Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 309 of 366 1 2 307 308 309 310 311 365 366
#4571752 - 06/14/21 04:39 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Epower - The trip to Oxford was certainly an entertaining one. Wonderful pictures of the old place both inside and out. Professor Murray certainly seems a curious soul, he seemed to have a very keen interest in Oliver's business. Then a fine catch up with the others over fine food and drinks and as is so often the case, once the jaw is loosened the contents of the heart come pouring out.

As for Kevin, he's enjoying the SE5 certainly, hopefully the squadron will grab a few more Viper versions so he can grab one of them. The social life of the squadron seems very good, I wouldn't put a binge past them for anything.

Lou - Welcome back. Looking forward to Freddy's latest escapades when time allows you.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4571762 - 06/14/21 07:44 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
2nd Lieutenant Kevin Carroll
41 Squadron
Conteville

5 confirmed kills

14th June 1918

Morning sortie

The Major explained that the morning's sortie would be heading out to the lines east of Bailleul.

The weather was very good, bright sun and relatively little wind. A few clouds were around but nothing too untoward.

Kevin took off and formed up with the rest of 'B' flight and they proceeded without incident on the outward leg of the mission.

Kevin was tail-end Charlie in the formation and as they reached the lines and started patrolling around something caught Kevin's eye off to the right. He lost it for a moment......then spotted it again. A glistening, a movement, he followed it and now saw several other specks. They were roughly the same height but seemed to be behind 41 squadron now.

Kevin climbed up. He continued climbing and put himself between the dark specks which were now closing on the rest of 'B' flight and the beaming sun.

He still hadn't been seen by the enemy which he recognised as Albatros scouts. The rest of 'B' flight still hadn't reacted at all yet.

Kevin now dived onto one of the Albatros scouts as they crossed his line of flight. He poured both barrels into him and the Hun rolled and dived.

The formation of Albatros scouts broke up. Kevin went after his original target and dived after him.

He caught up and got behind the German. He blasted the Albatros and saw the pilot slump forward. The Albatros nosed down and went straight into the ground.

He took stock but saw that the remaining Albatros aircraft had reformed and were headed back across their lines.

Kevin now saw the rest of 'B' flight and formed back up. A short while later they headed home.

On landing Kevin met up with the others before heading in. "Did you lot not see those Hun scouts behind us?" said Kevin.

No-one had seen anything other than that Kevin had disappeared.

Kevin shook his head in disbelief 'not much chance for that claim then' he thought as he walked in to clean up.

Afternoon sortie

Major Bowman took the afternoon briefing and confirmed they'd be heading back towards the lines near Bailleul. He emphasised to the squadron about the need for vigilance after this morning's mission. Kevin smirked to himself as the Major confirm the formation and Kevin saw that he was tail-end again.

The weather was still good, a few more clouds had appeared.

'A' and 'B' flight took off together and headed off after forming up and climbing to around 12000 feet.

All was quiet until they'd reached the lines. They'd patrolled for about 10 minutes when Kevin saw a formation of aircraft to the left and a little lower. This time both 'A' and 'B' flights saw the aircraft which now headed towards them.

Kevin saw they were Pfalz scouts and picked a target. He swung around and fired as one flew across his sights. He dived as he saw the Pfalz do the same....'You're not getting away like that' thought Kevin as he opened fire again. The Pfalz dived again but again Kevin stayed with him as the Hun levelled off.

Kevin hit him again and this time must have hit the wires as the Pfalz fell into a spin and spun all the way down into the ground.

Kevin was considerably lower than everyone else now. At that moment he saw another aircraft below him and over the lines. It was another Pfalz but this was a different colour than the previous ones.

He dived down onto the unsuspecting hun and hit him hard. The Pfalz tried to evade Kevin but he was having none of it. He hit him again and the enemy aircraft nosed down and smashed into the ground.

Kevin realised he was on the wrong side of the lines now and decided to ground hop home.

On landing, the others had already just got home. He went in to write his report.

Major Bowman called Kevin to his office in the evening.

"Lieutenant, firstly well done today. We battered those Pfalzs, that's one formation that won't bother us again. As for this morning, sometimes it happens, you see something as clear as day and everyone else misses it. I've been flying scouts since 1916 and I've done the same on several occasions believe me" said the Major.

"I understand sir, I'm just glad they didn't do us any harm." said Kevin.

"You're a good chap Carroll, I don't know why you left joining the RFC so long but I'm very glad you did in the end" said the Major.

"Thank you sir, I requested a transfer several times before finally getting a move" said Kevin.

"Well, the infantry's loss is the RAF's gain Lieutenant" said Bowman.

"Unfortunately your claim from this morning cannot be confirmed. Nor can your second Pfalz claim from this afternoon. No one saw either I'm afraid. Your first Pfalz has been confirmed though." continued the Major.

"I expected as much sir, c'est la vie" said Kevin.

"That's an admirable attitude Lieutenant, one which will help you stay alive. That and ability and, well, your showing that in abundance Lieutenant Carroll" finished the Major.

"Thank you sir. I've every intention of seeing this through" said Kevin who saluted and left.

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpgA5.jpga6.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpgB6.jpgB7.jpg

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4571767 - 06/14/21 08:15 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Henri N. du Fay
Spa 94,Sgt
Plessis-Belleville
Aerodrome

4 Victory's
2 Unconfirmed

June 14, 1918

Balloon Defense: No contact

Line Patrol: Engaged 3 e/a with II Sections 6 Spads. Claim 2 Scouts Destroyed for 3 damaged and a pilot Wnd. The Recon type got away. Our Fearless Leader was not happy. No Hun for me I was slow diving down, but can confirm another kill for our Lt. Flight Leed.

Attached Files CFS3 2021-06-14 12-51-20-24.jpgCFS3 2021-06-14 12-54-14-31.jpgCFS3 2021-06-14 12-57-43-77.jpg
#4571796 - 06/14/21 11:57 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, looking forward to pit that new toy Klaus received against those nimble N.28’s!
That was both brave and foolish to singlehandedly attack a flock of Albatroses. They are obsolete but can still do a lot of damage and with no backup from his own flight it could have gone south quickly, if the rest of the Huns attacked together. What the heck were they doing anyways, performing in an air show?
Now, the afternoon show was more like it. Those Pfalzes didn’t know what hit them.
Hmm, maybe Kevin should send a bottle of Canadian Club to the claims board? That might have helped with those denied claims. Congrats on at least getting one of those Pfalzes.

Epower, you know me well and what I fear most.
It looks like Oliver will have to face his fears and finally confront Eliza. I just wish he’d get his sh!t together and think for himself instead of relying on other people’s advice about her. The Matron, the Aunt, Clarissa, Smokey, now Tom. I’m sure I’m forgetting others that he’d rather take advice, rather than his own.
Lovely piece about Hogwar … Oxford. What luck meeting the professor and getting the exclusive tour. Winningstadt could find a place to call his own there. Maybe after the war?

Catch, “doing very well” usually is followed by: “ … and he was doing so well …” We’re a superstitious bunch and frown upon praise winkngrin

Lou, good to see you around. Please keep that bloodthirsty beast away from us for a little longer. Distract her with some unsuspecting pilots from WOTR.
BTW, isn’t nurse Ellison due for a visit in Blighty?

14 June, 1918
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Feldwebel Klaus Gustav Raben
Fokker D.VII
6 confirmed kills

The journey to their new home took the entire day yesterday. When they arrived at Montingen, they were greeted by a sight like no other. The line of new aeroplanes in front of the low hangars looked magnificent. August Raben told his pilots to get acquainted with their new Fokkers.
“- There is one for each and every one of you. Just take care of them, we don’t have many spares.”
The rest of the day was spent on settling in, painting their new mounts and … getting comfortable in their château. That’s right, their very own château.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 1918-06-14.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4571820 - 06/15/21 11:23 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Carrick - Henri and his Escadrille did their job there. Break up the enemy formation and send them packing. Shame Henri couldn't add to his total but he's alive to try again.

Fullofit - Finally, a Fokker to call your very own!.....well.... Klaus's anyway. I think he'll make mincemeat of the SPADs. His greatest challenge may well come from......dare I say it....the 'S' word that ends in 'trutters'. Although there'll be Breguets all over the place down near Verdun as well. Exciting times.

I really don't know what my lot were thinking of to be honest. Home? Hot Cross buns? Homogenised milk? All I know is, I was the last man and those Huns were catching up. I thought when I climbed away at least one of the Huns would follow me but they didn't. I reckoned I'd have one diving pass at one of them and then scarper.

#4571864 - 06/15/21 06:24 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Albert – Kevin is doing a wonderful job despite the failure of the claims board to cooperate. One of my earlier pilots, a Canadian, considered sending them some Canadian whisky but they are apparently not fond of the stuff.

Carrick – Henri is doing a good job of keeping himself in one piece. The confirmed claims will follow.

Fullofit – Christmas has come early. It is frightening to think of the wave of destruction that will follow once Klaus gets his hands on a D7!

Lou – we have missed you but it is good to see that Freddie is safe and well.

EPower – I thoroughly enjoyed the Oxford experience and second Fullofit's suggestion that it is just the ticket for Oliver after the war.

Catch -- great to see you dropping by the mess!

MFair -- Here is a good luck wish that you evade the grasp of the Gong Fairy's curse.

War Journal of Captain George Ewan MacAlister, DSO, DSC
74 Squadron, RAF
Clairmarais, France

Part 49

[Linked Image]
Countryside near Clairmarais

Major Caldwell kept up a brisk pace. Having longer legs than him, I struggled to keep in step in the proper military manner. My stride muscles were barking in pain as we rounded the curve in the country lane. Here the trees began to open up and I could see the brick church and spire of Clairmarais village. We were bound for a little café called L’Oie grise, known for its wonderful pastries.

“So, tell me what you were thinking during that patrol yesterday afternoon,” the squadron commander said to me. The question surprised me, but I knew what he was after. I stopped to light a cigarette, more to gather my thoughts and to break the pace then because I needed a smoke.

“There were six of us. Taffy’s flight followed a mile behind and a thousand feet above. At 17,000 feet I began to lose Hicks and Dolan. They seem to be struggling with their engines. That’s when I saw the first Huns.” Caldwell knew this, I’m sure. He had been flying inside right on that patrol. I took a puff and continued. “I was counting the specks approaching from the south. At first it looked like five or six, but then I saw a cluster above. By my count there were fifteen or sixteen in all. That’s when I turned to the south-west to allow Taffy’s flight to rejoin us. But Taffy sailed on unaware, heading deeper into Hunland. The enemy machines drew closer and I could tell from the shape and dimension of their wings that they were Fokker biplanes. They were between one and two thousand feet higher than us and outnumbered us nearly three to one.”

“Did you think of attacking?” asked Caldwell.

“Of course I did,” I replied. “But not for long. You remember that I began to climb and we started to lose Hicks and Dolan again. That’s when I levelled off and turned west. I hoped the Huns would follow us over our lines and we could spot Taffy returning along his beat. The Huns had spotted us and turned towards us, so I angled away to the north in order to preserve the possibility of spotting Taffy again. I also hoped that only some of the Huns would follow us.”

“It’s here,” said Caldwell. He was pointing up a narrow side street just past the church. I saw the sign for the café. It was three in the afternoon and the place was not crowded. We took a table by the window and ordered tea and the little almond biscuits called financiers. “So again, tell me what you were thinking,” said Grid.

“All fifteen of the sods came after us. They stayed above us, too. Because they followed us north, we were unable to reconnect with Taffy’s flight. I thought that eventually some or all of the Huns would turn back and we might have a chance to turn about and pick off a straggler or two.”

“Still, you didn’t attack.”

“Dammit, boss! Mick says it best – ‘Always above, seldom on the level, never below.’ If I turned about to attack we would have been outnumbered three to one in the Huns would have had the height advantage. Against the new Fokkers, that’s a wonderful way to lose your whole bloody flight in five minutes. I stand by my decision.”

Major Caldwell dipped his biscuit in his tea and nodded pensively. “You are most probably correct. Just be sure you don’t send the wrong message to your men.”

I wanted to ask what kind of message they would think about as they rode their flaming machines to hell. Instead, I shrugged my shoulders, smiled, and said, “Of course.”

Attached Files Countryside near Clairmarais.jpg
#4571882 - 06/15/21 08:37 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Raine - Kevin's doing well, the claims board on the other hand are having a 'giraffe' as they say in London. Today's sorties will confirm that.

So 'Grid' Caldwell gives MacAlister a grilling and a half and for what purpose, to give him some two-bit soundbite about giving positive vibes to the others? MacAlister was right to say his piece and did well to control his temper.

41 Squadron
Conteville

6 confirmed kills

15th June 1918

Morning sortie

Captain Eric Stephens took the morning briefing and explained that he would be leading 'B' flight over to the lines around Bethune again. He explained that the Major had a meeting with the brass this morning but would be back this afternoon.

Stephens was an Aussie from Bendigo, Victoria, the same age as Kevin, he'd joined the RFC in 1917 and was kept on as an instructor until he got a transfer to 41 Squadron in March 1918.

The weather was perfect with clear blue skies without a cloud to be seen.

Kevin and the rest of 'B' flight took off in glorious sunshine once more, despite the early hour.

After forming and climbing they headed out east. The visibility was excellent but despite this or perhaps because of it, they found nothing throughout their patrol.

They landed safely about 90 minutes later.

Afternoon sortie

Major Bowman had returned from his meeting and took the briefing for the afternoon sortie. 'B' flight would be heading down towards Arras.

A few clouds had appeared but otherwise the weather was still good.

They took off and headed south east towards the lines.

The patrol passed quietly until they were almost ready to call it a day. Kevin saw a dark speck over to the left......then another....then another, above the lines. They appeared in a loose formation if in any formation at all.

Kevin was on Major Bowman's wing and signalled. They had all seen the other aircraft now and headed towards them.

Kevin now saw they were Albatros scouts and headed straight at one of them. He fired and scored hits as the Hun zoomed past. He swung around but the Albatros had dived.

He dived after it as the enemy aircraft ran for home. Kevin throttled up and the SE raced down towards the Albatros.

After a chase he caught up and blasted the enemy aircraft. The Albatros rolled and tried to dive again but Kevin kept hitting him. The Hun levelled out, trailing smoke and a final burst hit the pilot. The Albatros nosed down and went into the ground.

Kevin looked around but couldn't see any other SE's. He did spot another Hun though. It was over to his left and Kevin turned and went after him. The Hun turned and ran on seeing Kevin coming towards him but the SE ate up the distance between them quickly.

He fired a burst into him but his Lewis gun ran dry. He hit him again with the Vickers. The Albatros dived and ran and the SE went with him but Kevin took the opportunity to reload the Lewis.

He came up behind the German and blasted him. He clearly hit the pilot who slumped in his cockpit and the Albatros went down into the ground.

Kevin looked around but saw nothing else. He headed for home. He had crossed the lines a little but not too much and he was home within 20 minutes.

Most of the other SE's had already made it back when he landed. He climbed down and went to make his report about his two Albatros scouts.

Later on the Major spoke to him. "Well done again today Lieutenant Carroll. We did a job on those Albatros scouts, we claimed four without loss." said the Major.

"A good result by any standards sir" said Kevin.

"Yes, but unfortunately, no-one can confirm your two claims. They fell over the lines and despite contacting the local commanders, no-one saw them. I am sorry Lieutenant, it's a fighter pilot's lot I'm afraid" said Bowman.

"I understand sir, I'm disappointed of course, but ultimately, it doesn't change anything. There are two enemy aircraft that will no longer bother us, and tomorrow if more appear, I'll do the bloody same again" said Kevin.

Bowman smiled, "You're a level headed fellow Carroll, that's a rarity in this war believe me. Anyway, come on, we've a celebration to partake in".

"Celebration sir?" said Kevin.

"Yes, you have five confirmed kills, six now in fact. You're officially an 'ace'. I know the others mentioned holding some sort of bash so why not? Come on, you can tell me your memories of Manchester" said Major Bowman.

A riotous evening in the mess followed.

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpgB6.jpgScreenshot_20210615-204845~2.png

#4571895 - 06/16/21 12:08 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, you could be a fortune teller. You are absolutely right about those two-seaters, as you will see in today’s instalment. Klaus was very excited about his mission, but he had no idea what was in store for him.
As for Kevin, another run of the mill day. A quiet mission and one full of Albatroses. It’s just too bad he has nothing to show for it, but that’s how it sometimes goes. One day you get all claims confirmed, the next … you know. Better luck tomorrow!

Raine, I had high hopes for Klaus when the new Fokkers arrived, but as you will see next, it wasn’t meant to be. A rather unsuccessful day for the German pilot.
It looks like it was an uneventful day for George as well, but of his own making. Avoiding numerically superior foe is the right thing to do and I doubt the men he leads will think any less of him for doing so. But the most important question to ask is: how were those financiers?

15 June, 1918 11:20
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Feldwebel Klaus Gustav Raben
Fokker D.VII
6 confirmed kills

The men were anxious to try their new machines. Klaus had high hopes for his shiny Fokker. Over were the days when all enemy planes would concentrate on his inferior Pfalz. No one would think he’s an easy target anymore. “Gott mit uns!”
Their first mission was ground forces support along the Front sector south of Nomeny. An easy job and probably uneventful Justin go by the sector activity.
They were approaching the Front when the Schwarmfürher gave signal to attack. They all started to climb to meet the enemy that was now approaching from above. Klaus was confident he’ll get at least one of those large Bréguets, but the truth was, all the enemy planes ganged up on him. Swooping down and climbing up again out of reach. He had three of the beasts on his tail and no one was moving a finger to help him. Shots rang out and Raben noticed the smell of petrol. The trail of escaping fuel confirmed his fears.
“- Just great!” Klaus thought to himself. “- What’s next? A bullet to the head?” Obviously he won’t have to deal with a fire. Everything flammable is escaping his plane. Then he heard a terrifying crack and his plane entered a spin. He looked to his starboard to find a missing lower plane.
“- This is a fine how do you do, I’m going to die!” He panicked. Out of desperation he pulled on the throttle.
“- There was no rush to where I’m going. Why get there at full throttle?” Klaus thought to himself. Incredibly the reduced torque of the engine levelled out his plane. He had control! His Fokker was flying level with a dash of rudder applied. He wasn’t out of the woods yet. In fact, he was heading straight for them at his current heading. He looked for an open field and gently aimed at the spot. The bloody two-seaters were right behind him, trying to catch up. He finally noticed another Fokker come and swat the bombers off his tail. Klaus said a quiet prayer and concentrated on landing his crippled machine. He was nearly down, but it looked like he’s not going to clear a row of trees in front of him. He gently pulled up and barely glided over them. Now, for a perfect three-point landing. He stalled the machine too early and it began to bank to the right. The landing gear hit the ground and collapsed. The Fokker slid on the turf and the top right wing dug into the ground. His plane was now stationary. A two-point landing, but a landing he was glad to walk away from. Klaus was lucky this time.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4571902 - 06/16/21 02:54 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Henri N. du Fay
Spa 94,Sgt
Plessis-Belleville
Aerodrome

4 Victory's
2 Unconfirmed

June 15, 1918.

Intercept: 8 a/c up in 2 flights. Caught up with 5 two seats on our side. Knocked down 2 e/a. 1 Spad destroyed + 2 Damaged. I made a good pass firing off 160 rds but he didnt go down. My wingman got him.

Attached Files CFS3 2021-06-15 19-39-47-86.jpgCFS3 2021-06-15 19-41-49-59.jpg
#4571908 - 06/16/21 04:19 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Albert - Tail End Charlie is a bit breezy but at least there's less danger of collision. Aggressive. Most aggressive. Your man's not shy I'll say that but 1 v 5 against the sons of Tydeus is a tall ask, even if the Huns are novices. Alas, it looks like the claims board had their minds on the upcoming ladies night and round-filed Kevin's claims. Shame about those two Albs on the 15th. Those long tail chases into Hunland often end with unwitnessed kills. Looking forward to the report on what will no doubt be an historic evening.

Fullofit - Nice new bus Klaus has there... Again with the 2-seaters! Holy Scheiße, you pulled the verdammt wing off! And then you landed it. Welcome to the club!!

Yeah, I know what you mean. What can I say? Oliver's got a bit of a blind spot when it comes to Eliza. As for the life academic, let's try and survive the war before we start writing Appendices to Oliver's Tale. Cigar Ash and Tulle...

Raine - Grid doesn't do subtlety very well. It's just not his thing. He's more of a "go straight at 'em." type. Mac has the right idea even if it gets his CO's nose out of joint. Aggressive has it's place but there's no point in charging to one's death.

Carrick - Stayin' alive... you know the rest of it. Henri is getting close to that magic 5th victory. Keep flying smart and it will come.

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 87

16 May 1918
Royal Automobile Club
Pall Mall, London.

A delicious breakfast. Generous rashers of bacon quickly banished any aftereffects of last night’s whiskey. Thoughts of Eliza, on the other hand, lingered stubbornly.

All that changed when Colonel Beor, to my horror, asked me to address the assembled Cadets. I thought back to all the visiting officers who’d given us the ‘take it to the Hun for King and Country’ bit during my training. Gasbags most of them. The curriculum at the School of Aeronautics had improved since my time. Some of it actually was useful information about how an aeroplane flew. I remembered my own frustration at the inherent uselessness of the subject matter. My conversations with the AMs and Riggers, however, those were another matter entirely.

Colonel Beor’s introduction did nothing to calm my nerves.

“One- and one-half years ago, the officer you see before you trained under my command at the School of Instruction at Reading, where he was a Cadet not unlike yourselves. We know him today as Captain O. A. Winningstad, VC, DSO, MC.”

Merciful Gods!

I was less terrified facing the Circus than I was standing in front of these men.

“Good morning,” I began. Then my mind when utterly blank.

Don’t make a meal of it, Oliver. Just tell them what you think. You thought this place a waste of time. Are they any different?

“You’ve all asked the question, ‘Why am I here, at this No. 2 School of Aeronautics?’ All I want to do is fly. I crossed an ocean to fight the Hun, and my mates from Down Under traveled halfway around the world to do the same. Everyone knows this. Why haven’t the brass hats put me in a bloody aeroplane already?!”

There were some smiles and silent nodding among the crowd.

“Why? Because yours will not be a solitary war effort. The days of the lone pilot are gone west, along with most of the lone pilots. Those stories you read in the papers, exploits of our gallant airmen, that’s not the real picture. When you fight the Hun, you’ll do it in massed formations, scores of aircraft stacked up in layers to 20,000 feet, all trying to kill each other. That’s the fight you’re heading into and the line between life and death, victory and defeat, will be razor thin. Teamwork is what will keep you alive long enough to help win the war. If you do nothing else here, study the craft of your Riggers and Ack Ems. Learn their language of the aeroplane because it is they, no less than your fellow pilots who will keep you alive. Good luck to you all.”

I replayed the scene over in my head on the train back to London, thinking about what I could have said. The entire experience occurred with little sense of conscious thought. I just opened my mouth and the words flew out. It wasn’t awful but I might have done things differently. At least the Cadet’s eyes didn’t glass over. If ever get stuck with a command, I’ll need to take greater care and make a better job of speaking.

Wonderful to see Tom again. I hope the Scarecrow gets his wish and gets back to the front. He was right about Eliza. I must find her and have it out, no matter the consequences. No more secrets.

Walked the mile and a half from Paddington to Selfridge’s where I frittered away an hour seeking a gift for Eliza.

Outside the RAC, I spent a good 10 minutes engaging the Porter in conversation. By the end I’m sure the poor fellow was utterly confused by my questions but I needed to be seen by the watchers, who, if they had failed to track me to Oxford would now be back in tow.

Two letters awaited me. The first from Cal. The boys of 85 have orders for France! They leave next Wednesday. The second was from Colonel Rees:

[Linked Image]

Just like Mac to pull a stunt like that and not mention a word of it. That’s Mac all right. I’ve got a sinking feeling that my next posting is back to Ayrshire so I can rag him in person then.

Wired Cal inviting the Three Musketeers to a farewell dinner at Rules tomorrow night then spent the remainder of the afternoon in the gymnasium practicing. I’ll only get one chance when the time comes. My strikes must be precise.

The Savoy Grill at 6.00. From there to Rules, where I paced about in front for 15 minutes as though waiting for someone. Dined alone upstairs. The fresh Mersea oysters proved irresistible, even if it was a little late in the season. After two dozen I was feeling exceptionally vigorous. The pork chop with a potato-apple rosti and topped with a vinegar mustard sauce was the perfect follow-up. I drank lightly. The boys from 85 were coming tomorrow night and I needed to be ready.

Off to Murray's on foot. Rain threatened but held off. Mr. Andrews was waiting in his cab. I approached and arranged for him to collect me in 30 minutes, one block to the north at Tenison Court. I didn’t want any drunken patrons poaching his services. Murray's was crowded as per usual. No persons of interest.

True to the sporting nature he demonstrated chasing down Abigail’s taxi, Mr. Andrews was game for what I had planned for the coming nights. He drove me up to The International where I took a secluded table in the corner of the bar. I was not disturbed. After that it was back to the RAC for the night.

17 May 1918
Royal Automobile Club
Pall Mall, London

Up early. Breakfast at the RAC. Went shopping for an Eliza gift. Struck out again. Wire from Cal accepting dinner invitation. I’ll meet them at the Savoy bar.

Hand to hand practice in the afternoon. I found the perfect training partner in a Lieutenant of the Cheshires. He was a powerful, thickly set fellow, 5’10 and at least 220 pounds. Quick too. Not an easy man to bring down. I hope tomorrow night’s opponent isn’t built like him. I need to do enough damage with my first blows so I don’t end up in a wrestling match. I want answers, not an unconscious assailant at my feet.

Relaxing swim then a long time in the Turkish bath. The Frigidarium seemed unusually cold but it was to the good as it led to a deep and dreamless nap.

The Three Musketeers were at the Savoy when I arrived, and by the look of things, they’d taken the early train.

[Linked Image]

“Ripper!” cried Springs, as I approached their table. He poured me a fresh flute of champagne which by some trick of his technique did not foam over.

“I bear greetings and message to you from Mac,” said Cal.
“Which one? I know a number of them now, including this excellent fellow,” I said indicating Grider.
“One Malcolm Charles McGregor, late of No. 54 Squadron,” replied Cal. “Mac says ‘Tell Ripper to keep the bloody wings on.’ ”

Mac was with 85 Sqn. now. I’d forgotten. He was in hospital for many months after he crashed last June and fractured his jaw so badly.
“A good man, Mac. You’re lucky to have him,” I replied. “He’s one hell of a pilot.”

The boys queried me briefly for the obvious story but I told them to get it from McGregor. When we left for Rules, the Three Musketeers were surprisingly steady on their feet considering how much Champagne they’d consumed. They wouldn’t hear it when I tried to cover the tab.

“Drinks are on us, Ripper. Dinner is on you.”

We sat at the same booth on the banquette wall that I’d shared with Clarissa, except this time I sat in the central spot she occupied so I could survey the room. All three were chomping at the bit to get to France. They filled me in on how they’d wrangled a spot with 85 Squadron with some help from Major Bishop and Geoff Dwyer of the USAS.

“You’re in the right place with the RFC,” said Mac. “We’d transfer in a heartbeat if we could. The British are tops and their brass treat us much better than the tin hat regulars who come from American Headquarters.”

“That goes for their women too.” said Springs. “These London women are in a class by themselves. They are good sports, good looking, good dancers, well educated, act like ladies, and they don’t sit around and worry about their honor all the time. They aren’t a bit conceited about the matter as they all are at home. Virtue over here isn’t even its own reward.”

As the dinner went on, I learned that Mac Grider and Billie Carleton are engaged! That didn’t take long. The news sure put paid to any ideas I had about warning Mac off. He’s over the moon about her so I’m keeping my trap shut about Reginald’s parties. Every girl has a past and hers was none of my affair.

As if on cue, the waiter arrived with two bottles of a fine vintage Champagne. Champagne that none of us had ordered.

[Linked Image]
“With the compliments of Mr. Zed,” said the waiter.”

Exactly like the last time. What was that French expression for reliving a moment?

I pressed the waiter. “My good man can you direct me to Mr. Zed. This is the second time he has sent me champagne and I should like to thank him."
“I am sorry, sir. Mr. Zed departed some time ago,” he replied.

Who the hell is Mr. Zed?!

“To Mr. Zed, our mysterious benefactor!”

We drank yet another toast, this time to Mac and Billie. Over the top of my glass, I saw a familiar figure making to leave the restaurant.

“Mac, let me out!” I cried, giving him a not so gentle shove with my shoulder. A third of his champagne sloshed out of the flute.

“Ok, ok. Hold your horses, Ripper!”
“Quickly, man!” I practically knocked Mac over as he stepped out of the booth to let me by.
“Do you need the loo, Ripper?” inquired Cal.

The man had gathered his coat now. It was definitely the beetle-eyed man I'd seen with Abigail at Murray’s. The man Clarissa slapped. I followed as close as I dared as he walked out of Rules and into a waiting car. The car door opened; I saw the man inside briefly. Heavy build. Dark features, hawk nose, and sharp hooded eyes. The white Van Dyke beard was unchanged. He was bareheaded but he was the man I’d seen in October - the one who’d tipped his hat to me as I waited for Clarissa at Rules.

[Linked Image]

“She must have been a real dish, Ripper. You d*mn near knocked me on my arse and I’ve got 20 pounds on you,” said Mac when I returned to our table.

“I’m sorry, Mac. I thought I saw someone I knew. You didn’t lose too much champagne I hope.”

Dinner concluded and we caught a taxi to Murray’s. I didn’t stay long. The boys looked like they were pretty well oiled and planned to keep going.

“I’ll say goodbye here,” I said. I wanted to leave them with something. The hard won experience of the last 18 months, the sage advice from Stewpot, Struggy and the others; all of it raced around my head. So too did the memorable tutelage of Captain Johnson-Smythe, my instructor at the School of Special Flying in Gosport. Even now I could remember his raunchy aphorisms verbatim.

“The war isn’t going anywhere. No use trying to win it the first month you’re in France. Like sex, it’s best you take your time and learn the game. You go rushing in headlong, it’s too much too soon and everything ends badly.”

“You’re one of the good ones, Ripper,” said Springs. “Thanks for everything.”

I shook their hands and wished them well. I sure hope I see them again.

Mr. Andrews was in his usual spot near Tenison Court. Driving back to the RAC, we went over the arrangements for tomorrow night.

“I had a dekko at that particular location not one hour ago, sir. I can keep the car there without ‘rousing any suspicion.”

“You remember the time?” I asked

“Ten o’clock. Good luck, sir.”

Last edited by epower; 06/16/21 11:42 AM.
#4571915 - 06/16/21 08:23 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia

Just give me a moment to digest 6000+ ripping yarns and I'll be with you chaps presently. I am familiar with Mr Springs and his carousing. Perhaps he was the inspiration for Jay Gatsby. I am, however, unfamiliar with the mysterious Mr Zed. I do hope his intentions are pure.

#4571921 - 06/16/21 10:05 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Lost me lower wing y'know, landed a bit awkward, but what is it the Tommies say?... ''piece of cake''

#4571928 - 06/16/21 12:57 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fullofit - If I was a woman I'd have probably been called, Clare......Clare Voyant. Poor Klaus, those Breguets didn't give him a chance. It doesn't matter how good your steed is if they stick a bullet in it's backside in the first five seconds. Those two seaters knew what they were doing. Boom and zoom, give the next one a go. Gott definitely was mit uns with that escape with a wing missing and then when he landed for it to dig in rather than overturn. Phhhhhhew.

Carrick - Henri keeps hitting them. Surely one is going to fall soon for him.

Epower - A nice letter from Lionel Rees but probably not what Oliver wants to hear..... basically....'come and work with me as an instructor'. He needs that active posting sooner rather than later before someone takes Rees' advice. Not before he's had a chance to catch up with Eliza though. Oliver certainly eats well, a gorgeous meal, Oysters and Pork Chop in a mustard sauce. Then a great catch up with some fellow Americans before they leave for the front. But as so often in this tale, events take a turn for the eerie. Who is Mr Zed.....and is the bearded fellow something to do with Oliver being followed. If so he was careless being seen, he is such a striking figure.

#4571972 - 06/16/21 06:54 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Trooper117: Lost a lower wing ? Yikes !

#4571978 - 06/16/21 07:47 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
41 Squadron
Conteville

6 confirmed kills

16th June 1918

Kevin was woken by a tapping on the door..... "Lieutenant Carroll..... Lieutenant Carroll sir.....it's 7am. Captain Stephens is holding the briefing in 30 minutes sir. Tea and bacon sandwiches are available in the mess sir" said Corporal Didcott.

"Right.....thank you Corporal" said Kevin, with a mouth as dry as a dust cloud.

The previous evening had been most pleasurable. The cooks had rustled up some beef steaks and with the melted fat from the meat, managed to make some wonderous roast potatoes.

Then the drinking had started, the Canadians had lined up several bottles of whisky and the Brits had done likewise.

As well as Fred McCall and the others, Kevin had spent an hour in conversation with Major Bowman.

They had talked about Manchester, with Bowman confirming he was from Stretford and had fond memories of Oxford Road. Kevin responded likewise confirming that's were his university was. He'd studied history there and fancied a career as a lecturer if the flying stopped.

Bowman confirmed he'd been at the same school as Kipling, then onto Oxford and had joined the Royal Warwickshires when the war started.

He'd talked fondly of his time with 29 Squadron flying DH2's which is where he'd first met James McCudden. Then he'd gone to 56 Squadron, an elite unit flying the first SE5's led by Albert Ball. Then McCudden had joined, Arthur Rhys-Davids, Winningstad, Hoidge, Muspratt....fine company and fine flyers.

Eventually the whisky and champagne had rendered meaningful conversation impossible and they all spent the remaining time singing songs. Some cleaner than others.

Kevin dressed and made his way to the mess.

Morning sortie

Captain Stephens explained he'd be taking the briefing and leading 'B' flight on a patrol over to the Bethune lines once more.

The weather had changed and thick clouds and rain were to be Kevin's accompaniment although there was hope the strong winds would blow the squalls away after lunch.

They took off, formed up and climbed to around 12000 feet before heading out. They'd climbed above the rain at that height.

The patrol went without incident and they landed back at Conteville some 90 minutes later.

Afternoon sortie

The weather gods had relented and the rain had indeed cleared away. Bright sunshine replaced it although there were several thick cloud banks around.

Kevin had grabbed a light lunch and was walking across to the briefing room when the airfield alarm sounded.

Fred McCall and 'Dozy' Claxton were just behind Kevin. All three ran to their aircraft which had been refueled and rearmed ready for the afternoon sortie.

"Start the engines!" yelled Kevin as he ran. The flak had already opened up as he jumped into his crate.

A few moments later he was in the air and climbing for all he was worth. McCall and Claxton were in the air now as well.

The enemy bombers were already dropping their bombs as Kevin headed upwards. He saw the enemy two seaters were Rumplers and by the time Kevin was getting near they had formed up again.

He headed for the leader and got underneath him and began climbing slowly up. The plan worked and he peppered the unsuspecting Hun hard. The gunner was able however and fired a burst which ripped into Kevin's wing. Kevin blasted the Rumpler again and this time both the gunner and the pilot slumped over.

The Rumpler plummeted down and smashed into the ground. Kevin came around but looked at the damage to his wing.

He decided against another pass and headed home.

He could see two more SE's tailing the Huns..... McCall and Claxton.

He landed safely and 15 minutes later McCall and Claxton landed too.

Kevin reported his damage and submitted his report. McCall and Claxton were also claiming downed Rumplers.

The airfield had taken a proper pounding, two hangers had collapsed and the others damaged. All of the pilots helped clear up.

Later on Major Bowman confirmed Kevin's claim, Bill Claxton had witnessed it as well as McCall's whilst McCall had witnessed Claxton's.

This left McCall on 9 kills, Kevin on 7 and Claxton on 6....all miles behind Bowman's 26 of course.

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpgScreenshot_20210616-160858~2.pngScreenshot_20210616-194259~2.png

#4571979 - 06/16/21 07:55 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Henri N. du Fay
Spa 94,Sgt
Plessis-Belleville
Aerodrome

4 Victory's
2 Unconfirmed

June 16, 1918.

Line Patrol: Our 9 a/c met up with 2 flights of 4 over NML a Bash at Zee Boche V struts. A wild le Melee ensued . I got in some good shooting but at one time I had two on me tail. A close call. The Esc claimed 3 e/a shot down. 2 Spads Lost. Mine might have went down but didnt see it crash so no claim. Scouts were Blue and Red nose ?

Attached Files CFS3 2021-06-16 12-21-49-83.jpg
#4571985 - 06/16/21 10:10 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

As usual, I’m a bit behind again. As we are in for a rainy weekend, which puts ranch work to an end, hopefully this weekend.

And now to get this over with.
Leutnant Ludwig Kemp
June 16, 1918
Flush from his 17th victory, a flamer near Ypres, flight Eins met a flight of Camels head on. Ludwig was on one in an instant and had him smoking. The next instant he was gone. A collision with friend or foe he did not know or see coming. It was over. There was nothing left to bury or put to rest. His remains were mixed with all the other brave young men in NML. Remembered only be family and Brothers in Arms.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4571987 - 06/16/21 10:26 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: MFair]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
MFair, So sorry to lose Ludwig. I was about to write up his EK1 citation but the curse of the Gong Fairy didn't wait that long. Hope you have a great weekend.

#4571992 - 06/17/21 12:15 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

MFair - Oh bloody Hell. Ludwig didn't last two missions after the gong. The curse is real I tell you, but maybe like the Gods of old, it only has power if we believe in it... I'm very sorry about your man. Such and interesting backstory too.

[Linked Image]

#4571994 - 06/17/21 12:54 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Thanks for the condolences gents. You know when you have that pilot you get comfortable with. He is having some success. He has had close calls but always seems to survive and you get the feeling he is going to make it. Then all of a sudden, BAM! You have all had the same experience, sitting there looking at the screen dumbfounded thinking “Well S#*t!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
Page 309 of 366 1 2 307 308 309 310 311 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse