Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4564310 - 04/15/21 12:42 AM Basic questions about EAW ?  
sixstrings Offline
sixstrings  Offline

Sulphur,La
Just reinstalled EAW since many years. Got it to work on win10 but have to use the cd. Is there a way around this ? Are there updates available and where can i get them? Is there a expansion or upgrade available ? Have 11 installs/expansions of CFS3 and3 of IL-2 1946 so i know a bit about sims. Enjoy playing such a classic as EAW.Played it quite a bit back around the late 90's. Any help will be appreciated . Regards,Scott

Last edited by sixstrings; 04/15/21 12:56 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4564312 - 04/15/21 01:01 AM Re: Basic questions about EAW ? [Re: sixstrings]  
sixstrings Offline
sixstrings  Offline

Sulphur,La
Oh another thing. I'm mainly interested in single player but open to multiplayer also.

#4564317 - 04/15/21 01:55 AM Re: Basic questions about EAW ? [Re: sixstrings]  
sixstrings Offline
sixstrings  Offline

Sulphur,La
Also where can i get a key command reference that i can print out .Dont know what is what and don't have the manual.LOL !

Last edited by sixstrings; 04/15/21 02:03 AM.
#4564322 - 04/15/21 03:05 AM Re: Basic questions about EAW ? [Re: sixstrings]  
Crashin' Jack Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur
Crashin' Jack  Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur

Illinois, USA
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Blasts from clustered R4M quartets in my snout
And see these English planes go burn...." Blue Oyster Cult

#4564324 - 04/15/21 03:17 AM Re: Basic questions about EAW ? [Re: sixstrings]  
Crashin' Jack Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur
Crashin' Jack  Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur

Illinois, USA
There are a ton of directions you can go. At the top of the forum there is the EAW TALLY HO link that will take you to many thousands of mods - campaigns, aircraft, tons of stuff. In the patch section there is no cd patch, by the way.

If you want to go to the next level, the 1.28e patch is highly recommended. It has tons of added features, and still looks mostly like the original game. You can get it here:

https://thatoneplease.co/Tally-Ho/NF128E.html

The most modern version is 1.60. It incorporates a new front end to load whatever campaign you wish to fly (they have most of them set up) and it's probably the cleanest way to set up and switch to different campaigns as it loads what ever you need at the push of a couple of buttons. Go to this thread:

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4564227/which-eaw-set-up-should-i-use#Post4564227

In Mr Jelly's signature is a link to UAW 160 Downloads, you can find info there. There are quite a few current threads concerning getting set up, look for "Gog" related threads. Gog is a page that is now distributing the original game, and there are many tips for getting set up.

CXheers,

CJ

"Blasts from clustered R4M quartets in my snout
And see these English planes go burn...." Blue Oyster Cult

#4564332 - 04/15/21 06:12 AM Re: Basic questions about EAW ? [Re: sixstrings]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
We fly multiplayer at GameRanger.
The installation that we use is "Reduced UAW160V4" which is a stand-alone folder and does not need a CD.

Check the start of this thread (17th March 2021) for the download link :

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4502725/1/uaw160-2020-downloads.

wink Jel

Last edited by MrJelly; 04/15/21 06:22 AM. Reason: Link added

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4564364 - 04/15/21 10:57 AM Re: Basic questions about EAW ? [Re: sixstrings]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Scott, you're very welcome and you've come to the right place for all things European Air War. I recognise your moniker and have encountered you in lots of WWII flight sim places, CFS, IL-2, possibly BoBII.

Here, you have the choice of a variety of Code Group options, on the one hand, or the alternative of Von Beerhofen's EAWPro. Both are easy to install and each has their own specific qualities. And now there is the third option of the GOG version.

As old as the game is, there are people (like Jelly and Jack) on here still developing and improving it. To me, it has been improved dramatically over the years, but retains that unique, essential atmosphere that has never been replicated.

For manuals and other information, not to mention multitudes of game files, there is the choice of Tally Ho and MarkEAW's information site.

Last edited by SkyHigh; 04/15/21 11:00 AM.
#4564392 - 04/15/21 02:09 PM Re: Basic questions about EAW ? [Re: sixstrings]  
sixstrings Offline
sixstrings  Offline

Sulphur,La
Thank you all for the help ! I'm sure i'll have questions in the future. EAW brings back fond memories ! Yes,i'm big into WWII air combat sims, with CFS3 and IL-2 1946 being my favorites. Love open engine sims that can be modded. I even have a Facebook group called Combat Flight Simulator 3 Fans with over a 100 members so far . Enjoy working on the sims ,but really enjoy flight time. Great to see there is still interest in EAW ,as few compared to it. Thanks again fellas for all the help ! Regards,Scott PS Can't believe i got it to run off a old saved install i had on a cd ! Have it patched right now to ver 1.28

Last edited by sixstrings; 04/15/21 02:24 PM.
#4564548 - 04/16/21 08:05 AM Re: Basic questions about EAW ? [Re: sixstrings]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Welcome to EAW!
New players should know the great thing about EAW is you don't really have to install it. Once you have a copy of the EAW 1.2 files in a folder ex. European Air War typically refered to as your "EAW folder" make sure you save an original copy.

The "EAW Folder" is the all-important concept to know of - that is where the addons are placed in EAW 1.2 at least.
In later EAW Codegroup versions the ability to point to where addons are to be used was made possible as MrJelly above noted.

Because you can upgrade in various ways.
You can upgrade the version, but also you can use Add-ons , which can be anything from the Planes graphics aka 'Skins' to scenarios / missions sets, terrains, skys, gunsights, etc. and also the performance of the Flight Models, damage, gunnery and armaments, so forth.

The other option is to just download another version that is either an upgrade package or standalone / complete version.

Since you are familiar with other combat air sims you probably know most people use some form of program or 'skin manager' to handle these add-ons. EAW has a long history of these in its early days people used stuff like 'STAB' and 'Skins-n-More' , see: vonOben's Flight Sim Mods

And also there were Enemy Coast Ahead and ECA Panel.

MrJelly made the OAW Selector a bit later then the heyday of EAW and OAW eventually replaced all those.
'Online Air Wars' became the thing and OAWunified was a complete set that is still available for 1.2 that offered a complete package and most importantly to upgrade the flight damage and gunnery model.
The EAWrp 'Realism Patch's developed by Knegel who was basically one of the best Aces of EAW and also had a fair amount of understanding of the technicals of EAW and the historical details of WWII fighters at least in the European Theatre of Operations aka "ETO"

Having the AI Cannon patch and Knegel's EAWrp is also essential for 1.2
The gunnery in EAW 1.1 ~ 1.2 was bad the gunnery shoots like a shotgun spread, the hitbubbles are huge, the AI's never can use the cannon and so forth like an arcade game. The first Cannon patch was 1.26 and that was the basics. There were previous hex-edited .exe's etc 1.1 BOB versions, etc but none of them had the AI cannon patch.

Later the Codegroup got the code and made some new .exe's Anyway I am retired from EAW but just thought to make again clear the basics about the EAW folder and there is no reason not to try / use / have multiple versions of EAW on your PC. Some have dozens of them.

Just be sure to alway make a copy of your originals before you start.

Last edited by FsFOOT; 04/16/21 08:07 AM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.