Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4568635 - 05/16/21 01:28 PM Re: About Early Victories [Re: vonBaur]  
CodyCoyote Offline
CodyCoyote  Offline

For years there's been talk about how much information to put into claims; location, witnesses, aircraft description, etc., under the assumption that the more accurate your claim the higher the probability of it being approved. Logically that makes no sense whatsoever. Pol and Winder have worked wonders but surely you can't believe they've written a program that actually reads your claims? We have people all over the globe playing, are you saying they can read claims in different languages as well? That's nonsense. At the most the program might count characters to see if you put in a certain amount of information, but it isn't reading the text.

It's probably a simple algorithm combined with an odds multiplier that determines your fate. Perhaps the more missions you complete the greater the odds of success, or something like that. But there's always a chance you won't get approved. Filling out the claims form is more for your benefit and maintaining the immersion level than actually determining if you get credit for a kill. Random chance has more to do with getting your claim approved than whether or not you spelled Bettencourt correctly.

#4568637 - 05/16/21 01:35 PM Re: About Early Victories [Re: vonBaur]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

We'll have to agree to disagree folks on the idea of the claims setting of "normal" being random or not. I believe it is, others believe it is not, and that is quite fine. However, from my own experience, and it's been extensive as I've been enjoying this sim since the early OFF days, the claims awards are quite random. I've dug into the pilot files for the claims and have seen there that claims can be awarded or denied with very low probability numbers, (30 and under), and also awarded or denied with very high probability numbers (70 and above), with the same randomness throughout the scale. There is no apparent correlation at all between those probability numbers and the odds of having a claim either awarded or denied - none, nada, zip. Not a complaint of the system mind you, just an observation on my part based on over a decade of trying every conceivable combination when filling out the claims form in an effort to figure out what it's actually looking for when it decides whether to give you credit or not. I think it's a digital roll of the die somewhere deep inside the sim coding - 1, 3, or 5, denied; 2, 4, or 6, awarded. biggrin

EDIT: CodyCoyote, our posts crossed in the cloud. I believe you're absolutely spot on with your analysis. yep

EDIT TO EDIT: I will add, it's still a great immersive feature to be able to fill out a full claims report with all the detail and notes our little WWI combat aviation hearts desire. cheers

#4568644 - 05/16/21 01:55 PM Re: About Early Victories [Re: vonBaur]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
As far as I can tell the system only verifies your witness. If the pilot wasn’t flying at the time and you’ve quoted him as your witness that’s an automatic rejection. It may also reject claims if your witness died during that mission - would make sense, but I have no proof of that.
I don’t think it even checks the type of plane you are claiming. So, the description is really for your own benefit, not the claims board.
Spot on Cody.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4568646 - 05/16/21 02:09 PM Re: About Early Victories [Re: vonBaur]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Good point Fullofit, and I've seen the same thing. Enter the wrong witness and the claim will be denied. Better to enter no witness at all than the wrong one as it will give credit on occasion for "no witness" claims. I also agree about entering correct or incorrect plane types, there seems to be no apparent difference on the claim outcome. Sooooo, that brings us back to - random. biggrin

#4568648 - 05/16/21 02:18 PM Re: About Early Victories [Re: vonBaur]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Absolutely!

#4568649 - 05/16/21 02:42 PM Re: About Early Victories [Re: vonBaur]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Hallo,

at first: with "you must know what you write" I don't mean full sentences, a full text. I mean of course a witness of your flight, the right aeroplane and ... additionally a ground-unit, ballon, etc. I can't say, if the system "read" such hit-words (WOFF is global only in english or not?). I write it and I have no proof so far, that it is completely senseless.

Perhaps you are right, Cody, Fullofit and Lou. But what would it mean in consequence, when only witness and aeroplane are relevant and all the rest is random? It would mean, that the "normal claim" is only a joke! And that is the opposite of all, what I know from OBD.
And ... if it is so easy, why must we discuss about it? @Pol and @Wlnder could confirm it with one short sentence!

Greetings

Last edited by Becker01; 05/16/21 02:44 PM.
#4568653 - 05/16/21 03:11 PM Re: About Early Victories [Re: vonBaur]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Becker, normal claim is not a joke. It simply works in a different way than you may have expected.
Why do we even discuss it? Because the question’s been asked and us being us, we like to discuss all things WoFF. Good and bad.
BTW, you can do your own test. Write the descriptions in German and see what happens. Don’t write anything in there and see what happens. Write something irrelevant in there and see what happens. Then draw your own conclusion. We’ve done it and came to our conclusions.

#4568714 - 05/17/21 07:09 AM Re: About Early Victories [Re: vonBaur]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
I use(d) this..... but it's you who has to decide if the claim is put in or not.

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4456429/1

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again