Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4568295 - 05/13/21 04:23 PM The "One-Eyed" Halberstadt  
Taal Offline
Taal  Offline

Poland
Hello
I'm flying this machine now. Great - so far I've dealt with the Fokker E III.

A / The problem is aiming from the machine gun hanging (?) on the starboard side. After pressing the F 6 key, I can only see the starboard side of the machine. Often the target disappears on the left side. Oops ... I understand that WoFF is very close to historical solutions, but did the German pilot really lean out of the cockpit so much to look through the viewfinder?
Is the machine gun in WoFF parallel with the axis of the machine? Can I aim straight ahead while looking through the windscreen?

B / Can the plane hide in the clouds from foreign fighters? (AI will see him?)

C / You can see red range circles on the pre-flight check-in map. Why two wheels? Optimum range and range at full engine revs?

greetings

Bertincourt
03 X 1916

#4568303 - 05/13/21 05:17 PM Re: The "One-Eyed" Halberstadt [Re: Taal]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Welcome.

A - good isn't it. WW1 often they were more concerned with getting the aircraft to actually fly, then once they solve that, secondly the thought is - how to add a gun? You should be able to see tracers where they are going and use that to adjust, oh and get in very close range before firing
B- Yes if the cloud is one of the thicker ones you can hide in the clouds and so can other AI. If you have labels on they may often disappear too, so no help to find them.
C- Circles show the main areas of operations. Inner circle is main focus of operations. Outer one shows max area of your operations. In the Outer ring you will still have enemy flights (generally less than the inner ring) and ground targets.

Last edited by Polovski; 05/13/21 05:17 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4568305 - 05/13/21 06:37 PM Re: The "One-Eyed" Halberstadt [Re: Taal]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by Taal
Hello
I'm flying this machine now. Great - so far I've dealt with the Fokker E III.

A / The problem is aiming from the machine gun hanging (?) on the starboard side. After pressing the F 6 key, I can only see the starboard side of the machine. Often the target disappears on the left side. Oops ... I understand that WoFF is very close to historical solutions, but did the German pilot really lean out of the cockpit so much to look through the viewfinder?
Is the machine gun in WoFF parallel with the axis of the machine? Can I aim straight ahead while looking through the windscreen?

B / Can the plane hide in the clouds from foreign fighters? (AI will see him?)

C / You can see red range circles on the pre-flight check-in map. Why two wheels? Optimum range and range at full engine revs?

greetings

Bertincourt
03 X 1916

Huh, I believe I just released a video on the bird you are talking about!

And yeah, I had no idea where my shots were going. I can never really see the tracers, so I sometimes use the tracer mod, even though I think they were not very prominent realistically at this point in the war, although it does make up for some of the graphical limitations of the CFS3 engine and computer games in general where you can't really see bullet strikes all that well.

*edit: So I went and re-watched the video and I should probably clarify that I can see the ENEMY tracers zinging around my head just fine, I can never really see MY tracers! Also, just as a pure compliment, I think the way that the AI now shoots more but hits less is simply brilliant!

Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 05/13/21 06:46 PM.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4568308 - 05/13/21 06:52 PM Re: The "One-Eyed" Halberstadt [Re: Taal]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Good point, Rick. I have also noticed that the AI seems more willing to shoot, but less likely to hit anything -- a lot like me and other human pilots.

Great job, OBD.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4568350 - 05/14/21 08:52 AM Re: The "One-Eyed" Halberstadt [Re: Taal]  
Taal Offline
Taal  Offline

Poland
Hello

I watched the book "Halberstadt Fighters" by Peter Grosz. There is no sight in front of the pilot's cabin in any photo or drawing. I think that, as Polovski writes in this period, they approached the opponent at a distance from which they simply had to hit.

Thanks for the additional explanations - clouds and circles.

greetings

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM