#4569233 - 05/20/21 03:52 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
And?

Edge has already been out for a long time.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4569236 - 05/20/21 04:04 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Don't know Edge. I know many who use Internet Explorer.

Launched in 1995, Internet Explorer became the dominant browser for over a decade as it was bundled with Microsoft's Windows operating system that came pre-installed in billions of computers.

There got to be millions or a billion still on Internet Explorer.

#4569237 - 05/20/21 04:06 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I already thought it was dead.

#4569239 - 05/20/21 04:07 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
And?

Edge has already been out for a long time.

Windows 10 hounds the crap out of you to switch to Edge. I still prefer Chrome even though Edge is Chrome based.

#4569244 - 05/20/21 04:15 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Don't know Edge. .

So I guess you're a Mac user or your home computer is on Windows 7?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4569247 - 05/20/21 04:18 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

I still use IE occasionally rather than disable my ad blocker on Opera. Probably still will. Heck with that low of market share it might even be safer than Opera by now...

#4569259 - 05/20/21 05:06 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I know nothing about Edge as I've only used Firefox with Win10 and Linux.

But speaking of antique software...

I've recently discovered Autodesk's GMax, a free modeling (but non-rendering) version of an old release of 3ds Max (technically "Discreet 3dsmax 4"). It's included with the SDK of MSFS 2002 Pro, 2004 and X (copied from my FSX Gold Edition DVD). What a slick piece of software this is (other than some file conversion hoops as it was intended to support only a couple or so games)! No offense to the free and very capable Blender, or somewhat clunky but user-friendly low-cost/poly Milkshape 3D (which I still use for certain abilities...tremendous import/export options). But freeware GMax is a fantastic model builder, if maybe limited these days to lower .3ds model specs.

Just another example of how much I still love early-2000 production software; so small and fast while not so online-centric. As long as it runs equally well on Win10 as it did back in the day on Win2k/XP, I'm good.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4569261 - 05/20/21 05:10 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG
I know nothing about Edge as I've only used Firefox with Win10 and Linux.

Edge comes bundled with WIN 10 and you've never even noticed it under the Start menu and Program list?

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/20/21 05:10 PM.

#4569263 - 05/20/21 05:25 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by MarkG
I know nothing about Edge as I've only used Firefox with Win10 and Linux..

Edge comes bundled with WIN 10 and you've never even noticed it under the Start menu and Program list?

"OneDrive", "Groove Music", "Microsoft Store", etc... I see *many* icons of crap that bloats my Start Menu that I know nothing about except for the mandatory, often un-killable programs and icons (even if you succeed, they always find a way to return). It's a constant fight with Windows 10, recently removing a news feed/temp display in my taskbar that I neither asked for nor wanted.

Oh, how I miss the professionalism of Windows NT (started going south with 2k and then XP)!

The sun is in the east
#4569264 - 05/20/21 05:36 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Just a quick heads up gents' that Edge is also available for Win7 as a standalone download. Also, if running Win10 Professional or other higher-end variants like Enterprise, etc., you can set up user/system policies that allow for the older Edge (html-engine based, Trident?), and the fresher Edge/Chredge (Chromium-based), to exist side-by-side.

I usually run the older Edge alongside the Pale Moon browser (a fork of older Firefox). Official Firefox I prefer on my Mac systems where Safari is obsolete. Then again I still prefer the look of Firefox even to fresh Safari - probably a professional deformity on my part that dates back to the good old days of Netscape Navigator (and the Communicator suite).

And yes, late 90s/early 00s production software is often the gold standard (fast and does what it was designed to do, with no online subscriptions). This is why I still keep copies of SheepShaver both on my OS X Mac systems and on Windows too - allows me to run Mac OS 9.0.4 with loads of software that I still have from that era (FrameMaker, etc.) - great stuff and good retro computing. Too bad Apple never maintained the minimal, platinum look of OS 8/9-era windows and dialogue boxes in OS X and the latest macOS, or whatever the newest brand/trademark name is. Oh well, it is what it is.

Happy computing (and flying),
Von S smile2

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4569270 - 05/20/21 06:28 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
A bit of paranoid/cranky old man attitude here, but on Windows systems, I will typically use Firefox or Edge, because Firefox doesn't really track anything, and I figure Microsoft is probably already tracking me on a Windows system so using Edge doesn't really add much more info. If I used Chrome, I'd have both MS and Google getting my info at the same time.

Edge has an Internet Explorer mode, and for companies it allows configuring certain sites to be loaded in that mode automatically, but for personal systems, it is a bit more of a pain. Once you enable it, you have to manually tell Edge to reload a given page in IE mode each time. I have an old security camera DVR that relies on an ActiveX control, and it works fine in IE, but doesn't normally work in Edge, Chrome or Firefox. With IE mode in Edge, it kinda works. It will load, and let me see some of the cameras, but it doesn't always show all of them and is a bit hit-or-miss.

Here's how to configure Internet Explorer mode in Edge, if anyone is interested:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...bac6f0de?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4569271 - 05/20/21 06:34 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Chrome or Opera here, sometimes Edge. I'll never use Firefox again after their intolerant employees ousted their founder because his political beliefs differed from their own.

#4569291 - 05/20/21 08:54 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: Arthonon]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Arthonon
A bit of paranoid/cranky old man attitude here...

Dammit Microsoft, quit degrading performance with every freaking Windows update! old_simmer <-- Typical old man yelling at MS cloud. smile

Just wait until Windows goes woke (and you'll be told that you just can't handle change).

Headline: "Windows embraces CRT!"

<Tries retrieving 19" NEC MultiSync from closet and gets hernia.>

++++++++++

Future of posting will include helpful mandatory pre-submit suggestions...

==========
"DCS Black Friday sale, finally purchased the mud hen. Man, you have to be really gentle with her because she's unforgiving and handles like a pig!"
==========

+++ WARNING +++
Some possible infractions were detected:

- racist language
- unacceptable gender pronouns (click here for 42 non-binary alternatives)
- misogynist and/or sexist
- fat shaming

These possible infractions should be checked before submitting post, along with your many privileges.

The sun is in the east
#4569361 - 05/21/21 12:23 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
^ Follow-up to above...

MS Office 2000 is probably all I'll ever need, although I'm missing some important features like the "Microsoft 365 Gender Pronoun Kit."

Also, I'll never have...

[Linked Image]

https://www.howtogeek.com/677694/how-to-check-for-inclusive-language-in-microsoft-word/

...but that's the price I'm willing to pay for old comfortable software that still seems like overkill for my needs.

Attached Files MSWord.png

The sun is in the east
#4569366 - 05/21/21 12:40 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
I've used Firefox nearly from when it first came out (not selling Firefox, just reporting).

It currently emphasizes security. It has scores of add-ons for customization, extra features, and extra security. I have only 3 installed.

It has given me virtually no issues. A very few times over the years I had to use Microsoft's then-current browser to get a particular site/page/on-line-app to work correctly -- but, not recently.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4569368 - 05/21/21 12:43 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Microsoft Edge is hated at our work and i can see why. I don't even like it on my own PC.

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4569369 - 05/21/21 12:48 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: Haggart]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Haggart
I don't even like it on my own PC.

I can only speak for myself of course but I'd say about 90% of my web browsing is done on my smartphone. My home PC is used exclusively for gaming.

#4569378 - 05/21/21 01:39 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Originally Posted by Haggart
I don't even like it on my own PC.

I can only speak for myself of course but I'd say about 90% of my web browsing is done on my smartphone. My home PC is used exclusively for gaming.

The last time I bought a phone (around a year ago), the young waiting on me laughed when I mentioned my laptop. She said that she doesn't even own a "computer" anymore and that she does everything on her phone. She looked at me like I was an old relic that belonged in a museum somewhere.

#4569380 - 05/21/21 01:44 PM Re: the end of Internet Explorer [Re: LB4LB]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by LB4LB

The last time I bought a phone (around a year ago), the young waiting on me laughed when I mentioned my laptop. She said that she doesn't even own a "computer" anymore and that she does everything on her phone. She looked at me like I was an old relic that belonged in a museum somewhere.

That doesn't surprise me. I'll need to dig up the article that I read a few weeks ago but a significant percentage of the consumer market in the US no longer has a desktop or a laptop in the house for personal use. Those were replaced with smartphones and tablets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.