Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4565597 - 04/22/21 07:06 PM Jasta 5 and the Fokker E.III  
Palajan Offline
Palajan  Offline

Switzerland
Dear all,

i started a Pilot in the Jasta 5 in 2016, flying the E.III

1) Is it normal, that the Fokker E3 is so very slow in the bank controls? Is it because of the missing ailerons? Its quite difficult to change directions in a dogfight, even with intensive use of the rudder. All other aircraft feel more "normal" to me. What i have read about the E3 was that it was very maneuverable because of the winding wings. But this seems to be very heavy and slow turning behaviour.

2) Why can i join the Jasta 5 in January 1916 when it was historically found later, in August 1916?

BTW my first pilot had 5 hours flying experience and two confirmed kills. I was on a successful balloon busting tour over Verdun when i saw a convoy. Tried to strafe it, but i had the feeling im only firing plush balls. Not one of the trucks got damaged although i fired hundreds of rounds on them. But OK. Suddenly my wingman got involved with two Nieuport 11 high above me, i saw it too late. Climbing to them took a lot of time with 100 km/h speed. Then it happened...one of these french guys hit me, i was slowly bleeding out. Roughly only some hundred meters before i was on the save side on the front, my pilot passed away and crashed. So sad. This game tells really immersive stories! Love it!

Last edited by Palajan; 04/23/21 04:51 AM.

Win 11 PC | 7800 X3D | 64 GB DDR5 | RTX 3080Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit ;-) | TrackIR 5 | Virpil Alpha + CM3 Throttle + Control Panel | TM TPA Rudder
#4565608 - 04/22/21 08:16 PM Re: Jasta 5 and the Fokker E.III [Re: Palajan]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
I have read quite opposite - Fokker Eindeckers had very low maneuverability just because of warpable wings.

#4565610 - 04/22/21 08:23 PM Re: Jasta 5 and the Fokker E.III [Re: Palajan]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Welcome Palajan.
1) Yes. Quiet manoeuvrable in 1915 perhaps wink. No seriously wing warping (wires pulling on the ends of the wing and bending it) is not the answer in WW1 era aircraft for aerobatics. Keep your speed up and try the Immelman manoeuvre (the old one not the new one).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immelmann_turn#/media/File:WW1Immelmann.png keep the speed up before doing it. Don't overdo the stick movement just get the roll going then ease off.
If you are stuck in a roll, it's quicker to use rudder to slide your nose pointing down, then gain speed and pull up then you can use rudder to slide off in a different direction.

It was deadly versus a BE2c or other slow mostly unarmed or poorly armed craft with no forward gun. Not deadly versus much else.

2) I think you mean 1916 not 2016 wink ? They were not active until August 1916
https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Jagdstaffel_5

Glad you are enjoying though!

WOFF celebrates the awkward, the poorly trimmed, quirky aircraft, underdog, you name it - welcome to WW1.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4565614 - 04/22/21 08:36 PM Re: Jasta 5 and the Fokker E.III [Re: Palajan]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

@OP, wing warping is somewhat inefficient and stiff but used longer than necessary on early Fokker aircraft (penny-pinching on materials, sticking with tried-and-true methods, etc., the Fokker factory was well-known for skimping on things until about the last year or two of the war). Also, in terms of the Eindecker series, the best one is probably the E.II, mid-production batch with the slightly shorter wingspan than the span that was then used as standard on the E.III - gives a bit more maneuverability and basically the same top speed, almost, as on the E.III.

Cheers all,
Von S smile2

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4565617 - 04/22/21 08:50 PM Re: Jasta 5 and the Fokker E.III [Re: JJJ65]  
jakethescot1 Offline
jakethescot1  Offline

Originally Posted by JJJ65
I have read quite opposite - Fokker Eindeckers had very low maneuverability just because of warpable wings.

Makes you wonder how pilots like Udet, Jacobs, Berthold and others survived until better aircraft came out. Going against Nie 10's and 11's, you either had to be very good or very lucky.

Last edited by jakethescot1; 04/22/21 08:55 PM.
#4565619 - 04/22/21 09:55 PM Re: Jasta 5 and the Fokker E.III [Re: Palajan]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Originally Posted by Palajan
Dear all,

i started a Pilot in the Jasta 5 in 2016, flying the E.III

2) Why can i join the Jasta 5 in January 2016 when it was historically found later, in August 2016?

Although it's listed as Jasta 5 on the drop-down, several of those Jastas originated from various KEKs and Fokkerstaffels and Jasta 5 is no different.

If you join Jasta 5 prior to it actually becoming known as Jasta 5, it shows as KEK Avillers I think it is. So on the main campaign screen you should see it showing as KEK Avillers.

It's done that way so that when the KEKs become Jastas you just carry on with the same unit.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4565630 - 04/22/21 11:54 PM Re: Jasta 5 and the Fokker E.III [Re: jakethescot1]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Originally Posted by jakethescot1
Originally Posted by JJJ65

Makes you wonder how pilots like Udet, Jacobs, Berthold and others survived until better aircraft came out. Going against Nie 10's and 11's, you either had to be very good or very lucky.

Discretion is the better part of valour. I flew a career with the E.III and it's not they type of aircraft for people who like to charge in bald-headed. If you don't have a viable exit strategy, don't engage, especially not with the new AI who will punish you for your hubris!

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4565631 - 04/22/21 11:59 PM Re: Jasta 5 and the Fokker E.III [Re: Palajan]  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
From my reading most Eindecker pilots avoided turn fights because the wing-warping made banking very slow. An Eindecker pilot would gain height and loiter over the lines awaiting an Allied aeroplane to pass underneath him. Then he would dive, shoot and climb for another pounce. However few hung around if there were Nieuport Bebe's around. The it was a case of dive, shoot and keeping diving to get away.

Very few Eindecker pilots possessed the ability and skill of Wintgens, Boelcke or Immelmann.

"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
#4565659 - 04/23/21 05:03 AM Re: Jasta 5 and the Fokker E.III [Re: Palajan]  
Palajan Offline
Palajan  Offline

Switzerland
Thanks for the information, that brings some light in it.

In the german Wiki is the sentence i mentioned.

"Durch die Verwindungssteuerung und die voll beweglichen Seiten- und Höhenruder reagierte das Flugzeug sehr sensibel auf Steuerbewegungen; ein Vorteil für den geübten Flugzeugführer, aber auch ein Risiko in der Hand unerfahrener Piloten"
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fokker_E.I-IV
Means: Because of the winding controls [and the full movable rudder and elevator] the aicraft reacted very sensitive which was an advantage for the good pilots [and a disadvantage for the unexperienced pilots...]

Cockpit ;-) | TrackIR 5 | Virpil Alpha + CM3 Throttle + Control Panel | TM TPA Rudder
#4565664 - 04/23/21 06:58 AM Re: Jasta 5 and the Fokker E.III [Re: Palajan]  
xNightFlyerx Offline
xNightFlyerx  Offline

FL
I like the look of the aircraft and is fun to fly but when it comes to dogfight it's not pretty at least for me. I almost always end up a lawndart lol. I seem to have trouble building up enough speed to do Immelman. Guess jus need more practice.

#4565673 - 04/23/21 10:13 AM Re: Jasta 5 and the Fokker E.III [Re: Palajan]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

The way I see it, if it was so good to fly in dogfights, it would still be used in 1918. It may have been twitchy etc, but not necessarily manoeuvrable due to wing warping.

Last edited by Polovski; 04/23/21 10:13 AM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4565675 - 04/23/21 10:31 AM Re: Jasta 5 and the Fokker E.III [Re: Palajan]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia

The way I see it, is it had a machine gun(s) firing through the prop so it didn't need to be nimble, just able to dive, shoot and zoom, repeat as necessary, on obsolete two seaters. At least at first. When the DH2 and Nieuport Bebe came along, things became a little more problematic. From what I understand, against such aircraft, it's performance was somewhat lacking. It was not a great fighter in retrospect, but at the time with its radical gun setup it swept all aside. Until the Entente kind of wised up with inventive and lateral thinking ways of shooting forward to avoid at all costs an interrupter/sychroniser mechanism! And it worked! For a while ....

Until the Albatros scout came along ....

Last edited by catch; 04/23/21 11:04 AM.
#4565685 - 04/23/21 11:58 AM Re: Jasta 5 and the Fokker E.III [Re: Palajan]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Originally Posted by Palajan
Thanks for the information, that brings some light in it.

In the german Wiki is the sentence i mentioned.

"Durch die Verwindungssteuerung und die voll beweglichen Seiten- und Höhenruder reagierte das Flugzeug sehr sensibel auf Steuerbewegungen; ein Vorteil für den geübten Flugzeugführer, aber auch ein Risiko in der Hand unerfahrener Piloten"
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fokker_E.I-IV
Means: Because of the winding controls [and the full movable rudder and elevator] the aicraft reacted very sensitive which was an advantage for the good pilots [and a disadvantage for the unexperienced pilots...]

Hiya Palajan. Welcome. As an early war German pilot, you'd be wise to just boom and zoom any Entente planes other than the observers and recons. The Bebe is a better plane than the Eindecker series. Do not turn fight.

Whatever that wiki said is wrong. It's a known fact that wing warping is the worst way to control an airfoil. Aside from the sheer force it takes to warp the wing from the design, the system is inaccurate and creates a lot of drag on the rest of the aircraft as it twists such a large mass of wing

The ONLY advantage the Eindecker series had over all else was a forward firing MG that could carry a consistant 500 rounds without changing any clips or drums. That's it. Get the gun on target, get the hell out of there. If you miss...zoom away, climb and try again. Once you see enemy fighters...dive for the trees and get home.

Once the Halberstad and Albatros series are allocated, you can turn fight and knock down almost everything they have for a little while.

Good hunting!

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4565687 - 04/23/21 12:06 PM Re: Jasta 5 and the Fokker E.III [Re: Palajan]  
Palajan Offline
Palajan  Offline

Switzerland
Interesting, thanks, i will do so.
Because i had the Wiki statement in my mind i was turnfighting all the time (with 2 kills).

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM