Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4570097 - 05/27/21 10:36 AM How many eyes does my squadron have?  
Taal Offline
Taal  Offline

Poland
Hello

I try to fly like I did in 1916 - I don't use TAC. I look around, I look for opponents, every few seconds I look at "6".

A / Do my subordinates do the same? Do they also look around? Will they react, let me know about the presence of enemy planes, or will they spontaneously attack enemy planes themselves?
In short - am I the only one conducting the observation ..?

B / WoFF practice - is there any other method of indicating the target of an attack besides TAC?

#4570108 - 05/27/21 11:26 AM Re: How many eyes does my squadron have? [Re: Taal]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

AI scans the skies every few seconds. It is less able to spot behind though.
Note: vision quality varies by skill rating and weather, clouds block view and haze shortens view distance.

There's a few notes generally on AI here too
https://www.overflandersfields.com/index_html_files/Gameplay%20and%20AI%20Questions.pdf

old doc mentions vision too
https://www.overflandersfields.com/index_html_files/WOFF%20DEV%20comments%20and%20more.pdf

" the AI constantly look around the skies as they fly, to try and see any enemy flights -
they do not always succeed, and they also cannot see through clouds and visibility distance is reduced in
haze. Their skill rating also affects their vision acuity. This applies to pilots and observers/gunners. Thus it is
possible to sneak up on unsuspecting aircraft crews."

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4570110 - 05/27/21 11:35 AM Re: How many eyes does my squadron have? [Re: Taal]  
Dornil Offline
Dornil  Offline

Don't know anything about AI senses, but instead of TAC I use the dark-grey dot icons at 6000 meters - I still have to scan the skies and get closer to identify the airplanes, but I don't have to zoom in all the time to spot them. Good thing too is that in WoFF those dots are not visible through the clouds, unlike RoF.

#4570135 - 05/27/21 02:11 PM Re: How many eyes does my squadron have? [Re: Dornil]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by Taal
Hello

I try to fly like I did in 1916 - I don't use TAC. I look around, I look for opponents, every few seconds I look at "6".

A / Do my subordinates do the same? Do they also look around? Will they react, let me know about the presence of enemy planes, or will they spontaneously attack enemy planes themselves?
In short - am I the only one conducting the observation ..?

B / WoFF practice - is there any other method of indicating the target of an attack besides TAC?

Subordinates will look around and peel off and attack and, no, they won't have the decency to tell you. More than once I have looked back to say "Hey, where did my flight go?!?" I think they generally only leave you to attack if a certain threat threshold is met, however.

Originally Posted by Dornil
Don't know anything about AI senses, but instead of TAC I use the dark-grey dot icons at 6000 meters - I still have to scan the skies and get closer to identify the airplanes, but I don't have to zoom in all the time to spot them. Good thing too is that in WoFF those dots are not visible through the clouds, unlike RoF.

I think they are visible through the clouds, but probably just blend in. They are certainly visible through solid objects like your aircraft, unfortunately.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4570147 - 05/27/21 03:45 PM Re: How many eyes does my squadron have? [Re: Taal]  
Taal Offline
Taal  Offline

Poland

Hello
Thanks for the answers. I know these materials.

I am interested in what Dornil wrote. How do you use these dark dots? Is it included in the game settings?

This is what I mean -
a / I have to find out if there are planes nearby (without the help of the TAC "radar")
b / then find out if they are enemy planes.
c / the question comes back - how should I direct my planes towards the enemy? There is no need to do without TAC ..?

greetings

#4570214 - 05/27/21 11:06 PM Re: How many eyes does my squadron have? [Re: Taal]  
Baxter Offline
Baxter  Offline

Adelaide, South Australia
When I fly it is in the Be2C early model and my observer is always looking over me to the rear and waving a .303 around. Does that mean that he is covering my six and I can always rely on him to pick up any bouncers?

Last edited by Baxter; 05/27/21 11:06 PM.
#4570239 - 05/28/21 04:36 AM Re: How many eyes does my squadron have? [Re: Taal]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I flew a few Strutter missions and my observer would often swivel his gun around to some fixed point. I would try to fly towards that point but have yet to find anybody, so I am not sure what is going on there.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4570262 - 05/28/21 12:25 PM Re: How many eyes does my squadron have? [Re: Taal]  
Robert_Wiggins Online smile
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Online Smile
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Your observer, is just being observant or possibly just nervous or fidgety from exposure to the cold!

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 05/28/21 12:26 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4570294 - 05/28/21 05:16 PM Re: How many eyes does my squadron have? [Re: Taal]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

If you are the leader, just fly towards the unknown or enemy and your flight will follow (as long as you don't do dramatic turns to lose them).
No there is no other way to say hey target this aircraft without TAC. There was very little means to do that in real life either.

If the gunner turns it means he spotted something, it could be far below or above though remember, and also the AI may become hidden in clouds after he spots one.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4570297 - 05/28/21 05:40 PM Re: How many eyes does my squadron have? [Re: Taal]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

How many eyes in a squadron ? Theres no i in squadron

#4570311 - 05/28/21 06:47 PM Re: How many eyes does my squadron have? [Re: carrick58]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by carrick58
How many eyes in a squadron ? Theres no i in squadron

hahaha

#4570330 - 05/28/21 09:58 PM Re: How many eyes does my squadron have? [Re: Taal]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by Taal

Hello
Thanks for the answers. I know these materials.

I am interested in what Dornil wrote. How do you use these dark dots? Is it included in the game settings?

This is what I mean -
a / I have to find out if there are planes nearby (without the help of the TAC "radar")
b / then find out if they are enemy planes.
c / the question comes back - how should I direct my planes towards the enemy? There is no need to do without TAC ..?

greetings

Use 'dot labels'. I believe the period "." key toggles it off and on. If you have the message display on (shift-D toggles that, from memory) then it will say 'dot labels on' or 'dot labels off' as you press "." so you know that they are turned on.

#4570343 - 05/28/21 11:48 PM Re: How many eyes does my squadron have? [Re: Taal]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

You can also set the range in the workshop. I've tried to set mine so the AI will spot the when planes just about the same time I do. But I don't remember what the exact number is off the top of my head.

#4570367 - 05/29/21 07:56 AM Re: How many eyes does my squadron have? [Re: Taal]  
Taal Offline
Taal  Offline

Poland
Hello

Thanks for the advice, especially the 77-scot. I'll try today.

It seems to me (this is an egestion for the game developers) that this would not be a problem if the TAC, instead of showing the entire situation around the plane, almost like in modern AWACS, would show o n l y a fragment of the space. Just the direction you are looking at right now. You also wouldn't see what is happening below the plane.
Thus, you would have to constantly look around, leaning from side to side like fighter pilots. The practice of World War II showed that almost 80 percent of the pilots died because they did not see the attacking enemy. It was too late to react ...
It was probably the same during the Great War.

greetings

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM