Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4565381 - 04/21/21 08:45 AM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: messyhead]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

I didn't change any of the export code for the Blackhawk, so I'll need to go over it all and see what's needing fixed. The code was based on the Kiowa cockpit code, so there's probably quite a bit needing changed/fixed.

#4565387 - 04/21/21 10:02 AM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: Reticuli]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted by Reticuli
Originally Posted by messyhead
and there's a nifty thing with shift k where I can get the copilot main MFD to show transparently in my HMD that's kinda neat.

I looked into this, and it's not desired behaviour. It's being caused as the helmet mounted sight (HMS) transparency texture uses the same texture reference as the MFD. It's an annoying one to solve though, as there's a finite number of textures that can be used, and I think I'm at my limit. I'll need to work out how to add more textures. It seems simple enough, but every time I've tried it, the new texture reference isn't picked up.

It is more useful than that HMD tint, at least.

Well I'm probably about to disable the tint to fix the issue. I'm not sure what the tint is used for anyway.

To increase readability. I wouldn't disable the tint entirely just to get rid of it. Your accident is kind of great, and the tint usually isn't on by default and can be dimmed or turned off, anyway. Putting the ASE or whatever it is in the HMD's been a lifesaver... literally... at least as much as you can say that in a sim. Maybe what we really need is the ability to put mini mfds in each lower corner even inside the cockpit view. Hard to choose between the no-cockpit view with those and the cockpit view, sometimes.

I think I'm actually going to leave this feature, that I totally meant to do BTW biggrin

Now I've tried it out, when you're in the pilot seat, you can project your co-pilots main MFD onto your HMS. So you can then have visibility of what your co-pilot is showing on their MFD. Genius - even if I do say so myself biggrin

I was going to remove it as it wasn't "realistic", but then not a lot of this cockpit is, so I don't suppose it matters.

When I started this project, I was going to try and stick to as real a cockpit setup as I could, which is partly why it's taken so long. I was going to try and make more realistic MFDs based on information I'd found about the MH-60K/L that the model is based on. But now I just want to get it finished, so I've scaled back my ambitions quite a bit.

#4565393 - 04/21/21 11:18 AM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: messyhead]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
Hi Messyhead,

I think I threw you a false alarm.

I gave it a try again today and changed the exported MFDs sizes back to the default (I had mine set for my second widescreen monitor) and they look OK.

I think what threw me initially was that your engine screen doesn't use the whole of the square screen (it used about the top 3/4) which is why I thought it was squashed.

The F3/F4 problem is still there though.

Cheers,

Andy

BTW is it only supposed to export the main MFD ? none of the others show up.

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#4565398 - 04/21/21 11:54 AM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: AndyB]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted by AndyB
Hi Messyhead,

I think I threw you a false alarm.

I gave it a try again today and changed the exported MFDs sizes back to the default (I had mine set for my second widescreen monitor) and they look OK.

I think what threw me initially was that your engine screen doesn't use the whole of the square screen (it used about the top 3/4) which is why I thought it was squashed.

The F3/F4 problem is still there though.

Cheers,

Andy

BTW is it only supposed to export the main MFD ? none of the others show up.

Ah ok, thanks for the update. I hadn't started looking at the export code yet. It'll only be exporting the main MFDs for now, as I had left that code alone, and hadn't changed it to include the small MFDs. Would it be useful to also have them exported? I never use that feature myself, so not sure.

#4565440 - 04/21/21 04:22 PM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: messyhead]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
Possibly one of them, yes. It would be in keeping with the other choppers that have twin MFDs like the comanche, apache, viper etc

in the comanche you also have the two smaller MFDs that are not exported ( I think it would put too much of a load on the system to do that) so we already have that situation where some of the MFDs are not exported..

We also have some aircraft that only have one MFD which can be exported (mainly the Russian ones I think).

Basically, I'd say it's your choice. I think you've probably got enough to do without adding in extra code to export them.

what about the screen in the middle with the waypoints ? could that be exported just for waypoint data along wiith the main MFD and leave the two smaller ones as is ?

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#4565445 - 04/21/21 04:45 PM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: AndyB]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted by AndyB
what about the screen in the middle with the waypoints ? could that be exported just for waypoint data along wiith the main MFD and leave the two smaller ones as is ?

That's actually just a graphic. That screen is meant to be a weather or terrain radar screen. I did have plans to use it as a ground radar screen (which I might still do), but at the moment it's just a static display.

#4565463 - 04/21/21 07:37 PM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: messyhead]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
If you're going to make that a fixed waypoint display in the middle, then it should probably be the TSD. I'd prefer having a fixed ASE page in the middle, but I believe the surrounding knobs indicate it's supposed to be related to the flight director system which the TSD is the closest analog. Not a bad choice considering I believe that's what Longbow 2 did at least on the Kiowa. You could even make it changeable like the aux mini displays in the Comanche, though that's not necessary.

By the way, do we have a way to have the ASE page pop up automatically when auto CM is triggered and either of the jammers turn on or you pop chaff or flares?

Last edited by Reticuli; 04/21/21 07:40 PM.

The term "necroposting" was invented by a person with no social memory beyond a year. People with a similar hangup are those o.k. with the internet being transient vapor.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011/12/methanol-wins-open-wager.html

Saitek X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick
#4565531 - 04/22/21 09:19 AM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: Reticuli]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

If you're going to make that a fixed waypoint display in the middle, then it should probably be the TSD. I'd prefer having a fixed ASE page in the middle, but I believe the surrounding knobs indicate it's supposed to be related to the flight director system which the TSD is the closest analog. Not a bad choice considering I believe that's what Longbow 2 did at least on the Kiowa. You could even make it changeable like the aux mini displays in the Comanche, though that's not necessary.

Are you meaning this screen? If so, then this is the terrain/weather radar screen showing a graphic in Nav mode, not the flight director. That's the 2 screens on the central console. The terrain/weather radar isn't modelled in EECH. Arneh did start adding a terrain profile mode into a work in progress years ago for his Apache avionics improvements, but it was abandoned and never finished - which is a shame.

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads....s-modernization-program-work-in-progress

I was going to try and bring Arneh's terrain radar code over to show on that screen, but that's not in my plans now. I'll probably just remove the waypoint graphic as if the screen is off, and change the dial on it to the off position.

I think I might also be limited in how many more displays I can add. The code seems to have a limit on textures, in that you need to re-use the original display textures, and there's a finite number of them. I think I'm already using all or most of them - which is why the problem with the HMS overlay occurs as it's using the same texture as the co-pilot main MFD. All of the digital displays that show the digital numbers are using a different display texture, and each of the MFDs is using it's own. So that's 6 for the MFDs, 7 for the digital readouts, 1 for the radar altimeter, and 1 for the chronometer, and 1 each for chaff and flares. I don't think there's any unused display textures left to add more displays.

In theory, adding new textures should just work, as they can get added to the texture index and so should then be available in the game. But whenever I've tried it, it won't display in game. It must have been possible at some point in the past, as the Hind cockpit added it's own textures for the moving map. But when I do the same as was done for the Hind, it doesn't work.

Anyway, that's probably more detail than you needed smile

By the way, do we have a way to have the ASE page pop up automatically when auto CM is triggered and either of the jammers turn on or you pop chaff or flares?

I thought this should happen if auto page is enabled? Does it work in other cockpits?

Attached Files BAE Systems SOCET SET Screenshot 2021.04.22 - 10.03.18.47.png
Last edited by messyhead; 04/22/21 09:20 AM.
#4565545 - 04/22/21 12:23 PM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: messyhead]  
Hijongpark Offline
Hijongpark  Offline

the game crashes occassionally when I try to enter blackhawk cockpit.

Debug log says :

ASSERT 'paths[path].from >= 0 && paths[path].from < number_of_nodes' (D:\blackhawk-1-16-1\modules\3d\terrain\terrmap.c:1692)
ASSERT 'point_inside_map_volume (v) || v->y == -10000' (D:\blackhawk-1-16-1\aphavoc\source\entity\system\en_funcs\en_vec3d.c:452)
ASSERT 'point_inside_map_volume (v) || v->y == -10000' (D:\blackhawk-1-16-1\aphavoc\source\entity\system\en_funcs\en_vec3d.c:452)

Also the rotor is not properly rendered in cockpit view, it is missing the middle of the rotor or sometimes invisible.

#4565585 - 04/22/21 05:43 PM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: Hijongpark]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted by Hijongpark

Debug log says :

ASSERT 'paths[path].from >= 0 && paths[path].from < number_of_nodes' (D:\blackhawk-1-16-1\modules\3d\terrain\terrmap.c:1692)

Those errors aren't anything to do with the cockpit, they seem to be an error with the map and placing objects in the map.

Which map were you trying, and which base game version were you on?

Also the rotor is not properly rendered in cockpit view, it is missing the middle of the rotor or sometimes invisible.

I know. I mentioned this a few posts ago that's it's a work in progress.

Last edited by messyhead; 04/22/21 06:10 PM.
#4565625 - 04/22/21 11:12 PM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: messyhead]  
Hijongpark Offline
Hijongpark  Offline

Debug log says :

Those errors aren't anything to do with the cockpit, they seem to be an error with the map and placing objects in the map.

I'm on 1.16.2 version and played Taiwan The great leap campaign.

Are there any possible ways to fix this issue, and if it's not related to blackhawk why does it only happene when i try to enter blackhawk ?

#4565654 - 04/23/21 04:25 AM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: Hijongpark]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Debug log says :

Are there any possible ways to fix this issue, and if it's not related to blackhawk why does it only happene when i try to enter blackhawk ?

I've been able to load into this map in free flight and campaign in the Blackhawk multiple times and didn't get a crash.

Do you ever get the occasional crash when using another cockpit, or when not using my Blackhawk? As it's occasional, and the log all points to map code, I still don't think it's related to my updates.

#4565655 - 04/23/21 04:27 AM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: messyhead]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

I've been able to load into this map in free flight and campaign in the Blackhawk multiple times and didn't get a crash.

Do you ever get the occasional crash when using another cockpit, or when not using my Blackhawk? As it's occasional, and the log all points to map code, I still don't think it's related to my updates.

Also, if you do get a crash, could you note which base you were spawning at on the map before entering the cockpit and see if it's the same base every time you get a crash?

Last edited by messyhead; 04/23/21 04:39 AM.
#4565717 - 04/23/21 05:06 PM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: messyhead]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
The only CTDs I have that are immediate seem to be from trying to go into a save game that was originally flown with another version.

My CTDs are usually not immediate but after flying around a while. Far more frequent than normal with the new blackhawk exe, but 1.16.2 itself occasionally has a freeze/CTD of its own that I probably should be running debugger version to find out why. Anyway, the address it was looking for on your exe's debug seemed to say the MFD stuff on that assert thing is trying to find it somewhere it's not, as if there's a line of code tailored for your system, Messyhead, and not anyone's system. Like instead of going to a local directory on any install it might be trying to go to your specific directory on your system, which would explain why it seems fine on your end but not on others'.

Last edited by Reticuli; 04/23/21 05:06 PM.

The term "necroposting" was invented by a person with no social memory beyond a year. People with a similar hangup are those o.k. with the internet being transient vapor.

Saitek X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

#4565731 - 04/23/21 06:33 PM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: Reticuli]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

The only CTDs I have that are immediate seem to be from trying to go into a save game that was originally flown with another version.

My CTDs are usually not immediate but after flying around a while. Far more frequent than normal with the new blackhawk exe, but 1.16.2 itself occasionally has a freeze/CTD of its own that I probably should be running debugger version to find out why. Anyway, the address it was looking for on your exe's debug seemed to say the MFD stuff on that assert thing is trying to find it somewhere it's not, as if there's a line of code tailored for your system, Messyhead, and not anyone's system. Like instead of going to a local directory on any install it might be trying to go to your specific directory on your system, which would explain why it seems fine on your end but not on others'.

I'm a software tester as my normal job. If I submitted a bug report like that, I'd get sacked 😁

I'll need some specifics to try and track it down.

#4565742 - 04/23/21 08:08 PM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: messyhead]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
Messyhead, do you use a D directory on your system? My D is a disc drive.

#4565746 - 04/23/21 09:00 PM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: messyhead]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Yes, I have a D drive. But I'd need more info on the path and files it was referring to in order to have a clue where to look for the error. Every file I'm working on for this mod is stored on my D drive.

If you're not running the debug exe, then enable debug logging in the EECH.ini file so it at least captures errors on crash.

#4565791 - 04/24/21 04:00 AM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: messyhead]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
This is what's in the debug-save-errors.txt file.

Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 892432831230889568200000000000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 2780701052580032379000000000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 47372538685422761187000000000000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: -50550120935431673479000000000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: -51581247616903939914000000000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 2335818230463709024800000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 1044563263882540814300000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 4749500561762918528600000000000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 100997338105097749730000000000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 18185502759877202841000000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 32578964727938921864000000000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 18935509004686559894000000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 1326800809393538388800000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 327946213781225167170000000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 3760409701092449403600000000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 109820486002825017820000000000000000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: -53053699922381444412000000000000.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 16951707327096946687.000000
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: 1400078, float value: 43752.437500
Overflow unsigned float value type: FLOAT_TYPE_AMPLIFICATION, width 6, int value: -2147483648, float value: 456153979280808174260000000000000.000000

And that's of course in addition to the prior pop up upon crashing that I already posted the text for.

Edit: Wait a minute, that stuff was actually problems from 2-22-2021 as that's the last modification date of the txt file, so that must have been with just 1.16.2 stock debug version. I ran the DEBUG-BH.exe version several times in the last week and it doesn't appear to have logged any of them, so as of right now all I've posted that applies to this specific problem is the ASSERT text from the popup.

Couldn't you just search your code for "D:\blackhawk-1-16-1\" or even just "D:" and then make those sort of relative lookups instead of the exact location that's only valid on your system?

Last edited by Reticuli; 04/24/21 04:25 AM.

#4565800 - 04/24/21 07:21 AM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: messyhead]  
Hijongpark Offline
Hijongpark  Offline

Ok I just got a crash when I tried to enter kiowa cockpit. so I can say that my crash issue isn;t related to this mod. I'll try reinstalling the entire game.

#4565802 - 04/24/21 07:37 AM Re: Blackhawk Cockpit Mod - issue reports [Re: Hijongpark]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Ok I just got a crash when I tried to enter kiowa cockpit. so I can say that my crash issue isn;t related to this mod. I'll try reinstalling the entire game.

Which map was it on, still Taiwan? Did you notice which base you were spawning at?

I did get one crash on Taiwan after trying a load of times, but I believe it's related to the map, and spawning entities into the map. And I wondered if it was happening at the same base every time.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.