Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4568857 - 05/18/21 03:08 AM Amazon Warning  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
If you have credit card numbers on file with them get them out of there.

I was just hit with a few hundred bucks in bogus Amazon charges for stuff I didn't order.

It was the only place online that still had my debit card number, for any other online purchases I use a Capital One card, max $500 limit, and generate virtual card numbers for each transaction. Nifty feature.

I guess I got too complacent with Amazon, and had left my debit card number on file there. Amazon customer support is now in New Delhi, no wonder Antifa numbers have risen in the NW. BUT, they kept telling me to "Queekly call you bank, they must stop eet!"
I had called my bank before I bothered with Bezos, Inc.

Amazon is the only place on the web with that card number stored.

Amazon also had my address. I got a SUNDAY delivery package yesterday from Amazon, figured it was for a neighbor. Nope, was addressed to me. Freakin protein bars and some bizarre super bright chinese flashlight. That's what got me watching my Amazon account closely. Still nothing on my Amazon account, but a few hundred in BS charges this AM on my debit card. Shut it down and told my bank not to pay. Done deal. Amazon is pretty much throwing it's hands up in the air..."It wasn't us!"

I think I'll wait until we get Bezos/Ghandi memorial bitcoin before I invest in them.

You owe me more than a flashlight Bozo.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4568859 - 05/18/21 03:27 AM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Might be very good advice Nixer. I find I shop less and less with Amazon. They have essentially become nothing more than a cheap Chinese flea market anyways.

Do you have double authentication set up for your account? They send you a text with a random pin number after you log in with your password. Maybe that will help?

Last edited by LB4LB; 05/18/21 03:36 AM.
#4568860 - 05/18/21 03:38 AM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Mostly art supplies for me, now I go almost to the source.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4568876 - 05/18/21 10:17 AM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Amazon gets most of my purchases. So far, no issues and only about 4 returns in 20 years.

BUT, over the years, I have gotten multiple FAKE phone calls from Amazon. I did answer just one of them (last year) and realized what was happening -- they were fishing for account information -- I gave them none. I contacted Amazon customer service -- they replied they would check it out. Nothing more came of that one.

I also got one fake email from Amazon -- questioned a purchase -- it looked suspicious because the "price" was not right. As a test of my judgement, I decided to try the link -- it left a virus on my PC when I clicked on the address given. Immediately turned it off, disconnected the internet, and did a complete reinstall using a "system image" set aside for such events.

But, Amazon itself has not "screwed with me" -- just great service at low prices. (not selling Amazon -- just my experience).

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4568877 - 05/18/21 10:22 AM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
We're seeing it more & more at my workplace where fake emails from large companies are trying to catch people out. I've also had emails from Amazon, but they've got no business from me using that email account so it was an obvious fraud. Likewise with Spotify & other companies, including DHL which I very nearly fell for because it was around Christmas and was receiving packages.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4568883 - 05/18/21 12:16 PM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Nothing I order online gets my debit card, it all goes through PayPal. The one time I did have a problem I called PayPal and they stopped the payment and shut down the seller.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4568884 - 05/18/21 12:19 PM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: KRT_Bong]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by KRT_Bong
Nothing I order online gets my debit card, it all goes through PayPal. The one time I did have a problem I called PayPal and they stopped the payment and shut down the seller.

And what if PayPal gets hacked?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4568889 - 05/18/21 01:08 PM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
now days any institution is open to hacking.I keep a checking account and last week the bank called and asked if paid some cleaning outfit in Florida..A flag went up with their security company.They cancelled my debit card and the charge and sent a new card.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4568890 - 05/18/21 01:09 PM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
So far I haven't had any issues with Amazon, and never use my debit card. My credit card company has made it clear on multiple occasions that I am not responsible for any fraudulent purchases, so I believe they are about as safe as is possible with an online purchase.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4568891 - 05/18/21 01:15 PM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I've had my Bank of America debit card since 2000 and only once did I get hit with a fraudulent charge on my account. I called BOA and they fixed the problem in less than an hour.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/18/21 03:04 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4568902 - 05/18/21 02:57 PM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
I use the Amazon Prime credit card (from Chase). I get 5% off on Amazon purchases with that card. And, 1% to 2% money off on all purchases in other stores on-line or on-street. Nice thing is: Its all purchases right from the beginning -- not after a few thousand is spent.

In the last several years, I had the card hacked a couple times. Both times, items were charged to it. I was contacted and payment was stopped. I got a newer version of the card with a new card number.

When making a purchase outside the USA (i.e. from Europe), I use PayPal.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4568908 - 05/18/21 03:10 PM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I've had my Bank of America debit card since 2000 and only once did I get hit a fraudulent charge on my account. I called BOA and they fixed the problem in less than an hour.

I got you beat by two years, 1998 here. I am covered for the charges, especially since I spotted them while they were still pending. All charges won't be paid, card is cancelled, and a new one is on the way.

Amazon is a different story. I finally got a US supervisor on the phone this AM, and got someone who wasn't reading a script. They have found the account that was used and I asked them to provide Bank America with that info. I have already gotten a couple of follow up emails. I think I woke them up finally.

What bugs me is that:

1. I have had my Prime Account for over 5 years.
2. Amazon is the only place I am aware on the web that the debit card number was stored on.
3. They allowed some other Amazon account to buy something with my stored debit card, and send something to me at my stored address...AND NO RED FLAGS WENT UP!
4. I will never use anything but a single use virtual card number at Amazon, or anywhere else on the web for that matter, again.

I cannot say enough good about Capital One (zero affiliation with them) and their super easy to use Virtual card numbers. I keep the limit low ($500) and just transfer funds from my BA account when I use it.
It may not be as convenient as easy one click at Amazon (it almost really is as easy though) but it's a lot more secure.

After dealing with two different people from India at Amazon customer service last night I was a little frustrated. Then, just now, a very nice lady with Bank America in MD gave me an update and then transferred me to Claims Status so I could get my claim number, in, you guessed it, INDIA! I could barely understand her...

I now have this mental picture of some rickety looking building with bamboo scaffolding with Bank America and Amazon logos on it somewhere in India. Inside are many Indian folks with their phones, computers and reading their scripts. They are deflecting, frustrating and/or occasionally helping customers. BUT, out back, across the dark dingy alley is a big building full of scammers at their phones and computers.

What could go wrong?

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4568911 - 05/18/21 03:14 PM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Oh, and I NEVER pay or buy anything with my phone. NEVER, EVER.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4568934 - 05/18/21 04:38 PM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
When I retired 9 years ago I was between Connecticut and Ohio with no bank account setup..My second wife maxed the credit card and my bank account.So I got my Social Security on a Direct Express card and a couple months later it got a charge for $400 to a vendor in France.I called and after sitting on hold for 3 hours.Like Nixer I got someone who couldn't speak English after asking for an English speaking person I got hung up on took a few calls but got somebody.They sent me a few forms .I reported it to the police here.Keystone Cops,After three months direct express sent me a letter that no fraud could be proved.
Think I need to break down and get a smart phone for the two factor authentication.and get my stuff removed from Amazon...

Russ
Semper Fi
#4568946 - 05/18/21 05:08 PM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Use credit gift cards for online purchases and monthly bills and no more problem.

#4568989 - 05/18/21 10:20 PM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
I've had Amazon Prime since it was introduced I think and have never had an issue. I have two cards listed there--The Amazon Chase card and my Discover card. I order something almost weekly and alternate between the two cards based on the best cashback deal. I pay both cards off monthly so neither company makes a dime off of me.

My Discover card did get a fraudulent charge on it back in 2019. However, it had nothing to do with Amazon but was a very small donation to some bogus charity from Tennessee of all places. I didn't even catch it but actually got a call from Discover asking me about it. It was only for a small amount--something like $10.75 but evidently, it raised a flag with their security system. In talking to the security folks at Discover they indicated that such a small charge was just a test by the crooks to see if it would go unnoticed. If it had then they would have started hitting it for larger amounts. Discover closed out that card immediately and FedEx'd a new card to me. I think it happened on a Friday and I had the new card the following Monday.

Now I get phishing emails disguised as Amazon, Paypal, and others almost daily. I used to forward them to the fraud departments of the various companies but now I just stick them in a fraud file for a while just in case.

I found this one in my email this morning from some point yesterday telling me that my new $4000 big screen TV was about to be delivered with a number to call if I thought the purchase was in error.

The fact that the sender's email was a Gmail account was a dead give-away. I also do not live in Texas. Of course, I went to my Amazon account just to make sure there was no such transaction and then put it in the fraud file. This is the fourth such email I've gotten since Friday. One other from Amazon but not nearly as sophisticated, one supposedly from Paypal, and one telling me that I had just renewed my anti-virus with Norton for $495 a year.

None of these asked me to click any attachments but all instead had a number to call. If I didn't think I get scammed with some sort of toll fee, I'd call just to see what kind of bogus story these people can come up with.

[Linked Image]

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4568994 - 05/18/21 10:43 PM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Just opening those emails they know you are a live person. Also some of those email contains things that trigger when you open the email without needing to open or download any attachments. Don't open those emails. Mark them as spam. If they are already in spam, empty the folder immediately.

#4568997 - 05/18/21 10:56 PM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
Herman Offline
Herman  Offline

I remember reading a report that some e-mail does not even need to be clicked or opened, in order to infect a recipient computer. The mere fact of dropping into your Inbox was supposedly sufficient to transmit infection. (I did not see the details on how this was done.)

Regardless, I agree that fraud such as that is better reported as 'phishing scam' and deleted immediately.

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon community's #1 choice

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
#4569007 - 05/18/21 11:53 PM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

#4569011 - 05/19/21 12:47 AM Re: Amazon Warning [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I am switching to a paid, secure eMail account. Done with this crap.

I have a VPN, gonna start using it ALL the time.

New computer this fall, no Yahoo mail, no Google, Apple or Bezos world. No cookies, no pop-ups.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.