Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4572312 - 06/20/21 03:32 PM strangers ranking their intellegence  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
I thought this was kind of amusing plus a pretty good example of righteous Karma

The actual video was put together by some entity called Jubilee, which has done several of these self-evaluation experiments. Various Youtube personalities have re-presented the original video with commentary. I thought the two presenters in this version had the most spot-on commentary. Sometimes, you just can't judge a book by its formal education. Enjoy

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4572315 - 06/20/21 03:45 PM Re: strangers ranking their intellegence [Re: Forward Observer]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
That girl on the end was laughing at the military guy when he was talking. Disgusting behavior.

#4572320 - 06/20/21 04:48 PM Re: strangers ranking their intellegence [Re: Forward Observer]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

The Marine is only five points behind the Asian guy who's in first place. Meanwhile, Miss (or is it Ms.?) "I'm Really, Really Smart Because I Have Multiple Degrees and Work in a Place That Makes Covid Tests" is dead last by 11 points and is 19 points behind the Marine. And she probably still walked out thinking she was smarter than he is.

I will disagree with one thing the Marine said, or at least the impression it can give based on how he said it (and I acknowledge that the way he said it was a direct response to the way the question was asked). I disagree with the idea that "only certain people" can do, pretty much, any given job. I believe that with the right training and desire/internal motivation, nearly anyone can learn to do nearly anything.

Arthur Dietrich, the know-it-all detective in the old Barny Miller tv show, and Stan "Wojo" Wojohowicz, the former Marine who generally was portrayed as not very bright, had an interaction in one episode that I think sums it up perfectly. It's been too many years for me to remember it exactly, but it went something like this.

Wojo: Hey, Dietrich. You know a lot of stuff, right?
Dietrich: That's a good way to put it. By virtue of my education I have access to more information, but it doesn't indicate any intrinsic superior intelligence.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4572346 - 06/20/21 10:12 PM Re: strangers ranking their intellegence [Re: vonBaur]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by vonBaur
I believe that with the right training and desire/internal motivation, nearly anyone can learn to do nearly anything.

Outside of the creative arts and sports realms I agree with you.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4572353 - 06/20/21 11:10 PM Re: strangers ranking their intellegence [Re: Forward Observer]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
There are limitations in science that no matter your degrees, qualifications or training, you'll never be able to solve certain problems without a high enough IQ. Physics is realm such as this. Consider what Sir Isaac Newton alone did for mankind, with his inception of both physics and calculus.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 06/20/21 11:10 PM.
#4572355 - 06/21/21 12:35 AM Re: strangers ranking their intellegence [Re: Forward Observer]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida

I don't think that just about anybody can do just about anything given sufficient motivation / training. Not if a reasonable level of competence is expected.
[Linked Image]

Individuals have their natural aptitudes, and education / training can serve to not only accentuate their strong suits, but also help their weaker areas... to a degree. There are many things I could have learned to do if I had wanted to, but there are also things I would not have become competent in regardless of desire or available training.

There are some people who are well rounded enough in the different types of intelligence that they seem to be able to do just about anything they decide to do. Many people do not get dealt such a hand.

#4572358 - 06/21/21 02:36 AM Re: strangers ranking their intellegence [Re: Forward Observer]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
@Cyberkut,

I had composed a post that pretty much said the same thing as you did but probably not as well expressed as you did.

We all have different aptitudes, intelligence levels, and innate abilities that emerge as we grow----and at times no amount of desire or training can overcome some of those factors no matter how much we wish otherwise.

Someone who hates math or has poor math skills is most likely never going to become a mathematician or even an accountant or bookkeeper.

That doesn't mean that they can't excel at something else in life that is equally elusive to others. Then as you pointed out, there are those who excel at just about everything they try while others never excel at anything no matter how hard they try. That's just life and it isn't always fair.

I've used this quote before and have considered making it my signature. It's from the late George Carlin--a comedian who always made me laugh and think at the same time.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of them are stupider than that"

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4572360 - 06/21/21 03:19 AM Re: strangers ranking their intellegence [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I definitely fall under the "Lingustic" category.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4572411 - 06/21/21 06:31 PM Re: strangers ranking their intellegence [Re: Forward Observer]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Then I'm exceptional (and I don't think I am), because I can't think of anything I've attempted that I haven't been at least competent at. Not outstanding mind you, but that's not what I was talking about. Nor, in my opinion, was the tone of the original question, can anyone do your job?

There's a HUGE difference between being able to do a job well and being in the top ten percent of the people in the world at something. And when you cite people like Sir Isaac Newton as an example you're talking about not just the top ten percent. That's more like the top .01%, or higher, of anyone who's ever existed. The same with people like Mozart, Beethoven, da Vinci, Hawking, etc. Maybe a slightly larger percentage when you look at professional athletes

There's no denying that each person has his or her natural talents that sometimes require no particular training at all to put them into that level of excellence. And by the same token everyone has his or her areas in which they'll never be proficient regardless the training and/or desire, which I assume was Blastman's and CyBerkut's point. But again, that was neither my point nor what i said or implied. What I said and what I meant was "nearly anyone can learn to do nearly anything". There was no mention or implication of being among the best in the world...or even in your local area...at all of them. Just simply good enough to hold the job. Again, the point of the original question.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4572428 - 06/21/21 11:25 PM Re: strangers ranking their intellegence [Re: Forward Observer]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

I was always terrible on rollerskates. I did slightly better with rollerblades, but I still sucked. But I wanted it. So I put 25 years into it. Guess what? While compared to most people I'm pretty impressive I still couldn't do what some teenagers do with them, with less than a year experience.

Same with guitar. I sucked, but I wanted it. I put 25 years into it. Again, compared to non-players I might seem impressive, but yet again I've seen teenagers blow me away, and again with less than a year experience.

I have never been inherently good at anything. Always had to work, and work hard, for a long time, if I wanted to develop skill in anything.

Well except for things like reading and motorcycles (and obviously other things too trivial to mention), yes with some things I was kind of a "natural"...

I taught myself how to ride a motorcycle when I was 18 - with zero experience and zero instruction, and I didn't even know how to drive a stick shift car at that time. I just somehow "knew how to do it".

I've also since then (I'm 50 now) taught six people how to ride, and with only one "fail". This guy, he simply just didn't get it (and HE knew how to drive a stick shift car, and was 35 years old, it was just last summer...)

That dude, he just could not get it at all. Just no way. My 30+ years experience as both rider and teacher was nearly worthless - oh he learned some stuff to be sure, but this guy will NEVER be a competent motorcycle rider unless he works it the same way I had to with rollerblades - and even then he'd never, ever be a racer......

We as humans have a certain amount of flexibility in terms of our endeavors and talents we want to reach for, but there's always that certain "hard wiring" that comes into play (for better or worse).

#4572581 - 06/23/21 05:15 PM Re: strangers ranking their intellegence [Re: Forward Observer]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
I will stick by my original statement:

I don't think that just about anybody can do just about anything given sufficient motivation / training. Not if a reasonable level of competence is expected.

There are many tasks / functions that draw upon multiple aptitudes / characteristics, that someone will come up short on due to lacking in one or more ingredients. For instance, I know someone who is a good cook, but would not be a competent short order cook in a busy diner. Why? Because they frequently have the attention span of a cocker spaniel puppy while cooking, and they do not handle pressure all that well.

While I'm arguably competent in English (pay no attention to the occasional spelling / grammar errors!), I would be a terrible translator. I would make a poor musician, as well.

When I spoke of competence, I was mainly thinking of a level of performance such that someone could utilize that skill while earning a living. That is not talking about top percentile performance, but rather doing something well enough to not get injured or cause damage, and to get paid for the finished product / service.

The U.S. military tests people before directing / admitting them into specialties for a reason. They would love to have a force full of people who can do anything, but that isn't how reality plays out.

#4572583 - 06/23/21 05:30 PM Re: strangers ranking their intellegence [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Excellent post CyBerkut!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.