Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4573754 - 07/05/21 09:04 PM Far Cry 6  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er

I love the setting but the rest of the game looks super cheesy, I'm surprised this franchise has remained so popular

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4573781 - 07/06/21 03:02 AM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
I'm surprised this franchise has remained so popular

It's the way the cooperative play is implemented. It's a ton of fun and I personally would have dumped the FC franchise a long time ago if it wasn't for the coop mode.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4573893 - 07/07/21 12:46 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've nearly picked up FC5 several times over the past year but always pass. Not sure why really. This has been a good series, and I'll give FC6 a look.

Far Cry was awesome. It had by far the most convincing water I'd seen to that point. It was also the first game I remember that allowed the player to hide in tall grass or bushes. Maybe now the game would seem quaint, but back then it was a big move forward for me.

Far Cry 2 was also good, but it didn't grab me in the same way. That respawning checkpoint stuff was repetitive and in the end I put less time in to it. The spreading fire thing was really cool at that time, I don't think we had seen this before.

Far Cry 3 is the one I've played the most. Really enjoyed this one and Vaas is one of my top antagonists ever in video games. He had great dialog. Such a cool character.

Far Cry 4 I liked too, but maybe the formula was getting a little stale? I played it a lot but not like FC3. I really liked flying around in that whirlybird contraption.

Far Cry 5 I never bought. Not sure why really, maybe a sense of diminishing returns? But it keeps coming up in Steam sales, so maybe at some point I'll give it a go.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4573901 - 07/07/21 04:52 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Also, Far Cry (the first one) had both amazing detail and a huge draw distance which was usually one or the other (and sometimes none) in those days.

#4573906 - 07/07/21 05:41 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah good point wormfood, it was the first CryEngine game if I recall, and that brought those abilities to render the gameworld like it was. And I won't say it was the first of the type, but it was the first I played where you could swap between feet, vehicles, boats, jetskis and the like freely. Far Cry was an innovative game at the time. But again I don't play every game so maybe it wasn't. But it felt like it.

#4573922 - 07/07/21 09:46 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Feels like Far Cry was the first to do that, but then I remember Operation Flashpoint and BF1942 came out before it and they had big maps with vehicles. Far Cry did blow them both out of the water with it's lighting, water, detail, while still retaining that draw distance and vehicles.

#4573939 - 07/08/21 10:39 AM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
The original Far Cry was a significant leap in innovation for the FPS genre and if I recall correctly, it was Far Cry 3 which really started the trend of first person shooters having the crafting mechanic as well as the "take over the control point to reveal an area of the map" feature. Plus the story in FC 3 was pretty darn good with a very memorable villain.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 07/08/21 10:40 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4573947 - 07/08/21 12:10 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Wormfood, you're right, those games were out first, and I played them. So I stand corrected.

Agreed PM, Vaas was a good one.

Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? smile

#4581403 - 09/29/21 03:29 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I just pre-ordered the game. My instinct tells me this will be a worthy successor to FC 5.

#4582229 - 10/08/21 03:09 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
How is it? Is it an Epic exclusive?

#4582237 - 10/08/21 04:23 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
How is it? Is it an Epic exclusive?

Sort of. It's available only on Uplay and Epic. It's not on Steam.

I haven't started the game yet. I'll be doing that tonight.

#4582245 - 10/08/21 05:43 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, no. Those platforms have both been banned in my house.

Well nothing wrong with Epic I guess, but these exclusives only serve to dampen my enthusiasm. I find it hard to believe this model improves sales in any way. Epic must fork over a big pile of cash for these. Is that how it works?

Or does Ubi just make more money this way since Epic takes a smaller cut than Steam?

I don't think the numbers crunchers factor in the enthusiasm gap this creates in a segment of the market. That can't be measured. How do you count the sales you never got, and the reasons you never got them? Maybe the number of people that want to buy it at release, but then never do because of the exclusive is low? Are those people that wait, largely buying it once it hits other platforms? Who knows.

Is there a 'screw Steam' component here?

I've bought three games on Epic. RDR2, Metro Exodus and Borderlands 3. Those were all games I was excited for, so I bit the bullet and paid Epic for them. But eventually I bough them all on Steam too, usually at a discount from release-day pricing. After BL3 I thought, well it doesn't make sense to buy them twice, so I stopped using Epic. Because I think Steam is great, and that's where I want my games.

Hitman 3 is another one that's only on Epic and this time I passed. Not sure I would have bought Far Cry 6, might still do once it hits Steam. But if I do it will be at a much lower price than Ubisoft could have sold it to me now. And maybe by that time the word is the game is mediocre, or I've moved on, and there's no sale from me at all. They missed the chance to capitalize on my enthusiasm, which became tempered by reports of how the game actually is. Producing fantastic games is sort of a fail-safe here. But will FC6 prove to be fantastic? A can't-miss title? I doubt it. It may be a good game, and probably is if they haven't ruined it with social justice themes and messaging. But I think it's a stretch that it will be a must-buy at this point in the series.

#4582246 - 10/08/21 05:49 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

I find it hard to believe this model improves sales in any way. Epic must fork over a big pile of cash for these. Is that how it works?

Or does Ubi just make more money this way since Epic takes a smaller cut than Steam?

Good questions and I can explain it to some extent.

From the developer's perspective, it's a win-win for them because not only does EPIC take a smaller percentage cut for each copy sold compared to Steam, the developer also gets a very significant amount of money upfront for any "exclusive" deals.

From EPIC's perspective, they are desperately trying to compete with Steam and the best way to do that is content. Content is king so they are willing to pay upfront money for exclusive deals for games they think will be hot items.

#4582248 - 10/08/21 05:55 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
If Epic is indeed forking over pallets of cash for the privilege then yeah I get it. But I don't like it smile

#4582249 - 10/08/21 05:58 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
If Epic is indeed forking over pallets of cash for the privilege then yeah I get it. But I don't like it smile

The massive commercial success of Fortnite is what largely supports EPIC. It's essentially a money printing press right now. When the popularity of Fortnite eventually wanes though I'm sure the overly-generous "exclusive" deals will be changed.

edit: Some info I just grabbed from the Wiki page for Fortnite:

"Revenue from Fortnite Battle Royale during the first half of 2018 had been estimated in the hundreds of millions of dollars per month,[24][25] with total 2018 revenue estimated at $2.4 billion by analysis firm SuperData Research.[26] Total revenue for Fortnite reached more than $9 billion by the end of 2019."

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/08/21 06:01 PM.

#4582251 - 10/08/21 06:05 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Insanity! But yeah, my household has contributed a substantial sum of that amount. My son plays it and does spend money on the transactions. Gotta have it dad!

I can't watch him play more than 30 seconds before I have to leave the room. Just constantly rolling through his weapons and bunny hopping. I become disoriented and must leave smile

#4582257 - 10/08/21 06:37 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
I don't know about Epic, but you can pick it up on the Ubisoft launcher.

#4582258 - 10/08/21 06:42 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: wormfood]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by wormfood
I don't know about Epic, but you can pick it up on the Ubisoft launcher.

Dbond already mentioned his dislike for Uplay but on my end I've never had any problems with it. It's a pretty unobtrusive game distribution client in my opinion. I've also not had any issues with Origin which I had to install to play Jedi: Fallen Order and Mass Effect Andromeda.

#4582262 - 10/08/21 07:04 PM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, I no longer do EA, Origin or Ubi.

And Epic, I guess.

#4582431 - 10/12/21 10:40 AM Re: Far Cry 6 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I've put in about 6 hours into FC 6 so far and I like it. The story is pretty interesting and oh just for the record, the fictional country of "YARA" is in fact very obviously CUBA. I could immediately tell by the Spanish accent used by the voice actors as well as certain words that are really only used by Cubans.

As far as the gameplay goes, it's essentially the same as FC 5 with the addition of a couple of minor additions like a backpack which can carry different weapons mods and loadouts.

My recommendation is to get this if you are going to play it in coop mode but pass on it for single player mode.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.