Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4567639 - 05/07/21 06:54 PM Why Computer Upgrades Can Be Useful for EAW Gamers  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

In advance, forgive me for being a bit 'wordy" Much to say, and the topic seems worth a reasonably full discussion

I have a SFF (Small Form Factor) Dell Optiplex 790 computer. I Upgraded the CPU to the max I7 CPU possible, consonant with Dell (and Intel) recommendations. I also installed an SSD, cloning OEM HDD. Also investigated compatible Gfx cards for same comp with low (240) Watt Power supply. Settled on a low-profile, double bay Nvidia 1650 Gfx card. So far, so good.

Turns out doing so, along with a BIOS update, allowed me to to DOUBLE the RAM up from former Max OEM of 16Gb to 32Gb. Presumably this is due to upgraded CPU allowing an updated BIOS, hence additional RAM capacity. These things seem to build on each other. In general, the more available RAM, the better.

It also seems that updating CPU on Dell Inspirion N5050 laptop from OEM I3 CPU to compatible I5 CPU will allow, with BIOS update, DOUBLING the RAM from former max of 8Gb to 16Gb max (ETA: Verified). Since integrated Gfx chip on this laptop/CPU also relies on available system RAM, the value of the combined CPU/RAM upgrades is obvious. In this specific instance, I also plan up upgrading the CPU from present I5 CPU to a compatible I7 CPU.(ETA: done)

These sorts of upgrades are of value to many game players, and also to EAW players, since the game can be played, with all graphics at near max, even on elderly, but upgraded computers and even laptops. The more EAW players, the better, I say. Making their computers better able to run EAW (or any other game) is all to the good. I omit a discussion of graphics cards because they are varying greatly in price nowadays. Even my ancient LP GT 730 gfx card recently sold on ebay, and brought slightly more than I paid for it some time ago. My GT 1050 Ti LP card brought FAR more than I paid for it, not long ago. Apparently, people constructing new computers need some sort of Gfx card plugged-in to verify their new system, and some of them are buying whatever Gfx card is available/suitable in lieu of their desired, but unavailable Gfx card.

It took some digging, referencing multiple sources, to confirm that the above upgrades were possible, and long-term viable. I suspect that computer mfrs and Intel have scant interest in revealing how some upgrades (CPU/BIOS) also allow other upgrades (RAM). Unsurprisingly, they are much more interested in selling new computers than upgrading older ones. This Upgrading may still be viable for older computers, since suitable components, such as CPUs, RAM, and some Gfx cards, are not suitable for more modern computers, but still available at reasonable prices for older computers.

Nowadays, with the "computer chip" shortage, it is a difficult time to perform some upgrades on many computers; Some high-end upgrade components being in great demand or even being unobtainable except at "scalper" prices. Laptop components do NOT seem to have suffered from the price inflation as seen with "conventional" computers. Crypto-currency " Miners" don't use laptops, so upgrading them is still financially viable. Same holds true for many older desktop computers; compatible upgrading components are usually not the components in high demand-- for the present. It may well be that some folks will need to postpone a "new" computer purchase, and will turn to upgrading existing equipment in the interim.

Dollars and Sense: Upgrading my laptop with new CPU and Upgraded RAM will cost about $120. Upgrading my other 3 computers perhaps $400. All of them Maxxed-out to full OEM-certified GTG, reliable capacity. I can do the job myself, on kitchen table, in about an hour. Many vids on YouTube about how to perform various upgrades. Compared to the cost of a NEW laptop of roughly equal capability vice upgraded laptop {$120 versus $500), the value of upgrading is apparent. I'll try to sell the older components on Ebay to partially re-coup the cost of new components.

Addendum: I took stock of all my existing CPUs and Gfx cards lying around, and sent them all to my Ebay guy. With things as they are, I should be able to recoup original $ paid for all of them, even with his "cut". Partially fund new stuff by selling old stuff.

ETA: As things turned out, I seem to have made a small profit, even subtracting Ebay seller's "cut", and the cost of the new components. Improved computers for free, plus a little $ extra. Sweet!

While I am no expert, I can point others in the right direction if they decide to upgrade their computers. If I can do it, so can you.

Not for nothing, but CPU upgrades and possibly Mo-Bo physical module upgrades might allow your computer to run Win 11. Some late-version CPUs have the ability to run Win 11, other computers might need the installation of a TPM module to run Win 11, or both. Needless to say, both appropriate Win-11 CPUs and the appropriate TPM modules have greatly increased in price recently.

Two of my four comps meet Win 11 specs, thanks to my substituting advanced CPUs in both of them. The other ones are much older, and not surprised at upgrades not being viable with Win 11.

So, upgrading your computer has more benefits than originally proposed.

Last edited by RIBob; 07/16/21 07:54 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4571355 - 06/09/21 07:35 PM Re: Why Computer Upgrades Can Be Useful for EAW Gamers [Re: RIBob]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Just a bump, to help folks. LMK if you want to upgrade your computer, and I will do what I can to assist.

#4574546 - 07/16/21 07:55 PM Re: Why Computer Upgrades Can Be Useful for EAW Gamers [Re: RIBob]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Just another bump, for Win 11. Read the whole thing, but Win 11 is discussed at last paragraph.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.