Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 313 of 366 1 2 311 312 313 314 315 365 366
#4572554 - 06/23/21 02:05 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Attention!

[Linked Image]

Le Ministre de la guerre, République Française, wishes to present an award to the following individual:

[Linked Image]

The people of France thank you sincerely for your courageous actions.

#4572558 - 06/23/21 02:44 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Raine :

Salute to your pilot

Attached Files images  B  Q.jpgindex patton.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 06/23/21 03:18 PM.
#4572559 - 06/23/21 02:51 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

RAF Lou:

Ah Man , I thought it was a visit from the Easter Bunnies ?

Attached Files 13-playboy-london-040611Easter Bunnies.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 06/23/21 03:14 PM.
#4572586 - 06/23/21 05:46 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
EPower – I thoroughly enjoyed the latest London episode and fondly recalled eating dinner at Gows when I was about thirteen.

Albert – the boss was certainly right about Kevin making a difference. He is proving to be a powerful force to be reckoned with.
Fullofit – congratulations on passing the ten victory mark.

Carrick –du Fay is doing splendidly. See what happens when you take your eyes off the nurses?

NR – a hearty welcome to Bruno. I hope he manages well in his new Pfalz and graduates to a shiny D7 before too long.

Lou – thank you for picking up my slack and keeping the Gong Fairy on schedule.

#4572594 - 06/23/21 07:24 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fullofit and Carrick - Congratulations on your awards on behalf of your pilots. Both are well deserved.

2nd Lieutenant Kevin Carroll
41 Squadron
Conteville

19 confirmed kills

23rd June 1918

Morning sortie

The Major had the whole squadron in the briefing room and went through the plan for the morning sortie.

"HQ have ordered us to attack the railyard opposite the Arras lines. For those of you new to such attacks, we will fly in low and drop our bombs and then strafe any targets of opportunity. Avoid any contact with enemy aircraft unless directly attacked." said Bowman.

"Make your attacks and get out of there. Ground fire will be tough so keep your speed up" he finished.

The weather was perfect, virtually cloudless blue skies were the order of the day as Kevin and the rest of 41 Squadron took off.

The trip across to the target was painless and as they crossed the lines they descended down towards the railyard.

Kevin lined up for his first bombing run, at about 200 meters up he dropped a pair of Cooper bombs and heard the crack of the explosion as he flew on. A look behind saw he'd hit several emplacements which were now smoking.

He came around for a second bombing run. This time he came slightly lower but faster and as the bombs exploded he was pushed upward by the blast somewhat. He looked behind and saw he'd now hit the main storage area which was burning beautifully.

Along with the others he now started the first of several strafing runs. He felt bullets hit his wing and his fuselage. He checked his controls which seemed fine.

He decided on one more pass and targeted a freight car. He blasted it with his remaining lewis drum ammunition and vickers. He decided enough was enough and headed across the lines and back home.

Thankfully all SE's came back although some had taken considerable damage.

Afternoon sortie

After a light lunch and the refuelling and rearming of the airworthy aircraft, Major Bowman took the briefing for the afternoon sortie.

He confirmed the squadron would be heading north to the lines between Ypres and Bailleul.

The weather was still excellent as Kevin and the others took off and formed up.

They headed north after climbing upto 12000 feet.

The journey north went quietly until they neared the lines. Kevin, who was tail end charlie again saw Bowman signalling and pointing ahead and down.

There, ahead of them was a formation of enemy two seaters coming the other way.

As they neared, Kevin saw they were Hannovers and came around them as several of the SE's dived into the attack.

The Huns tried to run for home but they're formation spaced out as a result and Kevin saw an opportunity to attack one of them.

He dived down and underneath and was about to open fire when another SE came in from above him and fired into the Hannover. The SE was going much too quickly however and as he tried to roll left the Hannover did the same......there was a sickening collision, the sound of crashing wood and metal was clearly heard and both machines fell out of the sky.

Stunned for a second, Kevin regained his composure and climbed back up. He looked around saw another Hannover over to his right and swung around towards it. He poured bullets into the Hun. Just at that moment another SE came in on the right and hit the German too.

Another burst tore the wing off the stricken two seater and it spun uncontrollably down into the ground.

The Hannovers were no more and 'B' flight formed up and finished their patrol.

On landing Kevin submitted his claim. He discovered the pilot who had collided with the enemy aircraft was 2nd Lieutenant Alan Lathram, one of the newer members. His aircraft was scattered far and wide and there was no sign of any body.

A short while later Kevin was in his quarters when there was a knock at the door. "Come in" said Kevin.

The door opened and it was Major Bowman. Kevin went to salute but Bowman waved him to sit.

"I need you to do something for me Lieutenant if you would. I have no idea where my bloody adjutant has gotten to and I need someone to act as witness to a discussion I need to have with one of the pilots. I'm going to stop short of court martial on this occasion but he's to be left in no uncertain terms as to his future conduct. You can say no if you wish Kevin, but I need someone there" explained the Major.

"That's fine sir I'll just grab my jacket and accompany you over to the office" said Kevin.

Once in the office, Kevin noticed 2nd Lieutenant Eric Gilly was already there. Gilly had only been with the squadron for two days and this morning's sortie was his first proper outing. Kevin didn't know much about him yet other than he was 31 and was from Stainforth in Yorkshire.

As Kevin and the Major entered Gilly snapped to attention. The Major left him there and began. He explained that Kevin was there purely as a witness.

"So, to business" began Bowman.

"Lieutenant Gilly, I have the armourer's report here following the mission this morning. It states that your ammunition was intact on landing. Can you explain why that is given the nature of our mission which was to attack the railyard?" said Bowman.

"My guns jammed sir, I attempted to clear them but couldn't" said Gilly.

"The mechanics report state your guns to be in working order Lieutenant" responded Bowman.

"I finally managed to clear the blockage on our return journey sir" said Gilly.

Bowman looked at Kevin who remained expressionless.

"Which of your weapons was jammed?" said Bowman.

"My Vickers gun sir"

"The mechanics report state there is no evidence of a blockage or prolonged attempts to clear one" said Bowman.

"I can't explain that sir".

"So, your Vickers was jammed but your Lewis gun was ok?" said Bowman

"Yes sir"

"Then why didn't you attack with your Lewis gun?

"Erm, I......"

"A well placed burst from a Lewis gun, not handicapped by any interrupter gear, would do considerable damage.... wouldn't you agree Lieutenant Carroll?" said Bowman.

Kevin wasn't at all comfortable getting any more involved than he already was and simply nodded.

"At what point did you realise you'd cleared the blockage on the Vickers Lieutenant?" said Bowman.

"As I said sir, on the return journey".

"How did you realise?" pressed Bowman

"Sir?"

"How did you realise you'd cleared the blockage Lieutenant. When you're armourer's report states not a single bullet was fired?". said Bowman.

"Erm....I could see tha...."

The Major interrupted him....."Look here Lieutenant, you know and I know there was no blockage. It was your first outing so no doubt you were scared.....I accept that, but I'm damned if I'm going to stand here and listen to any more lame excuses!" said Bowman, the last sentence being raised.

The Lieutenant's head sunk.

"Now, let me make myself very clear 2nd Lieutenant Gilly. I'm going to be watching you like a hawk. I consider myself a fair and just commander so consider that your chance. One more slip up or any more lame excuses and you'll be digging latrines with the labour battalions! Is that understood?" said Bowman.

"Yes sir" replied Gilly.

"Now get out" said Bowman. The Lieutenant saluted and left.

The Major took a bottle of whisky out of his drawer. He grabbed two glasses and poured a dram into both. He handed one to Kevin.

"Thank you sir" said Kevin.

"I'm sorry you had to hear all that but I needed someone here to witness it. Where my blasted Adjutant has gone I do not know. His feet won't touch either" said the Major.

"It's fine sir, I understand" said Kevin.

"Needless to say, tell no-one about this Kevin" said Bowman.

"Of course not sir" said Kevin.

"So, back to business. I'm afraid your claim from today has been denied. Captain Payne also entered a claim and it has been awarded to him" said Bowman.

"I understand sir" said Kevin.

"However, that's not the only news. I got a memo today from HQ. Following my report of your performances, they have seen fit to award you the Distinguished Flying Cross" said Bowman with a smile.

Kevin said nothing but the beaming smile was clear to all

"It's very well deserved Lieutenant. You're performance today emphasises that. I have yet to finalise the details regarding the award so as soon as I know you will" said Bowman.

"Now let's go and tell the others" finished Bowman.

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpgA5.jpgA6.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpg

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4572601 - 06/23/21 11:44 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Henri N. du Fay
Spa 94,Adjutant, C.G.
Roissy en France
Aerodrome

7 Victory's
2 Unconfirmed

Jun 23, 1918.

Intercept: Frantic Call from forward Obs Many a/c. 9 a/c off and we found Nothing. No e/a contact.

Offensive Patrol: Zee Boch was up a Jasta 8 or 9 e/a over the line. The Esc 's 12 a/c managed to break them up. I stayed high in my New Nose Heavy Spad ,but did manage to drop on an V strut got hits smoke was seen as I took fire from one I didnt see. Dive and went home. Maybe 2 e/a for 1 pilot wnd and 2 damaged. I didn't claim mine don't know if he went down.

Attached Files CFS3 2021-06-23 16-00-08-61.jpgCFS3 2021-06-23 16-20-22-55.jpgCFS3 2021-06-23 16-05-42-98.jpg
#4572602 - 06/23/21 11:44 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

[Linked Image]

Dammit to Hell! Mac gone West. This one's a real kick in the bollocks. I'm very sorry, Raine. Oliver will meet him again, High in the Empty Blue.

#4572604 - 06/24/21 12:23 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
NR, I keep repeating, the skies are thick with all kinds of planes. It is getting more difficult to avoid them. Collisions are as likely as a single bullet to the head. Yes, Klaus doesn’t have the head for drinking, it seems.
So, a new pilot. Herzlich Willkommen Bruno! Looks like that Pfalz suits Vzfw Hilscher. Let’s see how he gets on with the opposition tomorrow. Good luck!

Albert, I was surprised myself it was such a quiet day. Not exactly war conditions, but better than being chased by Strutters.
So, a ground pounding mission for Kevin. It is good to know when that last strafing run was the last one and not go for one more, or it could really be the last one. Keeping your altitude when bombing is also critical. Good thing Carroll knows it all too well.
Then the two-seaters. Denied both times. Very unfortunate. Probably not as unfortunate as getting your remains spread across the land along with the crew of the bomber.
Then the unpleasantness of witnessing Major Bowman ripping that shirker a new one. Let’s hope for his sake he’ll grow a spine. Congrats again on the gong.

Lou, many thanks for the lovely gong. I’m sure it isn’t cursed in any way. Quick question: The provisional ID the Gong Fairy bestows on his victims calls the Iron Cross: Eiserne Kreuz, meanwhile Wikipedia calls it Eisernes Kreuz. Is the Gong Fairy using the High German?

Congrats to Henri on his Croix de Guerre. I hope it is cursed more than my award.

23 June, 1918 07:45 morning mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Feldwebel Klaus Gustav Raben
Fokker D.VII
10 confirmed kills

Klaus was feeling much better today, but the C.O. told them they need to do better than yesterday. The Kaiser isn’t sending them on sightseeing tours. There must be results! Klaus took it personally and decided to make a difference. Let’s just hope the enemy agrees to cooperate.
They were sent to patrol friendly front lines between Marbache and Lunéville.
The Schwarm was still over Metz when the enemy machines came at them from above. Klaus could see them all gunning for him and this time he decided to stay in the middle of the Schwarm. Let them come after him now! And so they did, but the position of his plane with the rest of his Schwarm between him and the charging enemy prohibited them from ganging up on Klaus. This is what he wanted. Only one SPAD was able to get through the screen and come after Raben. That suited Klaus just fine. As the enemy overshot and came around for another go, Klaus had him in his sights and let a quick burst as their machines faced one another. The enemy pilot was heavily wounded or outright killed with that first burst as he began to spiral all the way to the ground.

YouTube Link

Klaus turned back to the main battle and observed a Fokker chasing a SPAD below. Raben was much higher and would catch the enemy plane before the other Fokker. He went into a shallow dive, but right at that moment another SPAD flew just in front of him. He quickly changed direction to follow this new target. He now could see a Fokker on his tail, but the SPAD was about to dive and leave them in his wake. He was fair game and Klaus was on him in an instant. A few prolonged volleys from his Spandaus and the enemy machine was falling down minus his top port side wing.

YouTube Link

Raben then turned back again towards the main battle which by now devolved into individual duels. He was heading for one of those right now. He could see clearly now a red and white Fokker being pursued by a SPAD. Klaus went after the pair and began to spiral down to get at his intended target. The SPAD driver didn’t seem to have noticed Raben behind. Either this or simply chose to ignore him. It was a wrong decision in either case. He was low and slow and Klaus was on his tail and firing. The French biplane slowed down even more from damage and Klaus had to move to one side or risk a collision. He was back on his tail soon enough and long burst of his machine guns set the enemy crate alight. He didn’t have far to go and crashed soon after.

YouTube Link

That looked like that was the end of the enemy attack. August should be happy with the results this time. This definitely wasn’t a sightseeing trip.
He was now approaching Ars - the aerodrome just south of their own when a whine of a diving engine and fired rounds rung out. Klaus had no time to react to avoid the attack, but thankfully whoever the enemy was, had missed. Klaus quickly scanned the area around him and spotted the poor-shot. It was another SPAD now desperately trying to get away by trying to climb up and away from the area. He was a poor shot and poor flyer. He had no idea this new Fokker could keep up with him in a climb and then some. Two quick bursts and the SPAD was spinning down. Klaus watched the final moments of his enemy, but it turned out he wasn’t such a bad pilot after all. He faked that death spiral and was now running away at treetop heights. Klaus followed as he still had the height advantage and quickly closed the distance. Two more bursts, then another two and the SPAD lost both of his starboard wings. There is no faking that. Nonetheless Klaus followed his enemy’s fall to be sure. The spinning machine took a long time to crash below. Raben checked the skies again and prepared to land. There was another mission still to be flown today.

YouTube Link

23 June, 1918 14:05 afternoon mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Feldwebel Klaus Gustav Raben
Fokker D.VII
10 confirmed kills
Awaiting four claim confirmations

Jasta had to scrap plans for their afternoon mission. A call came in with orders to intercept inbound enemy aircraft heading for the troop camp near Pont-à-Mousson.
Even before reaching the patrol area they could see the enemy formation approach. It was mayhem. With 9 German planes to 5 enemy, it was more than too close for comfort. The enemy bombers were uncoordinated and attacked individually. The Fokkers had no problems with eliminating them all. One went to Klaus who pursued it across the skies to finally bring it down south of Gravelotte. It was a productive day.
In the evening, the C.O. called Klaus into his office. He had a little surprise for him. His 10 kills have earned him an award, the Eisernes Kreuze 2. Klasse. He’ll definitely go to sleep wearing it.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4572608 - 06/24/21 01:33 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Carrick - Well well well, congratulations on the latest bling, plus the combat, even if there was no claim. Still some good shots on the Hun.

Reine - Here's hoping!

Tross - Some good old railyard attacks with an SE5 I see. That's some memories. At least there was no collisions or overly lucky AAA.
Not so much on the second flight then. First a collision and then claim rejections, plus having to watch over that spectacle, but it seems like it was rather necessary. Can't go out flying with unreliable people at your side, can you now? What a day.

Fullofit - And that's what's so scary about them, those collisions. Seems like there may still be some more cause for drinking though, with that bling! Congratulations on that one! Well deserved indeed.
The Pfalz does suit, even if it wasn't what Bruno exactly wanted, but that's what he'll be dealing with for now. Not much in terms of opposition, fortunately or not.
Gotta say, that was a very lucky snap-shot there with that first Spad, getting him like that. Guess that's just the same point about a single bullet.
And following that, oh dear, what a slaughter. Certainly not a sight seeing trip given the four kills, included that last SPAD who really shouldn't have tried something like this. Oughta wonder if that death spiral fakeout was just luck on his part. Unfortunately for him ,it didn't work regardless whether it was luck or intent. And then of course that killed bomber. That makes five then? Five in a day, dear lord. Klaus is a straight up butcher. Only certifies how well deserved that bling was.

Vizefeldwebel Bruno Bertram Hilscher
Jagdstaffel 33
Ennemein, Flanders
23rd June

This morning the Hauptmann came to me and informed me what the next and pretty much final stage of my introduction into the squadron will be. He was leading the Squadron out on a patrol of the lines in supprort of our ground troops, and as such I was to join them for what he called a little 'navigation exercise'. This consisted of following them through to the front lines and then making my way back to the field. Should we meet any foe, I was to disregard the flight altogether and run back without getting in anyone's way. Only afterwards would he permit me to take part in ordinary combat operation, if he is satisfied in my ability to get my craft over to the front and back. I eagerly took on such a challenge, not wanting to make a fool of myself and finally get to doing something productive.

An hour later everyone was assembled on the field and we took off, slowly climbing, with me flying on the wing of the Hauptmann himself alongside two others flying in their very own Albatrosses. I slightly envied them, if not for the machine itself then for the fact that I stood out terribly flying a silver plane amidst brown and yellow craft. Felt almost like just asking someone to single me out and jump me if we were to get into a fight. Regardless, my orders were to avoid a fight so that shouldn't be much of a problem. It proved to be a non-issue, as after our climb we turned to head for the lines. Getting there unmolested, I accompanied the flight to the middle of the lines before wiggling my wings and breaking off, headed back home which I done without further issue. Maybe half an hour later, the Jasta came back home without having encountered any opposition. The Hauptmann congratulated me on passing this test of his and declaring that we have one more sortie for the day, which I will be involved in fully.

This sortie proved to be another patrol of the lines and troop support, with the whole Jasta being involved. I was to fly with the Hauptmann's section again, now consisting of two Albs and another Pfalz besides mine. At least I wasn't sticking out like a sore thumb anymore. Despite the preparedness for combat and possible contact, this sortie went rather well if not uneventfully. We took off, climbed, made it to the lines and after not seeing anything for a while went back home. Hopefully the next day will bring something more interesting, and perhaps I'll even get to meet my first foe in the sky.

Attached Files Shot06-24-21-00-28-06.jpgShot06-24-21-00-29-37.jpgShot06-24-21-00-33-33.jpgShot06-24-21-00-58-03.jpg

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
I bet you do, too, Buddy."
#4572613 - 06/24/21 06:29 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Carrick - Henri had a 'nearly' day. Nearly seeing some incoming aircraft and nearly downing that Albatros which probably did go down but only 'probably'.

Fullofit - Yes a strange day for Kevin but at least they did enough damage on the first ground attack sortie that it didn't need to be repeated. As for Klaus, what a day that was. Five claims and a gong to go with them. Top job. A clever trick to keep the hoards at bay and then those SPADs fell like toy soldiers to Raben's guns. When will those silly SPADs realise that low and slow is a fine way to cook pulled pork and beef brisket but is no way to fly fighters. Hopefully they'll get confirmed.

NR - So Bruno's final training flight all goes well and then his first full mission is a quiet one. A chance to get fully familarised with the rest of the Jasta and his battleship grey Pfalz I suppose. It is a weird paint scheme that. Like an unpainted airfix model.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4572690 - 06/24/21 08:01 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

On holiday and away from my normal computer so I'll catch up with all your adventures on the weekend. For now, Oliver has some news...

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 91

27 May 1918
Royal Automobile Club
Pall Mall, London.

Didn’t see this coming. What a way to run a war!

At 9.55 this morning I arrived at Colonel Chesterton’s Office in a state of abject resignation. Another day soon to be wasted by pointless waiting.

At 10.00 to the second, Lt. Tomkinson stood up from his work and said cheerfully, “the Colonel will see you now sir,” then he escorted me into Col. Chesterton’s office. The room must have been part of a larger suite at the Cecil. A dark oak desk sat athwart the corner facing outwards toward the door. In an adjacent corner, two wingback leather club chairs bracketed a low mahogany table. The Colonel was presently engaged in knocking a golf ball around the carpeted floor of his palatial lair.

“Winningstad!” he exclaimed, looking up from his game and offering the courtesy salute accorded a VC holder. “We meet at last.”

The Colonel was a man in his middle thirties, sporting a monocle and a large blond mustache. He wore RFC wings and the ribbons of the DSO and Military Cross. I’d never heard mention of his name but he’d obviously gotten around, either in the RFC or the Infantry. As he set the golf club aside and moved to an ornate sideboard on which three decanters stood, it was clear from his limping gait that he’d lost some portion of his left leg.

“Sherry?” he offered, lifting a decanter to pour into two glasses at the ready.

At this hour?! Oh dear.

“No. Thank you, sir.”

If my refusal disappointed the Colonel, he made no sign.

“Please, do sit down,” he said, indicating one of the large club chairs and limped over to sit in the other.

“You’re a bit of a dark horse, Winningstad. All those Huns and not a mention in the press. This McCudden fellow, on the other hand, has the papers going mad.”

“That suits me fine, sir.”

The Colonel leaned forward and his features hardened into a more serious cast.

“Does it? I must say, for a chap who shuns the limelight, you’re quite the topic of conversation in some very high places,” he said, then leaned back, and began polishing his monocle.

Be careful, Oliver

“I don’t follow you, sir.”

“We may be Red Tabs but we’re not all bloody idiots, Winningstad. A movement order doesn’t take 5 days to execute. Truth is there’s been a bit of a row over your future.”

Oh hell, here it comes

“Some of the truly barmy members of the Conservative Party want you out of the way on a tour of America. Wave the flag and all that. Not keen on an American as the highest scoring pilot in the RAF.”

Gods below!

“Fancy a trip home, Captain?” he asked, setting his monocle back in place.

“No, sir! Absolutely not.”

“I thought as much. Lucky for you then, because you’re not going. Bloody stupid idea.”

“I know Colonel Rees wants you back in Turnberry, but one of your new admirers scotched that. Requires you at the ready in France for some cloak and dagger scheme. All very hush-hush. So, the question remains, what to do with you? I see that you turned down two squadrons. Have you a problem being in command, Winningstad?”

“Not at all, sir”

“Can you command?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Capital! You’re in then. No. 24 Squadron. Conteville. June 2nd. Congratulations, Major Winningstad!

----------------------------------------

Setting aside the five days of waiting, the entire meeting with Col. Chesterton took less than five minutes. The affair was indeed Highly Irregular as the nerve-addled Captain Brooke-Hamster described it.

Highly Irregular doesn’t come close, Oliver, and you know it.

I had a pretty clear idea as to the identity of the ‘new admirer’ pulling the strings. What dark plot had Tennyson set in motion? The realization that his reach extended to RAF Command postings was chilling. Col. Chesterton’s explanation was not entirely convincing.

“The CO there, err…what’s his name…? Robeson! He’s moving up to Wing.”

Colonel Chesterton arranged with London Colney for me to ferry a machine to France tomorrow. Much to do in the interval.

Telegram to Smokey with the news.

Kingsman in the afternoon with my uniform tunics. Mr. Pendergon offered congratulations and summoned two assistants to alter my uniforms post haste. Gone the three pips of the Captain, to be replaced with the crown of a Majority. I am now expected to exercise the discretion of staff officer. Hah! On the ground, perhaps, but in the air I’ll keep my own counsel.

Wire to Robeson alerting him to my early arrival. I remembered B-B’s three extra days with Major Blomfield making for a much smoother change of command. I’ve never met Robeson and know him only by his reputation, which is considerable. He’s been in France since 1915, with No. 9, No. 10 and No. 46 Squadrons, before assuming command of 24 Sqn. I wonder if his promotion to Wing comes as a surprise.

Squadron Command with its accompanying Majority is a step I’ve long anticipated, even if I never sought it out. Declining the two previous offers of a squadron was about flying not command itself. With the prohibition against a flying CO lifted, the situation is different now. It’s time.

A quiet evening for my last night in London. Said goodbye to Jimmy over a farewell drink at the Savoy bar. Dinner at the grill. Retired early.

28 May 1918
London Colney Aerodrome
Hertfordshire, England

Took the early train to London Colney through some ominous looking fog.

Bloody English weather! Heavy mist with intermittent torrential rain and no let up in sight. Not going to France today.

Last edited by epower; 06/25/21 03:03 AM.
#4572691 - 06/24/21 08:38 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Epower - Our posts crossed. So Oliver finally met up with the Colonel and finally he has his posting and it's to an active squadron.....good show! Put all of his blighty based issues aside and get back to what he does best. 24 Squadron eh, plenty of history there. Let's hope the channel crossing happens soon for him.

41 Squadron
Conteville

19 confirmed kills

24th June 1918

Morning sortie

Captain Chappell grabbed Kevin and Captain Hemming and explained they had another balloon busting mission. The balloon opposite the Arras lines had been replaced so clearly it was as important to the Germans as it was a hindrance to the British.

The usual instructions followed about not engaging unless attacked.

The weather was good, bright sunshine but some clouds around too.

The trio took off and headed out south east. The flak bursts told them they were now over the lines and Kevin could see the target balloon in the distance and nosed down.

As they approached he lined up on the balloon and opened fire as the others did. The balloon went up in flames and Kevin levelled out and started to climb up again.

Once again the other two pilots had already started for home and Kevin found himself someway behind them.

At that moment something made him look back and he saw an aircraft hurtling towards him.

He broke right and came around avoiding the bullets. He turned to look what he was up against and saw it was a Pfalz. Just then something caught his eye behind him and he saw another Pfalz coming in towards him.

Now he was up against it. He rolled and avoided the incoming attack. He now dived and then went up and over to the right. At that moment one of the Pfalzs flashed past him. He fired and scored some hits.

The Pfalz dived and Kevin looked to see where the other one was. It was still trying to get on his tail.

He pulled the tightest turn he could and held the stick there. The Pfalz stayed with him for a couple of turns but then Kevin started gaining on him. The Pfalz looped up but Kevin went with him and fired into the German.

The Pfalz now dived but again Kevin was ready and followed him. He blasted the Hun with a long burst and must have hit the controls as the Pfalz went over into a spin and spun all the way down into the ground.

Kevin looked for the other Pfalz and could just see it off in the distance as it ran for home. Kevin throttled up, nosed down and raced after him.

He was now a fair way over the lines but finally caught the Hun up. He had reloaded the lewis and now poured both barrels into the German. His burst hit the pilot who slumped forward in the cockpit and the aircraft nosed down and went into the ground.

Kevin finally headed home and landed shortly after the other two.

"Did you two not see me fighting those two Pfalzs then?" said Kevin to Chappell and Hammond as he met up with them.

"I only saw the one Kevin and you had him cold when I looked" said Chappell and Hammond nodded his agreement.

Afternoon sortie

Major Bowman took the afternoon briefing and explained that both flights would be escorting some RE8's from 42 Squadron to attack the lines east of Bethune.

The weather was still good as they took off. Kevin noticed that Bowman had placed 2nd Lieutenant Gilly on his left. Kevin smirked to himself from his position at the back of the formation.

They formed up and climbed up to the rendezvous point where the 'Harry Tates' were waiting for them.

They formed up above the two seaters and headed east. The journey to the lines went ok and the bombers lined up to attack the trench lines.

Just then bullets ripped into his top wing. Kevin instinctively rolled away and looked back to see a Fokker DVII on his tail.

Kevin pulled the tightest turn he could and could now see several other enemy aircraft diving in to attack the two seaters.

'B' flight went after them as Kevin tried to shake off his attacker. He rolled and flipped left but the Fokker read it. He rolled and dived but then pulled up into a loop then at the top he slowed to a stall. The Fokker shot past him momentarily and just as Kevin's SE was about to flip over he blasted the Hun.

Correcting the SE quickly he looked for the Fokker and saw it trying to dive away. "No chance, not on your nelly" said Kevin as he dived after him.

The Fokker levelled out just above the ground but Kevin was right behind him and blasted him. The Fokker spewed smoke and stalled into the ground.

Kevin took stock and could only see a formation in the distance back over the lines which he took to be the RE8's.

He climbed back up and headed home. As he crossed the lines though he spotted another aircraft coming the other way. It was another Fokker. He swooped around and down and went after the Hun. This one had a swastika on the side of his fuselage, Kevin noted.

A series of scissors ensued but Kevin came out on top as he had the height and speed. He fired into the enemy aircraft and another burst had the Fokker spinning down into the ground.

Now Kevin finally headed home. He could see a couple of other SE's above him.

On landing he found that four Fokkers had been claimed and none of the RE8's were downed. An SE was lost however and 2nd Lieutenant Greg Ryan had been killed. He'd been with 41 Squadron for a month.

Later on Major Bowman spoke with Kevin and confirmed two of his four claims from today. One in the morning and one from the afternoon bringing his total to 21.

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgA4.jpgA5.jpgA6.jpgA7.jpgA9.jpgA10.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpgB6~2.jpgB7.jpg

#4572692 - 06/24/21 09:14 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Henri N. du Fay
Spa 94,Adjutant, C.G.
Roissy en France
Aerodrome

7 Victory's
2 Unconfirmed

June 24, 1918

Escort: What a Sitter almost to Verdun and back. No Contact

Defensive Patrol: No Contact.

Found out at the mess we had New cooks The Commandant ( The Comte de Winter } put the old ones as Guards and hired Locals cooks at last good food.

https://giphy.com/gifs/dance-kitchen-help-U3nKcdWy3TH3QaLwlT/fullscreen

Last edited by carrick58; 06/24/21 09:27 PM.
#4572703 - 06/25/21 12:00 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Tross - Well, a quiet mission for the first few flights is probably quite a good thing. Chance to get familiarised indeed. Do have to agree with that one. Looks quite out of place too, given how colourful everything else is.
Well well, a tough two fights for Kevin it seems. First being caught out on the way home like that, which could've been fatal, but thankfully Kevin managed to turn the tide and score two kills, even if just one was confirmed. And then a good clash with some Fokkers, again with good success but sadly unfavourable claims. Well, two out of four is still half. Congratulations!

Epower - Ah, what silly Tory shenanigans, wanting to send Oliver off to America. Shame on them. So of all things, commanding the 24th? Interesting to see what will come from that. Surely Oliver will do a good job.

Carrick - A quiet day then! Those are good, in moderation.

Vizefeldwebel Bruno Bertram Hilscher
Jagdstaffel 33
Ennemein, Flanders
24th June

Bruno's third day at Jasta 33 begun with being called up into an escort mission, bringing Hannovers on recon duty over to the lines. Eager for more chances to prove himself in case something was to happen, he enthusiastically flew on to the mission, the schwarm meeting up with the escortees and then following them over the lines, vigilantly watching for any sign of a foe, ready to pounce on them with the vigor of a guard dog. This was for nothing in the end, as no contact came and the Hannovers turned for home after getting their job done, with the only contact they had made being Archie fire from the ground desperately triyng to scare them off.

In the evening, the Hauptmann pulled Bruno aside and introduced him to a couple of airmen. He told him that they were to go balloon busting, dealing with a particularly bothersome observation balloon recently getting on the nerves of local troops in the sector, and he wanted Bruno to go with them. The prospect of destroying balloons never crossed his mind, but he was just as eager, wondering what that would be like. With his silvery Pfalz he followed suit behind the two more experienced pilots flying Albatrosses, climbing for height and then letting them lead ahead over the lines and to the position of the balloon. Bruno soon spotted the target, and with renewed excitement was rushing downwards toward it, overtaking his flightmates and opening fire. He opened fire too early, clearly inexperiencedly, but kept on firing and managed to ignite the balloon at which point he broke. Soon after it blew apart, and Bruno was on the way home, having not spotted his flightmates afterwards.

After crossing friendly lines however, crossing in vacinity of several friendly airfields he had spotted a sight of what seemed like a furball in the clouds above of one, alongside archie fire. Still seeing no sight of his flightmates, his curiosity got the better of him and he pulled off to investigate, trying to zone in on one of the aircraft which were now headed for the lines as a part of a very loose flight. Getting closer, he finally seen the roundels. It was a SPAD. And not just that, but a SPAD with a dead engine which hasn't managed to see him yet... Better yet, right above him flew another SPAD, with what also seemed a knocked out engine. With two weak targets that shouldn't be able to resist, Bruno jumped at the opportunity, eager to seize the chance and get bragging rights for bagging two SPADs when he gets back. He snuck up on the closest and lowest SPAD, closer and closer, before finally opening fire when he had him fully in sight. His bullets tore into the SPAD which tried to turn, stalling in the air while the spandaus sent lead straight into the pilot, blasting him to pieces. The plane finished its turning stall and went spinning into the ground.

Bruno has just killed a man, and not just a man but a practically defenceless one. Normally, Bruno would've took a long moment to consider what he had just done and the implications of it, but filled with adrenaline and thrills from his kill, Bruno was about to turn to engage the higher SPAD much like the first. What he did not expect was for the SPAD to come barreling down towards him, guns blazing and striking his wings several times before the airframe itself came crashing into the Pfalz. The impact ripped into both plane and pilot, and sent Bruno's plane spinning out of control, Bruno himself badly damaged from the suicidal ramming. Somehow he recovered, perhaps by sheer luck, but this did not persist. Struggling with the bleeding and pain, still barely in control of an actively falling apart plane he pulled the controls with the most intensity he could muster, aiming to land in a field just behind friendly lines. Everyone would've seen him coming in, so medicals were already on the way...

Unfortunately, right before he could touch down with his wheels Bruno overestimated the correction and with the damaged controls induced a stall just feet above the ground, sending it leaning to the side. The speeds were slow, and what would've been an otherwise bearable impact combined with the injuries endured by both Hilscher and his craft completely broke the plane, causing the engine to burst in flames. The ambulance arrived just in time to hear Bruno's final shrieks of pain and pleas for God and his mother as he burnt alive, trapped in the wreckage. At that point, there was nothing to be done.

Attached Files Shot06-24-21-23-46-37.jpgShot06-25-21-00-03-26.jpgShot06-25-21-00-07-11.jpgShot06-25-21-00-12-21.jpgShot06-25-21-00-18-36.jpgShot06-25-21-00-18-45.jpgShot06-25-21-00-19-16.jpgShot06-25-21-00-21-12.jpgShot06-25-21-00-23-20.jpg

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
#4572704 - 06/25/21 12:25 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Omg, Roasted Burno under Pfalz !

Salute to your pilot NotRelevant

Attached Files Count Kluggerman.jpgunnamed.jpg63406921572127504287_thumbsalute.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 06/25/21 01:23 AM.
#4572705 - 06/25/21 12:27 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
NR, Klaus learns quickly and the lesson about drinking an flying next they is still fresh in his mind. No heavy drinking I’m afraid.
That burst into the first SPAD surprised me. I was sure he’d recover from that spiral, but better that than having to dive all the way to the deck to finish him off. He finally showed what a Fokker can do with the next 3 kills. Well that last SPAD was an anomaly, thankfully a very poor marksman. But you just wait, there’s more.
So, that Pfalz isn’t too bad, apart from a paint job that makes him a prime target. Bruno will have to learn to use that sturdy build to his advantage. Once he gets that Fokker, he’ll definitely notice the difference.
Well, I've just finished reading you last report while my vids were getting uploaded. There is no way Bruno will taste the joy of flying a Fokker. I didn't see that coming. Bruno, we hardly knew you. You will be avenged!

Albert, there’s nothing wrong with an unpainted Airfix model. Mine are all still in their boxes, unassembled. It was a good day for Klaus. Something, he’d been waiting for a while. The job is that much easier when those Strutters and Bréguets don’t get in the way.
Hmm, those two leaving Kevin to fight the Pfalzes on his own. What’s up with that? Are they this confident? Congrats on getting them all, including the balloon.
Then the escort mission and the Fokker attack. It was a touch and go for a moment but Kevin persevered. Well done on bringing both Huns down. Now, the big question: how did Gilly do? Was he smart enough this time to fire a few shots in the air to cover all traces of yellow-bellyness?

Epower, what, on holiday? You lucky, lucky dog! I haven’t had a real vacation since a year before COVID. Probably will have to pass on it this year as well. What a life.
Wait a minute … he said Major, right? Congrats on the promotion! Well done and a command of your own. Despite dodging the assignment for some time, they’ve got Oliver pinned. It’s that blackmail tactic again, take command or go home on a war bond promotion tour. They’ve got him figured out. So, France at last. Will he have to fly at night and get Clarissa out of enemy territory. I do fancy whisking her away from danger in a single seat on your lap.

24 June, 1918 08:45 morning mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Feldwebel Klaus Gustav Raben EK2
Fokker D.VII
13 confirmed kills

Two of the SPADs from the morning mission and the Airco from the afternoon have been confirmed.
The orders from the HQ were clear: protect airfield at Mars-la-Tour.
The skies were cloudless and enemy planes would be easy to spot. It was no wonder then that the Fokkers were ready for the attack when it came. The dots in the distance were coming at them from a higher altitude, but their numbers seemed to be inferior to those of the Jasta. Klaus watched two of them approaching and attacked first, despite lower position. This took the enemy by surprise and the ensuing melee turned out differently than what they had planned. Klaus’ Fokker fired at the first Nieuport to arrive and continued on through the hive of planes that were now scattering in all directions. He observed the proceedings from his position and could now see all of the Fokkers entwined in battle with the N.28’s. He was waiting for the one that was the most dangerous to him - the one that was now firing. Raben easily avoided the attack and turned to engage, but his foe was already tackled by two more Fokkers. The Americans were in trouble. Klaus surveyed the situation from high above and not seeing any immediate threats to his plane, engaged the highest Nieuport. The Amerikaner was already chased by two of the red and white planes but soon one was left behind and the other one was making a meek attempt at swatting that plane from the skies by flying behind and doing barrel-rolls. Klaus approached and sent out his greetings. He registered hits. The Nieuport banked, but at that time the other Fokker engaged and began to fire. Raben gave him enough room to do his work and waited patiently for his turn. It didn’t take long. The other Fokker moved off after firing another salvo. Klaus reengaged and damaged the Nieuport further. It was now diving for all it was worth. The young German pilot had heard these planes don’t do well in dives and tend to lose wings, but this one had no qualms about any of this nonsense. He continued to dive at incredible speeds. Klaus continued to fire and damage the enemy. The wind was howling during the dive, letting him know he was going too fast. Raben had to pull up, but the Nieuport continued on. How was that possible? Then he understood, there was no recovering from that dive for the American pilot. Klaus watched the enemy plane hit the trees and explode in a small copse.
He quickly scanned his immediate vicinity for more enemies, but found none. He swung his plane around the other way and this time scanned the sky above him. He found a trio of dots ahead. They were all descending in his direction and he decided to assist. He could see now two Fokkers chasing after a solitary Nieuport. Raben engaged and fired at the enemy plane. The Nieuport didn’t evade and Klaus could see now the prop was stationary on the French crate. The other two Fokkers continued to harass the wounded bird, but it was Raben’s volley that took out the lower wing and sent the enemy plane spinning down next to the other column of smoke left by his previous adversary.

YouTube Link

Raben was now on his way to look for the rest of his Schwarm when he noticed a red and white silhouette against the dark background of a burned out forest. He could now see another shape following him. Certainly it had to be another Nieuport getting the best of the Fokker. Klaus timed his move and executed it perfectly. He was now on the tail of the Amerikaner and preparing to fire. He could see the enemy hadn’t noticed him and could take all the time in the world to line up his shot. He was wrong. The Nieuport opened fire on the Fokker he’d been chasing. He was closer to the other Fokker than he thought. Forget perfect shot! He opened fire and continued to do so until the Nieuport caught on fire and crashed below. The fight was over and the signal was given to form up and return to base.

YouTube Link

24 June, 1918 14:30 afternoon mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Feldwebel Klaus Gustav Raben EK2
Fokker D.VII
13 confirmed kills
Awaiting three claim confirmations

Defend airfield at Mars-la-Tour.
Given the enemy’s morning attack on the airfield has been thwarted, it was logical that the HQ would send them to defend it again in the afternoon. Knowing the enemy, they wouldn’t give up after just one attempt. The brass hats were right for once. They only came close to Frescaty aerodrome before they were attacked from above by a gaggle of Nieuports. It felt like they all ganged up on Klaus again. Despite his wingmen valiant attempts to swat them all from his tail, Raben was hit repeatedly. The good news was that his machine’s performance did not appear to suffer and he was able to continue the fight. With the combined effort there were less and less foes following his machine. In the end only one persistent Amerikaner was left to deal with. Klaus was caught unprepared for this afternoon’s encounter and it showed. His aim was off, and he had difficulties engaging his targets. It was a chore to get on his foe’s tail, but once he did, he opened fire and he could see the N.28’s engine beginning to suffer. A faint ribbon of light smoke began to trail the enemy’s machine and the Yankee knew it. He went into a dive and Raben followed. There was a loud crack coming from nearby. Klaus thought he’d just pulled another wing off his machine, but after checking it over it seemed fine. In the meantime he lost sight of his target. He was going south so at least he knew the enemy would continue in that direction if he wanted to get anywhere near his home base. Klaus continued his shallow dive while looking around for his prey.

YouTube Link

It took a minute or so, but he finally found him high above, with the engine switched off. It only took a few minutes to get close to him and open fire. His aim was off again and most likely missed, but this was enough to spook the American pilot into a dive to avoid more damage. Diving meant he wouldn’t get far. Raben followed and attempted to get on his tail again, but the enemy pilot was skilled and continued to evade. Klaus finally had him in his sights, but hesitated too long and was only able to fire a few rounds before he had to break off to avoid a collision. It didn’t matter, the Nieuport had to expend more of his precious altitude in order to avoid more rounds striking his plane. There was nowhere to go but down. Raben observed as the enemy scout found an opening between the trees to set his stricken machine down. He was almost there, but his landing gear snagged the tops of the trees and the entire contraption went down in pieces. It crashed in the opening. Klaus shook his head. The Amerikaner was this close to saving his hide. Raben wasn’t sorry. He had holes from his fallen enemy’s guns in his wings to keep from feeling any kind of sympathy.
“- Should have stayed home and look after you livestock, cowboy.” Was his only thought while flying away from the wreck. The battle was over and the Fokkers were forming up to return home.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4572714 - 06/25/21 06:31 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Carrick - A couple of quiet ones for Henri after all the shenanigans of the previous days. Probably not a bad thing. As for the new cooks, well they certainly don't spoil the broth no matter how many there are.

NR - Bruno took on the balloon successfully and then saw what he thought was a dream. Two lame duck SPADs just hanging around waiting for someone to finish them off. He took care of the first one and then.......wallop. Fair play to that SPAD driver, getting off an attack in an engineless piece of wood. A sorry end to a short story for Bruno. Sorry to see him go.

Fullofit - You should become Sandbaggers supplier in that case with all those model kits. As for Gilly, he fired 28 shots and registered one hit. He was also 'shook up' which is normally WOFF code for a light wound. Maybe the duelling scar will spur him on to greatness......doubt it but we'll see.

Now to Raben. He's making mincemeat of those 28's even when they dive like the wind. Another four claims to go with the confirmations from yesterday. Klaus is klimbing quickly it seems. He took his time with that last one, sometimes it goes like that, you try so hard you miss. Sometimes those engineless birds are a nightmare....just ask NR. He got him in the end though. Good job.

#4572794 - 06/25/21 07:44 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
41 Squadron
Conteville

21 confirmed kills

25th June 1918

Morning sortie

The Major confirmed that 'B' flight would be heading east to the lines east of Bethune. 'A' flight was already out on an escort mission.

The weather was perfect, virtually no clouds or wind as Kevin took off with the others and climbed up before heading east.

As they flew up to 15000 feet Kevin wondered were 2nd Lieutenant Gilly was. Then he remembered, Bowman had given him a day off on account of the graze across his shoulder were a bullet had skimmed him. Personally though he thought the Major just wanted shut of him for a couple of missions.

He wondered what it was like, having to lead so many men, keep them keen but honest. As a Sergeant he'd led a platoon on a number of sorties across the lines but they weren't really his, once they were back he was on his own again.

They were near the lines now and Kevin was all eyes across the clear blue skies. After a few minutes he spotted dark specks over to the right and a bit lower. Several specks.....a lot of specks.

He signalled but Bowman had already seen them. It was a whole Jasta's worth of enemy aircraft coming across the lines.

They outnumbered 'B' flight by nearly 3 to 1 as Kevin saw they were Fokkers. The one thing 'B' flight had was height and Kevin decided to try and take some out straight away. He dived down headlong into the enemy formation. He blasted into one hun and then scored hits on another.

He climbed back up again and completed an Immelmann turn and came back at the Fokkers. The Huns had broken up and Kevin picked one of them. He was lining up when bullets hit his left wing. Kevin looked around and saw a German turning onto his tail. He ceased his attack and rolled right.

The Fokker went with him but Kevin had better speed and pulled away. He climbed and looped around after his attacker as it looked for another target. He blasted the Hun who dived down. Kevin went with him and fired again. He tore the Fokker's wing to shreds and watched the Hun spin down into the ground.

He took stock and now saw one of the Fokker's below him heading back home. He dived down and eventually latched onto the Hun's tail. He poured both weapons into the German and must have hit the pilot as the aircraft nosed down and went straight into the ground.

He realised he was a fair way across the lines now and climbed and looped around and headed home.

On reaching home he found two SE's had been downed although both pilots were ok. Four Fokkers had been downed including Kevin's pair.

Afternoon sortie

Major Bowman got the whole squadron together and confirmed they'd be heading back to Bethune. Bowman's SE had been damaged in the morning's mission and he'd been lucky to get down ok. He was out for a spot of revenge.

From a tactical point of view, he said that such a large formation as they came up against this morning needed stopping.

The weather was still excellent as 'A' and 'B' flight took off, formed, climbed and headed out.

The outward journey went without incident and the squadron had turned north along the lines. At that moment Kevin was looking down towards the German side when he saw an aircraft heading east.

It was a Fokker and Kevin checked around and on seeing nothing else nearby he rolled over and dived down onto the unsuspecting Hun. He blasted the German hard. The Fokker dived down and Kevin followed. He noticed the German had the same colour scheme as the one's from this morning.

He caught the enemy aircraft up and fired into him again. The Fokker nosed down and smashed into the ground.

At that moment he saw two more aircraft ahead and to the right. They were heading for home by the look of it and Kevin changed the lewis gun drum and raced after the nearest one. It was another Fokker and Kevin was closing in. He stayed low and tried to stay out of sight. He then nosed up and fired into the Hun. The Fokker reared up and Kevin hit him again and saw the pilot slump over in the cockpit. The Fokker ploughed into the ground.

Kevin could now see the other Fokker in the distance and raced after him. They were a fair way over the German lines now but Kevin wasn't letting him get away. He was catching the German up now and the Fokker spotted Kevin and turned to face him.

Kevin blasted the Fokker as he flew past. He then whirled around onto the tail of the Hun and hit him again with what was the last of his vickers ammunition. The Fokker went down into the ground.

Kevin now climbed up and headed west. He got back to Conteville safely and was pleased to see the other SE's had made it home too.

He climbed down and made his report.

Later on the Major called Kevin into his office.

"A first rate performance again today Lieutenant. I have received notifications regarding your claims however, only one of your five claims can be certified. It was the only one anyone saw, the other four were well over the lines. I don't doubt you accounted for every single one friend but without witnesses.....well you know the score" explained the Major.

Kevin had expected as much, "No worries Sir. As you say, I know the score" said Kevin.

"Good man, that's not the end of the news however. I am still awaiting details of your DFC presentation, however, I have received notification from HQ that they have agreed with me with regards your exemplary performances. You are hereby promoted to full Lieutenant. Congratulations Kevin" confirmed Bowman.

"Thank you sir. I'm honoured" said Kevin.

"I believe you have leadership in you and I want to see you take on more responsibility" said Bowman.

"I'll look forward to it sir." said Kevin.

He departed to the mess to celebrate his news with the others.

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpgA5~2.jpgA6.jpgB1.jpgB2~2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpgB6.jpgB7.jpg

#4572800 - 06/25/21 08:31 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Henri N. du Fay
Spa 94,Adjutant, C.G.
Roissy en France
Aerodrome

7 Victory's
2 Unconfirmed

Jun 25, 1918.

II Section had the duty. conducted a line patrol west side of Sector attacked 2 recon types protected by 4 Tri planes. My wingman and I targeted the 2 seats. The other 3 Spads attacked the 3 wingers. On Zee second pass after I zoomed off ,My wingman went straight in getting too close or Ramming Zee Boche ? Both machines went into the ground. I made one more haft @#$ pass then RTB. Lost 1 Spad and 3 shot up. e/a 1 Recon and 1 Triplane

Attached Files CFS3 2021-06-25 13-03-52-98.jpgCFS3 2021-06-25 13-04-00-56.jpgCFS3 2021-06-25 13-08-16-31.jpg
#4572815 - 06/25/21 10:51 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Carrick - Roasted Bruno sounds like an exotic recipe hah. Alas, Bruno rests in burnt pieces now.
Sheesh, most unfortunate about the wingman. Seems like collisions aren't affecting just Bruno here. At least Henri is alright

Fullofit - Well, some other celebration does it then, with less alcohol. Given the confirmations, I'd say that is more or less warranted anyway.!
Unfortunate, Bruno will indeed not be seeing any fokkers, or anything else for that matter. I guess this desire to get himself an easy kill without taking precautions, even when it was all that easy has caused this downfall.
On the topic of avenging and there being more, an interesting day for Klaus though. First some fighting with rather surprisingly stress-enduring 28 airframes, including a good save of that fokker at the end there. Sure he was probably safe, but still a rather good course of action. Now that he put a comrade in danger, there's no need for perfect positioning. Just shoot him till he's surely dead.
Then the other flight, which did seem a bit tougher for Klaus with all those hits. Being caught off-guard like that cannot be good, seems like Klaus needs to prepare himself better. Fights like that could end in disaster rather quickly if he keeps being caught unaware. Thankfully not this one though, given the still apparent success.
Here's hoping they get confirmed.

Tross - It was turning out like a pretty perfect day for him indeed. Too perfect to be true. That SPAD driver did prove himself, even if he probably didn't get out of that one alive either. Shot up as he was, he clearly seen enough of Bruno's shenanigans and put an end to that. Reckon that should earn him a medal of some kind should he live.... Alas, I guess this is what happens when you get too complacent with an enemy being apparently out of action.
As for Kevin, with the odds he went up against in that first fight, the absence of Gilly was probably a good thing, given he'd have been a hinderance it seems like. Good on B flight for managing to get through that fight with more or less minimal losses and getting four down, half of that being thanks to Kevin of course.
And for the afternoon flight, dear lord! Massacre of those fokkers for sure, but I guess that's just what happens when one lets themselves be caught unaware! It's a shame only one got confirmed, could've gotten himself five in a day. But I think the promotion to lieutenant fully makes up for that, congratulations!

As for myself, I oughta be getting myself a new airman at some point soon. Time for another nation switcheroo it seems!

Page 313 of 366 1 2 311 312 313 314 315 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80