Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4565392 - 04/21/21 11:10 AM Bad screens in EAW  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
A player with corrupted screens in Windows 7 found it difficult to get his PC to use the D3DWindower, (which fixes the problem for me in Win 7).
For him the game was unplayable.

I came up with an alternative, based on some past experience.
Years ago I had corrupted screens, but I could see enough to select multiplayer. When I did, the protocols screen was not corrupted.
What was even more interesting was that when I returned from multiplayer the previously corrupted screens were no longer corrupted.
We never found out why, but it worked and several people used it smile

In UAW160 we have a library of scripts for multiplayer games, and also a version of the exe that goes straight to the multiplayer section without the normal selection screens.
Loading this exe, and a script allows the user to fly a "host-only" mission which is not actually multiplayer, but the equivalent of a single mission game, with no corrupted screens smile

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4565522 - 04/22/21 06:54 AM Re: Bad screens in EAW [Re: MrJelly]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

I noticed this also many years ago on my first EAW flights with a real old ATI video. I noted there is a difference in whether the mainscreen does the color rotation routine or not.
If there is a network connection then the color is not cycled, etc.
BY color cyle I mean the 'stunning 256 colors' rotation mainscreen menu effects.

For coders;
Its my theory that its the color cycle function which AFAIR is done by either the v refesh or hertz shifting that is the problem. Probably just commenting out that function (not sure the name - look it up in the code or the docs I have posted) or even a hex edit could stop the cycle.

When EAW starts the main menu shows and there are various ways to get into game menus
example from the EAW_13_04x Docs - this is by no means exclusive there is a lot of other stuff that goes on and many pics illustrate different paths that occur when triggered by the game menus, functions, etc
https://eawonlinux.neocities.org/images/_c_net_lib_8c_acd0047c984144a6e9c4b960dfddb7686_icgraph.png

Also you might note stuff occurs at the end of a flight or mission, campaigns etc. . This shows also some interesting stuff about the campaign end that checks for a movie etc. To solve that other error complained about by some Gog forum people, you could most likely change or fix those areas.

Last edited by FsFOOT; 04/22/21 07:00 AM. Reason: ..
#4565613 - 04/22/21 08:33 PM Re: Bad screens in EAW [Re: MrJelly]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I always thought it had to do with directdraw and the refresh rates. Jumping about screens to come back to a previous screen, must be the result of some initialization of DD.
But i really don't know for sure.

#4566098 - 04/26/21 03:03 PM Re: Bad screens in EAW [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Update:
The post I made about a language problem with the desktop was related to this thread.

We got everything working for host only missions without corrupted screens, but the later discovery had me wondering about the user's lack of success in installing the d3dwindower.
He went back and successfully installed it on his C drive and not the desktop. When he used the windower to launch UAW160 with a full version of the exe (not the special multiplayer only version) it ran with no corrupted screens, as it does for me in Win 7.

He is a happy camper wink

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.