#4573015 - 06/28/21 01:05 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG
My 1.5 year-old cheap ($230.00) Lenovo IdeaPad L340 laptop still checks out (Core i3 / 8th Gen CPU), but I won't be upgrading. .

It's my understanding that you only play old legacy games so that definitely makes it much easier to put off hardware upgrades.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4573023 - 06/28/21 02:23 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: Chucky]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Windows 11 is due out this year, but the free update for Windows 10 arrives in 2022

We are still learning new bits of info about Windows 11, and that will likely be the case right up until it begins rolling out to PCs in a few months.

[When W11 is first released] There will still be the option to perform a clean install, and presuming you own a valid Windows 10 license, the same key should activate Windows 11.

If you are not wanting to perform a clean install [i.e. you merely want to "update" your existing W10 install], however, you will have to wait a little bit longer.

[Microsoft comment] " Windows 11 is due out later in 2021 and will be delivered over several months. The rollout of the upgrade to Windows 10 devices already in use today will begin in 2022 through the first half of that year."

So, the W11 news (positive and negative) may not affect a lot of us until "next year".

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4573026 - 06/28/21 02:51 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: Chucky]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Hi Allen.

I liked that little image you linked where it says "customers can get permission from Microsoft to build a system without TPM." What if they refuse?

This Win 11 thing should be a vehicle for an anti-trust action IMO.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4573027 - 06/28/21 02:57 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: Nixer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Nixer

This Win 11 thing should be a vehicle for an anti-trust action IMO.

I'm no expert on US corporate law but my educated guess is that the anti-trust action would be shot down with an argument that consumers can just as easily get other operating systems like iOS and Linux.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4573030 - 06/28/21 03:06 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: Chucky]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I don't care for MS including Teams as part of Win11. Like with Edge, this will only add to post-XP bloat for me. I bet the Zoom guys are concerned.

Also, I will never invest a considerable amount of time learning and using a software that doesn't run on Windows 2000. Although I've finally retired Win2K for a highly-tuned minimal-service offline XP SP2 (which really flies), Win2K was the last of the NT-based Windows which doesn't require any type of online activation or confirmation.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4573031 - 06/28/21 03:08 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: Chucky]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Neither of which support any of the software required at school for me, and millions like me. There are some semi-functional workarounds for Mac's, but not 100% and students complain about it all the time.

edit was answering Panzer.

Marks too quick. exitstageleft

Last edited by Nixer; 06/28/21 03:10 PM. Reason: More stuff

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4573033 - 06/28/21 03:25 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: Allen]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted by Allen

So, the W11 news (positive and negative) may not affect a lot of us until "next year".

We are in the early stages of misinformation/confusion,not helped by M$ themselves.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4573034 - 06/28/21 03:49 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: Chucky]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Ok, it's obvious now what this is all about...

Remember when MS said that Win10 was the last numbered version? We don't *need* a Win11, all that stuff could be patched into Win10.

But now MS needs a new version to integrate Teams into Windows to kill Zoom, made popular during Covid. Patching in this integration would be too obvious, so they're patching Win10 into a self-contained version w/Teams integration and calling it Win11. Some competitive Microsoft déjà vu going on here. smile

The sun is in the east
#4573035 - 06/28/21 04:06 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

But now MS needs a new version to integrate Teams into Windows to kill Zoom, made popular during Covid. Patching in this integration would be too obvious, so they're patching Win10 into a self-contained version w/Teams integration and calling it Win11. Some competitive Microsoft déjà vu going on here. smile

I could definitely buy this as a possibility but I think the bigger possibility is MS share holders complaining about when will the next product cycle be. MS already dumped the Windows Phone and the Surface was a commercial flop so that just leaves making a new OS.

#4573037 - 06/28/21 04:09 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
If all PC games ran on Linux I would have dumped Windows a long time ago.

is linux safe for.you know what browsing ? can linux run emulator of consoles ? can linux be installed without needing SO MANY FREAKING parts ? every time i see a simple guide to linux i barf, because yeah the instalation is easy, but then you need to get a bunch of whatever they are called elsewhere and install this way.......no thanks, keep profiting from my data microsoft, thanks very much.

#4573039 - 06/28/21 04:12 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: MarkG]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
I don't care for MS including Teams as part of Win11. Like with Edge, this will only add to post-XP bloat for me. I bet the Zoom guys are concerned.

Also, I will never invest a considerable amount of time learning and using a software that doesn't run on Windows 2000. Although I've finally retired Win2K for a highly-tuned minimal-service offline XP SP2 (which really flies), Win2K was the last of the NT-based Windows which doesn't require any type of online activation or confirmation.

i honestly think that anti trust is BS, does ms hamper any way of you installing a competitor ? no, then they can bundle their product that as far as i know are FREE, as they see fit,if the consumer doesnt like it, he can uninstall it and install a competition, what was IE used if not a getway drug for better browsers ?

#4573041 - 06/28/21 04:19 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
i honestly think that anti trust is BS, does ms hamper any way of you installing a competitor ? no, then they can bundle their product that as far as i know are FREE, as they see fit,if the consumer doesnt like it, he can uninstall it and install a competition, what was IE used if not a getway drug for better browsers ?

Nah, you can't uninstall something that's integrated. Occasionally Edge will open on me although my default browser is Firefox. So bloat + inconvenience.

The sun is in the east
#4573045 - 06/28/21 04:27 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: MarkG]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil

Nah, you can't uninstall something that's integrated. Occasionally Edge will open on me although my default browser is Firefox. So bloat + inconvenience.

serch apps & features, select the Microsoft Edge ,Uninstall ooooooohhh

Last edited by Blade_RJ; 06/28/21 04:29 PM.
#4573048 - 06/28/21 04:52 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou

serch apps & features, select the Microsoft Edge ,Uninstall ooooooohhh

Only tried with Control Panel, doesn't work (maybe they should remove Control Panel if it doesn't work correctly?). Maybe now you can uninstall the new Chromium version? I've lost track.

This is what I remember the last time I looked into it...
Why won't you let us uninstall the new version of edge?

But I guess it can be done now if you put the time into it, but not so simple (will come back to this)...
How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in 2021: Harder Than You’d Think

The sun is in the east
#4573052 - 06/28/21 05:46 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: Chucky]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
OT side notes…

If I cared about Win10 like I do Win2K and WinXP, I’d have books on how to streamline and modify the crap out of it using the Registry, various administrative tools and the command line, like I do with those older Windows. It’s just not on my radar right now.

++++++++++

I may be a few years behind by sticking with WinXP (my Win10 laptop is just for wasting time online) but it never changes on me, is always predictable (and predictably fast as hell) as is the production software I rely on. Year after year, now decades later, I can sit down behind my WinXP desktop workstation to get something done and know *exactly* what I'm getting. Unless there’s some newer feature that I really wish I had (rarely happens), change is never good for production, and is often a hindrance because production-focused software (vs. keeping you connected online, getting your info/money, dazzling you with new pretty bling) is a relic of the past.

Even Win10 SUCKS compared to WinXP for production, like when dealing with numerous files (i.e. automatically jumping order on file renaming with no option to disable, vertical ("side by side") tiled File Explorer Windows won't display correctly after several seconds of starting Windows). Important stuff that STILL hasn't been fixed with Win10, dating back to Win7, IIRC (but not broken in XP).

++++++++++

EDIT: Copied problem I wrote about on another thread (will try again now to see if it's been fixed recently)...

==========
Minimize your browser and anything else you have open, then open two File Explorer Windows. Choose "Show windows side by side" (same as Win2k/XP's "...vertical...") from the taskbar. Your screen should fill with two equal file explorer windows (except that Win10 puts an ugly gap between the windows). If they don't fill the screen, reboot. This command seems to work for about 5 min. after a reboot, then no longer functions properly.
==========

Last edited by MarkG; 06/28/21 06:28 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4573057 - 06/28/21 06:11 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: Chucky]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
^ Just tried again on my up-to-date system, still broken...
Show Windows Side by Side is BROKEN win Windows 10

But who cares if you're just browsing and watching YT videos. Windows 10 is pathetic. frown

The sun is in the east
#4573059 - 06/28/21 06:14 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

But who cares if you're just browsing and watching YT videos. Windows 10 is pathetic. frown

If you're not playing modern games then WIN 10 isn't really necessary in my opinion. So no worries. smile

#4573061 - 06/28/21 06:25 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

If you're not playing modern games then WIN 10 isn't really necessary in my opinion. So no worries. smile

My old-school thinking is that a PC is a production tool...which can also play games. smile They really need to fix these problems which make working with a large number of files very difficult. Again, if I truly embraced Win10, I might spend the time to try finding unofficial ways to fix these issues, or would most likely purchase a 3rd-party File Explorer that actually works properly.

The sun is in the east
#4573078 - 06/28/21 09:18 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: Chucky]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
People upset that the Health Check App we've used the last couple days causes confusion and hopelessness. smile

Microsoft takes action biggrin

Microsoft temporarily removes Windows 11 Health Check app - will be back before the public release this fall

"The intention of today’s post is to acknowledge and clarify the confusion caused by our PC Health Check tool, share more details as to why we updated the system requirements for Windows 11 and set the path for how we will learn and adjust," Microsoft writes in today's blog post.

As many have noted: Its not over or settled yet.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4573086 - 06/28/21 11:01 PM Re: Can you run Win 11? [Re: Chucky]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Follow-up on Edge uninstall...

"Microsoft Edge is the web browser recommended by Microsoft and is the default web browser for Windows. Because Windows supports applications that rely on the web platform, our default web browser is an essential component of our operating system and can’t be uninstalled."
Why can't I uninstall Microsoft Edge?

++++++++++

Another interesting requirement as of January 1, 2023...
Windows 11 to require laptops to have high-quality webcams

Confirmed on many websites. Hmm... popcorn

The sun is in the east
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.