Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4574253 - 07/12/21 04:12 PM Re: I don't know what this is. Where do I get one? [Re: Trooper117]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by Trooper117
Well obviously gun nuts would say that, but there is no reason for a civilian to own that type of military firearm, not in a million years... I used to be in Recce and sniper platoon, and I certainly would not want to own that weapon, I'd have no reason to use one in civilian life. As was stated above, unless you were going to commit murder at great range, I'd say it's a good idea to keep it out of civilian hands.

It's a bolt action rifle dude.

Do you think civilians should be restricted to these?

[Linked Image]

Oh wait!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4574255 - 07/12/21 04:16 PM Re: I don't know what this is. Where do I get one? [Re: Trooper117]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
]I used to be in Recce and sniper platoon, and I certainly would not want to own that weapon, I'd have no reason to use one in civilian life. As was stated above, unless you were going to commit murder at great range, I'd say it's a good idea to keep it out of civilian hands.

Liberty is not about needing a reason to own something, but instead defined by, "because we can."

#4574264 - 07/12/21 04:45 PM Re: I don't know what this is. Where do I get one? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
PWEC in 4....3...2.....1

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4574273 - 07/12/21 05:56 PM Re: I don't know what this is. Where do I get one? [Re: Crane Hunter]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
Well obviously gun nuts would say that, but there is no reason for a civilian to own that type of military firearm, not in a million years... I used to be in Recce and sniper platoon, and I certainly would not want to own that weapon, I'd have no reason to use one in civilian life. As was stated above, unless you were going to commit murder at great range, I'd say it's a good idea to keep it out of civilian hands.

It's a bolt action rifle dude.

Do you think civilians should be restricted to these?

[Linked Image]

Oh wait!

My Dad had a black powder rifle when I was a kid. Fun to shoot.

#4574288 - 07/12/21 09:21 PM Re: I don't know what this is. Where do I get one? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Long range, precision rifle competition is a thing here in the U.S. Plus there are people who try to set new records for hitting steel plates at ever longer distances. So, there are non-violent uses in the U.S., for such a platform. Add in people who like to collect such things, and a healthy dose of some folks just want one... and you get a market for such things. That's not even getting into the reason we have the 2nd Amendment, which is best left for PWEC.

#4574292 - 07/12/21 11:03 PM Re: I don't know what this is. Where do I get one? [Re: Trooper117]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME

What makes it unsuitable for me to own? Tell me a single inherent difference between it and a Remington 700. It’s all about the appearance, isn’t it?

[Linked Image]

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4574295 - 07/13/21 02:18 AM Re: I don't know what this is. Where do I get one? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

The problem with gun violence is that its mostly small caliber handguns. It does happen on occasion a long gun is used but not the weapon of choice.or very often. According to the Department of Justice web site most guns used in crimes/ homicides are handguns. The Admin and News channels point to Assault guns which are dangerous weapons as the culprits,but the D.O.J and crime stats show different . In my opinion, Its all about control . Happy shooting !

Attached Files buns-n-gunsthe-best-of-2018-countdown-continues-14.gifBad-Idea-GIF-03_16_18-14-gun-funny-copy.gif6c6d478ee8e6f27480ec9a1170292a66.jpg
#4574330 - 07/13/21 04:57 PM Re: I don't know what this is. Where do I get one? [Re: Trooper117]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by Zamzow
Unless you are in the army or marines why on earth would you even want a weapon like that?

For the challenge? And it's not exactly a good gun for committing crime (with the obvious exception of murder at a distance), so I'm not sure why this question would even be asked here...

Then it might surprise you to learn that I've never owned a gun and have no plans to...

Oh I've shot a few (starting at age 10), and had decent fun with that, even worked a temp summer job at a shooting range once, but shooting never interested me enough to start spending money on it.

HUNTING could have interested me in my younger years, but back then if I had the money to get into it I certainly didn't have the time - and if I had the time I didn't have the money... (a lot of travel would have been required from where I lived)

#4574343 - 07/13/21 10:53 PM Re: I don't know what this is. Where do I get one? [Re: NH2112]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by NH2112

What makes it unsuitable for me to own? Tell me a single inherent difference between it and a Remington 700. It’s all about the appearance, isn’t it?

ill take my chance against you with a "hunting rifle"rather you with an AR for sure., and i have been on the end barrel of the later.

#4574347 - 07/13/21 11:24 PM Re: I don't know what this is. Where do I get one? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
That “hunting rifle” was carried by millions of Commonwealth troops through WW2, Korea, and beyond. I wouldn’t feel outgunned carrying one against someone armed with an AR, with very little practice anyone can take 20 aimed shots per minute and make 20 hits, and that’s including reload time (the magazine holds 10 rounds.)

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4575075 - 07/22/21 06:11 AM Re: I don't know what this is. Where do I get one? [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaser_R93_Tactical

They're discontinued and fairly rare, but there are lots of similar looking sniping rifles available these days.

I've fired one before, the bolt is really nice.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4575076 - 07/22/21 06:12 AM Re: I don't know what this is. Where do I get one? [Re: NH2112]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted by NH2112
That “hunting rifle” was carried by millions of Commonwealth troops through WW2, Korea, and beyond. I wouldn’t feel outgunned carrying one against someone armed with an AR, with very little practice anyone can take 20 aimed shots per minute and make 20 hits, and that’s including reload time (the magazine holds 10 rounds.)

With as common as body armour has gotten, I'd rather have a bigger round than the 5.56.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.