Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4572982 - 06/28/21 05:28 AM Journalism fail - Parachute accident  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
What pitiful writing. I’ve read this a couple times and am appalled with the writing. Can’t figure out what is being said other than two men were killed in a tandem parachute jump.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3167368/skydivers-dead-tandem-jump-australia/

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4572986 - 06/28/21 07:35 AM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
MadMike Offline
MadMike  Offline

It reads as if they're talking to a small child with short, simple sentences. IMO it's an artifact of The Sun being a tabloid - it has to cater to the lowest common denominator in its audience.

That said, it's The Sun, what did you expect smile?

BTW, since you're an admin: you might want to disable this account here, it's credentials are available on bugmenot.com: http://bugmenot.com/view/simhq.com

Last edited by MadMike; 06/28/21 07:37 AM.
#4572989 - 06/28/21 09:17 AM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
It's the Sun. If you want non-awful writing, look elsewhere.

#4572990 - 06/28/21 09:44 AM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
The Sun, nuff said!

#4572992 - 06/28/21 10:19 AM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
The Sun is where you go when the Daily Mail is just too high-falutin' biggrin

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4572993 - 06/28/21 10:29 AM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Journalism fail? There's PLENTY of that to go around but then again, the news media complex is doling out what the masses want so that must mean the masses are just blathering idiots.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4572995 - 06/28/21 11:08 AM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
The average reading age of the human species is around 9. Papers like the Sun cater for readers of below average reading age. They are written for a reading age of around 8. If they weren't they wouldn't sell any papers.

https://guerrillaworking.com/2019/05/06/the-average-reading-age-is/

https://www.see-a-voice.org/marketing-ad/effective-communication/readability/

https://literacytrust.org.uk/inform...glands-literacy-compare-other-countries/

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4572998 - 06/28/21 11:44 AM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
What I find really annoying is the repetition in the reporting. You have the main description in the top picture which is then repeated at the beginning of the paragraph. I've also seen it for a third time in the actual article. Quite honestly I find modern journalism to be of a very poor standard. Local on-line news is probably the worst.

The repetition thing also plagues TV programmes. Always repeats what happened previously after the commercial break. banghead I'm glad I don't have to suffer the TV too often.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4572999 - 06/28/21 11:50 AM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: Chucky]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Chucky
What I find really annoying is the repetition in the reporting. You have the main description in the top picture which is then repeated at the beginning of the paragraph. I've also seen it for a third time in the actual article. Quite honestly I find modern journalism to be of a very poor standard. Local on-line news is probably the worst.

The repetition thing also plagues TV programmes. Always repeats what happened previously after the commercial break. banghead I'm glad I don't have to suffer the TV too often.

I can only speak for my country but the vast majority of US journalists are now either social justice warriors and/or entertainers. That's the fundamental problem.

If you want to be informed and educated then you need to dig and do your research if you want to find a decent news source.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4573002 - 06/28/21 12:10 PM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
The repetition thing also plagues TV programmes. Always repeats what happened previously after the commercial break.

That is is because people have a very short memory, even if the break is only for a couple of minutes.

What I don't like is the sensationalism required for TV ratings, CNN, for example.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4573007 - 06/28/21 12:28 PM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK

What I don't like is the sensationalism required for TV ratings, CNN, for example.

The masses want to be entertained as if they are watching a circus or a really bad car wreck.

The Romans got it absolutely right more than 2,000 years ago.

#4573009 - 06/28/21 12:34 PM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Probably many causes for the general downtrend in journalistic quality, 24/7 news means that highly repetitive looping of already padded out content is now practically a basic feature of news. Gone are the days where you got your news at regular times for x minutes (barring news flashes) and for some countries the requirement for neutrality in tone is also removed. So yeah, it's now highly repetitive, lowest common denominator and opinioned, cherry picked and partisan. Hey now that I write it, it follows children channels pattern of behaviour biggrin

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4573012 - 06/28/21 12:44 PM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Excellent post DM.

#4573014 - 06/28/21 01:05 PM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
What I found so bad was the inaccuracies. For instance:

Why did it say the airplane was “in difficulty”. Nothing else about that.

Says parachutists were found dead on the runway. Then it says landed near the runway. Confusing use of landing. Did it mean the parachutists or the plane?

Says the men fell from the plane as it was landing near the runway. Landing near the runway; why ?

Just a terrible confusion of conflicting statements.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4573032 - 06/28/21 03:10 PM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
The Sun doesn't do journalism, it does attention grabbing scare mongering hackery designed to sell papers by getting emotions (usually anger/fear/disgust/etc) going. Inaccuracies are just part and parcel of it.

I firmly believe that news outlets should be forced to publish retractions and corrections on the same page with the same prominence as the original article.
So if Newspaper X publishes a front page story saying "Mr Y is a horrible whatsit", and it turns out Mr Y is not, in fact, a horrible whatsit the next front page will be a retraction and apology. I'm pretty confident that would improve accuracy standards very quickly.

#4573036 - 06/28/21 04:07 PM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
The Sun doesn't do journalism, it does attention grabbing scare mongering hackery designed to sell papers by getting emotions (usually anger/fear/disgust/etc) going. Inaccuracies are just part and parcel of it.

I firmly believe that news outlets should be forced to publish retractions and corrections on the same page with the same prominence as the original article.
So if Newspaper X publishes a front page story saying "Mr Y is a horrible whatsit", and it turns out Mr Y is not, in fact, a horrible whatsit the next front page will be a retraction and apology. I'm pretty confident that would improve accuracy standards very quickly.

+1

I'm sure everyone remembers the Air National Guard/Bush story fiasco from "60 Minutes".

#4573042 - 06/28/21 04:21 PM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Herman Offline
Herman  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I'm sure everyone remembers the Air National Guard/Bush story fiasco from "60 Minutes".

Right alongside the bungled Trump interview by Lesley Stahl

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon community's #1 choice

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
#4573043 - 06/28/21 04:22 PM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Ok. Let’s try to leave the overt political issues out of it.

#4573044 - 06/28/21 04:24 PM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Says parachutists were found dead on the runway. Then it says landed near the runway. Confusing use of landing. Did it mean the parachutists or the plane?

Says the men fell from the plane as it was landing near the runway. Landing near the runway; why ?

The quality of journalism graduates has declined immensely--I blame smartphone texting technology.

#4573145 - 06/29/21 03:26 PM Re: Journalism fail - Parachute accident [Re: oldgrognard]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

I have no idea if this is the case here, but you're all aware that a significant chunk of news stories online these days are written by bots? Even if there's an "author's" name at the top...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.