Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4566836 - 05/01/21 02:50 PM The power of lucid dreaming...  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I have always tended to have lucid dreams, which I thought everyone did for the longest time.

Anyhow, I've been wondering how to re-organize the panel on the Nieuport for a few weeks (okay, months), and last night I had a dream about flying the aircraft after the rebuild. She was flying wonderfully and looking great in the faux Clear Dope Linen paint, when it dawned on me to look down and pay attention to the panel.

Bam! There is was, laid out in a logical, very clean way, with it placed back from the cross bar with a beauty plate around it and seamed over it on the bottom.

I also noted that I had mounted the top sheeting to the fuselage in front of the cockpit with a strip on the side and rivnuts.

So I woke up, went downstairs, and drew it out so I wouldn't forget how I did it in my dream.

Later I was chagrined that I didn't have the presence of mind to look down and right to see how I improved the brake handle mount.

How many of y'all have lucid dreams?

Last edited by Dart; 05/01/21 02:51 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4566841 - 05/01/21 03:15 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I have very lucid dreams. In my dreams I can feel and smell the dirt or the hard warm feel of a metal vehicle. My jump dreams are so vivid it is like reliving the jump. Some of my recurring dreams are not happy dreams and leave me troubled when I awake. My wife can always tell when I have my “military” dreams. Usually she will go sleep in the guest room since I am very active.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4566848 - 05/01/21 03:47 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I have some very vivid dreams. Some of them are very intense and border on being very stressful. I think it can be linked to certain blood pressure medications (beta-blockers). I have friends and family members that take a certain blood pressure medication that have the same issue.

Last edited by LB4LB; 05/01/21 03:47 PM.
#4566851 - 05/01/21 04:07 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
Nine out of ten of the lucid dreams I remember are dreams of failure. Which I find both annoying and depressing.

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4566853 - 05/01/21 04:26 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
The rare times I have had lucid dreams, I try to have sex in them.

I knew a guy years ago who was obsessed with lucid dreaming. He slept with crystals under his pillow. Very weird, and I don't believe it worked, but somebody convinced him it would help. This was pre internet.

#4566855 - 05/01/21 04:35 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Most of my dreams are semi lucid, where I'm not really aware that I'm dreaming but can instinctively control them to a considerable degree.

#4566857 - 05/01/21 04:47 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Usually I dream about...

- Sex.

- Playing guitar (in my dreams I'm a monster player with perfect timing).

- Having Force-like powers; moving things mentally (with hand gestures) and being able to float about (but not fly like Superman).

- Achieving consciousness within my dream, even recalling details of the previous evening.
Usually I'm a teenager again (at home or at first HS...which I hated), trying to convince a friend that
we're actually now in our 50's and possibly group dreaming. I give out my phone# but no one ever calls.

I can usually exit a dream by crossing my eyes. <shrug>

++++++++++

I've never had John Carmack dreams or hallucinations of visible code running down my arms commanding my fingers, but I do often have digital-related dreams, especially if I go to sleep trying to mentally resolve an issue. Lately I've been flying the scenarios that I'm trying to create, like I'm testing my game in a Star Trek holodeck that makes everything seem real (with fully functioning cockpit).

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4566858 - 05/01/21 04:50 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
i dont like lucid dreams, its always the same, im talking to someone, if i look around im in another set.....not so much control......
and the worse ones are the peeing ones, you all know them. i actively force myself not to pee in dreams and wake up....and sometimes i dont even want to pee, so i woke up for nothing. stupid brain.

#4566860 - 05/01/21 06:06 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
RossUK Offline
RossUK  Offline

Eastbourne, UK
Was hurt badly in an incident at work in 2017, almost lost my left hand due to damage done to my wrist. Fixed now, but when I sleep I relive it at least once a week. It's like Groundhog day in my dream. I think being in the same career stops me letting go although I am no longer frontline. Dreams are powerful and I think it is the brain decompressing and processing events that have had an effect.

#4566866 - 05/01/21 06:24 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
More disturbing lucid dreams involve people who have passed and I know they're dead (but not always lucid in that I don't always know that I'm dreaming). With my aunt especially (some lucid, some not), thanking her for what she did for me in my teen years (w/school and wife). I've had a couple of these more recently with my MIL, again thanking her for not trying to shoo me away as a bad influence (and after teachers met with her to say as much...attempting a small town intervention). More of a continuation to conversations we had in her later years.

The sun is in the east
#4566869 - 05/01/21 07:15 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
It is my understanding that dreams come in the latter part of a nights sleep (in which REM, rapid eye movement occurs). I find it interesting that I can have a very intense dream and remember a great detail of it as soon as I wake up, but within a just short amount of time I can forget most, if not all of it. I can only remember that I had an intense dream. I think dreaming becomes more prevalent as you get older. When I was a younger adult I don't think I ever got more than 5 or 6 hours of sleep a night (because of work, kids, etc..). Now that I have slowed down considerably because of health reasons, I get that added time to go into REM sleep. Sometimes I think that added time doesn't equal a good, restful nights sleep.

#4566875 - 05/01/21 09:43 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
There are 3 ex girlfriends that still haunt my dreams. I hate that, I am happily married for over 23 years. The dreams are always the same, I am seduced and I feel immense guilt and regret (even if I don't have sex in the dream) because I know my wife would be devastated. After the guilt I feel loss as I don't want a life without my wife.
Honestly, I wish I did not dream at all.

#4566878 - 05/01/21 10:00 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I'm in the same place as OG..When I have "military" dreams they get bad sometimes..I've punched my wives when they tried shaking me..I used to know when i had a bad one because she would be sleeping on the couch in the morning,,Been over 50 years but they come back clearly.I heard an old vet who was asked if he will ever get over it and he said Yes the day I die.Don't remember having a good dream.Just the way things are.At least now there's only the pup and she's in and out of the bed all night.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4566926 - 05/02/21 12:53 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Wondering if going to bed on a heavy stomach affects any of you the same way...

Wife and I try not to take in calories after 7PM, even switching from nightly coffee to hot tea as she can't do black coffee. The idea is to go a min. 12 hrs. calorie-free (daily mini-fast) and not start again until after our morning workout (supposedly making exercising more efficient, something about burning reserves...I dunno).

On the rare occasion that I do eat late, *especially* if I eat heavy and close to bedtime, my dreams are usually bizarre or outright nightmares. And it's always been like this, even way before I cared about living a healthier lifestyle, so I know it's not some guilt thing.

And speaking of guilt, I think dreams are like Vegas. What happens in a dream stays in a dream... smile

The sun is in the east
#4566962 - 05/02/21 10:06 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I still vividly remember the nightmares i used to have at age 8-10 and the sleepwalking. That's over 40 years ago but they are crisp. Also sleep paralysis around 7 years ago for a week, you can keep that stuff, horrible s hit. Dreaming these days, scattery random stuff that drifts away within minutes of waking.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4566972 - 05/02/21 11:41 PM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Dreaming these days, scattery random stuff that drifts away within minutes of waking

Lately most of the same here.

Most of the vivid ones I remember... I don't want to remember.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4566980 - 05/03/21 02:55 AM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Lucid dreams always take me back to my real early childhood. Had few accidents that left me seriously traumatized. Caught Typhoid at age 5 and spent 3 weeks of my just starting Kindergarten start
Was locked away in an isolation ward for 15 days. Room with 35 beds and I was the only one their. These beds were cages to. No way out. Had over 110 blood tests in 10 days. Went in weighing around
50lbs and came home and was around 35.
Before this I was 20 months old and snuck out the house through the screen door and loose my balance and fall into the Milk delivery box. I was screaming and my mother came running out to find me
covered in blood coming outa my mouth. She told me to open my mouth and about fainted because what she saw, she said looked like raw hamburger. My tongue was ripped in half.

Lucid after those horrors will forever haunt me. Even getting those Freefall dreams that will get your heart started

Going on 60. and still haunted by those dreams. But in the morning, just wake up tired from waking up all night from it.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4566986 - 05/03/21 03:09 AM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Lucid dreams were much more common for me when I was a kid and a teenager. Multiple times I had very lucid dreams of running through a grassy field and falling down a deep pit. I'm sure there is some Freudian explanation for that.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4566987 - 05/03/21 03:13 AM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
The free fall dreams are the worst. I always seem to be driving over a very high bridge and lose control of the car to end up careening over the side rail. The free fall sensation wakes me up. My heart is always pounding hard after that. It even wakes up the wife and the dog. I have always hated driving over bridges.

#4566989 - 05/03/21 04:01 AM Re: The power of lucid dreaming... [Re: Dart]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I've mentioned this before, but I had one years ago that involved SimHQ, where I'd "woken up" in a dream, checked my laptop, saw that my girlfriend had posted a series of Facebook pics displaying a rather trashy makeover, and she'd gone nuts in the comments when people had evidently not been very complimentary.

Not wanting to deal with that mess just yet, I logged into [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image] only to found out that somehow she'd hacked the site, with Myspace style glitter graphics and Anime characters abounding, and you guys were holding me responsible and cursing my name.

[Linked Image]

So I facepalm hard trying to figure out how it was possible that all this had occurred, then it hit me, I'm dreaming!

With that, I went to my balcony, jumped and flew into the sky, enjoying a few moments of high speed flight, before my alarm went off and really did wake me up.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.