Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4568535 - 05/15/21 04:38 PM This sim is hard! (or I'm bad at it) :D  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

So after a long time of not playing this sim, I started a campaign on Puerto Rico.

5 minutes into my first mission, to recon a telecoms tower, I saw 2 enemy helo's off to my 10 o'clock. They hadn't seen me, and I could probably have snuck past without getting seen, as they were flying away from me. But I thought, what the hell, a couple of extra targets in the log book.

So I turned towards them. Using my air radar in single sweep, and a narrow focus I periodically pinged for their location. When in range, I let off a couple of Stingers. Which got their attention. Then out of nowhere, a flash, and I was dead. I don't think I even had time to fire off countermeasures. I'm playing on Medium difficulty, with realistic avionics as I thought it was be too easy otherwise. I think I'll lower the difficulty now, either that or accept the steeper than expected learning curve.

Last edited by messyhead; 05/15/21 04:38 PM.
#4568550 - 05/15/21 06:09 PM Re: This sim is hard! (or I'm bad at it) :D [Re: messyhead]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
Yes, arguably the hardest and possibly most frustrating sim to succeed in right now that I have. Still, always check the in-sim log if you're not sure what happened, because your wingman might have run into you.

I use:

Copilot Target ID = Novice, since the AI will detect and fire on you seemingly immediately upon certain requirements being met, anyway.

Copilot ECM = Off - I had this On before, but last time I deleted the game.cfg (to get ultra wide screen option again), ran the sim once and put the Dynamics back all to ON for FM 0, copied back the EECH.ini saved from before, and then changed compatibility in Windows 7 64 to Windows 7 (not sure why it should help). This value is now off for some reason. Anyway, things seem more stable and I can get back into Cuba, so I'm not touching anything.

Avionics = Advanced

Difficulty = Hard - Required to get a lot of Arneh or TheAlx's increased complexity working apparently. Lowering the difficulty just makes it more simplistic, even if sometimes the AI seems omnipotent and all-powerful on Hard.

Copilot Reporting Targets = On, as it just gives a heads up to something you might not have noticed while you were doing the flying.

In spite of all this, the SAMs in particular have overly-effective detection capability. The cone scan was supposedly improved, but I really don't see much evidence of that in practice. The SAMs respond too quickly even if I'm NOE, the missiles are crazy accurate, can reacquire over obstacles (probably seeker FOV, thrust duration, and maneuverability issues) and those batteries have infinite magazines. I was even being shot down by Havoks from like 10 miles away. Add to that the tiny required recon range to X, issues with the FLIR, and the lack of functioning tab 3 1 and tab 3 2, and the AI consequently seem to have a distinct advantage currently. You have to be extremely careful and cautious, but it certainly keeps you on your toes and is rewarding when you survive a mission... often after having returned to base to repair/rearm/refuel several times just for something like a recon mission.

Off the top of my head, I can't actually recall if I can repair/rearm/refuel at any of my FARPs I want... That'd be useful to base aircraft safely back but use the forward ones for that.

For that matter, campaign commander letting us create transfer missions ourselves or allocate any unit on our side (not just helos) to tasks would probably change things for the better. Maybe a full campaign commander like that would offset the lack of tab 3 1 and tab 3 2 functionality.

Last edited by Reticuli; 05/17/21 02:02 AM.

The term "necroposting" was invented by a person with no social memory beyond a year. People with a similar hangup are those o.k. with the internet being transient vapor.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011/12/methanol-wins-open-wager.html

Saitek X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick
#4568712 - 05/17/21 06:46 AM Re: This sim is hard! (or I'm bad at it) :D [Re: messyhead]  
Hijongpark Offline
Hijongpark  Offline

Use laser guided hellfire against helicopters, stingers are trash.

Only use stinger when you dont have any more weapons to use.

#4568716 - 05/17/21 07:25 AM Re: This sim is hard! (or I'm bad at it) :D [Re: Hijongpark]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted by Hijongpark

I don't remember them being so ineffective though, or maybe I always played on easier settings.

#4568786 - 05/17/21 05:45 PM Re: This sim is hard! (or I'm bad at it) :D [Re: messyhead]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
Originally Posted by messyhead
Originally Posted by Hijongpark

I don't remember them being so ineffective though, or maybe I always played on easier settings.

IR missiles do seem less capable than they used to be, but then again I'd prefer easier escape of all other missiles in the game with sufficient maneuvering and the reason I put chaff and flare effectiveness at 0.7 in the eech.ini. Maybe I should rethink those values further, though. A red helo can be doing nothing and just be sitting there and a stinger will still not hit it at least 50% of the time how I currently have it... assuming I'm not right next to them. It would be cool if it had something to do with the hot ground being behind it and me above or the sun being in the background, but I doubt that's being modeled.

Last edited by Reticuli; 05/17/21 05:52 PM.

The term "necroposting" was invented by a person with no social memory beyond a year. People with a similar hangup are those o.k. with the internet being transient vapor.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011/12/methanol-wins-open-wager.html

Saitek X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick
#4568838 - 05/17/21 10:13 PM Re: This sim is hard! (or I'm bad at it) :D [Re: messyhead]  
phenixfulcrum2 Offline
phenixfulcrum2  Offline

Is it possible to tweak some parameters in the files of the game for decreasing enemy SAM / Missile precision and/or damage ?

#4568839 - 05/17/21 10:15 PM Re: This sim is hard! (or I'm bad at it) :D [Re: messyhead]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

You can edit the GWUT values, but I think it's quite complicated to edit, and not all changes have the desired effect.

#4568942 - 05/18/21 05:01 PM Re: This sim is hard! (or I'm bad at it) :D [Re: messyhead]  
phenixfulcrum2 Offline
phenixfulcrum2  Offline

Ok thank you, i am going to check the GWUT file !

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.