Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4566532 - 04/29/21 08:58 PM Todays observations of humans and my academic life  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
1. Saw a really cute lady in a Prius while pulling in for my monthly Wal Mart run. Parked next to her while she was loading her car, and... proceeded to tell her how cool I thought Prius' are. "Is that a sport model, it looks cooler than most?", I naively asked. Talked for a few minutes, she even had the Coexist decal! I had my little traveling easel in my trunk, she said she likes to paint also! Told her if she somehow stopped by a certain establishment tomorrow around 5 pm we could talk some more about art and things. Repeat after me, don't talk about politics Nix, don't talk about politics Nix! Not holding my breath...

2. Once in Wal Mart, I have this little route I take, as I just go there for certain things, as I like to support my local stores for most things. On my way from Hardware to paper goods, my way is blocked by a morbidly obese lady in one of those powered carts at an angle in the aisle, literally stuffing bags of chips ahoy's in her basket, which already has much other junk, candy, chips and those dip's that are made in test tubes. Prolly on her way to Ice Cream next. rolleyes Kept my mouth shut, and just shook my head, as she finally lumbered away

Got home did a few homework assignments and just realized I am completely done with my upper level marketing Management class! I somehow finished with a 97.5 %, and I think REALLY controlling myself in our weekly discussions had a lot to do with it. That and the pretty good 2,600 word marketing plan I had to design. Good enough for a "100"! Yep, I am darn proud of that one.

Now my other class, Operations and Sustainability Management is a whole different ball game. I hate it. A crap ton of statistics and algebra that re-invents the wheel for business analytics. All this stuff, if even still used in big business, is done with professionally made, plug and play software packages. It's freakin silly and gives me large headaches. I had to spend over thirty minutes today on a silly linear programming problem analyzing some freakin hairdressers customer que! I am planning on taking this course again with a different teacher. It has a final exam I hear is a nightmare, and my 70 yr old brain doesn't do finals well. My first "D" probably, maybe an "F" and I really don't care.

I am taking my first summer off from school in four years! I am going to be painting, some much need maintenance and cleaning/organizing around my place, Then I am going to Daytona to visit with my brother for awhile.

Not complaining, as I have a better life than many. School is just getting more stressful every semester. Getting a Bachelor's degree at age 71 is possible for me still, but it's becoming less fun every semester now.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4566534 - 04/29/21 09:13 PM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: Nixer]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
You caught my attention. When I turned 70, I said it was the new 20. I wanted to "improve" at some things -- like a 20 year old might.

If 70 actually is the new 20 -- your degree at 21 makes sense. And, yup, at our age it ain't all "A"s anymore smile

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4566536 - 04/29/21 09:32 PM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: Nixer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
From what I remember about getting a Bachler's degree, the closer you got to graduating, the more frustrating it got. That was as a very young man, I couldn't even imagine doing it at my age today. More power to ya!

Good luck with the Prius lady, maybe she can help you with your "linear programming". biggrin

Last edited by LB4LB; 04/29/21 09:33 PM.
#4566572 - 04/30/21 01:44 AM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by Allen
You caught my attention. When I turned 70, I said it was the new 20. I wanted to "improve" at some things -- like a 20 year old might.

If 70 actually is the new 20 -- your degree at 21 makes sense. And, yup, at our age it ain't all "A"s anymore smile

I just didn't/don't want to stagnate, plus the extra money I get as a poor dude for school has been a lifesaver a couple of times already. Also, I have been slowly building up my paper, paints and brushes stash for the future. Much too expensive for me on my normal income. I had been putting away money for a new transmission for my car and tryin to fix my a/c in it. Well, I did a little servicing on the transmission and it's not as bad as it was, and I can no way justify the expense for a new a/c compressor and paying someone to clean the system and recharge it. So I spent that on an electric bike instead and have cut my car use WAY down. I can bungee cord a milk crate to the back of my bike and/or wear a backpack and do most of my shopping. Plus it's way cooler than my car, both temp wise and pretty girls saying "cool bike!". The big bonus with the bike is actually getting some exercise!

The car is for a once a month Wal Mart run and maybe twice a month bigger grocery run.

Originally Posted by LB4LB

Good luck with the Prius lady, maybe she can help you with your "linear programming". biggrin

Even on the longshot she shows, I'll prolly say something "triggering" or one of my friends will yell "Hey, did you watch that idiot ____ speech Wednesday night?" Nope! nope I just couldn't stomach it.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4566618 - 04/30/21 10:41 AM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: Nixer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Nixer
1. Saw a really cute lady in a Prius while pulling in for my monthly Wal Mart run. Parked next to her while she was loading her car, and... proceeded to tell her how cool I thought Prius' are. "Is that a sport model, it looks cooler than most?", I naively asked. Talked for a few minutes, she even had the Coexist decal! I had my little traveling easel in my trunk, she said she likes to paint also! Told her if she somehow stopped by a certain establishment tomorrow around 5 pm we could talk some more about art and things. Repeat after me, don't talk about politics Nix, don't talk about politics Nix! Not holding my breath...

I would say that a "Coexist" decal isn't necessarily the end of the world. She may just be a Libertarian and not a far left raving liberal. wink

By the way, how old would you estimate this lady was?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4566647 - 04/30/21 12:13 PM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: Nixer]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
If he says 22 I'm gone....

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
#4566648 - 04/30/21 12:14 PM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: vocatx]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by vocatx
If he says 22 I'm gone....

If he says 22 I demand pics. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4566664 - 04/30/21 01:13 PM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Nah...40 something.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4566666 - 04/30/21 01:21 PM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: Nixer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Nah...40 something.

Well hell, even 40 is robbing the cradle for you! neaner duck

#4566671 - 04/30/21 01:57 PM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: Nixer]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

My pursuit of academic excellence was smooth sailing for the AA degree except having to buy 4-7 books for a Class., but the B.A. was a mess. The core classes were hard to come by . Finally changed majors and schools . Even then I spent 6 yrs getting a 4 year degree. What a pain.

#4566672 - 04/30/21 02:00 PM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: carrick58]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by carrick58
My pursuit of academic excellence was smooth sailing for the AA degree except having to buy 4-7 books for a Class., but the B.A. was a mess. The core classes were hard to come by . Finally changed majors and schools . Even then I spent 6 yrs getting a 4 year degree. What a pain.

I got my BA in 4 years but had I known in retrospect that I was just going to work in IT for 20+ years and counting I wouldn't have bothered going to the overpriced school that I did and I would have just gotten an AA + IT certifications.

#4566679 - 04/30/21 02:27 PM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Nah...40 something.

Fun though. My last "girlfriend", official, not just a friend who's a girl, was 42 and I was 67. She wore me out, both mentally and physically. Lasted maybe five months. She was super demanding of my time, and she lived like a block from me, One day a friend who's a girl (she's 27 now, cute as a button, and I am having lunch with her this Monday) who also paints was visiting and the "girlfriend" showed up and made a ridiculous scene. I just blocked her on my phone and finally just ran away to a friends place a couple hundred miles away for my 10 day spring break. She had already moved on when I returned, and I actually felt more relieved than anything. She wouldn't speak to me... oh well.

Sorry, but I just don't usually act my age, nor care to in most cases, especially in women I am attracted to.

The book costs are INSANE. Close to $1,000 per semester lately!
I am at five years and counting.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4566681 - 04/30/21 02:33 PM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: Nixer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

The book costs are INSANE. Close to $1,000 per semester lately!

It was about 500-550 per semester for me when I went to college from 1991 to 1995 so the inflation on college books has basically doubled in the past 25-30 years. As Spock would say, "fascinating".

#4566690 - 04/30/21 03:03 PM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: carrick58]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
I spent 6 yrs getting a 4 year degree. What a pain.

Back in the day I went: State College was $450 a year and the non-state school I attended was $1200 a year -- they provided paying Co-op work in the industry; so, were affordable. Back then, a good wage was $4000 for a full year of work smile

My parents had zero cash to spare -- they gave me a bedroom in our house and food. So, I too had to work my way through. First, 1.5 years on a delivery truck to get money into the bank -- saved every check in its entirety. Then, 6mo work and 6mo class a year. That took 7 years for my B.S. Engineering Science. My employer paid for the M.S.

So, I feel your comment.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4566691 - 04/30/21 03:13 PM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Nah...40 something.

Lol.

While I hope to never be in this situation, I'm a realist who no longer takes life and love for granted (one reason I'll never stop courting).

But if I had to start over, a checkbox priority would be having a serious nostalgic streak for the 80's (beginning with late-70's). And she would actually have had to have lived it, remembering that time period during her coming-of-age years. Without this box checked, it would never work. nope

Hypothetical...

"We can bang later. I just thought it'd be nice to make out first to some Journey and Def Leppard. Want to snuggle to WarGames?" biggrin

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4566760 - 05/01/21 12:46 AM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Worse than a no show...

She brought her horribad, rude NYC area WITCH mother with her!

The one I met got a glass of white wine, "mom" wanted a call brands Long Island Ice tea, completely specific, been a bar fly for 50+ yrs, never seen that one. This is my hangout for the last 5 years. The staff/mgr/owner are my friends. This "person" expected me to buy her a $20 drink. My friend the bartender looked at me, with this really neat questioning, raised eyebrows look. I shook my head nope

I winked and walked out. No words needed.

Mom payed, after lots of whining, for her drink and was told her daughters wine was covered by "Mr Nix" (used my real first name). My friend called when they left and I went back and was the butt of a couple of jokes...laughing with me mostly, not at me.

I knew better...Prius...Coexist...The New Raw Deal. duh

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4566763 - 05/01/21 12:59 AM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: Nixer]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Get used to it Nixer my friend, what does a 70ish bloke have for a young woman? 40 is young.

I'm lucky to have a young at heart wife a decade younger than me, but at 75 have to be realistic about things. I had a bone scan yesterday as part of the C treatment and the operator joked that I had DOB issues. He got that right.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4566767 - 05/01/21 01:16 AM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: Nixer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Well nothing ventured, nothing gained. It could have been worse, she could have brought her father. I haven't been in a bar since the last time we went to Las Vegas (almost 10 years now). A $20 Long Island Iced had better come in a Big Gulp size glass, or forget it. Better luck next time.

#4566768 - 05/01/21 01:18 AM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Hi Max!

Didn't expect much, and got even less.

"DOB issues"...love that one. thumbsup

I do like it when the kids I know question their parents, sadly usually singular, opinions to me and I just honestly tell them how I feel it really is.

Might be why I can count two 18 yr old cuties, and one drop dead gorgeous 27 old as my friends...and their mothers btw.

My days of being the one your mother warned you about are long gone.

Once upon a time...

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4566831 - 05/01/21 02:26 PM Re: Todays observations of humans and my academic life [Re: Nixer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Half the age and add seven is the rule.

So, 70 years old halved is 35, plus seven is 42. Anything younger is pedophilia, or so the rule says. wink

I made a mess of college in my formative years, which in hindsight is hilarious; basically I emulated Bluto from Animal House, except they asked me to leave.

I've entertained the notion of going back and picking up a degree, but really it's pointless. I do not want a career; I am happy to work a simple job and just draw a paycheck to pay for the airplane and stuff.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.