Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4563429 - 04/09/21 05:41 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It might have an alarm clock. It does display current time of day in the upper right when you are playing, so maybe so. I need to set it for 11pm, last night I played until 1 AM. Umm, I mean the last week I have played until 1 AM. I had been doing so good too, and then I bought Civ 6. Bah, it's only sleep before a long day at work, who needs it? smile

A hex map is better in my view, mainly for movement. A diagonal move on a square map costs more movement. For example of you want to move 3 squares NE on a square map you need to move north three squares, and then east three squares, for 6 tiles. On a hex map it's three tiles since you can travel diagonally. And with adjacency now a core factor, hexes allow more of this too.

One more turn is right. That's what makes me play until 1 instead of shutting down at 11. That's a two-hour turn! biggrin

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4563435 - 04/09/21 05:51 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Online sleepy
JohnnyChemo  Online Sleepy

Buffalo, NY
If there's no built in alarm, I'd put money on being able to find a mod in the workshop for it!

Another note on city placement - I also use it to deny resources to other civs or create a chokepoint or essentially take over a continent by placing it at a chokepoint to deny other civs access to the rest of the continent. And yes, I spend many turns looking for needed resources, planning future city sites, and deciding which civ will face my wrath next.

On that note, Germany has to go. No reason, but it's just about time. Almost 100 turns in and no war, they are the only other civ on the continent, I've got a tech advantage, and hey I can use those cities.....

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4563444 - 04/09/21 06:15 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  

Buffalo, NY
Does anyone else mute the little speach you have to listen to while the game loads? I'm so tired of hearing it, I could do without most of the voice work in the game tbh.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4563445 - 04/09/21 06:20 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That's right, Barbarossa must go. What difficulty are you playing?

Germany is a good civ, but get no real war bonuses aside from the uboat, but that doesn't come until Electricity. They tend to have great production though, so can respond quickly by mass producing units in short order. Having an army with enough units to establish siege status is key. You need enough units to surround the target city. Not every hex needs a unit because of zone of control which factors in too. Only melee units exert ZoC.

You really need some sort of siege weapon to take cities in Civ 6. I know, I tried to take a coastal city without walls defended by a single slinger with a couple slingers and warriors. This did not work lol. Battering rams and siege towers seem useful, but I'd rather sit back with artillery and let that do the heavy lifting. Coastal cities are the hardest, as you'll need ships to finish the ZoC ring. I'm sure you know all this already.

So therefore I now like to wait until I have catapults, and even better quadriremes to gain ranged attack from the sea. It's very disheartening to have an invasion attack fail because your units get shot to shreds. So the key is to take a big enough stick with you that you can overwhelm the defenses, get the siege in place and then batter it with your ranged units. Persia's Fall of Babylon ability is awesome here with +2 movement for ten turns. It also applies to every unit, even civilian, so builders, missionaries and everything benefits. Not much help when you're America, and doesn't really apply here does it? lol

I do not mute the speech. Initial loads are long and I'm often alt-tabbed out to check this or that. Maybe there's a mod in the workshop for this?

#4563463 - 04/09/21 07:37 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  

Buffalo, NY
....and of course, there IS a mod to mute the voiceovers! Good call DB!

-Robert Heinlein
#4563555 - 04/10/21 01:18 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK awesome, thought there might be.

So Khmer is now dead too. I feel sort of bad about it. Yeah they were aggressive with their religion, and I wanted that gone. But they were in no way prepared for war. Seemed a peaceful sort, so the beatdown I put on them seems out of proportion lol.

Their five cities were defended by a few horsemen and a swordsman, while I brought musketmen, bombards, field guns, frigates and cuirassier (that sounds plural already?). They didn't even have walls on their capital. I debated leaving them a city, but I want their religion gone, so I had to do it. Interestingly there were two small cities that I didn't want. So while my main army attacked their bigger cities, I sent a couple cav units plus a bombard and frigate to beat up on the other two cities for the XP and some pillaging. The bombard and frigate reduced one city to no defense, the health bar or whatever it would called was gone and no defending unit was in garrison. I didn't want to take the city at this point, but at the start of the next turn that city was gone. Not sure if it was because there was no defender in a completely reduced city, or if one of my city-state allies razed it. But I didn't expect the city to be gone having not even entered it. In the end I razed the second of these two cities and with that Khmer was gone.

So that's two civs dead, leaving Norway, England and America. At this point I am way ahead on score and leading all victory types (I had disabled Diplomatic). Because I planned to be on war footing for this run I started it much differently than usual -- different build orders/priorities, policy cards and more. Taking three Polish cities so early sure made a big difference, but still, this alternative course has proven quite strong. Persia's a really good civ for invasion warfare with their unique abilities.

Now it's time to secure some oil smile

#4563579 - 04/10/21 02:58 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Quite the warmonger, mate!

I guess I'll just call you Cyrus! biggrin

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4563584 - 04/10/21 03:18 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Quite right, for this run anyway. Some runs I never fire a shot. But honestly Civ is more fun when I'm at war. But I try to mix it up from one run to the next, always a different map, victory path, civ. Gotta keep it interesting. I should probably bump the difficulty another notch for the next one.

Norway will be next as I continue to roll them up. Norway, England and America are all in line, so I can just plow right through them one by one. The objective is to take capitals but with how this one is going I think I'll make my own objective of being the only civ on the map when it's over.

#4563639 - 04/10/21 07:07 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
This is a rather basic move I'd reckon, but when I was ready to attack Khmer, I stole their suzerain city-state. It was Bologna, and they were right next door to Khmer. As suzerain, Khmer was allied and Bologna would automatically join the war against me. They aren't a big threat, but any edge is welcome. I had one envoy with Bologna to get the +2 science to the capital. Khmer had invested 7 envoys. So while I was gearing up for this war, building the army and shipping it over seas I saved my new envoys. By the time I was ready for war I had 8. Of course there was a lot I could have done with them in the intervening turns, so this isn't necessarily the optimal strategy. But stripping my target of their only ally seemed worthwhile.

On the turn I declared war I spent 7 of those envoys all with Bologna to gain suzerain and then declared, with my new city-state ally by my side doing nothing really. But at least they were not attacking me! I kept the one unassigned envoy in case Khmer spent another so that I could quickly regain suzerain status. I do this sort of thing a lot. I have fun with the city-state competition, and there are some suzerain bonuses that are just too good to ignore so I pay close attention here and manipulate things to gain the ones I want. It's a cool game within the game.

I go all in with great person generation, and one of the suzerain bonuses grants culture for every great person you've recruited. This gets a huge culture bonus if you're popping the GPs out. Divine Spark is the perfect pantheon for this, and then I go for any other bonuses or wonders that boost it. By mid-game it feels like a new one pops every other turn. I have several that sit idle in my cities, waiting for the right time to spend them. Like one great scientist who grants a free library and university. So the next campus that gets built will get those for free. Some GPs are pretty useless, but they get better through time.

I decided to see if I could skip coal plants altogether to save the environment and delay or avoid rising seas. It's working fine so far. Only one geothermal tile in my realm, and all the oil I can see so far is offshore (which requires Plastics for offshore oil rigs so is much later) I have yet to research Steel to find them all and hopefully get some within my current borders. Strategic resources are more important in Civ 6 than Civ 5 with the upkeep costs in addition to the recruitment costs. Horses, iron, niter, coal, oil and aluminum especially as those are needed for the best units. Suzerain status can be a big help here since that gains you the city-state's resources. Encampment buildings raise your cap limit.

As I move Persia in to the modern era, oil will be key to finish off the other civs. I seem to be well ahead tech-wise, so if I can get my oil units up and running while the opposition is still running around with iron-age units then I will have no trouble finishing this one in short order. But I need to find some on land tiles to get it going early. Artillery, infantry, tanks, submarines and biplanes all are oil units and this is where the army really gets going. Battleships, which are a key part of my runs, are coal units, which helps a lot.

#4563660 - 04/10/21 09:22 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  

Buffalo, NY
The dawn of the Medieval Era heralded the beginning of a Golden Era for me - and the end of Germany.
I wound up with enough envoys to become suzerain to the three city states on my continent, so we ganged up on poor Barbarossa and pasted him but good. I had forgotten how much time it takes to really build up to a war - and of course the all-important positioning of your units for the city bashes.

*No really, those troops massing on your border are just passing through...you worry too much!! You gotta take it easy, Freddy!*

Denunciation? Bah! Just politics for the folks at home...honestly Fred, you should see someone about this persecution complex!

5 turns later

By the way, we're at war. Sorry man, but you know how it is....

I had built one catapult and Auckland had one too so I figured that for 2 cities it was good enough. I paid the fee and got to play with Aucklands toys for the war, though I got a little impatient and wound up finding out quite inadvertently that a couple of swordsmen were good enough to beat the city down to the point I could take it over.
Anyone interested in a low mileage catapult? Moved around a bit but never fired, fine woodgrain finish, corinthian leather bindings...and we have a great interest rate right now!

So now Germany is no more, and I have achieved total consciousness...er...control of the continent.

So I got that going for me.

Which is nice.

Last edited by JohnnyChemo; 04/10/21 09:26 PM.

-Robert Heinlein
#4563918 - 04/12/21 12:37 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Big hitter, the Lama biggrin

Great movie.

Good work getting rid of Barbarossa. I'm surprised you could take the city with a couple swordsman. They do like 25% damage to cities. What difficulty are you playing? Have you met any other civs? Who's on your map?

I finished the Persia run in a marathon session on a rain-soaked Sunday. Yard work was postponed and Civ was played all day instead lol. I wiped Poland, Khmer and Norway, but by the time the last city fell (London), America still had two cities and England one. I won't go for domination often, so good to get it done. Persia was way ahead on everything and it wasn't too difficult. Just the organizing and positioning for the invasions was tedious. But the extra movement after DoW is amazing, and I'll miss it when playing other civs. Persia is a strong civ, not just for the Fall of Babylon ability, but the internal trade route bonuses are good, not only getting extra gold and culture from these routes, but roads are one level higher than the era. I had fifteen trade routes, all going internally, at the end.

After that I bought the New Frontier Pass for full price. Could have saved ten bucks during the sale, but whatever. This adds a number of new civs as well as game modes, buildings, and more. The Platinum Edition isn't quite as comprehensive as i thought originally. Now I've got it all. I started a new run as Scotland with Secret Societies mode enabled, on a Seven Seas map, and bumped difficulty another level. The AI is much better (or gets more powerful boosts) and I feel like I got off to a slow start. Just three cities up by turn 100 and dead last on the score chart. Not a great region either, hard against the tundra at the bottom of the map. So I'll need to come from behind lol.

Scotland get +5% science and production in any city that is happy, which is doubled for ecstatic and additional great engineer and scientist points per city. They also get Persia's +2 movement when declaring a war of liberation, with the added bonus of +100% production for ten turns. Sort of a cross between Persia and Australia, but with the requirement of liberation, which is very situational. I do have Genghis Khan as my first neighbor, so I reckon they will capture some cities and give me some opportunities to use this strong ability.

So I will try and go for a science win, and prioritize amenities to keep the Scots happy. We also get a unique improvement, the golf course, which can be built once per city and grants gold, culture, one amenity and appeal. Secret Societies should provide a boost once I figure it out. I am not doing well with finding the things which trigger these societies (natural wonders, city states, barb camps etc). Usually by now I would have found a bunch of these, so figures in this run, when I really need to, I am not haha.

#4563925 - 04/12/21 01:32 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  

Buffalo, NY
I think I'm at Chieftain, so no real challenge there. That might be the default difficulty, like I said I just basically hit "Start" on this game. I was quite shocked that I was able to take cities with just swordsmen, but they had no walls or garrison, and Teddy gets a combat bonus on his home continent, so that may be part of it.
The only other civs I've met so far are Ghandi (India) and Harald (Norway.) Both are quite upset with me for offing poor Frederick. But they didn't have to live next to him! Empty beer bottles all over the place, and EVERYTHING smells like sauerkraut! And if I never have to listen to "Ride of the Valkyries" again it will be too soon!

I've been having problems with the game crashing so I'm using the DX11 version instead to see if that does anything.

We had a pretty rainy Sunday until mid-day, but I had inside work to do for a good chunk of it. :sigh

I dont' think I've ever played Scotland before, interesting choice!

-Robert Heinlein
#4563926 - 04/12/21 01:37 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I wanted to see why I was so last on the score chart. I feel like I play well, but when I checked that list I was shocked to see how poor my start was in comparison to the AI civs.

It's probably due to the free techs/civic and free settlers that the AI starts with. On Emperor the AI get two free settlers. The AI also get three starting warriors. Prince is the even mode, where the AI and the player start on the same footing. On King and Emperor the AI also start with a builder. So a stronger army, a free city and a builder all help get the AI off to a flying start. That can explain some of the gap I see. I knew it worked this way, just wasn't sure of what specific bonuses they get.

Difficulty setting effects

So it's natural I will lag behind in the early going, but with good play I should be able to snowball past them. I'll have to see who else is on my map, have just met Spain and Mongolia so far. If there are no strong science civs I should be OK.

#4563927 - 04/12/21 01:44 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
I think I'm at Chieftain, so no real challenge there.

Prince is default. That's an even field with no AI bonuses. Player has the same start.

I dont' think I've ever played Scotland before, interesting choice!

Neither have I, but they looked interesting for an isolationist, semi-tall science run. Amenities are usually precious in my runs so far, but here I know I need them and can prioritize. One good way to do this is to trade your extra luxuries for one you don't have. But continuing the theme of my poor region, there is no iron anywhere nearby. So I traded 30 turns of cotton for 36 iron with Genghis. Not enough to build even two swordsmen so I'll need to find some more, or trade for it. Finding some city-states will help. This was the worst exploration phase I can recall. Found fook-all really.

#4563967 - 04/12/21 06:17 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Oh yeah, two things to mention... One, I did indeed skip right over coal plants in the Persia run. It's not a big deal, everything in your cities still works, just doesn't get the bonus from power. So no malus nor bonus. I did build a couple oil plants, but by the time the game ended (around turn 300) there had been no change to the atmosphere stuff. I had built coastal barriers everywhere, but in the end they were not needed. So this is interesting in that let's say you are a landlocked civ, or at least one with few seaside cities.... you could use your coal plants to raise sea levels to hurt the competition. Not sure if the AI takes any steps to mitigate this, or in time. Seems like a good weapon for the right civ. Being a heavy CO2 producer does have diplomatic repercussions, so use with care.

Oil plants supply power to cities within 6 hexes. Just one more reason why tighter city settling is the meta in Civ 6. There are lots of bonuses with a short radius like this. All of it means settling 4-5 hexes away may pay off over time.

The second thing is that I'm playing the Scotland game on epic speed. This feels a little better, even in the early stages when tech is slow. The additional turns to research or build something takes some getting used to, but I think I prefer this speed over standard.

The third thing which I didn't mention lol, is that I will probably kill this Scotland run. While I was having lunch I was reading a thread about the re-balance update coming in the next week or two. A compelling case was made that Scotland is a likely candidate for a re-balance. I don't like the idea of finishing a Scotland run and then seeing changes that made me wish I had waited. Of course no one knows which civs will be affected, nor whether they will be boosted or nerfed, so who's to say? One poster made the point that the most recent civs are the least likely to be re-done. While this isn't clear, it does have some merit. So I think I will look to start a new run with one of the most recent civs added to the game.

Here are the most recent, all in the New Frontier Pass, in order newest to oldest

Portugal
Vietnam
Kublai Khan (Mongolia)
Babylon
Byzantium
Gaul
Ethiopia
Maya

Having run the rule over these, I think Ethiopia is the one I will go for. A faith based civ, they look to be strong for Religious, Culture or Science victory types. Actually, having read about them, they really seem tailor-made for my play style.

Every type of improved resource generates +1 faith. International trade routes produce +.5 faith per resource in the originating city. This has the potential to be massive faith production. In addition, Ehtiopia gets hill bonuses. If a city is founded on hills (which I always look to do anyway for the defense and production) the city then produces science and culture equal to the faith output! That sounds cool, and means it is a well-rounded civ as long as you meet the requirements. Seems like good synergy between those three, faith, culture and science. Their UB is the Rock-hewn Church which further boosts faith and appeal and cannot be affected by volcanoes!

Ethiopia can also buy archaeological museum and archaeologists with faith. That's great for culture runs, but not great for religious or science, but at the same time means you can generate culture which is always useful without focusing on it, but comes late in the game of course. This sounds like a fun civ with abilities that appeal to me, so I'll give them a go.

Last edited by DBond; 04/12/21 06:56 PM.

#4564224 - 04/14/21 12:27 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm 300 turns in to the Ethiopia run, emperor difficulty, epic speed on a small seven seas map with secret societies on. Massive faith generation. I misspoke when I talked about how Ethiopia gets a science and culture bonus from faith generation. The bonus is 15%, which is still nice. Any free stuff in a game like this is great. As a result I am a little ahead on science and way ahead on civics. The other civs are Georgia, Aztecs, Greece, Khmer and Canada. Greece wiped out Khmer within the first 100 turns. Later I would answer an emergency, capture Khmer's capital, but instead of liberating it I kept it.

Greece is a bad draw for me. They are pipping me to many of the great persons, and have generated triple the number I have. I have to essentially forget about some types, and concentrate on a couple (engineers and merchants) They are also wonder whores, snapping them up at a fast rate. I'm just chiiln', keeping pace while trailing by about 80 points on the score chart due to the points they have pulled from the GPs and wonders.

During one of the golden ages I chose Monumentality, which lets you buy civilian units with faith. That was great, as I could keep pumping out workers and a couple settlers instantly. I also built the government building that lets you buy land military units with faith. I have nearly 13,000 faith stockpiled. The plan is to attack Greece, but I will wait until I have artillery, bombers and observation balloons. That's still a ways off so just building and spreading my religion. I always make a custom religion called Mojo haha. I could win a religious victory, but it's just so tedious to manage. I will do one of these but on a small map with one or two civs.and cheese my way to the achievement. Maybe do a diety difficulty duel map against one other civ and just swarm them with missionaries, so I could get achievements for both religious victory and diety win.

Ethiopia is a strong civ and well-rounded due to their bonuses. They generate faith, science and culture well, but are probably unsuited to a diplomatic victory. I took Earth Goddess as pantheon, which grants faith for every breathtaking tile, so I tilted the map a bit by making it young age, so there would be more mountains, which make the adjacent tiles breathtaking. I am also aiming for Eiffel Tower. This increases the appeal of every tile in the empire by +2. Not only would it be a massive boost to faith (and as a result science and faith due to Ethiopia's bonuses), it will help all the other things that get bonus for appeal, like national parks and neighborhoods. I am saving two great engineers that each grant production to wonders, so that as soon as I can build it I can supercharge it with engineer boosts.Getting this would be a huge lift near the end.

Ethiopia is nice because it's well-balanced for most victory types, you can see which way the wind is blowing and go for most of them, and react to what's going on in the run. Versatile and balanced, no sense of railroading in to a certain path.

#4564232 - 04/14/21 02:51 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  

Buffalo, NY
Ghandi is being a pain in my butt right now. I'm about 250 turns in on my America run still, and he's got 4/7 civs converted. All the Great Prophets have been recruited, so I can't form my own religion to combat against it. I've been going for a science victory, and as a result I am way ahead in science. Ghandi has been spamming cities, he must have at least 10 of them on his continent. My world map has three major land masses, I'm on the smallest of them. Ghandi is on the next smallest, and eveyone else - England, Norway, Arabia, Hungary, & Australia are on the larger continent.

My current plan is get a few spies into Ghandi's operation, and I think I'm gonna have to take him out. I don't think he's close to me as far as tech goes, so I should be able to bulldoze him. The world congress also passed a basically anti-Ghandi resolution where everyone generates 100% more grievances towards him, and he generates 100% more as well. Now would seem to be the time!

-Robert Heinlein
#4564235 - 04/14/21 03:25 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good luck, Ghandi is a bastage! smile

In my Persia run the dumb AI passed a resolution that all military units were double production. I already had my army built, so....

If it's too late to start a religion, you can declare war on him and use your cav to snipe his missionaries and apostles, even if you never actually invade. I always try to beeline for a religion. I was fourth out of four in this Ethiopia run, on Emperor the AI does stuff faster lol. But I had generated so much faith that when I did I could instantly create two apostles for the beliefs and fill them out long before another civ had. So barely got it, then made it top tier right away. It's so dependent on which civs you draw on your map. In this one, Khmer, Georgia and Aztec all got theirs fast.

The key is to either build a holy site early, or to beeline Mysticism, which has the Revelation policy card that generates two Great Prophet points per turn. Getting a pantheon is the inspiration for Mysticism. So to snag a religion slot you gotta do two things.... find a way to generate 25 faith for the pantheon (sometimes you get lucky with a goody hut). And find a way to generate great prophet points. This is one thing I focus on right off the bat. I want a religion for the bonuses it grants, and theological warfare helps fill in the peace.

One of the beliefs I took is Tithe, which has been changed from granting gold for every four citizens following this religion, to +3 gold for every city following it. It may have been changed with the New frontier pass ( alot of things did actually), so without that it may still be every four following. 25 cities have Mojo as dominant so that's a cool 75 gold per turn just from my religion. I also took Scriptures, which increases religious pressure to combat the AI and spread my religion naturally. I can also build Gurdwara's, which grant faith, food and housing. The final belief I took is Holy Order, which gives a 30% discount on Missionaries and Apostles.

Many players ignore religion, but it's a key thing for me. It's the first real thing I try to accomplish. In order for Ghandi to get a religious victory, assuming you hadn't disabled this win condition, he needs to have his religion in 50% or more of the cities in every other civ. You can prevent his win by aggressively eliminating his missionaries and apostles that enter your lands. But without religious agents of your own the only way to do it is to go to war. I think I'd declare war and then just make it a defensive one, sniping his agents that come near. Unless you want his cities that is. Maybe use my cav to hit and run pillage his holy sites. Of course with enough pressure your cities could flip anyway. It's hard to counter a religious civ with none of your own. You need to be careful of taking his cities, each of which would increase the percentage of his religion in your empire. It's unlikely that he can flip 50% of the other religious AI civs, but something to watch for to prevent a loss. If he's already 4/7 it may not be out of reach.

You may know this but Ghandi seeks peace through nuclear proliferation lol. Keep an eye on that guy too!

#4564256 - 04/14/21 05:32 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  

Buffalo, NY
He's already converted my cities, so I can't stop him on that front. I do think that an all out war is going to be my best bet. It will get everyone else mad at me, but that's gonna have to be ok.
I made the mistake of completely ignoring religion - I did form a pantheon, but never pursued it beyond that. It does make sense to form one if for nothing other than a defense against someone spamming theirs like Ghandi is.
You're right, he's a right bastage!

-Robert Heinlein
#4564260 - 04/14/21 05:57 PM Re: Civ 6 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Oh, if he's already flipped you then it's a matter of hoping he doesn't flip the rest. I assume the three that have not flipped all have religions of their own, and if so you could be safe from a Ghandi RV. Yeah, I agree, get a religion even if you have no desire to do a religious victory. The defense as you put it, plus the nice bonuses from beliefs are well worth the effort.

If that were my game I'd monitor the victory panel and if he flips another civ then straight to war to try and prevent his win. Then you could still snipe his agents to help prevent him from flipping the remaining AI. Smash the holy sites. If his religious pressure is high enough cities can flip even without agents.

I'm going for a science win in my run too. It's a little different than Civ 5, but still the same basic procedure. I'm hoping my slight science lead + high production will see it through. I'm researching Refineries now and if I get oil that will be a big boost. Uranium might seal the deal.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.