Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 289 of 366 1 2 287 288 289 290 291 365 366
#4566608 - 04/30/21 10:02 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
They are out to get Rudi... he's a marked man now!

#4566646 - 04/30/21 12:07 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Trooper - Agreed. As the Vaterland's highest scoring ace now, Rudi has a massive target on his back. Hopefully his flying coat covers it.

Fullofit - Rudi must have gotten a bit rattled in that one, it's most definitely not like him to mistake one of his own for the enemy. Very relieved to see that he made it down in one piece and escaped "The Curse", at least for the time being. Fingers crossed he can continue to do so. On the upside, it is a pretty medal.

Albert - It's always nice to get caught up on one's correspondence. Judging from that letter, Jacob seems a bit the philosophical sort. Let's hope he does not become a tormented soul, as so many of that ilk do after experiencing the traumas of war.

Raine - Glad to learn that Mac is on the mend. But he too appears to be affected by some deep and somber thoughts. Be wary of those hauntings, they can adversely affect a man's ability to fight and keep himself alive.

NotRelevant - Dud weather for Dean as well, eh? More time to catch up on reading all those month-old papers and magazines scattered about the mess. Smart on your man's part to take advantage of some of the down time by going over his mount with the AMs.

Epower and Shredward - What's all this talk of bugs and flu and such? Don't we have enough problems without having to worry about going all lavender as well? Alarmists, that's what you two are.

30 April 1918
65 Squadron R.F.C.
Bertangles, France

Captain Frederick Abbott was able to take 'B' Flight up this morning for a flip down past Amiens, despite the rain and low-hanging clouds that persisted. His left leg was feeling considerably better than it had after the outing three days earlier, he having rested it since then as much as possible. While Freddy was still relying on the cane, his limp was subsiding with each passing day and he hoped it would be gone entirely by the time he returned to England.

Lifting away from Bertangles into a wet, gray sky. In all likelihood this would be the last sortie Abbott would be flying with his old mates at 65 Squadron.
[Linked Image]

Above the clouds the air was clear and visibility was excellent. Freddy led 'B' Flight towards the front lines southeast of Amiens.
[Linked Image]

As the King's own were approaching their patrol position the Captain spotted a large formation of Hun V-strutters, (with a pair of triplanes tossed in for good measure), well above and coming in fast. 11-to-5 odds, this could get ugly for the Camels.
[Linked Image]

One of the dreideckers immediately latched on to Freddy and attempted to get him in his sights, but it was not to be.
[Linked Image]

Abbott pulled the Boche pilot into a right-hand turning fight, and as the pair spiraled down, back into the rain, the Captain soon gained the advantage.
[Linked Image]

The enemy pilot broke and ran just as Freddy unleased the twin Vickers and perforated the triplane's upper wing. However, in the Hun's eagerness to escape he led Abbott directly towards one of the corkscrew-striped Albs.
[Linked Image]

The King's ace closed in on the new target in front of him while the V-strutter fleiger, unaware that he was now being hunted, continued his own pursuit of one of the Camels.
[Linked Image]

It was over in seconds, the enemy never knew what killed him, and Freddy watched as the Alb tumbled out of the frey and down into the mud below.
[Linked Image]

In the next instant another V-strutter crossed the Captain's path, this one sporting a black tail with white spots in addition to the spiral stripe around the fuselage.
[Linked Image]

The fight with this fellow ended fairly quickly as well when the Hun attempted to turn right with the Camel. It was no contest after that maneuver.
[Linked Image]

Freddy gave Herr Spots a fatal taste of the Vickers and this Boche too fell earthward, never to recover.
[Linked Image]

Yet another of the Albs presented itself and Abbott wasted no time in closing in on him, just as he had done with the previous pair.
[Linked Image]

This Hun did not even attempt to offer combat, choosing instead to dive and run. It was a fatal mistake and one that gave Abbott his third and final victory of the morning.
[Linked Image]

With no other enemy planes to challenge, the remainder now well across their own lines and running eastward at best speed, Captain Abbott collected his crew and returned home as well. He was one man short and would learn later that it was Lt. Gilmour; he had not been wounded but did end up crashing his plane trying to land near a friendly obs balloon position.
[Linked Image]

Once back at camp Freddy and the remainder of 'B' Flight handed their shot-up Camels over to the Ack Emmas, who would work their own brand of magic, while the fliers turned in their AARs and claims. Abbott put in for the three V-strutters, all of which were confirmed by late afternoon as all had fallen near the British communication trenches southeast of Amiens. The Tommies there had seen the whole show play out directly above their heads, cheering on the Camels as they managed to ultimately best the superior numbers of the Kaiser's planes. For Captain Abbott, the three V-strutters, along with the trio of triplanes from the 27th, now put him at 71 confirmed victories. A most respectable score to return to England with.

#4566649 - 04/30/21 12:25 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Here are Freddy's EOM stats.

Captain Frederick H.B. Abbott, DSO & Bar, MC, Ld'H, CdG
65 Squadron RFC
Bertangles, France
Sopwith Camel

266 missions
320.13 hours
71 victories
121 claims

#4566665 - 04/30/21 01:14 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Albert – I really liked your episode with the letter.

Lou – thank you for the wound stripe. Congratulations on Freddie's hat-trick!

Here is the month-end summary for George McAlister.

Captain George Ewan McAlister, DSO, DSC
74 Squadron, Royal Air Force
Clairmarais, France
SE5a (Viper engine)

Missions: 116
Hours: 83.78
Confirmed: 49
Claimed: 86

#4566674 - 04/30/21 02:04 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Jules M. Dubra
Sgt,
Hetomesnil, Aerodrome
Marne
Esc 26, Spads
Hours: 6.8
13 Missions
2 Victory's
1 Unconfirmed

Last edited by carrick58; 04/30/21 02:05 PM.
#4566680 - 04/30/21 02:31 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Oliver's EOM stats:

Captain Oliver Alden Winningstad, VC, DSO & Bar, MC, Ld'H
84 Squadron RAF
Bertangles, France
SE5a Wolseley Viper

338 Missions
433.92 hours
134 victories
192 claims

#4566704 - 04/30/21 04:39 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Raine - Cheers! Congratulations on receiving a stripe, though it is perhaps a tad odd to congratulate people on getting wounded, eh? Regardless.
Very interesting and valid thoughts MacAllister been having, it seems. Airmen are very much prone to dropping like literal flies afterall.

Tross - Indeed and thanks. The weather could definetely improve though!
Always good to see a heartfelt letter! Decent advice too, war hospitals do tend to be most dreadful after all.

Rudi - Invest into good luck charms and exotic voodoos to drive away the Frenchmen? That and shoot them down before they shoot you down, I suppose!
Perhaps not. In fact, truly not. Seems like you've called it...!

What a misfortunate flight! Thank God Rudi got out of that alive and well, at the very least. Could've went way differently and way worse. Shame about the other two lost too. At the celebrations make up for it?

RAF - And whatever other forms of entertainment that can be found anyway! Well, smart or not, reckon having his engine cut out once gave Dean enough initiative to at least try take some preventive measures!
Great screenshots and good job with those Huns. Especially the spotted one. Guess Freddy done him a favour really, adding a bunch more bullet induced spots to his plane before sending him on his way! He oughta thank Abbott for that!

2/LT Dean Andrews Cunningham
№64 Squadron RAF
Izles-Les-Hameux, Flanders
April 29th, 1918.

2 confirmed

Another disaster today. It all begun fine, with nothing hinting at anything bad possibly happening today, with of course the exception of the dreadful weather spelling no flights for today... Or at least so we thought, until suddenly we got a call informing us of a Hun flight crossing the lines and a demand for an intercept to be sent up to deal with them, and even though there must've been at least 10 other squadrons in this sector, it just had to be the 64th that would go and deal with it. Wary of flying in this weather but with no choice, B flight was sent up into the sky, with Shaw, the only other survivor of the previous bloodbath being the flight lead. Almost an interesting choice, given he is still rather shaken from what occured to him back then, but it was what we had to work with, and anyway we at least put some faith into one another. Randolph, too, was present and before flying we made a bet on who was going to come home with a downed Hun today. That was the last time I seen Randolph.

Taking off through the mud and rain and heavy cloud we climbed up and higher upwards yet, then turning towards the intercept square. Arriving there, we circled for a bit, at one point finally setting our sights on Hun machines slowly going deeper behind our lines at our altitude and not far away at all, though despite this Shaw opted to ignore them and we kept circling for a few minutes. I begun to lose hope for an encounter and was preparing for the inevitable call for us to start heading home,having missed the Huns I presumed we were sent to intercept when all of a sudden Shaw waggled his wings and pushing his throttle to full started to accelerate, others starting to follow. Doing the same, I looked on and saw that we did manage to find ourselves a fight after all, materialising in the form of a Triplane flight pushing towards us from below. Just like that, the fight was on.

Diving downwards to meet the rising foe, I picked one out and started shooting though missing him as he pulled off to the side and I flew past him, now having merged and beginning our aerial dance. With both of us turning sharply for a second pass, the fight soon devolved into a series of sharp turns, dives, very controlled and just as uncontrolled spins and stalls and unfortunately for me had consisted of me having to sit on the defensive for most of it, constantly diving and turning out of the way of the Boche's guns. Despite me being able to outmaneuver the hun several times, even with him being insistant on putting holes into me, I struggled to get opportunities for anything besides an odd succesful shot into him, as when I would settle on to his 6, a Boche buddy of his would show up and start driving me off, forcing me to go evasive again. The two of them kept at it, mostly missing but still managing to sneak a bullet or two in on the odd occasion before eventually the first Boche broke off to head for home. I tried again to shoot at him, but his friend ruined the chance for me and I had to tangle with him after which he too broke off. I was about to give chase, but just then my RPMs begun to drop, no doubt as a result of combat damage, and I turned for our lines, gliding downwards before my engine shut off. I was in luck, as I managed to find myself a perfect field to land on, but right before I fully dedicated to it I managed to by some miracle get my engine working again, and even giving me almost full rotations. I thus pulled off from the grassy field and instead turned to head for a normal drome when another sight had presented itself.

Over in the distance, I spied another SE5 over our lines, slowly spiralling downwards lower and lower. At first I thought he must've been damaged and was simply about to try and land, so I hung around and watched to ensure he was alright, but it all turned for the worst when I noticed that he wasn't pulling out of the spiral and slowly but surely went crashing into a patch of woods... Instantly I turned my craft and despite knowing that I won't be taking off from there again I landed right into the mud at our side of the lines, but not before doing a low pass firing my guns into the air, hoping to convey the signal for the gathering infantry to clear the way. Having landed without running anyone over but still getting myself firmly stuck in the wet mud, I hoped out and rushed towards the crash site to greet the already large crowd of infantry and officers of various sorts from the nearby Regimental HQ and trenches who had also seen the SE5 slamming down into the trees. Getting past the crowd, I was greeted with the most saddening sight of a broken, torn up plane and just nearby the even more badly broken body of Lieutenant Shaw who must've been forcibly flung out of the plane by the impact. It was an utter pity, that, seeing Shaw who managed to just barely escape an encounter with the Boche the last time be slain in another not even a week later...

Cursing our collective misfortunate in the 64th, I reported to the Regt HQ and waited for a tender to arrive to take me and my plane, contemplating what further losses I would find once I arrive back the Les Hameux. In the evening, me and my damaged and now non-flyable plane finally found ourselves back home. There I was greeted with further news of the loss of Randolph and another airman, all in return for no claimed downed boches. Another solemn mood in the mess tonight and an unquestionable consesus of 'curse those huns and curse their luck'. What a mess...

Attached Files Shot04-30-21-00-39-36.jpgShot04-30-21-00-47-23.jpgShot04-30-21-00-52-23.jpgShot04-30-21-00-53-19.jpgShot04-30-21-00-58-21_1.jpgShot04-30-21-01-04-21_1.jpg

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
I bet you do, too, Buddy."
#4566705 - 04/30/21 04:43 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

№64 Squadron RAF
SE5A (Viper engine)

22 Missions.
14.6 Hours.
4 Claims.
2 Confirmed.

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
#4566712 - 04/30/21 06:24 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Lou - What a fine mission for Freddy to say his au revoir's with, three kills. All confirmed as well. The Germans will be ecstatic he's going on extended leave. As for Jacob, he's an old romantic at heart.

Raine - You're welcome, hopefully Marguerite's reply will be as good.

NR - Blimey, not a good day at all for Cunningham and 64 squadron. Those two scouts properly worked him over. Sounds like a proper set up, whilst everyone is concentrating above, hit them from below. It must be the day for low flying enemy aircraft as you will see.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4566717 - 04/30/21 06:55 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Oberflugmeister Jacob Kühn, EK2
Marine-Feld-Jagdstaffel 1
Jabbeke airfield

14 confirmed kills

30th April 1918

Whilst the weather was a little better it was barely flyable, however HQ had ordered Marine-Feld-Jagdstaffel aloft.

Oberleutenant Saschenberg asked Jacob if he would lead Kette Zwei on a patrol of the area.

Jacob jumped at the chance and took the briefing himself. After explaining the sortie to the rest of Kette Zwei he went to get ready.

The rain was still falling and thick clouds were the order of the day as Jacob and the others took off and formed up.

They'd climbed up to about 6000 feet when Jacob caught movement below and over towards the lines. He kept watching, there it was again. He now saw several shapes some way below, he recognised them as Camels.

What were they doing so far below Kette Zwei? 'Who cares' thought Jacob, 'time to make them pay'.

He ordered the rest of Kette Zwei to attack.

They dived down onto the Camels who were clambering for height. Jacob picked a target and fired into the Camel who rolled away. Jacob pulled his Albatros round and went with the Camel. He had height and used it, getting a good shot into the enemy aircraft who nosed down and went into the ground.

He selected another target, a Camel was below him and attacking a kamerad. Jacob swooped down and fired both barrels into him. He throttled back and continued hitting the Camel which didn't stand a chance. It burst into flames and crashed down into the ground.

Jacob leveled out and took stock. Two other Camels were already running for the lines and several Albatrosse were starting their landing cycles.

Over to his left however he saw an aircraft still circling and recognised another Camel.

He went after the enemy who dived onto Jacob but he was too quick for the Camel and came around behind and blasted the enemy aircraft. The Camel stuttered and Jacob hit him again. The Camel nosed down and went straight into the ground.

Jacob searched again but this time found nothing so started his landing cycle.

On landing and disembarking he was met by Oberleutenant Saschenberg. "Fantastic work Jacob!" extolled Saschenberg.

"I saw all three of those kills meine freund. I'll happily confirm those myself. We also downed three other Camels too!" Saschenberg explained.

"Now go and get cleaned up Jacob and then come to my office and we can complete the report" finished Saschenberg.

Attached Files 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4566722 - 04/30/21 07:08 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Oberflugmeister Jacob Kühn, EK2
Marine-Feld-Jagdstaffel 1
Jabbeke airfield

EOM stats

33 missions

21.75 hours

17 confirmed kills

28 claims

#4566733 - 04/30/21 08:21 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Topper117: Rudi is in a pinch. If the enemy dont get him , the Curse of he Gong Fairy will

#4566735 - 04/30/21 08:40 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Jules M. Dubra
Sgt, Esc 26 Spa
Hetomesnil, Aerodrome
Marne

3 Victory's
1 Unconfirmed

April 30th 1918.

Replacements came up both were trained on Rotary engine machines a lot slower then Spads, However they do have some nice stuff Dress uniforms with Capes and new Leather covered Flying boots. Talked to Lt Dombree whose wing I will be flying on Patrol. He said Stay on my wing and I will give you a shot. Late morning , we were off 5 a/c of II section for AF Patrol. As we turned for home , The Lt dived at what ? I dove also staying tight following him down. He had spotted two 2 seats no Escort on our side of the lines. The leader fire ( I think got some hits ) but he was slightly off center so be came the shooter. My Vickers barked for 88 rds then jammed but it was enough. The e/a puked smoke the a fire started burning as I passed the gunner was still standing as flames licked the fuselage. Down it went still burning to crash South of our lines. The flight got both e/as for 1 pilot wnd and 3 a/c damaged

Attached Files CFS3 2021-04-30 12-57-38-52.jpgCFS3 2021-04-30 12-59-10-65.jpgCFS3 2021-04-30 13-02-45-79.jpgCFS3 2021-04-30 13-03-34-88.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 04/30/21 08:48 PM.
#4566739 - 04/30/21 09:24 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

End of April stats

Feldwebel Ludwig Kemp
Jasta 56
Ingelmunster
4 missions 2.71 hours
1victory. 1 claim

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4566748 - 04/30/21 10:20 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Achtung!

[Linked Image]

It is the Kaiser's Royal and Imperial command that the following individual be recognized for his valor:

[Linked Image]

You make the Vaterland most proud.

#4566754 - 04/30/21 11:10 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, those Strutters had to be stopped, awful weather or not. Unfortunately it was Rudi that’d been stopped instead.
No such problems for Kühn. He just ripped through those Camels like they were Aircos. Jacob’s skills as a leader and a marksman are showing. Well done on downing all three - hope all get confirmed.

Trooper, I have a bad feeling about this. It’s like someone put a price on Rudi’s head.

Lou, “The Curse” hasn’t even had the time to start working yet and I get this already. What a day! And it looks like Rudi will require glasses to identify his targets to boot. Bad day all around.
At least Freddy fared better with the Albs. Too bad the Dreidecker had gotten away, but congratulations are in order nonetheless. Well done! 71 is indeed a respectable score to go home with.

NR, a rabbit’s foot has been ordered through the mail-in catalog. Rudi will need all the luck he can get.
But it looks like Dean’s got it in spades. You shouldn’t have made a bet who will come home with a downed Hun, but who will come home, it seems.
That must have been a hair raising experience fighting all those Dreideckers in this muck and once again Cunningham escapes unscathed - could really use some of that luck.
Sad news of another heavy blow to the 64th. That squadron definitely deserves the title of a meat grinder. Better luck next time!

Carrick, you’re just asking for it!

And now Lou, look what you’ve done. You’ve put a curse on poor Jacob. Is that how the Entente won the war? Congrats to Albert on a well deserved bling.

30 April, 1918 04:00
Le Mesnil, Flanders Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
Oberleutnant Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO, PLM, RA
85 confirmed kills

Rudi didn’t get much sleep last night and the klaxon announcing the air raid didn’t help his rotten mood nor did it alleviate his hangover. Fuchs looked at his watch. It was 04:00. He dressed himself hastily and ran to his machine already waiting on the field with the motor running. They all climbed one after another into the twilight. Their foe had to be there somewhere above. They all began to search, but it was the enemy firing their guns which found them first. Strutters again! Rudi had his fill of those two-seaters, but it looked like they didn’t lose their appetite and commenced the attack. It was still dark enough to be uncertain who was who. This cat and mouse game went for too long and Fuchs was grateful to see one of the Strutters make a mistake and stall in the middle of the furball. This was Rudi’s chance. He pummelled the two-seater with his Spandaus and continued to follow as the stricken enemy was bearing down in the direction of the airfield. “- There is nothing to help you now!” Rudi thought to himself and disengaged. He knew the Strutter was going nowhere but down. He turned around to see if there were any more of those blasted planes to take care of, but his Schwarm had been efficient and all the enemy planes were either eliminated or driven away.

YouTube Link

Fuchs gathered his lot into a proper formation and turned for Le Mesnil. The sun was now beginning to rise and the visibility increased immensely.

[Linked Image]

They were now circling their airfield, and getting ready to land, but something wasn’t right. The airfield Flak started to go off alerting the Schwarm to more enemy planes. He saw them. SPADs! The melee commenced anew, but there was something wrong. Rudi’s plane was not handling as well as before. Fuchs noticed his plane deficiency at the worst moment - while engaged in a fight with the enemy biplane. His earlier battle with the Strutters must have damaged his airframe. It was now stalling during any vigorous maneuvering. Fuchs would have to take it easy if he wanted to complete this mission in one piece. He let his wingmen do most of the work. He was able to get a few shots of his own, but in the end the SPAD he was fighting went to one of his Schwarm members. As he watched the wreck fall down and crash below he noticed another battle in progress. Three or four Fokkers were pursuing a lone SPAD. Fuchs reluctantly joined in and to his surprise was able to take it down. Its wings were blown off with Rudi’s final volley. It was all over after that and the remaining Dreideckers proceeded to land at their aerodrome.
By the evening the confirmation for both, the Strutter and the SPAD arrived as confirmed. Rudi’s score at the end of the month stood at 87.

YouTube Link

Attached Files 1918-04-30.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4566755 - 04/30/21 11:46 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Pursuant to Army Order 204, dated 6 July 1916, the following individual is hereby presented the Wounded Stripe:

[Linked Image]

Your King and Country thank you for your sacrifice and faithful service.

#4566756 - 05/01/21 12:07 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
End of month stats:

Oberleutnant Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO, PLM, RA
Jasta 19, JG II
Le Mesnil, Flanders Sector
Fokker Dr.I
100 missions
80.85 hrs
87 victories
148 claims

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4566758 - 05/01/21 12:26 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Feldwebel Ludwig Kemp
Jasta 56
April 30, 1918

Kemp returned to his airfield late in the afternoon. Entering Kommandant Collin’s office he saluted. “Ah, Kemp! Good to have you back!” He said as he motioned Kemp to a chair. “Thank you Sir, it’s good to be back” he replied as he sat down. Collin sat back in his chair. “I hope you are ready Kemp. We have to keep the pressure on and we are in sore need of every pilot.” Kemp nodded in the affirmative, Yes Sir, I’m ready.. It will be good to be back in the air.” Collin stood up followed by Kemp doing the same. “Get a little rest. We are up at first light.”
Kemp saluted and left the office. He made his way to Kasino. Upon entering the men of 56 let out a cheer. His friend Beckman motioned for him to sit. “So my boy, did that pretty nurse let you come home?” Kemp smiled and replied, “For your information Leutnant, she was very willing for me to stay!” Beckman laughed and poured Kemp a drink. “I know your not keen on the spirits my boy but this calls for a celebration.” Kemp slowly reached for the glass with his stiff right arm. “Just this one my friend.”

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4566761 - 05/01/21 12:54 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Tross - Certainly not the best day, no. Could've been better for sure, but it is what it is. As for them two: certainly may have been a set up, probably in more ways than one too. Given just how much they were covering each other, I'd almost be certain they two must've practiced it at some point. Smart buggers, them two.
Certainly seems like it, whole lotta low flyers then. Most unfortunate for them in Jacob's case though. Congratulations on the victories and congrats on the bling. Lest it stings, of course.

Carrick - Good job! How unfortunate for the poor gunner.

Fullofit - Let's hope that it will be enough then!
Indeed, that would've been a more fitting bet at this rate. Then again, with the current state of affairs everyone is making that bet and gambling with their lives anytime they leave the field.
Was indeed a very difficult fight, and one I'm most surprised Dean managed to get out of untouched. Those things really do live turning on a dime, huh? Seems like his good luck brings mosfrtune to the rest of the squadron though.
It may as well be renamed to that! With losses like these, the 64th may as well be fighting in place of the entire RAF!

Those Strutters seriously never learn, not who they're fighting nor how suicidal those merges of theirs are. Seriously could've had another bad collision there!
And what a beautiful photo right there. Quality.
Gotta say, it does really feel like someone out there put a bounty on Rudi's head. Everyone is just all too keen to kill him nowadays... Bitter Frenchmen?

Epower - Congrats on the stripe! Well, again, as much one can congratulate a wound award.

№64 Squadron RAF
April 30th, 1918.

2 confirmed

It's a funny thing, war. One day everything goes to hell and you lose several people you know, the next everything is back to being quiet as though nothing ever happened. Following yesterday's misfortunate fight with the Hun triplanes a mostly quiet day of clear weather had ensued.

With the weather clearing up from yesterday we received an order to provide escort to an all too eager reconissance mission over the frontlines. Some of our machines still damaged and with our better pilots now dead we were not in an ideal position to fly, though we were to go through it anyway without question, and so we did. Leaving the field with 5 men, we were relieved to later return with the same 5 people still alive and in one piece. The escort mission went through as intended, with us meeting the photographers at the intended spot and then guiding them over the lines and making sure no one touches them, or more importanty touches us while we are in such a weak and vulnerable position. Thankfully, besides the ever eager Archie on the ground, no one did show and we came and went undisturbed.

Given our current state, this was to be our last flight for the day but fate and the Huns still had other plans. While our planes were still on the field, we received a call and shortly after alarms started blaring as Hun bombers had figured they'd pay us a visit and shower us with gifts of their own. We of course were having none of that, and rushed to our planes, Captain Hayden leading the flight into the skies, an increasingly large formation of bombers gathering above our field as we rose. Unfortunately, our desire for a fight with these unescorted bombers and the craving for revenge was denied, as the Huns did the same old move that they always do when we scramble to greet them and promptly turned and ran, disappearing out of sight by the time we finally get to altitude. Thus, we landed, finding our field undamaged and assumed the Hun must've missed or we managed to scare them off before they got a proper shot off...

At the very least, we are to receive some more transfers into our Squadron, hopefully bringing up the capacity of airmen we got once again despite the recent deaths. Furthermore, I've heard some rumours that we are to receive a shipment of new Lewis Guns firing at a whole 700 RPM instead of 550... While not particularly enthused by the Lewis Gun given how often the damned thing jams, it would certainly not hurt to have something like that, especially at times when every little bit helps. I cannot help but wonder if it would've helped those of us who didn't make it... Here goes a drink to them.

Attached Files Shot04-30-21-23-59-52.jpgShot05-01-21-00-07-28.jpgShot05-01-21-00-26-15.jpg

Page 289 of 366 1 2 287 288 289 290 291 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse