Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4562271 - 04/02/21 03:48 PM reduced UAW 160  
pons Offline
pons  Offline

israel
Hi, I'm currently playing EAW from GOG and it works beautifully, but it came to my attention the possibility of changing teathres and playing different campaigns by using the standalone "reduced UAW 160 install. I downloaded and as per instructions expanded all files into a new folder. Everything worked all right, but when I click on the EAW,EXE I get a funky washed down screen with flashing yellow menu text, The mouse doesn't work so I can't chose anything. I can hear the intro music and that is all,
I'm running Windows 7 home premium 32 bit edition. Can somebody point me to a solution?
Thank you all
Pons

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4562277 - 04/02/21 04:23 PM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Hi Pons:
I have just copied a couple of old posts:
*******************************************************************************************************************************
I use the D3DWindower only in Vista on my old laptop and in Windows 7 on my desktop PC.
I need it because the single mission map screen is impossible to read for target and base selection.
However, if I fly at GameRanger, or want to fly "host only" multiplayer, I do not need the D3DWindower at all, and I do not need it at all in Windows 10.

My windower screen looks like this:

[Linked Image]

In windows 7 I double click on the "2020GR" and it launches.
Sometimes the first time it does not launch because of a Win 7 issue, but if it does not launch I double click again.

My configuration for the "2020GR" is this:
[Linked Image]

Setting height and width to zero forces it to use the default resolution.
The selection screens are in 1024x768 and the game runs in 1600x900 because that is set in the "eaw.ini" file.

On the "Window Mode" tab I have this:
[Linked Image]

On the "Foreground Control" and "Direct Input" tabs none of the checkboxes are ticked.

Here is a download link:
D3D windower English version

wink Jel

******************************************************************************************
How I installed the D3DWindower after downloading it

Windows 10 is tricky with the D3DWindower, and I do not need it.
However, as it is not installed on my Win10 drive I downloaded it from the link and installed it in Win10.

This has enabled me to takes screenies of what a user needs to do to install it on a Win7 drive

1. The download was a "rar" file which I put in a new folder which I had named "D3DWin" on my desktop

2. I extracted the files with 7-zip.

3. There were a couple of useless text files in the installation which I moved to a junk folder, so my folder looked like this:
[Linked Image]

4. For the next screenie I rearranged my desktop, but all that is really needed is your "UAW160 2020" folder open, and the window that you get when you run the "D3DWindower-English.exe"
[Linked Image]

5. I left clicked on the "eaw.exe" in the "UAW160 2020" folder and dragged it into the "D3DWindower" window.
[Linked Image]

The file did not actually move but shortcut for it was placed in the "D3DWindower" window.

6. I closed the "D3DWindower" window, and then re-opened it by running the "D3DWindower-English.exe" again.

7. To run EAW I double clicked on its icon in the "D3DWindower" window, and EAW ran in a window which was 1024x768 for the selection screen, and the size in my "eaw.ini" file for the game.

Because it was in Win10 and not Win7 I got a CTD when the game screen should have appeared.
I know that I can avoid that if my "eaw.ini" is set to 1024x768, but as I do not need to use the windower in Win10 I do not modify my "eaw.ini" setting.
*******************************************************************************************************************************

You should be able to adapt this information to get your reduced UAW 160 running.

wink Jel

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4562466 - 04/04/21 02:20 PM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: MrJelly]  
pons Offline
pons  Offline

israel
Thank you! At the beginning I had a few problems that I couldn't resolve because the progran's read me was in Japanese. I found the correct one and with your help I got it running. A problem remains. The window is too small to be useful, Is there a way to get it bigger? I have my desktop at 1920-1080. And I have only the EAW.exe in the window, but I see that yours show all the different battles....Thank you again and I await your help, if you have the time. S.

#4562468 - 04/04/21 03:12 PM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Check the pictures that I posted in my reply, particularly the ones below where I wrote: "My configuration for the "2020GR" is this:"
If you have your "eaw.exe" listed in the little d3d Windower window like I had my "2020GR" then click on your "eaw.exe" and set the options to that they are exactly the same as mine for my "2020GR".
If height and width are both zero then the selection screens will be in their default 1024x768 and the game screen will be in whatever is set in your "eaw.ini" file.
Once you have fixed this then we can come back to the other matters wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4562658 - 04/05/21 06:26 PM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: MrJelly]  
pons Offline
pons  Offline

israel
As things stand: I got as far Double clicking this icon starts as having the EAW.exe (your 20-20GR) in the window's program. Double clicking this icon starts the selection screen. I tried playing an Instant mission, and when it started it did so on the upper left side of the monitor, and filling maybe a third of the space.... I haven't touched the INI file yet, but I see is much larger that the one on my other GOG game. My desktop resolution is set up at 1920--1080. Is there anything I can do?
On the other hand I see Multiplayer listed on the selection screen an I wonder if the 160 version is meant just for online games. I don't play online for 2 reasons, 1.- I suck at flying, and 2.- my internet connection is very bad as in I get hit before I can spot anything....well...
Thank you again
S

#4562726 - 04/06/21 07:22 AM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

One step at a time smile
When I run my d3dWindower in Win 7 I have two installations of the Reduced UAW160V4 available on different drives.
If I right click on either I can select "Options" and it gives me the bottom window.
[Linked Image]
This is where you need to set the width and height to zero like mine.
With those settings the selection screens should be in their default 1024x768, and the game screen in whatever is set in the "eaw.ini"
Mine is set to this:
[GRAPHICS]
Width=1680
Height=1050

Thar gives me room for a border for the window on my 1920x1080 monitor.

The Reduced UAW160 is a general version and not multiplayer specific. It can even be used for careers with the correct combination of theatre and plane-set.

Have you used the "PlaneSetExeTheatreSwitchV4.exe" before you launched (which must be via the windower in Win 7)?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MrJelly; 04/06/21 08:05 AM. Reason: Picture added

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4562783 - 04/06/21 03:41 PM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: MrJelly]  
pons Offline
pons  Offline

israel
Hello. This is what I do. I have the exe file in the program's window, and right clicking it it gives me the options window. I have the with and high just like yours, but when I double click on the icon I'm presented with the game options centered on my screen, Instant Mission, single mission,pilot career....etc.
and selecting Instant Mission throws the window to the upper left side of the monitor which makes it very difficult to play.
And that is as far as I have gone, i haven't used the plane set theater switch yet., I'll wait to solve the resolution issues first.
S.

#4562787 - 04/06/21 03:59 PM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

You cannot fly an instant mission because their settings are based on single missions that you have flown, and you have not flown any.
What are the screen settings in your "eaw.ini" file?
Try selecting Game Set-up, then Graphics, and make sure you are running in d3d not glide.
Then try a single mission.

Last edited by MrJelly; 04/06/21 04:16 PM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4563525 - 04/10/21 07:34 AM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

That was posted four days ago and there is no response at this juncture.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4563528 - 04/10/21 08:30 AM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: MrJelly]  
pons Offline
pons  Offline

israel
Back on the saddle. Sorry for the delay. To answer your question, my INI file shows 1024/768. I did try running in 3d3 and trying a single mission, The result is a centrally located window covering a third of the screen. I don't thing the problem lays on the INI file because as an experiment I changed the with and high to 1024 and 768 to no effect good or bad.
I'm thinking if it might be my graphic card not being able to deal with some EAW 160 settings,,,, it is a Nvidiaq GeForce GT 730. I'm running direct x v. 11.
Thank you again and my apologies for the delay.
S.

#4563531 - 04/10/21 09:07 AM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

OK.
As I release EAW versions I always try to solve problems that users encounter, such as yours, so I would like you to try a few more things.
If we can solve the problem then I can help others who encounter a similar one.

If you have not done it already try installing the "BareBones" UAW160 from the first post in this thread:

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads....uaw-160-with-expansion-links#Post4562883

Let me know what happens when you run it.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4563554 - 04/10/21 12:55 PM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
pons Offline
pons  Offline

israel
Hi, I'll have to disappear for today, (family coming) but I've gone to your link and there I found three patches named : BB Patch 01, BB Patch 02, and BB Patch 03. I also downloaded the UAW 160 Barebones.exe. P;ease advice on how to proceed from here. I'll check tomorrow
S.

#4563557 - 04/10/21 01:46 PM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

1. Just run the "UAW160Barebones.exe" that you downloaded on your desktop. It will create a stand-alone folder named "UAW160Barebones" on your desktop.

2. Download this version of the d3dwindower: d3dWindower for desktop
Run it on your desktop and it will create a "D3DWinEng" folder on your desktop.
Open the folder, run the "D3DWindower.exe" and it should create an empty window.

3. Open the "UAW160Barebones" folder and drag the "eaw.exe" into the d3d windower window.

4. Double click on the "eaw.exe" in the d3d windower window to run EAW. You may need to do this twice in Win 7.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************
I followed those instructions exactly and ended up with this:
[Linked Image]

Reading the path you can see that the eaw.exe is in a "UAW160Barebones" folder on my desktop, so yours should be similar.
When I double clicked on "eaw" I was able to select a single mission:
[Linked Image]

I chose a Spitfire IXc:
[Linked Image]

The outside hangar screen appeared but I had to right click to bring up the hot-spots:
[Linked Image]
I moved the mouse to the bottom left of the screen and when "FLY MISSION" came up I clicked it.

It loaded, and soon I was flying in a 1024x768 window in the centre of the screen.

Editing the "eaw.ini" to give me 1680x1050 gave me a window that fitted nicely in my 1920x1080 screen the next time that I flew smile

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MrJelly; 04/10/21 03:34 PM. Reason: Pictures added

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4563591 - 04/10/21 03:45 PM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

This is what I get when trying to select a target or a base for a single mission in Windows 7 if I do not use the d3dWindower.

[Linked Image]

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4563793 - 04/11/21 03:40 PM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
pons Offline
pons  Offline

israel
Hi. I downloaded the "BAREBONES" program but it doesn't want to create a folder on my desktop so I unzipped on a folder I named BAREBONES, Opening the windower on my desktop doesn't show the EAW.exe so I copied and pasted the exe file into the windower only to have the window disappear. My thinking was that it needed the Hoock.dll to work so I sent the windower to the UAW160 directory, and sending the exe to the windower got the same results. Trying to run it directly by clicking on the exe got me a psychedelic pastel of the selection screen.
S.

#4563800 - 04/11/21 04:08 PM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

That is all very strange. As I wrote I followed my own instructions.
I had no trouble creating the "UAW160Barebones" folder on my desktop. Why could you not do that- what happened when you tried ?

I had no trouble creating the "D3DWinEng" folder either, and when I clicked and dragged the "eaw.exe" from the "UAW160Barebones" folder into the "D3DWindower v1.88" window it stayed there, and I could double click on it to launch the game. I did not copy and paste.

The "D3dHook.dll" should have been installed when you ran the "D3DWindower.exe".

Apart from the GoG version do you have any other installations of EAW on you PC?

If you have not then use this link to get a stand-alone folder with 1.26e (which is really a no CD and 7217 fixed version of 1.2)

Updated link for the EAW1.26E installation

You can install it where you like.

Let me know what happens when you run the "eaw.exe", and what happens if you drag the "eaw.exe" into the "D3DWindower v1.88" window and run it from there.

Last edited by MrJelly; 04/12/21 08:05 AM. Reason: Link updated

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4563882 - 04/12/21 06:32 AM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
pons Offline
pons  Offline

israel
OK. let's see: I blame myself for my ignorance, but the barebones zip does extract inside my download folder, and so does the windower, so I've sent both zip files to my desktop, and from there they have created 2 folders as you say. From here we still go south. The windower program, when opened, doesn't "see" the eaqw.exe, and as for clicking and dragging it ends with the same result , it just disappear and the windows closes. I've also tried to extract the windower program into my new barebones directory, but it does the same. .And as running the exe file from the bareboes gets me the selection screen , but the two upper choices are unusable because the mouse refuses to go there. It is like there is a barrier there. As you say, very strange. I hope you see the problem because from where I'm sitting it is like there is a course upon my computer....
S.

#4563889 - 04/12/21 08:01 AM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

You are not helping me at all when you do not do things that I ask. In my last post I asked if you had any other versions of EAW on your PC apart from the GoG version.
I gave you a link to download a version of 1.26E.
That is the simplest version, so I wanted to know if your PC can run it.
Here is the link in any case:

7217 fixed EAW1.26e full installation.

This one runs in Win 7 on my PC without the 7217 error.

I want you to install it to create the "EAW126" folder, run the "eaw.exe" in it and tell me what happens.
When I know, we can take it from there smile

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4563904 - 04/12/21 10:58 AM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
pons Offline
pons  Offline

israel

Sorry about that. Besides the GOG version and the UAW160 install, I don't have any other instance of EAW on my machine.
I've downloaded the EAW 1,26e file that I sent to a folder and extracted into the same folder. Tried to click the exe file and it gives me a blinking selection screen. The mouse works. The "arming" screen is all psychedelic but usable. mission starts OK and graphics clear without artifacts. The debriefing screen is heavily tinted in yellow,. No error reported.
S.

#4563910 - 04/12/21 11:21 AM Re: reduced UAW 160 [Re: pons]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Good, apart from the corruption it is running wink
Run the d3dWindower program and drag the "eaw.exe" from the 126 folder into the window.
Let me know what happens.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.