Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 278 of 366 1 2 276 277 278 279 280 365 366
#4563385 - 04/09/21 01:53 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
-Lou-

Freddy is a lucky one! Seems like the Boschs do not play in the rain.
Great pictures taken.

"What the hell do I care, I know I got them!" Raul Lufberry

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
#4563477 - 04/09/21 09:14 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Lou - it's obviously just as miserable weather wise on Freddy's side of the lines as it is Jacob's. Freddy did his job there, downing the balloon and getting himself and the squadron back safely. Tomorrow is another day, with a Jasta lurking behind that next cloud, who knows.

Jacob was very happy to down the Camel, he was in a spot of bother for a moment but kept his head.

You're right about BHAH II making it tougher for DID campaigners. Not that fighting a Camel should be easy. A well flown Camel should be a match for a DVa any day, but BHAH II has definitely cranked things up. It should be great fun biggrin

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4563498 - 04/10/21 12:07 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Walter Ludwick Spatenbrau
Unteroffzier,
Jasta 8
Bohain, Flanders.

1 Victory
1 Unconfirmed
1 pending

April 9, 1918.

Due to weather only 1 flight got off today. The kette + 3 cover machines had a brush with the kumpets over the lines. Our aero machines had the high perch so dive on the e/a. What swilling mess a true fur ball. My best shots came as two Englanders chased a D IIIa over the top of me , I fired a long burst got hits ? and as they went over one e/a flipped and dove away. I couldn't watch him as other a/c were trying for my tail. ( No Claim ) After reforming we had all our a/c , but Lt Wolf was wobbling all over the shy. He made it down but was Wnd. The flight did get 2 e/a destroyed.

Attached Files CFS3 2021-04-09 16-19-20-16.jpgCFS3 2021-04-09 16-21-07-20.jpgCFS3 2021-04-09 16-22-46-77.jpgCFS3 2021-04-09 16-22-43-96.jpgCFS3 2021-04-09 16-26-59-70.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 04/10/21 12:19 AM.
#4563500 - 04/10/21 12:10 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Albert Tross - N1s or not, a wash was certainly in order to get that potato stench out. The potato lorry certainly wouldn't have been his first choice of transport had he a choice in the matter, so getting out of it was a relief for him indeed. On a side note, those albatrosses really do have something to them, some aesthetic.

RAF_Louvert - The one and only SE5a with a Viper, indeed! Quite a plane, ain't it? Certainly had someone willing to not send him off to the trenches instead! What dreadful weather though, certainly not ideal for flying. The goggles do make it all the more entertaining.

2/LT Dean Andrews Cunningham
№64 Squadron RAF
Izles-Les-Hameux, Flanders
April 9th, 1918.

Today was the day I would finally have the joy of visiting the frontlines for myself. The very place I wanted to avoid I would now find myself right in the thick of, but at least in a very different part of it. Well, better here than right down there.
Waking up in the early morning I was greeted with what I'm sure is the second worst sight an airman could see in his line of duty, besides a foe stuck to his back; rain of most dreadful proportions. And here I was thinking that England had it bad... Luckily, my diminishing hopes were soon replenished by the sight of craft being brought out into the field and Captain Hayden who informed me of what was to happen. In spite of what he called 'a bit of gloomy weather', B flight was to carry out a frontline patrol this morning. I was to take off and fly with them to the lines to take a look at the situation for myself, before returning home. That isn't to say if I was to see a hun, in which case I would to turn and flee right away. While not fully happy with the idea of flying in such weather, it was too late to back down now, and regardless this was better than any potential alternative. At 7:20 I've reported to the flight leader, one Welshman Liutenant Ness and got myself strapped in.

Takeoff went smoothly, or at least as smoothly as sliding through a wet field could've went but soon I was up in the air, climbing higher and higher alongside a formation of other far more skilled airmen. Looking back, I saw A flight trailing behind with their own 8 craft formation. It relieved me, somewhat, knowing that I wasn't alone out here though it would've been naive of me to assume that this would last in actual combat with the Hun who no doubt himself had plenty of trusty comrades at his side. Still, some reassurance was reassurance nonetheless. Turning as we climbed came the more painful part of this flight as flying against the wind had us right in the path of the wind and the rain, with not even the screen nor my goggles being able to protect me from getting a constant splashing in my face. The only salvation from this came in climbing up above the rainclouds right as we came near the lines. Arriving at the lines some 18 miles from the home field, I waggled my wings to signal to liuetenant Ness and then broke off. Flying on a northern course along the lines opposite of Vimy, I got to see for myself just what I was avoiding by being up here in the clouds: scorched, ripped up and otherwise blackened mass, like a cancer on the flesh of the Earth. Shaking off a crawling feeling of dread, I flew on for a while longer with relief that I wasn't the one having to crawl through that hell of wire, mud and explosive gunfire before finally turning back towards Les Hameux, now free of the rain in my face. Following some minor run ins with turbulence and a near close encounter with a tree I let my craft glide down to the field and managed to slow myself down at the end. Greeted by Hayden, I received a curt but genuine congratulation and was informed that with this he was now satisfied enough with seeing me flying around to have confidence in sending me off on an actual sortie. My first flight in the air war as a truly qualified pilot laid ahead...

Attached Files Shot04-09-21-23-21-40.jpgShot04-09-21-23-25-21.jpgShot04-09-21-23-34-43.jpgShot04-09-21-23-36-50.jpgShot04-09-21-23-48-08_1.jpg

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
I bet you do, too, Buddy."
#4563513 - 04/10/21 02:40 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, I suppose the SPAD driver didn’t want to go just yet and he didn’t count on getting shot down just yet either.
So, Jacob’s first battle and first take down. Well done. Kaiser is proud of his subjects fulfilling their duty. Too bad the good job could not be verified. That is always frustrating, but the Camel from the afternoon mission made up for this. Good job losing that Tommie in the cloud. Now, off you go to celebrate! Lovely shots.

Lou, as long as the enemy has to deal with the same gun jams, I’m ok with it too. Hopefully one day a gun jam will save Rudi’s life. Anyone else’s guns seem to sound a bit feeble? Rudi’s Spandaus sound nothing like what they used to a week ago. So, no AI just VM? I’m sure the propaganda machine is turning and spreading misinformation to the enemy. Nevertheless Rudi will have to check with Göttsch and ask for verbesserter mittelflügel for his mount.
So, Freddy’s been on a sausage hunt. Looked like a successful roast and no Huns around. Perhaps they’re all installing verbesserter mittelflügel on their machines? Fingers crossed for that nicer weather tomorrow.

NotRelevant, looks like our potato man is already getting some preflight jitters. A few flights under his belt and this should subside. Now, flying in rain will never get any better with time. Dean will have to endure. Well done on that first assignment. Now, to taste that first victory ...

9 April, 1918 05:45 morning mission
Balatre, Flanders Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
Oberleutnant Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO, PLM
72 confirmed kills

The Strutter has been confirmed. The SPAD not so much.
The flight was circling the field when Fuchs noticed a flight of enemy planes. Rudi had them in his sights. They were at about the same altitude and the hunt was on. He was so intent on closing the distance that he’d never noticed the Strutter that had closed the distance on Fuchs first. Glass and splinters everywhere! Bullets zipping by! Rudi banked to make it stop, but the Strutter pilot was intent on making a kill at any price. He rammed into the Dreidecker’s rear, damaging it even more, then flew beneath and reappeared in front of Rudi’s guns. Fuchs couldn’t do much with his plane barely holding in one piece. He fired at the enemy as much as he could and then decided to get down to the airfield below before his bottom falls through the floor. As he gently spiralled down he watched the rest of his Schwarm take care of the insolent Strutter. By the time they were done with him he was a one-and-a-half winger. Rudi concentrated on making a perfect landing. He didn’t want to hear what his Che ha nice had to say about the state of his machine.

YouTube Link

9 April, 1918 11:30 noon mission
Balatre, Flanders Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
72 confirmed kills

Jasta 19 was on their way to take out a balloon near Montdidier. They never reached the assigned target. Just before crossing the lines they’ve spotted Flak over a troop camp near Roye. Enemy planes were harassing the camp and as soon as the Dreideckers arrived a hair raising furball ensued. Rudi eliminated two of the ugly Scout Experimentals and was on his way to finish off a third one before running out of ammo. Same old story.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4563547 - 04/10/21 12:07 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline
trustworthykebab  Offline

Sorry for the inactivity, but I've been really busy in the last days. Since I must begin again from ground 0, I decided I'll fly past the training as I've been told it ain't necessary anymore, so that I can effectively help my country. Will hear from me again very very soon

#4563595 - 04/10/21 03:59 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Awesome pics and yarns this morning.

#4563624 - 04/10/21 05:38 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

This campaign is really heating up gents! Only appropriate as we are in the last months of the war, only we don’t know it yet! Don’t feel bad Trustworthy, your not the only chap that hit a busy streak. Visiting kin folks, spring work at the farm, hobbies and getting WOFF Between Heaven and He’ll II up and running, it’s been a bit hectic. Great stories and videos gents. We have fresh faces and fallen heroes since my last post.

I had a hard enough time living in the “old sim”. It’s going to be much harder now. I’ll tell April 5, 1918 from my real life point of view.

Finally, everything running smooth. Time to catch up Kemp’s story with an afternoon of flying. “No operations today, your mechanic has fitted your machine with a new engine. Take her for a few spins around the field to check her out. “Ok, that’s a cool bit of immersion” me thinks. Once on the field I see 13 specs up high. “Mmmmm.....well, nobody said scramble.” I start the engine and look again. “No Archie, must be a friendly flight! Off we go.” I had climbed about 1000’ when I noticed the flight diving. “Uh oh!” I turn back toward the field and get swarmed by a whole bunch of Strutters! This child ain’t never seen so many tracers flying by his kite! Archie and ground fire finally woke up and as I start to land get hit! It’s 18 days in hospital for Karl Kemp! I hope the nurses are of the caliber Carrick gets! WOFF is a whole new universe of danger gents! Be careful.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4563634 - 04/10/21 06:39 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Carrick - A wise choice by Spatenbrau not to go chasing that SE5 down when others are on his tail. The SE's leave the Pfalz standing in terms of speed so you'd could have had real problems. Live to fight another day.

NR- So Cunningham was a bit nervous before that familiarisation flight. Not surprising really it's perfect weather to get jumped. It's done now and he can build his experience now hopefully.

Fullofit - Wow, more Strutters on the attack. There's obviously a totally mad French Strutter Escadrille near Rudi, hellbent on bringing him down by the look of it. They nearly succeeded as well. Good to see Rudi was able to shrug off the morning's crazy moments to bag a couple of SEs.

MFair - Oh no, that's not the way to test a new engine. What is it with all these Strutters attacking! It's like the French have created some sort of penal Escadrille with orders to attack everything.

TWK - RL has a habit of doing that so don't worry.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4563644 - 04/10/21 07:19 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Flugmeister Jacob Kühn
Marine-Feld-Jagdstaffel 1
Jabbeke

1 confirmed kill

10th April 1918

Morning sortie

As Jacob climbed into his Albatros he looked around at the mist, the huge clouds and the rain pelting him and wondered how much worse this weather could get.

Oberleutenant Saschenberg had briefed Kette Zwei about this morning's sortie. They were to head off towards the lines near Passchendaele. The Kette would be led by Leutenant Heinrich again.

They took off and headed towards Ghistelles where they formed up and climbed. Visibility was virtually non-existent and Jacob scoured the grey mass nervously.

Having reached 4000 meters which seemed to take forever thanks to the turbulence, they headed off towards Passchendaele.

About twenty minutes in, Jacob was craning his neck searching and as he looked above and behind he saw a large formation of aircraft. There was no flak and Jacob was able to identify them as DFW's and breathed a sigh of relief. 'They're off to give someone a pasting' Jacob thought as he carried on searching..........then he froze. As he looked above, out of the clouds appeared another formation, arrow shaped and heading straight for the DFWs.

Jacob signalled to the others and started to climb. There was simply no way he could leave the DFWs to be annihilated. As he climbed he recognised the enemy aircraft as SE types. Suddenly the enemy aircraft gave up their attack on the two seaters and dived towards Marine-Feld-Jagdstaffel 1.

Jacob avoided the first attack and came around looking for an opening. Two of the SEs had singled him out and Jacob turned towards them. He fired into one of them who rolled away. He then entered a series of scissors with the other SE. Jacob was patient however and waited for an opportunity. The SE tried to zoom up and Jacob saw a chance, he fired into the SE and clearly scored hits.

The SE now dived and ran for his life. Jacob thought about following but they were near the lines and the SE was considerably faster and already pulling away.

He looked around and saw several other aircraft now running for the lines.

He couldn't see any other Albatrosse so decided to head for home. On landing he found several of the Kette had taken hits but without loss.

Afternoon sortie

Oberleutenant Saschenberg briefed the Jasta on the afternoons sortie. "We will be heading out to Ypres again. Our ground forces are about to launch a huge attack on the enemy around there with the aim of driving the English into the Channel. We are to seek out any enemy aircraft and drive them away" explained the Oberleutenant.

"This is a vital moment and we must support our ground forces with all our might" he concluded.

Twenty minutes later Jimmy and the rest of Marine-Feld-Jagdstaffel 1 were taking off.

The weather was just as awful as the morning's sortie and Jacob felt the aircraft being buffeted around by the strong winds as they climbed up.

Once at 4500 meters they moved off towards Ypres.

Jacob looked and felt a sense of relief as he looked out upon the rest of Kette Zwei and then onto Kette Eins, the whole Jasta was airborne.

They reached the front at Ypres without incident and this continued for the next ten minutes.

Jacob then looked behind where Kette Eins was following. He was shocked to see a large melee breaking out with Kette Eins in the middle of it. Jacob signalled the others and turned to help.

As he got closer he saw they were up against Camels and looked for an opening. He had height on the swirling mass of aircraft and picked a target. A Camel was directly below him and about to attack another Albatros. He dived down onto the unknowing Camel and hit him hard. The Camel rolled away but Jacob went with him. He hit him again and the Camel tried to climb away. Another burst from Jacob tore a wing from the stricken Camel and Jacob watched as it spun all the way down to crash into the lines themselves.

'One more crater in a sea of them' thought Jacob as he looked around and saw no threats.

He looked out at the ruins of Ypres to his left and as he saw no other aircraft he made his way home.

Jacob filed his report and whilst the fight could be confirmed, the claim would need confirmation from the ground forces.

"First rate job Herr Flugmeister" stated Oberleutenant Saschenberg. "You are demonstrating the skills needed to succeed and the determination our country needs more than ever now" continued the Oberleutenant.

"Go and relax now" he finished

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpgA5.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpgB6.jpg

#4563646 - 04/10/21 07:22 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Fullofit - Indeed, probably would just take time for the potato flyer to take in the position he's in and accept it all. The weather certainly isn't helping though! Reckon before he overcomes his first foe he'll have to overcome the weather and rain first. Good
Good god though, that Strutter must've had a deathwish of some kind. Had he flown a few meters higher he'd probably have turned his attack into a suicide one for himself and taken Rudi with him!
Tross - Certainly would be easy to get jumped by someone with those clouds. Or accidentally slam into someone. With some luck, maybe Dean won't have either of those happening to him.

№64 Squadron RAF
April 10th, 1918.

FIRST PATROL

Waking from my sleep I was once more greeted by heavy rain. The terrible weather has not graced us with a prompt disappearance, and instead chose to linger on and make my life even worse. First thing on the menu for today was a patrol over friendly lines. A formation of 8 craft headed by Captain Hayden himself would take off at 6:20 sharp and head north east to patrol between Bethune and Loos. Takeoff proved simple enough, as did the climbing, though things soon took a turn for the worse as our patrol lead us into cloud after cloud while the rain kept on battering us without mercy. Time again I would almost lose sight of the flight in the cloudy soup, while others I would emerge and find someone else nearly rammed into me. How anyone considered this flying weather really does baffle me greatly. After spending some time above the lines we departed having not sighted a single hun nearby. Maybe their command was more merciful than ours and kept them grounded than flying out here in these conditions. On our way back I also had the pelasure of experiencing Archie for the first time, as someone on the ground must've seen us leave through all the clouds and sent a few rounds our away, leaving puffs of black smoke in their wake. While missing us by a margin, it still gave me a rather nasty fright. The worst part of this flight had to be the landing, as the rain only intensified in the time we were out flying, resulting in most dreadful visibility. Consequently I underestimated the glide slope and found myself desperately pushing up the throttle to avoid a tree before bouncing my craft on muddy field and sliding past the bounds of the airfield, stopping just before my engine block became acquintanced with a tree. From there, I watched the rest of the flight land and afterwards helped the mechanics push my plane back to the field. As it turned out, we had yet another flight scheduled for later in the day, leaving me wondering whether or not command even looked out the window today.

Attached Files Shot04-10-21-18-06-54.jpgShot04-10-21-18-46-11.jpgShot04-10-21-19-09-59.jpgShot04-10-21-19-18-10.jpg

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
#4563683 - 04/11/21 12:09 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

№64 Squadron RAF
April 10th, 1918.

SECOND PATROL

At 11:30 came our second flight of the day. As an entire squadron we were to take off and head due south east to meet up with RE8s of the 53rd RAF and then escort them over to the frontlines near Loos and guard them from any sneaky Boche during their recon operations. Takeoff came and went smoothly, with us in B flight going first and A flight trailing behind to assist us if we were in need, though being frank that was the last I've seen of them. After a prolonged climb we finally caught up to our less able friends and began a long and slow flight over the trenches and into hun territory. The clouds and the rain were an ever persistent bother, with losing the formation being a constant issue, though thankfully both cleared themselves out eventually as we've reached the RE8 operation area. The Hun, as one would expect, wasn't entirely happy with us having a joy ride above him and soon enough we were engulfed in a storm of Archie. While it wasn't accurate, it was still incredibly worrying to fly in and seconds felt like hours waiting for the bombardment to finally stop. In the midst of all this, I've happened to sight that a distance away lay an emptied aerodrome though it seems that no one was home, luckily for us I suppose. Following another three or so back and forths along the enemy trenches our friends from the 53rd finally turned to head home and we followed suit. After bringing them back home without any trouble, we like any well mannered lads would promptly turned and headed back to our field, not waiting for an invitation for coffee or tea and landed without issue. The mess tonight was filled with frustrated sentiments at the state of things at the front and these blasted clouds and rain, which I couldn't agree more with and merely pray to any gods out there that tomorrow I wake to a day without either.

Attached Files Shot04-10-21-23-29-04.jpgShot04-11-21-00-00-25.jpg

#4563685 - 04/11/21 12:10 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Walter Ludwick Spatenbrau
Unteroffzier,
Jasta 8
Bohain, Flanders.

1 Victory
1 Unconfirmed
1 pending

April 10. 1918

The Kumpets are up in this soggy weather so off the Jasta's remaining 7 pilots were off into the dark skies for intercept. The British had and Escorted Recon over the lines according to Arty Ob's. In the heavy rain soaked clouds we found 1 RE and a fight (5) SE types going in a circle. I dove on the 2 seat then zoomed firing at a Scout stayed high in case I need speed to help a wing mate ,but by then then fight had passed me up or gone to the deck. Score 1 SE scout, 1 RE type Losses 1 destroyed + 3 Damaged. Unless Replacements come up our status is 13 a/c 6 pilots..

Attached Files CFS3 2021-04-10 16-38-32-22.jpgCFS3 2021-04-10 16-49-24-86.jpgCFS3 2021-04-10 16-51-59-19.jpgCFS3 2021-04-10 16-53-36-20.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 04/11/21 12:18 AM.
#4563700 - 04/11/21 02:48 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Kebab, no worries. You fly when the time allows. Despite all the rumours we don’t charge by the hour.

MFair, aye caramba! A Flieger down! Hope you’ll be getting all the proper care from the well trained, professional, demure and very attractive nurses.
BTW, I think OBD should rename BHaH2 to DSC - Deadly Strutter Combat.

Albert, so far Strutters have given Rudi the most run for his Deutsche Mark.
Now, it looks like Jacob is about to enter a deadly tournament with those SEs, a formidable opponent for the Albatros. Better keep it safe, don’t follow Tommies across the mud. They’re just waiting for it.
Then comes afternoon and another patrol. But there is nothing ordinary about it. A bout with some Camels and our Flugmeister scores one for himself. Hurra! Now the wait for the confirmation begins. Another set of lovely action shots.

NR, good to hear Dean’s accepted his lot in life. It’ll make this flying business that mulch easier.
It is true, that Strutter was suicidal and I’m surprised he could still keep his crate upright after shaving Rudi’s tail feathers.
So, a relatively uneventful outing for Cunningham, perhaps for the better. Let him get used to this “in the air” feeling first.
Despite all the early trepidation Dean looks comfortable in the cockpit of his SE5. Very atmospheric shots.
Then a nice ride babysitting big birds. Dean should thank his lucky stars it was just raining and not raining Huns.

Carrick, keep Walter alive long enough o get him into a new machine. It should get easier from then on.

10 April, 1918 04:45 morning mission
Balatre, Flanders Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
72 confirmed kills
Awaiting two claim confirmations

Jasta 19 was up and at them very early this morning.

[Linked Image]

They had a job that needed finishing. The balloon near Montdidier was still hanging in the air and they’ve been ordered to see to it that it doesn’t stay up there for much longer. Fuchs and the rest arrived over the target area without any opposition and the balloon was destroyed by the combined firepower of the entire Schwarm. In the end however the honour went to Scheller.

YouTube Link

10 April, 1918 12:00 noon mission
Balatre, Flanders Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
74 confirmed kills

The noon job was all Schwarm Zwei. They were sent to patrol friendly front lines from Amiens to Montdidier. As they were approaching their patrol area Rudi spotted an enemy flight. It was a formation of enemy bombers on their way to do no good, no doubt, and they were escorted by a single SPAD. Fuchs found that odd. Was the enemy getting this desperate, or careless? They would have to correct this oversight. He turned towards the enemy formation and watched the SPAD separate and come at them. Rudi watched mesmerized as none of his wingmen reacted to this maneuver. They didn’t budge when the enemy came from behind and flew through the middle of the Schwarm. Only the quick reflexes of the German ace saved him from certain doom. The enemy fire finally awoke Rudi’s Schwarm and they all began to hound the biplane. By this time the bombers joined the fun and began attacking the Dreideckers. Rudi was on the back of one instantly and firing. His plane receiving some of the hate from the enemy machines, but he persevered and set the Bréguet on fire. He then banked to avoid more fire from behind and managed to latch on to the SPAD. The French pilot spun out of control after receiving damage from Rudi’s Spandaus and that was the last they ever saw him. The rest of the Schwarm took care of the remaining bombers and formed on Rudi right after. The Schwarm returned to Balatre.

YouTube Link

Rudi landed his Dreidecker and saw Schwarm Eins pilots already on the airfield all standing in one place talking to each other, sharing cigarettes. Their discussion was subdued, without the usual jovial banter or laughter. Fuchs knew something was wrong. He approached the group.
“- What’s wrong?” He asked Tybelsky standing with the rest, his eyes cast down into the ground underfoot. Albert took a quick glance at his friend: “- It’s Göttsch. Our Jastaführer is dead.”
“- Dead? How? What happened?” Fuchs couldn’t believe it.
Tybelsky took a deep breath. He didn’t want to talk about it. It was too fresh in his mind. He saw his C.O. go down after a burst from the rear gunner of the Harry Tate he was attacking hit the side of the cockpit.
“- The backseat Boogeyman got him. He crashed near Gentelles. There is no chance he survived that. At least he got that Schwein RE8. I saw it force-land in the mud.”
“- Those two-seaters! Something has to be done about them!” Rudi’s blood was boiling.
Tybelsky took another deep breath. “- Let’s go. We need to have a drink in his memory.” He hooked his arm around Rudi’s neck and guided him toward the Kasino.
As they were walking away, Tybelsky reflected: “- Did you know this was his 20th Luftsieg? He would have been up for the Blue Max. Scheiße!”

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 1918-04-10 AM.jpgJasta 19.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4563714 - 04/11/21 05:59 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
-Fullofit-

Great Story and even greater Clips! Sad to hear about Götsch. Great flyier!

Last edited by LtCasey; 04/11/21 06:00 AM.

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
#4563724 - 04/11/21 08:42 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
NR - Cunningham is active finally, well as active as he can be in this godamnawful weather. He should look on the bright side (no pun intended, despite the weather), he's got two patrols under his belt and is experiencing the worst weather Flanders can throw at him.

Carrick - I like the way Spatenbrau is picking his fights. If the option is there hit them hard, but if that means taking undue risks in that Pfalz, he thinks again. Surely a new aircraft can't be too far away.

Fullofit - Rudi did well even spotting that balloon in that murky soup. Then he did a fine job dispatching that Brequet. Finally bagging the SPAD as well. What a horrible ride that must be, a lurching spin down from 10000 feet knowing there's nothing you can do about it. As for the rest of the Kette, they need a sharp lesson in identification or orders not to daydream it seems. Poor Göttsch, the Jasta has some reorganising to do.

I saw Rudi took a fleisch wound during that melee, nothing serious I hope.

#4563755 - 04/11/21 12:03 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline

8/9th April 1918
Feldwebel Helmut Adler Mitteleuer
Jasta 48, Marne-Flanders

Oh boy, is this different! If there's one thing they don't train you for, that's the tampering sound of non-stopping artillery. I two days ago, by train. I was introduced to the squadron, the people seem nice. But in all honesty, on my trip here, I haven't heard many nice things. It seems to have a pretty low reputation around the Luftstreitkrafte. What I didn't know was that later in the day, right after lunch, our CO rushed in calling for attention. "Gentlemen, the war in the Flanders region has came down to be critical for our victory, we will depart at 1400 hours to reach our new airfield, at Ham/Eppeville, south-east of Peronne. Pack your stuff. On a side note, all Albatros DIII machines shall be retired, you will all use Pfalz scouts from today on.
And so we arrived at Ham/Eppeville. The atmosphere is...Darker than in Marne. Barrages are present way more often, rain is almost never ending. We had just arrived in the thick of operation Michael. The next day we took our time to fidget with the newly allocated machines and performing a couple of familiarization flight.

10th April 1918
Feldwebel Helmut Adler Mitteleuer
Jasta 48, Ham/Eppeville, Flanders

1st Flight
This morning we were awaken by our commander, Kurt Küppers, who quickly briefed us after breakfast. "Gentlemen, our first mission in this sector will be escorting a flight of two Hannovers, they'll be directed towards north, between Bapaume and Arras."
Well, I can just say the flight didn't go as great as you'd expect. Once we climbed, the mist and the rain were so intense we couldn't locate the two-seaters we were meant to escort. Extremely pissed, the schwarmführer decided to RTB, so we landed. The morale seems as poor as the reputation the squadron holds, I hope things will turn out for better in the next days.

2nd Flight
At around mid-day, we were called back in the briefing tent. "Another flight with such crappy weather?" I whispered to one of my fellow airmen. "Welcome to the front" was the answer I received. Seems like they're not as picky as the flight school in Koln, here.
"Alright boys, we have a more interesting assignment for you now. You're going balloon busting today. Exciting, eh? Well, the flight is pretty straight forward. Directly west of our airfield, behind enemy lines." I was just about to go grab my flight gear, when Küppers grabbed me by my shoulder while the others exited the room. "And Mitteleuer, you're the Schwarmführer today. Show me what you got." I was baffled, why would he put one of the newest airmen as the Schwarmführer, moreover such important assignment? Well, I said to myself I couldn't disappoint him. And so we took off. The cruise was relatively smooth, apart from the usual mist and rain. Upon reaching the location, we descended below the clouds, as we quickly identified the balloon. I dived, giving in a first strafe, while another pilot behind me finished the job. I felt a strong feeling of satisfaction, I had succesfully lead an attack at an enemy balloon! We formed up, and went back to Eppeville. Something that wasn't quite rolling for me, though, was the absence of enemy aircraft in the area. Wasn't this supposed to be the place of our big offensive? Where were all the enemies we were supposed to engage to support the operation? I still don't know, I guess time will tell.
The morale seems to have gotten better than the previous days. I think I'll try to cheer them up, I just commissioned a nice paint scheme for my machine.

Attached Files Shot04-10-21-14-25-59.jpgShot04-10-21-14-35-18.jpgShot04-10-21-14-45-19.jpgShot04-10-21-23-18-14.jpg
#4563782 - 04/11/21 03:01 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Albert and fullofit : I think the option is if I can keep the pilot out of trouble long enough then he might survive

#4563785 - 04/11/21 03:10 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
Monsieur Lasconte will not be fit to fly again. His leg will stay stiff and he is limbing. He is withdrawn from the roster of ESC.26.

Sorry Guys, I will have some business oportunities in the upcoming week(s), which will require my attention, so Im out of the DID campaign.

#4563786 - 04/11/21 03:11 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline

Do not worry LtCasey, real life first as always. Good luck with the buisness opportunities!

Page 278 of 366 1 2 276 277 278 279 280 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM