Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4572467 - 06/22/21 02:36 PM Re: New Microprose game, Tiny Combat Arena [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
We need sims like this that are accessible and easy to approach. Imagine a kid who's never flown a combat or civilian sim ever trying to jump into BMS/DCS/IL-2 BOS/Rise of Flight...

My only concern about this one in that regard is the graphics - I don't think a modern kid would be very interested in it. Making it simple but with good graphics seems like it would be a better way to get young people interested.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4572468 - 06/22/21 02:51 PM Re: New Microprose game, Tiny Combat Arena [Re: WangoTango]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Back when I played, very little, "sims" with graphics like that, all I really remember is wishing for better graphics.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4572469 - 06/22/21 02:52 PM Re: New Microprose game, Tiny Combat Arena [Re: Arthonon]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Originally Posted by Arthonon

My only concern about this one in that regard is the graphics - I don't think a modern kid would be very interested in it. Making it simple but with good graphics seems like it would be a better way to get young people interested.
I'm not so sure about that. Looking at the screenshots my first thought was "Roblox" and that is immensely popular among 12 year olds.

Last edited by Johan217; 06/22/21 02:52 PM.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4572470 - 06/22/21 02:59 PM Re: New Microprose game, Tiny Combat Arena [Re: WangoTango]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Throw in some Dire Straits on the next commercial and they'll have a hit! The game will sell itself with those retro vibes. Kids will love it. smile

80s is hip again.

#4572480 - 06/22/21 05:41 PM Re: New Microprose game, Tiny Combat Arena [Re: Arthonon]  
RossUK Offline
RossUK  Offline

Eastbourne, UK
Originally Posted by Arthonon
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
We need sims like this that are accessible and easy to approach. Imagine a kid who's never flown a combat or civilian sim ever trying to jump into BMS/DCS/IL-2 BOS/Rise of Flight...

I always thought Strike Fighters 2 was a sim-lite and had so much fun in it. Sometimes I don't want to load into the sim to do a cold dark start, just load take off, Alt-N and fight!

#4572481 - 06/22/21 05:49 PM Re: New Microprose game, Tiny Combat Arena [Re: RossUK]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by RossUK

I always thought Strike Fighters 2 was a sim-lite and had so much fun in it. Sometimes I don't want to load into the sim to do a cold dark start, just load take off, Alt-N and fight!

In my opinion the Strike Fighters series was the perfect "middle ground" between hardcore sims and arcade sims. The fact that the Strike Fighters sims never became mainstream hits speaks volumes though about what the mainstream gaming community wants and doesn't want.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4572485 - 06/22/21 06:59 PM Re: New Microprose game, Tiny Combat Arena [Re: WangoTango]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Reflecting on the history of flight sims, I think that in the '80s and '90s, computers in general were still very technical, and appealed to a technical crowd, and I think flight simulators were similar, so many computer owners enjoyed the technical aspect of flight simulators. I think the 3D graphics were also an appeal, because it is what many thought of when they thought of cool stuff to do with a computer. Adding in the additional hardware you could get, like a good joystick, and it's something tinkerers would really get into, which, again, was a large percentage of early computer users.

Computers at the time were only capable of so much processing, so the controls and functions had to be scaled down, but they were still complex enough for most to feel like they really mastered something, and it satisfied their connection to feeling like they flew an aircraft, and possibly on a combat mission, without requiring hours of study and prep.

As time went by, more and more people got computers, many less technical, so the demand wasn't as great of a percentage of the market. Along with that, as computers became more capable, simulators got more complex, which, while appealing to some, also alienated many who didn't want to put the extra time and effort into learning something they did for fun.

I also think flight simulators got a bit of a boost from Top Gun and then later, the first Gulf War. Since then, interest in aircraft and the military seems to have waned, along with an interest in history, so there's just not that many out there who feel a desire to get into that area anymore.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.