Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4570121 - 05/27/21 12:41 PM Comanche Gold In Game Menu Issue  
Anonone Offline
Anonone  Offline

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. So I got a brand new CD copy of Comanche Gold and installed it on my Toshiba Satellite that's running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. I downloaded also the Comanche Gold patch zip file and the DXGL program that people here suggested and set it up. Everything boots up but my only problem is that when I'm trying to set up the graphics in the in game menu (the menu that appears on top of the screen that shows exit, joystick, etc. when you are in the helicopter) or even if I'm just trying to navigate the in game menu in general, as soon as I hit the escape button to exit out of the menu, the entire game crashes and starts stuttering and I believe a window also pops up that says something like cannot find C3.sav file.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Anonone; 05/27/21 04:13 PM.

Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
-Acts 16:29-31 King James Bible
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4570273 - 05/28/21 02:03 PM Re: Comanche Gold In Game Menu Issue [Re: Anonone]  
ufolev Offline
ufolev  Offline

Hello Anonone!

On Windows7 you should not need to use DXGL or DG Voodoo to run the game

1. install Comanche Gold - Full installation and get Win7 fix

https://mega.nz/file/wFgThajL#FWAt-W9T67IVP1E4kgnWR0f4pR8v9cHS39YUjQ8B1jE

2. Put all ,KDV files and WC3.MNU file into the CG install folder.
3. Extract the modded 'Wc3.exe' file (in this .zip) to the CG install folder and overwrite the existing file (backup original one before if you wish).
4. Rename 'Setup.CD' in the CG install folder to something else, such as 'SetupCD.bak'.
5. Run either the 'Setup32.reg' or 'Setup64.reg' file (in this .zip), depending on if you have the 32- or 64-bit version of Windows Vista/7 (make sure you use correct one).
6. Run the game (no game CD needed)! Enter unlocked "in game" Menu to get high detail and high resolution!

UFO copter

Last edited by ufolev; 05/28/21 02:10 PM.
#4570352 - 05/29/21 01:28 AM Re: Comanche Gold In Game Menu Issue [Re: Anonone]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
DGVoodoo is useful for DX conversion and to combine with Reshade when at 1280x1024, though this resolution slightly crops the simulation image since it's not exactly 4:3 aspect. At 1024x768, though, it's correct that you don't need that stuff to run it in Windows 7.

Last edited by Reticuli; 05/29/21 01:31 AM.

The term "necroposting" was invented by a person with no social memory beyond a year. People with a similar hangup are those o.k. with the internet being transient vapor.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011/12/methanol-wins-open-wager.html

Saitek X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick
#4570363 - 05/29/21 06:11 AM Re: Comanche Gold In Game Menu Issue [Re: Anonone]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Anonone - Welcome to the forums! That's a strange issue, I've never heard of that one before. Please make sure to follow the guide as written by member 'ufolev' and you are correct with using DXGL but it's only needed if you get the messed up inverted colors issue in the game.

Reticuli and ufolev - DXGL is in fact a must for many players using Windows Vista onwards, as it fixes the messed up colors issue present in the game menu and in-game that's present on some systems, probably due to the way that these later versions of Windows composites the desktop transparency. If you're using dgVoodoo, Reticuli, then that will also mitigate that issue so you wouldn't need to use DXGL anyway. dgVoodoo and DXGL are both graphics API wrappers. In fact using DXGL (and probably dgVoodoo in that mode) will fix messed up colors in most old software-based games on modern systems... from my own experience it works for Road Rash as well).

#4570487 - 05/30/21 01:59 PM Re: Comanche Gold In Game Menu Issue [Re: Flyboy]  
Anonone Offline
Anonone  Offline

Originally Posted by ufolev
Hello Anonone!

On Windows7 you should not need to use DXGL or DG Voodoo to run the game

1. install Comanche Gold - Full installation and get Win7 fix

https://mega.nz/file/wFgThajL#FWAt-W9T67IVP1E4kgnWR0f4pR8v9cHS39YUjQ8B1jE

2. Put all ,KDV files and WC3.MNU file into the CG install folder.
3. Extract the modded 'Wc3.exe' file (in this .zip) to the CG install folder and overwrite the existing file (backup original one before if you wish).
4. Rename 'Setup.CD' in the CG install folder to something else, such as 'SetupCD.bak'.
5. Run either the 'Setup32.reg' or 'Setup64.reg' file (in this .zip), depending on if you have the 32- or 64-bit version of Windows Vista/7 (make sure you use correct one).
6. Run the game (no game CD needed)! Enter unlocked "in game" Menu to get high detail and high resolution!

UFO copter

Originally Posted by Reticuli
DGVoodoo is useful for DX conversion and to combine with Reshade when at 1280x1024, though this resolution slightly crops the simulation image since it's not exactly 4:3 aspect. At 1024x768, though, it's correct that you don't need that stuff to run it in Windows 7.

Originally Posted by Flyboy
Anonone - Welcome to the forums! That's a strange issue, I've never heard of that one before. Please make sure to follow the guide as written by member 'ufolev' and you are correct with using DXGL but it's only needed if you get the messed up inverted colors issue in the game.

Reticuli and ufolev - DXGL is in fact a must for many players using Windows Vista onwards, as it fixes the messed up colors issue present in the game menu and in-game that's present on some systems, probably due to the way that these later versions of Windows composites the desktop transparency. If you're using dgVoodoo, Reticuli, then that will also mitigate that issue so you wouldn't need to use DXGL anyway. dgVoodoo and DXGL are both graphics API wrappers. In fact using DXGL (and probably dgVoodoo in that mode) will fix messed up colors in most old software-based games on modern systems... from my own experience it works for Road Rash as well).

Thanks everyone for your help, unfortunately, I'm still getting the same error. I booted it up, sat in the chopper, opened the in game menu and hit escape and it crashed and it began to stutter. It mentioned that it 'cannot locate or find file C3.SAV .

Attached Files c3.sav.png

Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
#4570539 - 05/31/21 04:11 AM Re: Comanche Gold In Game Menu Issue [Re: Anonone]  
ufolev Offline
ufolev  Offline

Hello Anonone!

these files C3.NAM and C3.SAV represent pilot profile name and completed missions progress and score
I suppose that when you finish the first mission . then the game creates the C3sav file and connect it with corresponding C3.nam file
Or get and put these in the CG folder and tray again
https://mega.nz/file/1Ap02TTa#vlm_t3pSwElAdfM9eJM0R1znfpqqkiun1QPXIEZ48g0
good luck!

ufo :-)

i

Last edited by ufolev; 05/31/21 09:48 AM.
#4570601 - 05/31/21 11:09 PM Re: Comanche Gold In Game Menu Issue [Re: ufolev]  
Anonone Offline
Anonone  Offline

Hello Anonone!

these files C3.NAM and C3.SAV represent pilot profile name and completed missions progress and score
I suppose that when you finish the first mission . then the game creates the C3sav file and connect it with corresponding C3.nam file
good luck!

i

Thanks ufolev for that. That seems to have done it. The game no longer crashes when I navigate and exit the ingame menu.
The issue I have now is a frame rate issue, it will be smooth for a few seconds then it will take a noticeable dip every dozen seconds. dizzy

#4570604 - 05/31/21 11:56 PM Re: Comanche Gold In Game Menu Issue [Re: Anonone]  
Anonone Offline
Anonone  Offline

Originally Posted by Anonone
Hello Anonone!

good luck!

i

Thanks ufolev for that. That seems to have done it. The game no longer crashes when I navigate and exit the ingame menu.
The issue I have now is a frame rate issue, it will be smooth for a few seconds then it will take a noticeable dip every dozen seconds. dizzy

Guys I went into the in game menu and turned off "Allow Screen Shots" under "Game" and the frame rate seems to be fine now. I will continue more tests.
Does anyone know of a way to remap the controls?

Last edited by Anonone; 05/31/21 11:58 PM.

#4570619 - 06/01/21 08:56 AM Re: Comanche Gold In Game Menu Issue [Re: Anonone]  
ufolev Offline
ufolev  Offline

Hello Anonone!

In 1998 the original Comanche Gold game was locked up to 800x600 resolution
1024x768 and 1280x1020 res and high detail options were hidden for players because of the hardware in 1998 that can not run the game in stable mode

So check the default screen resolution of your laptop
start with it or with 800x600 without extra details and see the game framerate
if all is fine increase the resolution and details

good luck

ufo

#4570702 - 06/02/21 09:44 AM Re: Comanche Gold In Game Menu Issue [Re: Anonone]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Very strange issues you're having with the game, Anonone. None of them make any sense. As long as you get the game running with the Windows 7+ fixed EXE there's really not a lot that can (historically) go wrong. Makes me wonder what's going on with your hardware and software. It's strange that your game can't create its own save files and certainly any computer from the last 20 years shouldn't be running into framerate issues. Turning off the ability to take screenshots also shouldn't make any difference whatsoever. There's no way to remap the controls.

#4571329 - 06/09/21 10:06 AM Re: Comanche Gold In Game Menu Issue [Re: Anonone]  
ufolev Offline
ufolev  Offline

Hello Anonone!

If you run Comanche Gold now and everything is OK
what did you test and what do you like from the new features of the game?

Last edited by ufolev; 06/09/21 03:13 PM.
#4571624 - 06/12/21 08:47 PM Re: Comanche Gold In Game Menu Issue [Re: ufolev]  
Anonone Offline
Anonone  Offline

Hello Anonone!

If you run Comanche Gold now and everything is OK
what did you test and what do you like from the new features of the game?

Hey guys, it looks like everything is smooth so far. I'm going to need more time to test everything though. Also, I think that I'll only be able to get the most out of the game with a Joystick and throttle so I'm gonna hunt for one.

#4571647 - 06/13/21 06:41 AM Re: Comanche Gold In Game Menu Issue [Re: Anonone]  
ufolev Offline
ufolev  Offline

Hello Anonone!

I use my PCmouse as a joystick- the mouse movement gives a cyclic, the mouse scroll movement gives a collective - up and down,
click on scroll to change the weapons, the right mouse button selects a target and the left button shoots on the selected target.
There is a program - ppjoy 64-bit :
https://www.filecroco.com/download-ppjoy/
after installation use a PPmouse option to fly Comanche Gold

Here I am flying with the PC mouse instead of a joystick!
ufo

Last edited by ufolev; 07/02/21 08:20 AM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.