Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4568006 - 05/11/21 12:26 AM Thrustmaster WCS Mk II Throttle converted to USB - details here  
Llama Offline
Llama  Offline

Following up on the success of my Attack Throttle conversion, and after following in others' footsteps converting my FLCS and F-22 Pro sticks, I set about converting my favorite old TM throttle, the WCS Mk II. The conversion is interesting because the handle buttons are in an 8x1 matrix instead of shift register, and there's enough pins on the Pro Micro Breakout Boards I like to add the two base switches into a 10x4 matrix. So in case anyone wants to do this themselves, here's the pinouts, the MMJoy2 Configurations screens, and how Windows sees things. I just added Dupont crimp on connectors and plugged the wires right onto the board. Cheers!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Llama; 05/11/21 02:05 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4568075 - 05/11/21 05:01 PM Re: Thrustmaster WCS Mk II Throttle converted to USB - details here [Re: Llama]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Arduinos make easy and cheap convert this 1990's controllers for USB. smile

BTW - And if set the two position rocker switch in the base as "Shift'"and "Shift2"(in MMjoySetup), for two more modes for the other buttons, tripling their functions?

#4568157 - 05/12/21 09:16 AM Re: Thrustmaster WCS Mk II Throttle converted to USB - details here [Re: Llama]  
DM Online content
DM  Online Content

Prague
This is interesting, I still have an old WCS hiding away somewhere smile

I am also super interested in making my old Cougar throttle a standalone USB item, rather than having to route it through the joystick currently. I like my new Warthog setup, but I still think the TQS throttle quadrant is the better throttle for single-axis needs.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4568196 - 05/12/21 04:37 PM Re: Thrustmaster WCS Mk II Throttle converted to USB - details here [Re: Llama]  
Llama Offline
Llama  Offline

Thanks guys, for the comments so far.

Sokol, I've been pondering setting either of the switches on the base as a Shift button. I think I need to start mapping things to my game du jour, Elite Dangerous, before I decide this is the way to go. Now that my FLCS is working, I have an abundance of buttons on my stick and I have less of a need for them on the throttle, so I guess we shall see. Say, I know the "convert the FLCS" thread is quite comprehensive, but I'm wondering if its worth posting my treatment of converting the FLCS or F-22 with these simple Pro Micro Breakout Boards and MMJoy2 screens for anyone else who might want to follow these easy steps? Thoughts?

DM, I hear you. I have a few 90's era TQS throttles that I need to convert when I get more Pro Micro Breakout Boards in. If you find a post or photos describing the internal wiring of the Cougar throttle, post it here and I'll take a look-see.

That said, I still love the feel of the old "black potato throttle" and these particular Pro Micro Breakout Boards make this conversion super simple - no need to make another breadboard or lots of wiring harness interfaces. Just crimp on some connectors (or in some cases, make some wiring extensions with crimp on connectors) and plug 'em right on the board. I'm posting these instructions in the hopes that someone else like you wants to convert what they've got and enjoy them again.

I keep referencing these Pro Micro Breakout Boards. These are a version of the Arduino Pro Micro that have a different 40mm square form factor with mounting holes in the corners, a reset button, a well-anchored Micro-USB connector, a few more conventional Pro Micro pins, and a TON more GRND and VCC pins (which would make a lot more sense if MMJoy2 supported individually wired buttons outside of a Matrix or a Shift Register, but anyway). All these pins make it simple to connect existing wires with no need for breadboards. You can find them at AliExpress, Amazon, and eBay, where I get them for about $6.50 each. In all the software, they all look like Leonardos or Pro Micros. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Llama

Last edited by Llama; 05/12/21 04:54 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.