the monster (36 pounds!) I went to return to my horse but the water was too deep to walk, and when I started swimming I dropped the fish, which floated. I tried pushing it with my swimming body, but there's no collision detection and in a few minutes it sank out of sight! Son of a beach!

So I had to catch it a second time from a more accessible spot. Caught the pickerel a couple days before so that's three legendary fish so far. Then I decided to get the buck antler trinket which is key for pelt quality in order to get what you need to improve the satchel. So that meant trekking across the map to Big Valley in West Elizabeth. Lots of bears around here. Took a day or two but I tracked the buck down then back across the map to Emerald Ranch to get the trinket made.

That's how I'm playing. Spend a week or so doing free roam, fishing, hunting, exploring, engaging bandit camps and that sort of thing. Then a mission, like breaking Micah out of the jail in Strawberry (got a $300 bounty for that one, ouch!), then back to free roam for a while. It's a nice balance and a good pace.

#4574390 - 07/14/21 02:54 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Sometimes when you drop something in the water you can lasso it and pull it towards you. It's inconsistent, but is always worth a shot when trying to recover a pelt or item.

#4574394 - 07/14/21 03:24 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I did not consider lassoing it. Good one. Of course it had no collision detection, so not sure if it would work, but if it happens again I have a plan B now smile

I hope to take all the legendary fish and animals, so I could find myself in a similar bind again down the line.

Going after the smallie next. It's close to where the buck was taken, and I had planned to get them both on that expedition, but you can't pack them both on the horse and anyway I was covered in mud and blood so decided to head for civilization to clean up and get that trinket made for pelt preservation.

Are random encounter items persistent? When I was coming back down the trail with the legendary buck on my horse I heard the sound of a sledgehammer striking metal up the hillside from the trail. I decided to see what it was and as I came closer I could see it was a pair of fools trying to open a safe. Well, my presence led to gunshots and two dead sledgehammerers and a locked safe with no way to open it. Shotguns do not work, I can confirm. So while I was at the fence for the trinket I bought a couple sticks of dynamite. Is there a chance that safe is still sitting there? It's a long trek back up in to the mountains and I'm not exactly sure where it was...

I doubt it is, but if I am heading back up there for the smallmouth maybe I'll see if I can find it.

#4574399 - 07/14/21 03:49 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
I'm not sure on that safe. Things seem to stick around in the game for days provided you don't quit or skip time. At t his point, I'd say it's gone.

#4574453 - 07/15/21 01:48 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, I doubt it's there and so I'll save my dynamite for the next one I come across.

Smallmouth was not next, I went down to the bayou and took the gar. 41 pounds he was. That was an epic fight. Sent him off in the post.

Just call me fish mail

That line never got the traction I think it deserves haha biggrin

Took another mission, this one with the recently broken out of jail Micah (where we shot up Strawberry and I think killed half the townsfolk), and we hit a stagecoach. Good haul of $1200 out of the lock box. $600 for the camp, with Micah and I splitting the other half. $300 is a nice cut and I spent it on two new Schofield revolvers and a number of modifications to my newly acquired Lancaster repeater, which you get in the stagecoach mission.

Those are end game weapons for me, so these get upgraded and customized, while the others go in the trunk at camp.

But I wonder what happened to the $600 for camp. It isn't in the till when you return to camp. I think Dutch pocketed it.

I'm really dragging out chapter 2. Fact is, Horseshoe Overlook is the best camp location from a free-roam point of view, so I'm making it last. The only yellow marker left is the one to go see old flame Mary Linton. Doing that one might send me to chapter 3, don't know. Going to put that off a spell, I reckon. Tally stands at two legendary animals and four fish. Turns out I had only landed three fish first run, as I struggled to come to terms with fighting the biggest fish. This time 'round I seem to have got it, and can land these big ones with mouse and keyboard, so I'll keep going and try to get them all.

Even two years later RDR 2 still blows me away with its striking beauty, the game world is stunning.

Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.