Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4568264 - 05/13/21 10:46 AM Atillia or Three Kingdoms  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I'd like to add a new Total War title and it boils down to Attila or Three kingdoms.I'd like to get real gamer recommendations as which one is the better choice,Mostly been plating Empire,Medieval II and Shogun II..Just have the urge to go with a new game.Thanks for any suggestions

Russ
Semper Fi
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4568267 - 05/13/21 11:22 AM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've not played Three Kingdoms, but it looks good and has a fine rep. Attila is a really good TW game, with a great campaign and interesting mechanics. Attila has my favorite city battles in the series, and actually is the only title where I look forward to these instead of mostly auto-resolving them. It also has the only horde mechanics I've found appealing through the series. I think I had put Attila second in my favorite TW games list recently, after Warhammer 2.

I'd think you can't go wrong with either, but not having played them both I can only suggest Attila.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4568269 - 05/13/21 11:33 AM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: rwatson]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Good question rwatson and in my opinion the decision ultimately comes down to one thing: Which historical era/setting interests you more? If you have zero interest and knowledge about Ancient China then I honestly recommend you get Attila. While Attila deals with the late Roman Empire era (ie decline of Western Rome) there are still many aspects that remain recognizable for most European and American players.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4568271 - 05/13/21 11:57 AM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Just the two men I was hoping would answer always good solid advice...For me it doesn't necessarily boil down to interest in the era.I'm interested in a solid game that holds my interest.The ones I liked most were Shogun 2 ,Warhammer II,and Medieval II with Empire.Just feel like tiring a new game in the series..So based on these two posts Attila is the smart choice and might as well get the Charlemagne Campaign Pack,,I'll probably grab Three Kingdoms if it goes on sale. I just wish I could get the first Shogun game running in win 10 I really enjoyed that game the Rome series I didn't really play much.But down the road I'll try the re-mastered one.Thanks

Russ
Semper Fi
#4568273 - 05/13/21 12:16 PM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: rwatson]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by rwatson
.But down the road I'll try the re-mastered one.Thanks

I have almost 30 hours into it so far and I've been liking it a lot. My only warning is that be prepared to reprogram your brain because Rome Remastered plays very differently from the newer TW titles.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4568274 - 05/13/21 12:20 PM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I think Attila is a fine choice. In case it may interest you we had a long thread about it a few years back.

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads....mage-plus-the-last-roman-too#Post4377780

Sort of a first look/review/AAR hybrid but you may be able to take something from it.

AoC is worth it too, and probably bundled these days.

#4568275 - 05/13/21 12:24 PM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: rwatson]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Concerning "Three Kingdoms", the game mechanics and graphics are really well done but the game is so steeped in the lore (both historical and fantasy) of Ancient China that someone who has very little or no interest in that era and setting will be missing out on the immersion in my opinion.

#4568365 - 05/14/21 12:30 PM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
All these titles (aside from the remaster I think) are on sale on Steam at the mo. I kicked around Rome 2 and Three Kingdoms last night but did not pull the trigger. Rome 2 is reasonably priced. Three Kingdoms, even on sale, would be $80+ even with the discounts. Not that I need all the DLC, but still.

I was closer to buying Rome 2. Is it 1 YPT? Knowing very little about this one, I assume that characters (governors, generals, etc) and politics is a focus. Is it? At 1 YPT do these characters come and go too quickly? Has anyone played Rome 2 with the Divide et Impera mod? Any impressions?

#4568368 - 05/14/21 12:41 PM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond

I was closer to buying Rome 2. Is it 1 YPT? Knowing very little about this one, I assume that characters (governors, generals, etc) and politics is a focus. Is it? At 1 YPT do these characters come and go too quickly? Has anyone played Rome 2 with the Divide et Impera mod? Any impressions?

Yes, the vanilla Rome 2 is 1 year per turn. Rome 2 doesn't use governors but instead uses "Edicts" which provide special bonuses when you own an entire province. I have not played Rome 2 with any mods but I've heard nothing but great things about Divide et Impera.

#4568374 - 05/14/21 01:38 PM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks PM. So I was just noodling around the net, and came across this, which is an article about how relevant Rome 1 still is in 2021. It's not about the remaster, but is quite in-depth and a good read for those of us who experienced this game all those years ago. I must admit that the memory refresh is tempting me to give it another go. Not sure I will, but this article reminded me of some things I really liked about Rome 1 that had slipped from my mind, such as the Man of the Hour mechanic.

https://strategyfrontgaming.com/rome-total-war-review/

#4568377 - 05/14/21 02:14 PM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Got Attila and just getting acquainted with it. Running through the prolong tutorials and starting to love it.I guess my brain was off a bit and thought it was more Genghis Khan than what it actually is.Pair it up with the remastered Rome and it's a good set..I have enough gaming there to last me through the summer. Good to have some good advisors here.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4568379 - 05/14/21 02:18 PM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: rwatson]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I guess my brain was off a bit and thought it was more Genghis Khan than what it actually is.

Don't feel bad because the Huns and the Golden Horde of Genghis Khan are often confused by many people. wink

#4568382 - 05/14/21 02:35 PM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah it's a really good Total War game, Attila. Last night I nearly started a new run, as I really enjoy the campaign in this one.

When I was on Steam last night I clicked on something that took me to a page showing all the TW products on sale, and it struck me how little of the DLC I have for these games. Like in Attila, I have AoC and the Last Roman, I think it is called, but none of the culture packs they were showing. Might be a good time to snap some of those up and try a different faction.

#4568386 - 05/14/21 03:02 PM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Might be a good time to snap some of those up and try a different faction.

Some of the "Desert Culture" factions are a lot of fun to play. I did a campaign run as Aksum and really enjoyed it due to the very unique units and buildings of that faction.

#4568409 - 05/14/21 06:22 PM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It's funny but my very first run in the Attila campaign (proper) was as Sassanids and I quickly ended it as it didn't click and at the time I mused it might be from staring at all that sand smile

I then switched to Normans, or Franks, Saxons or somesuch and it was all good from there. Not that I couldn't get in to one of these desert dwellers, but I seem to prefer more northern climes. I guess in terms of the campaign, the dwindling food supply just brings the rest of the factions to your level when you are playing in the desert.

I'll have another look this evening at the sale and see if something lights my fire.

#4568411 - 05/14/21 06:28 PM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
It's funny but my very first run in the Attila campaign (proper) was as Sassanids and I quickly ended it as it didn't click and at the time I mused it might be from staring at all that sand smile

The Sassanid Empire is the absolute perfect faction to play for a newbie to the TW series because you get a LOT of everything from the beginning. Lots of money, units, territory and your only immediate threat are the White Huns who can be easily taken out by moving all of your armies east. For any experienced TW player, the Sassanid campaign would be boring in my opinion.

#4568501 - 05/15/21 11:38 AM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I did indeed revisit the CA sale on Steam, and kicked around my choices. I clicked on one of the videos for Rome 2 and it was showing the map, and the camera swung and panned around the Med, with a low angle that brought the relief out. At that instant I knew I'd buy it. Love the map in this game. So I bought it along with the Greek states and Pirates DLCs. That was a little under US$25. Having fun playing the tutorial campaign.

This is probably my favorite map in the series. The color palette, the topography, the lighting/shading and the mist hanging in the valleys. This is highly appealing to me, and I am such a sucker for maps. I'm the last human who prefers maps over GPS lol.

[Linked Image]

Having bought it and launched the launcher I was struck by how many of these games I now have. The launcher displays them all across the top. Owning Rome 2 means there are just three main titles I do not have, Shogun and Medieval, versions 1 and Three Kingdoms. No other series comes close to the number of Total War titles I have. CA have a winning formula, no doubt. By waiting seven years lol I get the game in it's most seasoned state. This is how I roll smile

I plan to play a campaign or two stock, then give the DEI mod a go.

Attached Files Rome2map.jpg

#4568710 - 05/17/21 03:07 AM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
By waiting seven years lol I get the game in it's most seasoned state.

The initial release of Rome 2 was a disaster. It was a bug-ridden mess and an incomplete game. When the "Imperator" update came out though the game was improved at least 10 fold.

#4568715 - 05/17/21 07:14 AM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: rwatson]  
Forward Observer Online content
Forward Observer  Online Content

Central Arkansas,US of A
I just wish I could get the first Shogun game running in win 10 I really enjoyed that game the Rome series I didn't really play much.But down the road I'll try the re-mastered one.Thanks

If you really want the play the first Shogun, there's a Steam version available that will run on modern systems. You can find it on sale on Steam right now for only $2.50. I think it also includes the Warlord expansion which is about the attempted but failed Mongol invasion of Japan.

Also fixed and available at $2.50 is the first Medieval TW game.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4568731 - 05/17/21 12:16 PM Re: Atillia or Three Kingdoms [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That's going too far, Shogun and Med 1, in my view. Perhaps some players will find a lot to like with these first two titles, but I think it would be hard to go so far back when we have all of these newer titles. Then again, I've not played those two. I just see myself hating the camera and ditching it straight away haha smile

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
By waiting seven years lol I get the game in it's most seasoned state.

The initial release of Rome 2 was a disaster. It was a bug-ridden mess and an incomplete game. When the "Imperator" update came out though the game was improved at least 10 fold.

Yeah, I remember. we were all excited for it, then the early returns were disastrous, and I kept holding off until a few months became nearly a decade lol. Better late then never.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.