Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 295 of 366 1 2 293 294 295 296 297 365 366
#4567995 - 05/10/21 09:57 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline
trustworthykebab  Offline

Report coming tomorrow about our dear Albrecht biggrin Things are getting real now for him. Stay tuned!

#4567998 - 05/10/21 10:42 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Raine - Goodness knows, that man must be deliberately blind.
Sheesh, what a massive misfortunate has struck your man. But at least it isn't death, could've been worse! Could've been an amputation!

Epower - Good luck to your man with whatever matters he may get into in London, at least he's not in the hospital anymore!

Tross - The weather really does help with such missions, but it doesn't help with strangely acting COs... Really is a mystery as to what Hayden's playing at with that, nor how the two of them even managed to miss a fiery explosion in the sky like that... Either they've both lost their wits and went blind or there's something up here. Indeed though, both claims are rather valid, but that isn't up to Dean to argue over, it seems.
Speaking of balloon busting though, seems like Jacob himself had a chance to punish a few such interlopers who didn't have the joy of hiding with the weather. Good on that kill, look forward to the presentation ceremony!

Carrick - Dear oh dear, that sounds like it was a pretty terrifying experience, but at least Fay got out of it alive and not captured, so that's a good thing of course.

2/LT Dean Andrews Cunningham
№64 Squadron RAF
Izles-Les-Hameux, Flanders
10th May, 1918.

5 confirmed

Captain Hayden is a man that I can respect for several reasons. He's a good pilot, he seems an alright chap, and he isn't utterly obsessed with power nor is he deluded.... But dear lord has he annoyed me enough this morning. The first claim that I've made was unfortunately rejected on the principle of them not seeing the balloon explode and thus not even knowing if it for sure was shot down or got pulled down. What nonsense is this!? Yes it was cloudy, but surely they'd have had to seen it, unless they were too busy doing god knows what else up there. And my missing ammunition too!? The second claim, too, was rejected in favour of another pilot who supposedly begun shooting before me. That one I have less issues with, of course, as we all attacked at roughly the same time... But dear lord has Hayden really let me down today. What I write next almost pains me to write, as today Lehman has proved himself more useful than Hayden in that regard.

The first flight of the day, with the better weather accompanying us on our way was another attack on a balloon in the exact same position as the two from yesterday. It was a little strange to me, but it seems like HQ was planning some advance on that flank and really wanted that bloody balloon gone. Oh well, all the more opportunities for me. This time I was going to try and make sure everyone knows it was me that got that blasted balloon and they'd have no excuse to say it wasn't me. We took off and climbed just like before, flying at cloud level toward the balloon. Not long after I sighted the gasbag itself, and ignoring the rest of our flight of 5 I dove down right towards it, speeding away from them. They of course sighted this and figured I was going for an attack and tried to follow me, but by the time they were even getting close I was already in the middle of my first and last pass, as the balloon ignited and I looped for another round, but it blew apart right before I could begin my other attack. Satisfied with this sudden onslaught and kill, certainly witnessed by the entire Flight, I formed up with them and we headed for home.

This is where Lehman managed to prove some worth to himself, as upon getting out of his craft he ran up to me and with clear joy in his voice congratulated me on the attack and what he called my "fireworks display" which in his own words was "wunderbar". I filed out the claim, which Lehman and the rest of the lads were able to back up, confirming it for me. While I lost out on the two initial claims I've made, I still managed to bag myself another one, and with this confirmation I now had myself 5 kills though. A part of me was wishing that my 5th would've been an airman, but if this is what I get then I shall not complain. A 5th kill, be it balloon or plane is still worth celebrating.

Sadly there was little time to celebrate, as Lehman was to then lead the five of us on a bombing mission of a railway, loaded with Cooper bombs. I eagerly went ahead to the mission, eager to get it over with so that I could retreat over to the Mess and perhaps have a few drinks in celebration. Our mechanics finished attaching the bombs and we took off with no trouble into the slightly more cloudy sky. We climbed in our 5-ship formation and started heading towards the lines, but then one of our SE5s started to lag behind and eventually pulled back and started heading back home. I was of course concerned, wondering what sort of reason he had for doing that but we decided not to investigate and instead pressed on in a 4-man formation. Soon we crossed the lines and were greeted by a storm of archie, which we managed to navigate through and found the railyard. Unfortunately, our bombs missed and we ended up heading home, not wanting to hang around any longer than we had to.

Coming home we were met with the saddening news in regards to our dissapearing SE5, which belonged to our 2/LT Morgan. While we don't know what exact troubles he had, we can speculate that his engine likely had a malfunction and broke down, causing him to pull away and try to head for home. Unfortunately he wouldn't get home, as troops near the frontlines reported seeing his craft descending rather steeply while trying to land over a field and subsequently a crash ending in a most spectacular fireball, by the end of which almost nothing remained. It seems that every success of mine just has to be followed by some sort of misfortune... Regardless, we ended up drinking in the mess tonight anyway. One toast to me getting a 5th, and one toast to Morgan. Celebrations subdued but I suppose it is the thought that counts at this point?

Attached Files Shot05-10-21-22-03-31.jpgShot05-10-21-22-08-53.jpgShot05-10-21-22-10-21.jpgShot05-10-21-22-11-22.jpgShot05-10-21-22-45-40.jpgShot05-10-21-22-46-55.jpg

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
I bet you do, too, Buddy."
#4568003 - 05/10/21 11:21 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, diving on those sneaky Strutters is the only way to avoid being rammed by them, I guess. Keep Jacob safe. Germany needs their heroes alive.
Congrats on the confirmed Sopwith, too bad about the Nieuport though. Hopefully next time you’ll have more witnesses.
Ah, the SPADs. They appear to be the French equivalent of a Pfalz - easy meat. It’s just too bad Jacob wasn’t able to prevent the destruction of the balloon. 28 already? Kühn is on a roll. Congrats!

MFair, you took the words out of my mouth. “Russians, go figure.”
In Mother Russia you don’t fly a plane. The plane flies you.

NR, I’m pretty sure Dean would love to see Lehman behind bars for fraternizing with the enemy. Unfortunately, we only have hearsay to go by. We need proof!
Now, about those pixies … what’s a few sacrificial Cornwall sprites for the good of the nation? Right? We need luck to win this war, darn it!
True, catching a Dreidecker or two on their return trip home would be a boon, but a cornered Fokker is a dangerous beast, especially when you know how well it can corner. Smirnov learned that lesson rather well. Wasn’t it Sun Tzu himself who said: If you fight Triplanes, prepare to land hard?
And what can I say? Those bloody Capitaine’s pets just keep getting in the way.
So, Dean was volontold for a clandestine mission to poke out enemy’s eyes in the sky. Was it a good idea to bring Lehman along? I’m pretty sure he was looking the other way when the balloon went off to deny poor Dean his claim. I don’t know - those two louts had only one job. Were they accompanying Cunningham as ornaments?
Then another run in the afternoon. It must have felt more ripe a race than a mission. Who can reach the gasbag first? The trick is not to be the first one, but the last to fire at the balloon before it explodes. I’m sorry to say, but you may as well play the lottery and have better chances of winning … erm, confirmation.
Fingers crossed for the morning balloon that somebody saw a bright orange ball of fire against the grey sky.
Alas, I see now it was not meant to be. Bloody blind Hayden.

You almost had me with this morning’s another balloon excursion and Lehman’s inexplicable jubilation. I was already thinking that he was so happy because Dean shot down his own balloon by mistake. But this works too. Congratulations on becoming an ace. Perhaps you should specialize in bringing down the gasbags?
Got to love those spent shell casings falling behind the SE in one of the shots.

Raine, oh dear, not again! Attacking two-seaters from above! What was poor George thinking? Perhaps he’s planning to get a Blighty and be sent home to Bronwyn? I like that.

Epower, glad to see Oliver recovering and taking it easy. Although ferrying aeroplanes is a stretch in his current condition. So, back to London. I can already see Clarissa getting Winningstad into all sorts of trouble. But that’s part of her charm. Femme Fatale and all that. BTW, don’t forget to write to nurse Jesse. And … what is that contraption with wings floating on water in that painting?

Carrick, any landing you can run/crawl away from, is a good landing.

Kebab, stop teasing!

10 May, 1918 06:45 morning mission
Hétomesnil, Marne Sector
Esc SPA 67, GC 12
Sergent Pyotr Fyodor Smirnov
SPAD VII
3 confirmed kills

His Dreidecker claim was uncontested. Many pilots from his flight were driven down by the swarm of Triplanes and they followed Smirnov’s progress from below. He couldn’t hear any of it at the time, but each pilot seeing the Fokker brought down let out a loud whoop, as if the victory belonged to each one of them. Pyotr was very pleased with himself when he learned of his confirmed kill and had been congratulated by Capitaine himself. He was so happy he could kiss a pig on the lips. But … not a real pig, да?

The morning mission to patrol over friendly troop camp near Ressons-sur-Matz was uneventful.

10 May, 1918 11:40 noon mission
Hétomesnil, Marne Sector
Esc SPA 67, GC 12
SPAD VII
3 confirmed kills

At noon the escadrille was sent to patrol friendly front line sector between Roye and Montdidier. No contact with the enemy this time either. They’ve simply been thrown about by strong wind gusts. Pyotr didn’t eat anything else for the remainder of the day.

10 May, 1918 16:30 evening mission
Hétomesnil, Marne Sector
Esc SPA 67, GC 12
SPAD VII
3 confirmed kills

Then in the late afternoon, A and B flights were ordered to patrol over friendly aerodrome at Ravenel. Near their assigned patrol area they encountered enemy two-seaters getting ready to drop their eggs on the airfield, but after seeing the two flights of SPADs bearing down on them, the Huns reconsidered and turned back for their lines. Little it did them and the French biplanes were faster and easily caught up with them. Pyotr decided on a different approach this time. He overtook the enemy flight and attacked head on. He had very little time to aim and fire and he nearly collided with one of the larger machines. He had heard the Strutter crews do this all the time, but he wasn’t about to gamble with his life. After avoiding the head-on collision he came around and joined the proper hunt. One of the boys from the A Flight eliminated the machine Smirnov had targeted. It was time to get back home after that.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4568007 - 05/11/21 12:41 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Sgt Henri du Fay

My 1st night in Zee Trenches. with 2nd Infantry, 4 th Battalion,1st Division II Corps Due to Zee Boche on the move The night is very long

https://giphy.com/gifs/sandy-hill-DdwY05Pf2oZc3WLA4F/fullscreen

#4568079 - 05/11/21 05:37 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Henri du Fay.

What a night, loud noises and shell fire. Glad to be headed to the Rear on the Supply Wagons at Noon. I did doze off for a while and dreamed of the Last act that I hired for the Saloon before joining up.

https://giphy.com/gifs/xkGiM0JZ7wLRyTlgfW/fullscreen

#4568085 - 05/11/21 06:40 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

NR, bad luck on the ballon. But as they say, third time is the charm eh!

Raine, another hospital stay. At least you are still north of hell. Hope your man recover’s quick.

EPower, off to England again. A deserved break I would say.

AT, Jacob is really making a name for himself with the regular victories and bling.

Carrick, better to be in a trench than buried in one! Next time, you must have matches.

Fullofit, those windy patrols are tiresome!

Hope to get Ludwig caught up tonight.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4568092 - 05/11/21 07:42 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
NR - Congratulations on Cunningham's 5th victory, almost makes up for the rejected ones.... almost. He certainly wasn't letting anyone get in the way of downing that one. Unfortunate about Morgan, you can't take landing a powerless crate for granted but he obviously got that one very wrong.

Fullofit - So Pyotr has another kill, good stuff, he's finding his feet well. He's on his way to some french bling methinks. From kicking cats to pecking pigs, I'm not sure I'd want him around animals much though. Three missions for him there, they're working him hard. Shame about the missed attack on the two seater but head on in a SPAD VII is not easy at all.

Carrick - Poor Henri, you spend all that time trying to get out of the trenches only to spend more time in one wearing flying gear. I hope he keeps his head down and doesn't go back covered in lice.

MFair - If they keep sending their aircraft at Jacob he'll do his best to bring them down.....seems fair.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4568093 - 05/11/21 07:47 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

MFair: Henri will have to use the Manly Art of Avoiding the question when talking to his Captainie. Perhaps , Upgrading the heavy Arty destroying everything in " No Man's Land " . so a fire was not needed.

#4568106 - 05/11/21 08:51 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Leutenant-zur-see Jacob Kühn, EK1, HHO
Marine-Feld-Jagdstaffel 1
Jabbeke airfield

28 confirmed kills

11th May 1918

Morning sortie

With the presentation of Jacob's Hohenzollern House Order scheduled for 3pm there were some who may have thought he might have had a morning off but no such luck. Not that Jacob would have accepted that anyway.

Oberleutenant Saschenberg confirmed that Kette Zwei would be heading towards Ypres again and he would lead the flight himself.

The weather had closed in again and rain was rattling the windscreen as Jacob throttled his engine and took off.

After forming up and climbing above the rain clouds, Kette Zwei headed out towards Ypres.

They'd reached about halfway to Ypres when Jacob spotted a formation of aircraft ahead and above. They were flying across Kette Zwei's path and hadn't seen them yet.

Just then Oberleutenant Saschenberg waggled his wings and pointed to the right. Jacob focused hard and then saw another formation of aircraft at a similar height to him.

"Gott im himmel" said Jacob to himself. Because he realised that if the formation ahead saw Kette Zwei and the formation to the right saw them, they'd be caught in a trap......a real trap.

Saschenberg took matters into his own hands though by leading Kette Zwei over to the right towards that formation which was the nearest and closing.

Jacob watched the first formation who still hadn't seen them and watched as they disappeared into thick cloud. Now they could concentrate on the second formation which Jacob could now see were Strutters.

Jacob charged his guns and lined up on an incoming enemy aircraft. He fired as the Strutter flew overhead, catching the Strutter by surprise. The frenchman rolled and dived but Jacob was already turning and came around below the Strutter and under the tail. He closed in and put a devastating burst into the enemy aircraft. The Strutter's fuel tank took a hammering and virtually exploded.

The stricken aircraft plummeted down as Jacob watched and smashed into the ground.

Jacob looked behind and saw another Strutter trying to get on his tail. He flipped his Albatros around and a turning match ensued. As Jacob pulled the tightest turns possible he felt bullets ripping into his wings from the Strutter's gunner who was firing across the gap at Jacob.

Jacob was incensed, he wasn't going to play second fiddle to an antiquated Strutter, no matter how skillful the pilot and gunner.

He squeezed a couple more degrees of turn out of his Albatros and clearly the Strutter was overdoing it as he now had to come out of the turn. Jacob now came around onto the tail of the Strutter as the gunner tried to keep Jacob at bay. Jacob was having nothing of it and poured bullets into the enemy.

The Strutter lurched over to the right and started spiralling down and down. Jacob watched as the Strutter crashed into the ground.

Jacob now took stock he was on his own and below the rain clouds. He headed home and reached it as several other Albatrosse did too.

On landing he made his report. He would have to wait for confirmation of both Strutters, a fact he found amazing given how the first one burst into flames but so be it.

In the afternoon, the entire Jasta, ground crew and guards were on parade. FKpt Adalbert, Prince of Prussia got out of his staff car, accompanied by his staff and walked over to Oberleutenant Saschenberg.

Saschenberg saluted and led the Prince over to the men. He then made his way along the line of pilots, speaking to a couple, until he reached Jacob.

"May I introduce Leutenant Jacob Kühn, your highness".

"Ahh, Leutenant Kühn, it is an honour to meet you and present you with the order of my family, the Hohenzollern House Order" said Prince Adalbert, who then took the medal from his adjutant and pinned it firmly to Jacob's chest.

"Thank you your highness" said Jacob.

"So how is the war in the skies going Herr Leutenant?" Asked Adalbert.

"It is extremely busy up there your highness, but we are fighting hard" said Jacob.

"Clearly! Meine freund, clearly" said Adalbert. "You are doing your Fatherland and our Kaiser proud" finished Prince Adalbert.

Jacob saluted and the Prince finished the inspection. Having done so he moved to a position in front of the men and began to speak.

"Meine herren, I am delighted to be here to present one of you with this high award on behalf of my family, our Kaiser and our grateful nation. We stand at the cusp of a great victory, as we speak our troops are attacking in huge numbers and winning great victories. The ultimate victory however depends on each and every one of you.....of us.... doing their duty to the upmost. I know you will give everything to achieve this and your victories speak for themselves. I command you, on behalf of my father, our beloved Kaiser and on behalf of our people, to press forward and never yield!" said the Prince.

He moved away and spoke with Oberleutenant Saschenberg for a few minutes before saluting and returning to his car.

A large celebration ensued in the kasino that evening.

Attached Files 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpgScreenshot_20210506-215316~2.pngScreenshot_20210506-214513~3.png

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4568116 - 05/11/21 10:12 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

AT, no rest for the wicked I see. Nice story and pics.

Feldwebel Ludwig Kemp
Jasta 56
May 11, 1918

It had been a hectic week for Kemp. Flying in foul weather was bad enough but it seemed the English were as determined as Kemp’s fellows were to wrestle control of the skies from each other. With a fight with DH4’s two days ago, Kemp’s total stood at 5. Kemp was a bit subdued at the celebration as he noticed 5 holes in his cockpit that entered the right side next to him and exited on the left side. He had determined they had missed him by mere inches. While their Albatri were adequate, the new Camels and SE’S were clearly superior. The talk of the new Fokker could not come soon enough as far as the pilots of 56 were concerned. A few days ago, a flight led by Kemp’s friend Beckman had run into some SE’s and lost 3 pilots. Beckman took it hard. That made 5 pilots in the last week.

The escort and patrol missions for the day had been terrible. Wind, rain and very cloudy. The only good thing about them was there was no contact, therefore no losses. In the afternoon, the rain came down in sheets. It was obvious to everyone that there would be no flying tomorrow. Kemp could only think of one thing. How to get to Roulers!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4568119 - 05/11/21 10:33 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Fullofit - Hey now, won't just be luck winning the war! Gotta have skill too! And those suicidal strutter squadrons... and uhh, more machines and airmen, for sure! Oh, and for sure that guidance from Sun Tzu in regards to Fokkers, for sure!
So its pigs now? At least the matter at hand isn't kicking them but the opposite! Dare I say, at this rate someone will start a petition against Pyotr being near any beasties.
It does seem most bizare how blind they all were, but I'm sure Hayden was just pre-occupied with whatever it was that Lehman himself was up to. Probably his idea to bring Lehman along as well, certainly not Dean's! Given that Lehman is Lehman, I reckon had Dean accidentally shot down a friendly balloon he'd be doing more than just congratulating him. He'd try to start a party in the Mess over that! True about it feeling more like a race, with all the planes rushing and trying to get at it. Unfortunately it was one that Dean lost...
Dean becoming an Ace I reckon does make up for the two bad attempts though, though I don't think his passion is for killing gasbags! Doesn't make for as grand a tale for his diary and letters back home to shoot up balloons than it would be to shoot up planes! Though balloons and Archie can't maneouver, at the very least...! Thanks and do agree on the casings, quite a funky little detail that I've not really even noticed that much before.
In other news, congratulations to Pyotr on the victory, and slight condolences on having to deal with more two seaters, given how they do seem to be a pretty big pain. That head on was quite concerning, I'll be honest, judging by how close it seemed! Lucky there was no collisions by the end of it, and Pyotr fights on.

Carrick - Ah, how dreadful for an airmen to spend a night in the trenches. Well, at least he's not spending time as a Hun prisoner!

MFair - It sure seems like it! If that one didn't work out, I think Dean would've started contemplating throwing fists over blatant favouritism.
The realisation of how close one came to death really does bring down the mood, nevermind hearing about frequent losses. At least it wasn't Kemp's time yet!

Tross - After having his other valid claims rejected, Dean wouldn't have had it any other way! Had to make sure it would go to him. Truly, its quite easy to underestimate landing with a broken plane. Dean almost had the misfortune of discovering that today...!
Good on the MFJ-1 lads for not getting caught out between two flights, that would've certainly made the fight far worse than what it turned out to be! Good shots and good /actual/ shots into the Strutters, here's hoping there won't be some bizarre reason for them to be rejected. "Claim denied, craft wasn't shot down, craft spontaneously combusted!?"
And so Jacob finally gets his well deserved decoration given to him. Better hope they won't end up too wasted to do anything the next day after such celebrations, eh?

№64 Squadron RAF
11th May, 1918.

5 confirmed

Dreadful weather continues to pursue us throughout the day, and my once well placed anger towards Anti-Air gunners is starting to only grow more and more. This morning Hayden had ordered us to prepare for a mission attacking an enemy field, which despite the rain and the clouds I was somewhat interested in, as following the Morgan incident they decided we should just go and strafe them for a little while instead, especially in such a weather, not risking somehow blowing ourselves up if we get into trouble. This of course also meant that we would need to get right close up, and thus if we were to catch a Hun taking off, we'd have a chance to give them a fight they'd certainly regret...!

My excitement unfortunately lasted only up until we've reached the frontlines. Just a minute into our flight over them, I was suddenly taken aback by a blast slamming me back into my seat and my craft through the air. After being stunned for just a few moments, and hearing only ringing in my ears I yelled out some truly vile obscenities at no one in particular and then got back to my senses. It would appear that some very precise Hun Archie gunner managed to score a shot into me the moment I got into his range, which luckily did not cause my craft to break up here and there but certainly did enough damage to my engine, to the point where I was now actively leaking coolant. This of course was by no means ideal, so despite my desires to go and hopefully catch some Huns unaware I had to turn back and retreat, trying to get as much as I could out of my engine in terms of altitude before everything begun overheating and totally broke down.

Minutes later, my engine finally did give out, and I was left drifting in the sky looking for a nice patch of land to land on. Luck was on my side however as I spotted a field off in the distance and started heading for it, hoping to make a landing by the few Camels I've seen parked on the ground at that field. Unfortunately, Luck itself could only help with circumstances, and not bad piloting which I'd soon find out after descending towards the field too steeply and thus going way too fast to make a landing and thus having to pull off last second, only to realise that I now had no speed or altitude to make another attempt, leading me to try to pull the way off to the side and avoid slamming into trees or fences. This too proved a bad move though, as directly to the left of the field stood a small hill, which I promptly slammed my plane into, making it come to a permanent rest. I was all too lucky in avoiding any injuries, probably owing to my already slow speeds. Soon after this crash the airfield personnel and airmen rushed to see me, with me confusing a young mechanic who decided to check the cockpit first, introducing myself to him as a 'Flying Circus reject" and getting a laugh out of his lack of understanding. Afterwards I properly managed to introduce myself to the CO of the field and explained my predicament to him. The man took pity on me, and although he let me know that he unfortunately couldn't lend me a car or any tender until evening at the earliest, he did have an alternative for me that would prevent me from having to spend the night here. Thus, I was given a bicycle and made promise to bring it back at the earliest convenience. Thus begun my several hour long recreation of the Tour de France, by the end of which I finally got to home field by around noon...

Reporting to Hayden, he sighed and then laughed at the apparent trade of an entire plane for a bicycle, but was regardless glad to know that the Squadron's newest Ace didn't perish just like Morgan had yesterday. He then told me that we had another flight coming up, esorting RE8s on a bombing run over the Huns, and that he would have me fly one of the newly repaired craft on the condition that I didn't wreck that one too... Luckily for both myself and him that did not happen, as the entire flight consisted of dreadful cloud dives, as the entire area was simply littered with them and we could barely see each other, let alone the RE8s for most of the mission. Regardless we got through somehow, and then came home and landed.

In the evening while I was contemplating and trying to arrange having the bike sent back to the very kind CO that gave me it via a tender in the morning, I was informed that another new airmen had just arrived at the field, and that I might like this one. Thus I was introduced to Sargeant Todd Frehley, a fellow Scotsman coming from up in the Highlands. The plans of arranging that tender were put to the side and the rest of my evening was occupied by some truly missed banter and a discussion about the situation back home.

Attached Files Shot05-11-21-21-45-18.jpgShot05-11-21-21-48-30.jpgShot05-11-21-21-52-31.jpgShot05-11-21-21-54-43.jpgBike.jpgShot05-11-21-22-01-46.jpg

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
#4568127 - 05/11/21 11:56 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, Pyotr is a friendly sort when he is happy and obnoxious when miserable. Pets get it.
Never had 3 missions on the same day, then all of a sudden. It’s ironic, you fly a brick and you get to fly it 3 times a day.
It’s funny you should be in a situation to get clobbered from two sides. That is exactly what Pyotr and A Flight did to a Kette of Albatroses during today’s sortie.
Now, it looks like Jacob is attracting attention of certain planes with incomplete number of struts. This seems to be the real circus - moving along the Front and targeting promising pilots. Be on your guard, now that the Gong Fairy bestowed upon you her grace and glory.
Congrats on easily taking care of those flying beasts with silver wings, but beware …
Lovely shot of that burning Strutter.

MFair, I see Kemp also has to contend with poor weather. Yup, try to keep her steady in order to keep your lunch in.

NR, yes I get it. Leave the animals alone. Time to find a new outlet for his emotions.
Smirnov probably won’t try that head-on pass trick again. The view is to restrictive to pull it off safely each time, and it only takes once to miscalculate.
Dean definitely needs to get more experience taking out targets that move. Leave balloons to Lehman, hopefully one day he’ll miscalculate the distance.
A decidedly unfortunate lucky day for Dean. First getting sniped by a Flak battery (lucky to be in one piece), then misjudging the distance to the airfield and crashing (lucky to be alive) then riding a bike all the way back to base (lucky it wasn’t a tender filled with potatoes) and finally meeting a fellow Scot (lucky he’s not a Hun spy - only one per squadron allowed). Hopefully Todd is a smart man and will take to heart all the advice Dean can give him.

11 May, 1918 05:45
Hétomesnil, Marne Sector
Esc SPA 67, GC 12
SPAD VII
3 confirmed kills

Pyotr looked up at the board and was relieved to see he was posted to only one mission today. It was a patrol of enemy front line sector between Noyon and Montdidier.
The patrol was going well. Thick clouds on all sides and no enemy in sight. Everything changed once they’ve reached Noyon. Pyotr could see a number of specks to the east and above. Capitaine d’Indy noticed them too and signalled to go after them. The Huns thought they were smart and continued to fly high and behind the B Flight. Little did they know they were now caught between Pyotr’s flight and the A Flight who were following in the distance. The furball was mad and Smirnov stayed well on the fringes of it, not wanting to collide with any of his mates, or even the enemy. There were definitely more of the French rondelles than German crosses. But staying safe was no way to win this war. Smirnov dove in and tangled with a few of the madly maneuvering Albatroses. He was able to hit a few of them, but left them to be finished off by his wingmen. Finally he latched onto one of the Boches and continued to duel, with one more SPAD to make it more interesting. They were getting low and were now in full view of the soldiers below. Pyotr fired one more burst into the fuselage of the desperately evading Hun. His plane caught on fire. The soldiers below would get their show, but Smirnov was already looking for more enemy planes. Thankfully he didn’t find any. They all formed up and returned home. He would finally get some rest.

YouTube Link

#4568201 - 05/12/21 06:18 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
MFair - So Kemp has 5 confirmed kills now? Good stuff. A visit from the gong fairy awaits. Scarier than any Camel or SE5. The Albatrosse are adequate and no more, those Fokkers are sorely needed but it'll be a month or two before they arrive in numbers.

NR - Luck is a fickle thing, Cunningham can consider himself quite unlucky to cop a load of archie as soon as he reached the lines. But then he was very lucky indeed that he wasn't blown to smithereens and lucky he could coax enough out of his aircraft to get him to safety. That CO must have been wetting himself watching Cunningham cycle off down the road. I'd have told him to come and collect it rather than send it back in a lorry.

Fullofit - I agree, it seems the Strutters are ganging up to catch Jacob unawares. He'll have to keep his wits about him. Pyotr did a good job with that hun. He did the right thing not getting involved in the messy melee. He chose his moment and got his victory.

#4568204 - 05/12/21 06:37 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Leutenant-zur-see Jacob Kühn, EK1, HHO
Marine-Feld-Jagdstaffel 1
Jabbeke airfield

28 confirmed kills (2 awaiting confirmation)

12th May 1918

Jacob got up and opened the curtains, he saw the rain hitting the dusty window and the sodden fields outside. The wind was gusting strongly and he knew before he even began getting dressed that there would be no flying today.

Once he'd had some breakfast he caught up with Oberleutenant Saschenberg. Saschenberg said he'd received confirmation of Jacob's two Strutters. That brought Jacob's score upto 30 and at least brought some good news.

Some more news arrived in the afternoon when the Jasta's post arrived. There was a letter for Jacob in amongst it, from Brussels.

Attached Files Screenshot_20210512-193503~3.png

#4568211 - 05/12/21 08:55 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Fullofit - Maybe Pyotr could start taking his anger out on the Hun instead? Listen to enough propaganda and the line will blur even more.
It is indeed a rather risky move, and that view is bothersome as always though. Must be particularly painful during those large dogfights, eh? But Pyotr still prevails.
It would be nice to have that happen, but then who will Dean have to blame for his own misfortunes and bad luck? On the topic of luck and bad luck though, I guess you may as well see it as a glass half empty situation. Getting shot by flak is bad luck, as is misjudging the distance. Can't argue against the potato tender situation though, I think Dean would've just chosen to stay in it at that point than have to recreate the second coming of the Potato Pilot. Dare I say, if Dean was a Hun and painting his craft, that would make for a pretty funky paintjob, eh? A massive potato flying across the sky. Meeting another Scot can go either way though, who knows if he'll even live all that long, given how much that seems to be the case at the squadron.
A pretty good day for Pyotr though, it seems! I mean he's managed to shoot up some huns, including that very lucky ignition, even despite the terribly awkward view and didn't get shot down himself! At this rate SPA 67 will have themselves their very own Russian ace!

Tross - I suppose you get the good with the bad, eh? Of course it must've been quite a sight to see, but I suppose Dean wasn't really in a position where he'd want to refuse, as amusing as it might've been. Hell, he's probably somewhat grateful for that CO giving him even that, so he'd just take what he gets and follow up on that promise he made.
Congrats to Jacob on his two confirmations and oh do I wonder what that letter says.

№64 Squadron RAF
12th May, 1918.

5 confirmed

All flying cancelled for the day due to rainy weather and winds making it near impossible to takeoff, let alone fly. Managed to arrange for the bike to get dropped off at its own home field the next time folks drive out to town and hopefully drop it along the way. Then spent the rest of the day in the Mess talking with the rest of the lads, during which I managed to find out that we are due to receive 11 new machines to finally equip the rest of our squadron with flyable crafts, though as per usual there's no news in regards to when it'll actually get there. All I can say for certain on the matter is that with us having 9 airmen with no airworthy machines, replacements can't come soon enough.

#4568217 - 05/12/21 11:07 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, correspondence on a rainy day. Can’t go wrong with that. Congrats on confirmed 2 Strutters. An even 30 should make for a great bash in the Kasino.

NR, bad weather all along the front it seems.
The pets are safe from the angry Russian for now. Now, as for Dean painting his mount like a potato, well that would be something to behold. He could then transfer to a unit flying SPADs. You see where I’m going with this. A spud SPAD! exitstageleft

12 May, 1918
Hétomesnil, Marne Sector
Esc SPA 67, GC 12
SPAD VII
3 confirmed kills
Awaiting one claim confirmation

Pyotr’s claim for the flaming Albatros from yesterday was still being reviewed. Apparently it was not so easy to tell what plane shot down the Hun. All SPADs look the same. Smirnov decided that it probably was time to make his plane stand out, to avoid any more confusion.
No flights today. The weather is too treacherous to be up.

#4568225 - 05/13/21 12:43 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

MFair: Roulers ! I have lost many a pilot there and a few Aces thrown in. From bot sides of the fence.

#4568228 - 05/13/21 12:51 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Henri N. du fay

Finally made Hq in the rear area and was given a 48 hrs Pass. The duty officer said go get drunk and enjoy. However, Being a Business man, I headed for the Saloon to interview te new talent. Ah work is never done.

Attached Files square-for-blog-post-12-e1528592747976dancers.png
#4568255 - 05/13/21 09:56 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline

8th May 1918
Feldwebel Albrecht Bernhard Schutzmeier
JG III, Jasta 27
Halluin/Rekkem, Flanders.
Lys Offensive
3 confirmed kills, 3 pending.

This morning we were giving a clean to our little crates’ engines together with ground crew.
Later Göring took me aside, showing me the reports sent from the British men saying that they could only find and retrieve 3 of the supposedly 5 downed machines I claimed. He seemed glad I was starting to make a difference, without losing the coldness that he has been showing off towards me since I arrived. Klimke on the other hand was pretty cheerful, and that lightened my mood.

1st Flight
We were called at around 5 to 8 in the morning, as some balloon had reported some enemy planes had been getting dangerously close to one of our airfields, North-West from our one. We then took off in a small flight, as Schwarm Zwei. The sky seemed clear enough from enemy machines, so we were pretty laid back as we flew to our aerodrome.
But, as we began our landing approach, I heard some rumbling engines behind us. I went by instinct, thinking it was Schwarm Eins. I only realized after a couple of seconds we didn’t have any Schwarm Eins flying. I was back in the formations, and the others were already lower. I saw the enemies were Kamels; if I just ignored them, they would strike my comrades, so I decided to try and gain my guys’ attention by engaging the scouts on my own. They were around 5 or 6, still from 40 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps (I noticed the L on the upper wings). I had managed to hold them off (RFC-40 really needs to pick better men!), and I got to hit multiple of them. I noticed a couple of them were already fleeing back home, while the others kept fighting with me.
Luckily enough, it didn’t took too long for the others to notice me, so they came right up to help me. With the support of my guys, I felt more confident, and I ended up downing 3 machines. After all of them were either on the ground or back at their airfield, we landed.
I’ve been took aside, being told that what I did was extremely dangerous:
(Göring):“Schutzmeier, what the hell were you thinking? Engaging 5 enemy planes alone?”
(Albrecht):“Sir. They were aiming towards you. They would’ve gotten you if I didn’t engage them beforehand.”
(Klimke):”With all due respect, sir, we should be grateful to Schutzmeier, for his attempted sacrifice granted us to survive. Plus, he downed multiple enemy machines, so why would we be this tough on him?”
(Göring):”Hmp, we’ll see, if he doesn’t get killed on his own before we can.”
I feel like Rudolf took a protective attitude towards me, being the youngest and freshest out of all my Kameraden.

2nd Flight
We took off right after lunch, to intercept some enemy machines, supposedly some reccies.
Too bad we took off too late to manage to intercept them, but we did find some Scouts a bit lower, going towards some of our airfields. A raging fight engaged, and as I was tailing one of them, a Dreidecker came towards me with a Scout behind. He pulled away quickly, but the Scout wasn't as fast. We collided. He went down straight forwads, but I luckily had damaged only my elevators. It was tough, basically all I could do to manage the pitch was raising or lowering the throttle. I luckily managed to land to my airfield, relatively close. I'm glad I survived.

9th May 1918
JG III, Jasta 27
Lys Offensive
5 confirmed kills.

Cheers! 2 of those claims I made yesterday have been confirmed! The counter is now to 5. I took my chance of my craft being repaired to update the paintjob.

1st Flight
We were called at about 8am to intercept some two-seaters. As usual, those balloon crews are too slow with that telephone! We didn’t get anybody.

2nd Flight
This time we had a rather interesting objective: we would escort some friendly two-seaters to perform recon over enemy lines. Rather interesting indeed, but ultimately boring. Nothing happened, no planes around. We’re not used to get over enemy lines, usually.

10th May 1918
JG III, Jasta 27
Lys Offensive
5 confirmed kills, 1 pending.

What a fizzy day it was today! Really got up in a good mood, ready to take down some tea drinkers.

1st Flight
Sadly my energetic mood has been mowed by an incredibly silent sky in our morning patrol. Nothing to note, but I’m getting a bit better at staying in formations!

2nd Flight
We were up for another airfield defense in the afternoon. We climbed up, and then moved west to check for enemies. We noticed a scramble between some Pfalzen and some Kamels, so we decided to join in on some of them. I saw a Kamel flying all alone, so I decided to jump on my prey. Today I tried to use the tips that Klimke had given me the last evening, and I noticed that I hit much more than earlier. This time, I only got in close and I fired only short and precise bursts: he went down quicker, and I had saved many more rounds than usual. Sadly I was away from the flight, so I had no witnesses.
I decided to go back to the airfield by following the river. Later the others came back, they didn’t shoot down any planes as far as I understood.

Attached Files Shot05-09-21-12-22-02.pngShot05-09-21-12-24-14.jpgShot05-09-21-12-27-02.jpgShot05-09-21-12-27-05.jpgShot05-09-21-14-09-57.jpgShot05-09-21-14-32-11.jpgShot05-09-21-14-32-55.jpgShot05-10-21-23-03-28.pngShot05-10-21-23-03-41.pngShot05-10-21-23-42-19.jpgShot05-10-21-23-44-00.jpgShot05-10-21-23-45-15.jpg
#4568288 - 05/13/21 02:31 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline

Sidenote: in these days the game gave me the Iron Cross both second and first class. Although the ones I should counts are the ones given by the Gong fairy, correct?

Page 295 of 366 1 2 293 294 295 296 297 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM