Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4565479 - 04/21/21 08:54 PM Losing FLIR acquisition  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
Any ideas why FLIR locks are being lost in the last couple updates?

The term "necroposting" was invented by a person with no social memory beyond a year. People with a similar hangup are those o.k. with the internet being transient vapor.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011/12/methanol-wins-open-wager.html

Saitek X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick
#4565483 - 04/21/21 09:01 PM Re: Losing FLIR acquisition [Re: Reticuli]  
FouCha Offline
FouCha  Offline

Lebanon, North Governorate
Originally Posted by Reticuli

I would probably guess you have ground stabilisation off in your EECH.ini file and i'm just taking a wild guess here

#4565490 - 04/21/21 09:22 PM Re: Losing FLIR acquisition [Re: FouCha]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
Originally Posted by FouCha
Originally Posted by Reticuli

I would probably guess you have ground stabilisation off in your EECH.ini file and i'm just taking a wild guess here

Nope. And ground stab would only affect when you DON'T have a target locked, and it barely seems to work right, anyway

I also don't see any indication this is an issue of background heat signature interference in the coding (which I'm not sure is even in EECH), rain interfering with the FLIR, or using non-NV DTV at night. The EO/DTV/FLIR system just keeps flickering off targets and won't continue to lock until you're right up on them. It's not just drifting a little and relocking on its own, either. Just turns off and loses it frequently and randomly the further you are. For that matter, the radar is sometimes toggling off targets and I have to intentionally lock it, and this is a situation where there's no objects or terrain in the way and an LO aircraft is not the target. Weird stuff going on, but the FLIR having issues seems a much bigger problem. I also notice that on the Kiowa and Blackshark the FLIR/DTV isn't detecting targets at all just in general (flickering off them or not) until you are extremely close. It's as if someone added some goofy random unlock thing for most EO/DTV/FLIR and they made some of the aircraft's much lower range detection than others. These all seems relatively new changes.

That's also in addition to the time it takes for the EO/DTV/FLIR to automatically-detect targets in player-piloted aircraft, the time it takes for targets to be detected with radar sweeps in player-piloted aircraft, and yet the oddity of how the AI will immediately detect your LO aircraft and fire upon it the moment you turn on your radar or open your bay doors. Very lopsided even beyond the strange SAM detection envelopes that were supposedly improved but for which I see no evidence for in the sim. And I'm fairly confident the AI are not afflicted with this random unlock thing, either.

I'm also left wondering if the sim does any trajectory calculations for moving targets when using the radar based on the last two radar scans, or if it's just sort of omnipotent.

Last edited by Reticuli; 04/21/21 10:07 PM.

The term "necroposting" was invented by a person with no social memory beyond a year. People with a similar hangup are those o.k. with the internet being transient vapor.

Saitek X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

#4565547 - 04/22/21 01:02 PM Re: Losing FLIR acquisition [Re: Reticuli]  
FouCha Offline
FouCha  Offline

Maybe it's the GWUT file?? try, editing it to suit your liking

#4565582 - 04/22/21 05:17 PM Re: Losing FLIR acquisition [Re: FouCha]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
Not that I can see. I've edited some parameters previously with positive results, such as making weak rounds stronger and tweaking armor and health values, but I don't see anything related to this issue. There are maneuvering and recon sensor parameters for the AI, but those don't vary that much between the helos.

I did notice a 'power' parameter on the helos that I thought might affect another issue: total engine power, like to fix the Kiowa that's right now just performing like an underweighted Apache A that overspeeds very soon, but that seemed to do nothing with engine performance.

#4565600 - 04/22/21 07:34 PM Re: Losing FLIR acquisition [Re: Reticuli]  
FouCha Offline
FouCha  Offline

Dude i am so gonna learn how to code in C so i can be part of the modding community for this game. This is gonna be a while so don't hold your breath winkngrin

#4565605 - 04/22/21 08:00 PM Re: Losing FLIR acquisition [Re: Reticuli]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
Hi FouCha,

I also wanted to learn C and get involved in the modding a while ago. Many years ago I was coding in Pascal, Assembler and even machine code. Laterally it was more web pages with ASP and Javascript (which is quite close to C).

The problem I had, and what ultimately stopped me, was following the flow of the code. There seems to be a lot of including code from other files which made it very difficult for a non professional programmer like me to follow.

Obviously this is the way big companies write code (individual coders doing sections which are all pulled together at the end).

If we had a sort of "code map" that laid out which files were dependent on which others that might help.

Anyway, I don't want to put you off learning, just letting you know my experiences.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#4565611 - 04/22/21 08:26 PM Re: Losing FLIR acquisition [Re: Reticuli]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

That's true, the EECH code does seem complicated. However, I'm not a professional coder. I'm actually a tester, but I learned to code through my work, mainly in Java and Python. But I learned C through wanting to mod this game. Or rather, I learned how to mod this game, and learned C along the way. But I don't consider myself a C coder.

The main way I learned was to use the Eclipse IDE. It let's you navigate the code from function to function, and to search for where functions are called from. So that way, you can see how the code dependencies hang together.

I also use the global search all the time to find references, and where else they're used.

When I get time, I'll try and make some sort of a map. Or I'll see if there's a tool that can auto generate one for the codebase.

#4565621 - 04/22/21 10:48 PM Re: Losing FLIR acquisition [Re: Reticuli]  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
If we had a sort of "code map" that laid out which files were dependent on which others that might help.

If I may suggest something to help the understanding the flow of the code and its subroutines and all dependencies is maybe IDA Pro disassembler. That would be IDAPro, not the latest 64 version but earlier good for 32bit which EECH is. Is not very easy stuff to read and deal with, but all that programming after all it is not so easy in the first place. At least o n the beginning. It is slow and methodic work to match disassembled machine code with the real source code. Perhaps with some time commitment and extensive practice, it can get easier with time.

There is another program called Ghidra which is similar to IDA and that wonder tool takes the executable, disassembles it, and from that it writes semi source code (full reverse engineering).

Of course, we have here source code for EECH available, so it would be even easier to try to match that semi code "guessed" by Ghidra to the original source code. The advantage of this method is that like IDA Ghidra also gives charts of subroutines showing flow of the entire program and how all this works together.

It is all easier said than done though as it takes some programming experience, knowledge, practice, and lots of time.

Last edited by Polak; 04/22/21 10:53 PM.
#4568464 - 05/14/21 11:10 PM Re: Losing FLIR acquisition [Re: Polak]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted by Polak

If I may suggest something to help the understanding the flow of the code and its subroutines and all dependencies is maybe IDA Pro disassembler. That would be IDAPro, not the latest 64 version but earlier good for 32bit which EECH is. Is not very easy stuff to read and deal with, but all that programming after all it is not so easy in the first place. At least o n the beginning. It is slow and methodic work to match disassembled machine code with the real source code. Perhaps with some time commitment and extensive practice, it can get easier with time.

There is another program called Ghidra which is similar to IDA and that wonder tool takes the executable, disassembles it, and from that it writes semi source code (full reverse engineering).

Of course, we have here source code for EECH available, so it would be even easier to try to match that semi code "guessed" by Ghidra to the original source code. The advantage of this method is that like IDA Ghidra also gives charts of subroutines showing flow of the entire program and how all this works together.

It is all easier said than done though as it takes some programming experience, knowledge, practice, and lots of time.

A while ago I had tried doing this with the exe for EE2, as I was hoping to uncover how they updated the DirectX version, and then implement that to EECH. But I didn't get very far with it. I was using a program called Radare. I might try it again at some point with the tools you mention.

#4569442 - 05/21/21 07:48 PM Re: Losing FLIR acquisition [Re: Reticuli]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
Ctrl S turns the weak ground stab on. Hasn't fixed all the acquisition problems it seems, especially for lasing aircraft with the EO, but has been somewhat beneficial for ground targets I think, especially when moving the EO while zoomed out.

Last edited by Reticuli; 05/21/21 08:35 PM.

#4570236 - 05/28/21 03:49 AM Re: Losing FLIR acquisition [Re: Reticuli]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Could you try the EO stabilisation in 1.16.1 instead of 1.16.2, as there were some changes to EO stabilisation in 1.16.2. If it's ok in 1.16.1, then I could try reverting or fixing it in 1.16.2.

There was a separate exe included for 1.16.2, so if you have updated to 1.16.1, then just run the cohokum.exe instead and it should be 1.16.1. You'll need to point you ini file to the 1.16.1 GWUT though.

#4570283 - 05/28/21 04:10 PM Re: Losing FLIR acquisition [Re: Reticuli]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
The only difference I see is that .2's EO doesn't jump slightly when you engage it like .1 does sometimes. Ground stab for the EO works mostly the same with Ctrl S and no target lock in 1.16.2, 1.16.1, 1.4.1c, and EECH2. All these years and I didn't know about that "S" or I'd forgotten it, but it's not that terrible and is just not perfect like locking to the ground.

The problem with losing EO target locks of something other than the ground frequently when not very close to them is present exactly the same, that I can tell, with 1.16.2, 1.16.1, and EECH2. I don't remember if I checked that with 1.4.1c. The HMD targeting often ends up more effective than the EO system.

It's harder to say on the problem of automatically spotting targets or acquiring them in the first place with the EO, though, which seems worse in some helos, but no helos seem to do a great job.

I also notice what may be some kind of attempt to make EO capability daylight only on certain helos, like on the Blackshark. Can't say I like that.

Maybe the difficulty of automatically spotting targets and keeping a lock was an attempt to make the EO system less capable than the radar system just with random probabilities rather than losing locks based on fast, varied maneuvering, but the problem seems to happen the same on a stationary vehicle as a fighter jet turning and burning.

If the EO stuff can be sufficiently-fixed, I might be in favor of requiring the Longbow Hellfires to have the radar page active and some kind of radar targets listed (at least previously acquired at some point) to use them rather than being able to launch them with just the FLIR, and to have the Comanche without the EFAM wings no longer have a radar. Maybe have the Longbow Hellfires more rare, too. The lamp shade and the diagonal panels on the tail would also be nice touches when you've got the radar EFAM version on. Right now with the state of the EO system, though, obviously it'd be a bad idea.

Last edited by Reticuli; 05/29/21 01:23 AM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.