Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4567378 - 05/05/21 06:56 PM Does the trim function works for you ?  
phenixfulcrum2 Offline
phenixfulcrum2  Offline

Hello,

When i activate the trim function (T key) , and i then release the cyclic, the trajectory of the helicopter does not compensate. Does it works for you ? How do you use the trim function ?

Thanks !

#4567381 - 05/05/21 07:19 PM Re: Does the trim function works for you ? [Re: phenixfulcrum2]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
Hi,

I've just tried it on my machine in version 1.16.0 and it does work. I put the aircraft in to a slight climb and hit T, then released the stick and it maintained that climb. Same with level flight.

You can also use the cursor keys to fine tune the trim once you have it set. From what I saw you can't keep hitting the T key to adjust the trim, you have to clear the existing trim (shift + T) first before setting it again.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#4567385 - 05/05/21 08:12 PM Re: Does the trim function works for you ? [Re: AndyB]  
phenixfulcrum2 Offline
phenixfulcrum2  Offline

Thank you Andy for your help ! I will try again and follow your advices :-)

#4567519 - 05/06/21 07:01 PM Re: Does the trim function works for you ? [Re: phenixfulcrum2]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
T still does what it's always done, even in 1.16.2. It's 'force trim' like in a helo with a long pole cyclic... similar to the trimmer button in DCS BS and using the CWS AP button in X-Plane (or controls magnetic lock button for X-Plane helos without AFCS or AP). The biggest difference with EECH's, though, is you don't hold it when you maneuver and then release when you have the attitude you want, rather you maneuver in EECH with whatever background trim you've got and instead just tap the force trimmer button again when you have the combined cyclic input (prior and new together) you want the sim to hold in the background. This means it's technically an additive force trimmer or attitude designation button... the latter with the caveat that you can trim in a continuous rate rather than an actual attitude if that's what's going on at the moment you tap it. As Andy said, shift + T clears it which means it reverts to canned omnipotent perfect wings leveling like Comanche Gold.

There is also the ability to do cyclic axis fine trimming in EECH now by just tapping the keyboard main arrow keys a lot that you can assign to a hat. Cobra-Zulu/Viper actually has a trim hat on its side hydraulic cyclic that's often flown with when manual attitude hold is activated, but I believe the Apache lacks a trimmer hat.

If you don't have a FFB stick or a long pole cyclic (i.e. you own a normal spring-loaded deflection joystick or pressure stick) and also you don't want to be bothered with manually forcing trim or a trimmer hat, I recommend people install a PPJoy virtual joystick and use GlovePIE instead for auto-trimming scripts... more like the real Comanche, and also like Janes Longbow Anthology. I believe there was a setting in the Gunship! ini or config file to also get that one to do the attitude hold automatically and you command the temporary rotation rate with your stick inputs (you put some value at 0 or 1 or something from its default). This is one of my beefs with DCS helos: most people are using centering joysticks at home and no such joysticks in real helos require a trimmer button. The experimental ADOCS, Comanche, the Raider, and the envisioned Invictus are all side deflection or pressure sticks with rate-command / attitude-hold and maybe optional wings leveling or velocity command/hold modes. No one flies a real helo with a stick where they hold or tap a button then release the stick back to center or zero pressure while it either bobbles with the extra input or blanks input until re-center or zero pressure. It's frankly a half-@ssed solution to an issue that was long addressed with far superior results to long pole cyclics or FFB, and is the primary method used for newer AFCS helos. To be fair to DCS, though, the Dodosim 206 for FSX trimmer button is probably the worst such implementation, but it's easy enough to code a manual trimmer script in GlovePIE for the Dodosim just as good as DCS's default one and the Dodosim is still otherwise the best helo for FSX I can find.

Last edited by Reticuli; 05/06/21 10:03 PM.

The term "necroposting" was invented by a person with no social memory beyond a year. People with a similar hangup are those o.k. with the internet being transient vapor.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011/12/methanol-wins-open-wager.html

Saitek X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick
#4567559 - 05/07/21 06:15 AM Re: Does the trim function works for you ? [Re: Reticuli]  
phenixfulcrum2 Offline
phenixfulcrum2  Offline

Thanks Reticuli for your answer about the trim function :-)

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.