Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4566560 - 04/30/21 12:18 AM Entente paintjobs?  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

A curious question that came to mind:

The German airmen during the war seemed to have quite a lot of free reign in regards to when they painted their craft, if they painted their craft and what they painted on their craft. Wacky paintjobs, personal symbols, writing, what have you.
What about the pilots of the Entente? I know Americans and French had some reign, given the occasional personal marking/art and the squadron insignias at times. What about the RFC/RAF? Paintjobs seem to be a no go, but what about any other personal additions? Were those forbidden or was it simply a case of no one really wanting or bothering to do it?

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
I bet you do, too, Buddy."
#4566576 - 04/30/21 02:29 AM Re: Entente paintjobs? [Re: NotRelevant]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Speaking strictly from the planes I have skinned that were RFC/RAF...

Early war, it was somewhat "allowed", but as anything that involves the human factor... it's goes overboard. So with that, I believe by early 1917, it was restricted to only squadron markings with white paint ... any personal markings were restricted to small, unobtrusive designs using mostly white as well.

They claim it was because the planes began to look like a circus show of individuality, which by most military standards... is not allowed. I don't remember if it was the King said it, or a high-ranking General. But when he saw the look of the planes, he was appalled and immediately requested they stop the use of personal markings.

As for the French... they had some pretty flamboyant paint jobs here and there. I never read anything about restrictions. I gather it was really because the planes had squadron markings already which were colorful with designs, numbers and stripes.... So personal markings kind-of got lost in the look.

Same for the Americans. There were a few here and there... but again, like the French, they already had some pretty interesting paint schemes for squadron markings.

The philosophy behind the Germans was two fold... it was to intimidate and confuse. It wasn't always about the personal markings... the Lozenge and camo patterns provided the "dazzle" style that was the look of the era.... the personal markings would identify and also create more visual confusion. Most notable with Udet's Fokker D.VII, Hans Kirschstein's Fokker Dr.1 and Jasta 5's Josef Mai's Fokker D.VII flying in full stripped Dazzle paint.

OvS

Last edited by OvStachel; 04/30/21 02:30 AM.

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4566603 - 04/30/21 09:34 AM Re: Entente paintjobs? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Sandbagger Offline
Hotshot
Sandbagger  Offline
Hotshot

Coningsby, Lincs, UK
As James says, fancy colour schemes were frowned upon and mostly the only real colour was in squadron markings and even those were in the main pretty drab.
There were exceptions, for example:
The Felixstowe F2's of the Felixstowe NAS were gaudily painted with dazzle schemes, similar to what was tried on Navy ships.
Briefly the SE5's of No:56 and No:60 Squadron and Sopwith Camels of No.9 and No:10 Squadrons (RNAS) were painted with individual markings.
Some RNAS Squadrons, like No:13 Squadron, carried on the Navy tradition when they were renumbered No:213 Squadron when merged with the RFC to form the RAF on the 1st April 1918.
The American Squadrons were less restricted and had personal markings with the Lafeyette Escadrille and later with the UAS Squadrons.
Many of these, apart from the Felixstowe, are represented in BH&H II,

Mike

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro
#4566607 - 04/30/21 09:55 AM Re: Entente paintjobs? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
The SE5's of 60 Squadron were brightly colored, with yellow, red and blue schemes, predominantly the cowling, tail and wheels. This is in the game. These were across the squadron though rather than individual style.

The vast majority of RFC and RNAS aircraft had only a couple of words on the side at most or quite often just a single letter.

The French were far more colourful, from Navarre's all red Nieuport 11, Nungesser and his skull and coffin emblem through to Maurice Boyau and his Dragon emblazoned aircraft.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4566610 - 04/30/21 10:06 AM Re: Entente paintjobs? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Don't need fancy colours to be a feared killer... with RFC/RAF paint schemes all being very similar, a Hun airman wouldn't really know what to expect when he took someone on...

#4566663 - 04/30/21 01:11 PM Re: Entente paintjobs? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Dezh Offline
Vice President Barmy OFFers Club
Dezh  Offline
Vice President Barmy OFFers Club

Hampshire, United Kingdom
RNAS squadrons seem to have got away with more in the way of individual markings and colourful schemes than the RFC as Sandbagger notes. Which is one of the reasons I like flying with the RNAS. The humbug stripes of No. 10 are favourite but No. 3 has some colourful birds too.

The Camel squadrons in Italy may have had more freedom too. Clifford McEwan of No. 28 Sqn managed to keep this one:

[img]https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/536350636866180229/[/img]

Variously depicted as red and white or black and white checks. I did try skinning it once but it was a nightmare to line up. If Lou releases his Italian Front add-on - BH&HII 'Ali sopra i Campi Italiani' - I may have to resurrect it.

Last edited by Dezh; 05/01/21 04:07 PM.

Oh that I was back in the dear old PBI.
With no more Triplanes on me tail, nor tracer tracing by.
And no more flames and clickerty-clack and no more blooming sky,
And only a couple of feet to fall whenever I want to die.

No. 56 Squadron Song
#4566765 - 05/01/21 01:11 AM Re: Entente paintjobs? [Re: Trooper117]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Originally Posted by Trooper117
Don't need fancy colours to be a feared killer... with RFC/RAF paint schemes all being very similar, a Hun airman wouldn't really know what to expect when he took someone on...

I agree... if you see Fritz Kempf's Dr.1 of Jasta 2... it says Kennescht mi noch? Which roughly translates to "remember me?"... like a cheeky sounding "hey buddy... remember me?"

He wasn't even an ace. 4 kills and off to finish the war as a Flight Instructor. So, it really didn't matter. It was more of an ego thing to many of these pilots.... to some a form of luck (hence many of the swastika's and crosses), some of family/town pride or old folklore (Jasta 65's Sieben Schwaben flown by Gefr Wilhelm Scheutzel). Individual markings all depended on the Flight Group and the individual influence.

Look some of them up from all Air Corps.... you'll be amazed at some of the stories behind them.

French
Esc 3 The Storks
Esc 48's Screaming Roosters

RFC
23 and 56

Camels of
RNAS 3
RNAS 9
RNAS 10

Jastas
2, 11, 18, 28w, 40s

USAS
13th Grim Reapers
94th Hat in Ring (America finally put it's Hat in the Ring)
95th Kicking Asses (American slang for kicking the #%&*$# out of them)

Just to name a few.

Last edited by OvStachel; 05/01/21 01:23 AM.

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4566808 - 05/01/21 10:56 AM Re: Entente paintjobs? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
My Favourite French Esc is No.48... with their cockerel motif on their Spads. Very striking. I have a career going with them at the moment.
But yes, some great and colourful units about. notworthy

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM