Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
#4570992 - 06/04/21 05:41 PM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
RossUK Online cowboy
RossUK  Online Cowboy

Eastbourne, UK
And yet if a certain other forum member posted the X-Files comment you would no doubt have relished posting an acerbic comment about it.

If you have nothing coherent to say on this thread I would take your own advice and not visit the thread again.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4570993 - 06/04/21 05:42 PM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: RossUK]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by RossUK
And yet if a certain other forum member posted the X-Files comment you would no doubt have relished posting an acerbic comment about it.

If you have nothing coherent to say on this thread I would take your own advice and not visit the thread again.

Dude, relax. If it bothers you that much just put me on your ignore list. Trust me, I won't lose any sleep over that.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/04/21 05:44 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4570994 - 06/04/21 05:44 PM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
RossUK Online cowboy
RossUK  Online Cowboy

Eastbourne, UK
I'm chilled mate. Just saying it like I see it.

Have a great weekend.

#4570995 - 06/04/21 05:46 PM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
RossUK Online cowboy
RossUK  Online Cowboy

Eastbourne, UK
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by RossUK

Dude, relax. If it bothers you that much just put me on your ignore list. Trust me, I won't lose any sleep over that.

Nah, I like your views on films/TV.

#4571047 - 06/05/21 11:42 AM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Blade_RJ]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
Originally Posted by TerribleTwo

I think the US Military isnt going to reveal their modern technology.

reveal their modern tech ? you mean https://www.reddit.com/r/BirdsArentReal/
its out there already https://www.audubon.org/news/are-bi...nes-so-says-new-conspiracy-theory-making
Are Birds Actually Government-Issued Drones? So Says a New Conspiracy Theory Making Waves (and Money)

Do you have a link to the US Military's most advanced drones?

I have a couple drones that run on small batteries, and they can fly 35 mph, change direction on a dime. And these are the low end Mavic Mini drones that are around $500.

Just imagine what one can do with a $1.2 billion drone.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4571050 - 06/05/21 12:49 PM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by TerribleTwo

Just imagine what one can do with a $1.2 billion drone.

I doubt the Pentagram, with it's "highly efficient" R&D and procurement folks could make a competitor for the Mavic for less than $3 Billion.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4571054 - 06/05/21 01:58 PM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: wormfood]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted by wormfood
Elon Musk never sleeps judging by his work ethic so he must have at least some alien DNA inside of him.

I don't know about Elon, but from what I saw of Bo Jackson back in the day, he may be all or part Kryptonian.

Coming in late to this thread, and this deserves highlight, as it made me literally spit coffee on the monitor.

On space aliens:

There's a huge mass filter on rocketry, known as the Tyranny of the Rocket Equation. Turns out the Earth is (once again) in the Goldilocks range of mass that allow rockets to escape gravity; if the Earth was slightly larger in mass, it would simply be impossible to launch a rocket into orbit. The percentage of weight of propellant to the rocket itself would go over 100 percent. The best we can do is about 4 percent payload allowed...and yes, there is a point of diminishing returns to the size of rockets.

Why does this matter? If the Earth was slightly less in mass, the core of the planet would probably cool (or maybe not, thanks to Theia giving us more core material than we deserve); and without a hot spinning core we wouldn't have a magnetic field and lose our atmosphere, as Mars did. Life - we're talking complex life - really suffers if there's not a decent atmosphere that supports liquid water.

Assuming that complex life follows the same rules elsewhere as it does here (and we have zero evidence that chemistry and physics aren't universal), that means that smaller planets just don't have the moxie to give us Little Green Men.

Larger planets, however, could. Even a planet twice the size of the Earth could be very Earth-like, given a proper sun and orbit. There could very well be a Super Earth out there with Little Green Men toiling away on their Internet arguing that interstellar travel is impossible as gravity makes launching something into orbit impossible - thanks to the tyranny of the rocket equation.

So UFO's being full of LGM is remote in the extreme, owing to the filters that life has to navigate through to get to interstellar travel, let alone the distances required.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4571065 - 06/05/21 03:43 PM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Excellent points, Dart.

Plus, without a magnetosphere, we'd be baked by cosmic radiation--though, the atmosphere would likely be stripped before that happened, such as what has happened with Mars.

#4571071 - 06/05/21 04:30 PM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Dart]  
RossUK Online cowboy
RossUK  Online Cowboy

Eastbourne, UK
Originally Posted by Dart
Elon Musk never sleeps judging by his work ethic so he must have at least some alien DNA inside of him.

I don't know about Elon, but from what I saw of Bo Jackson back in the day, he may be all or part Kryptonian.

Coming in late to this thread, and this deserves highlight, as it made me literally spit coffee on the monitor.

On space aliens:

There's a huge mass filter on rocketry, known as the Tyranny of the Rocket Equation. Turns out the Earth is (once again) in the Goldilocks range of mass that allow rockets to escape gravity; if the Earth was slightly larger in mass, it would simply be impossible to launch a rocket into orbit. The percentage of weight of propellant to the rocket itself would go over 100 percent. The best we can do is about 4 percent payload allowed...and yes, there is a point of diminishing returns to the size of rockets.

Why does this matter? If the Earth was slightly less in mass, the core of the planet would probably cool (or maybe not, thanks to Theia giving us more core material than we deserve); and without a hot spinning core we wouldn't have a magnetic field and lose our atmosphere, as Mars did. Life - we're talking complex life - really suffers if there's not a decent atmosphere that supports liquid water.

Assuming that complex life follows the same rules elsewhere as it does here (and we have zero evidence that chemistry and physics aren't universal), that means that smaller planets just don't have the moxie to give us Little Green Men.

Larger planets, however, could. Even a planet twice the size of the Earth could be very Earth-like, given a proper sun and orbit. There could very well be a Super Earth out there with Little Green Men toiling away on their Internet arguing that interstellar travel is impossible as gravity makes launching something into orbit impossible - thanks to the tyranny of the rocket equation.

So UFO's being full of LGM is remote in the extreme, owing to the filters that life has to navigate through to get to interstellar travel, let alone the distances required.

That is literally the best post I've read. I've learned something today. Thanks.

#4571075 - 06/05/21 04:58 PM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Dart]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil

On space aliens:

well said, but i see though your bias....you assume LGM comes from space, no one said that. what if they come from inside earth ? can we really assume all dinossaurs the longest living species on earth save for bacteria,fungi and plants would be wiped by a single cataclismatic event, when they evolved to survive many others before,the change of earth geography,but a bunch of lizard-like mammals ,small rodents and fish did just fine ? i think not !

#4571078 - 06/05/21 06:12 PM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
How about "What is propellant" for 1,000 Alex?"

Propellant a couple hundred years ago was coal fired steam. Methnks ( i know, scary), that maybe the Tyranny of the Rocket Equation is applying our own scientific limitations.

How high would a coal fired steam powered rocket have flown? If chemistry and physics are universal, maybe we just haven't discovered everything yet...

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4571080 - 06/05/21 07:44 PM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Nixer]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by Nixer

Propellant a couple hundred years ago was coal fired steam. Methnks ( i know, scary), that maybe the Tyranny of the Rocket Equation is applying our own scientific limitations.

How high would a coal fired steam powered rocket have flown? If chemistry and physics are universal, maybe we just haven't discovered everything yet...

it also assume that the concentration of said elements are the same as on earth.

#4571093 - 06/05/21 11:36 PM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Ah, Blade, my friend, you have hit on my favorite Alternate Theory of all time.

Forget the Flat Earth. It's stupid and boring.

The Hollow Earth, however, has dinosaurs, aliens, and the occasional Nazi left over from the secret WWII bases.

smile

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4571094 - 06/06/21 12:21 AM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Nixer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA

Oh, we know quite a bit about chemistry.

Turns out the most bang for buck is good ol' Hydrogen and Oxygen.

From Laser:
#4571095 - 06/06/21 12:28 AM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Who says "life" has to be carbon based and breath oxygen?

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4571097 - 06/06/21 12:53 AM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Dart]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

Oh, we know quite a bit about chemistry.

Turns out the most bang for buck is good ol' Hydrogen and Oxygen.

Yep.

The stellar fusion process is pretty consistent, as are supernovae.

#4571098 - 06/06/21 01:13 AM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK

Basic chemistry.

The problem with other elements that can bond to themselves, like silicon, is that the chains are very short - usually no more than four atoms long. Only Carbon can make long chains with itself and have other elements paired with it as well.

So yeah, life has to be carbon based, or at least complex life.

As to oxygen, you're correct. For a big chunk of Earth's history, life didn't rely on oxygen; it was anaerobic.

Along comes primitive algae, trying like hell to get some of the energy from the sun that the damned ol' cyanobacteria was gobbling up, and going a different, less efficient route. Photosynthesis allowed them to use the parts of the spectrum filtered by, and as a byproduct they released oxygen.

This lead to the Great Oxidation Event, which is a nice way of saying Mass Extinction.

Last edited by Dart; 06/06/21 01:16 AM.

From Laser:
#4571136 - 06/06/21 05:54 PM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Dart]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK

Basic chemistry.

The problem with other elements that can bond to themselves, like silicon, is that the chains are very short - usually no more than four atoms long. Only Carbon can make long chains with itself and have other elements paired with it as well.

So yeah, life has to be carbon based, or at least complex life.

As to oxygen, you're correct. For a big chunk of Earth's history, life didn't rely on oxygen; it was anaerobic.

Along comes primitive algae, trying like hell to get some of the energy from the sun that the damned ol' cyanobacteria was gobbling up, and going a different, less efficient route. Photosynthesis allowed them to use the parts of the spectrum filtered by, and as a byproduct they released oxygen.

This lead to the Great Oxidation Event, which is a nice way of saying Mass Extinction.

what is complex life and what is simpler life ? so you are saying its possible !

#4571154 - 06/07/21 01:11 AM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Sigh.

Non-carbon based life? Nah.

Non-oxygen complex life? Possible, but difficult. The problems are when one goes from single celled to multi-cellular; respiration and metabolism become very difficult.

And let's not forget that Oxygen in the atmosphere in quantity makes an ozone layer, which cuts down on solar radiation, giving us a huge bonus from the magnetosphere. Granted, we have a sample size of one, but anaerobic life had hundreds of millions of years to evolve from single cell to multi-cellular and didn't (in meaningful ways), but from photosynthesis to multi-cellular took a lot less time.

I think you're being a bit coy on asking the difference between simple and complex life, so I'll spare the TL:DR post that would go with that.

[edit] Turns out there is one anaerobic animal found:

https://scienceblogs.com/scientificactivist/2010/04/07/anaerobic-animals

If it is ever exposed to an oxygen environment it will probably die.

Last edited by Dart; 06/07/21 01:16 AM.

From Laser:
#4571157 - 06/07/21 01:46 AM Re: UFO footage from USS Russell - declassified [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Good points on fusion and stellar fusion.

I would think space dust at anywhere near light speeds would be a huge problem also, even if that snails speed makes interstellar travel seem silly.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.